Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phishing

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2008, 08:40 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phishing

Don't know if it's just me but I am getting these bank-type emails on a daily basis asking me to log-in to update my account and/or security details. It's usually from a fake Abbey or Lloyds TSB and I've always wondered who would be stupid enough to be taken in by them.

However, I got a new one last night which seems more plausible. Here's the cut&paste from the email:-

Dear customer,

Abbey National is constantly striving to provide you with more convenience, control, and security to assist in managing your finances.

That is why we are proactively alerting you of the following activity on your Online Banking Account:

Transfer Amount: £1,500.00
Transfer Recipient last 4 digits of account number: xxxxxx7210
Transfer Recipient Name: Roy Gregory.

If you did not authorize this transfer please be informed that there has an unauthorized access into your accounts click here to sign in and confirm your account information in order for us to verify your real identity and cancel this transfer.

Note: For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time. Deliberate wrong inputs will lead to being suspended from online banking, because without confirming your account information with us, we would proceed to authorize this transfer within 24hrs.

Sincerely,
Abbey National plc.

I don't bank with Abbey, but millions do and someone's going to get caught - if we report it to our company's systems team, they are very quick to block the link but I do feel for the gullible ones out there
Old 05 September 2008, 09:31 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My entire family and all my friends know that if they ever click a link in an email that asks for any sort of personal details they will be forced to wear a t-shirt that says "I deserve all I got" for a week.