Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phone contracts

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2008, 09:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mobile phone contracts

O2, orange,vodafone or t-mobile which is the btter network for coverage, reception and choice of phones ??? I'm with 02 at the moment but think I may need to change networks to get a descent phone. Very tempted with orange but what are they like for reception or dropping calls ??
Old 03 September 2008, 09:43 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vodaphone have the best network coverage by far!
I pay £25 a month for 150 mins and 100 texts, which includes voicemail retreval (most don't). I rarely have to pay mor e.
I don't know what phones they have on offer, but I'm going to check, 'cos I'm due a new one! My present one is a Sony walkman with 3.2Meg camera, which ain't bad for such a cheap contract.
Old 03 September 2008, 09:45 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

£25 is a bit steep.

I'm on three, coverage is average IMO, £35 per month 750 minutes, 3000 texts.

Orange are doing the same deal for £40 iirc.

Pay Monthly Mobile Phone Price Plans - Vodafone vodafone have some cracking deals too! NEVER buy a phone from a shop if you want a good deal. Always go online.
Old 03 September 2008, 09:49 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Orange refund you a minute for each call that drops, which is a plus, but rarely an issue for me.
Dont usually have a prob getting a signal. On a stormy day I had full signal at the top of Snowdon lol.

As a whole though, packages, customer service etc, Orange has been my best service provider so far.
Old 03 September 2008, 11:31 PM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

+1 for Orange.
Been with them for years, recently changed to O2 lasted 4 days and went back to Orange, partly because the new iphone was crap, and O2`s customer service is appaling.

Pay £30 a month for 600mins and Unlimited texts with new Nokia (unsure of model) has sat nav and a 5mp camera
Old 03 September 2008, 11:36 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

With orange for two years, they then dont like you after that, and refuse to play ball re upgrades...

went to O2 ditto, now with voda,

lets see how long they keep customers for

Mart
Old 03 September 2008, 11:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by nixxon
Vodaphone have the best network coverage by far!
I pay £25 a month for 150 mins and 100 texts, which includes voicemail retreval (most don't). I rarely have to pay mor e.
I don't know what phones they have on offer, but I'm going to check, 'cos I'm due a new one! My present one is a Sony walkman with 3.2Meg camera, which ain't bad for such a cheap contract.
Your minutes must be extremly valuble to you

im paying £17 a month for 1200mins and 500 texts on O2

Last edited by dpb; 04 September 2008 at 11:44 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2008, 12:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

With my pleasure mobile phone (excluding the work one), I am on monthly contract with O2 Sim Only ATM; Only 15 squids a month for 200 texts, and 200 talking minutes. But, a mate of mine has seriously glorified that high flying G3 Iphone by O2 to me. He was playing his big speakers music system with that phone in his house; along with p!ssing about with his Plasma and 2-screen computer. So, I may end up getting that Iphone now on 35 squids a month. It is a smart phone, fair play. BTW, my mate is a lecturer, not a Carphone Warehouse salesperson on commision
Old 04 September 2008, 01:40 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i work for voda and i've read all the mobile mags and reports, i know voda is the best for coverage. we also have now very competitive price plans and new phones. £25 600mins unlimited texts free phone (tocco, c902) not bad
wiley
Old 04 September 2008, 09:43 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wiley
i work for voda and i've read all the mobile mags and reports, i know voda is the best for coverage. we also have now very competitive price plans and new phones. £25 600mins unlimited texts free phone (tocco, c902) not bad
wiley
Whenever I have been on vodafone, or anyone else that I know for that matter, signal strength has been an issue. That's the reason why I cancelled my contract with them.

Now on T-Mobile flext 30 I think. £140 work of credit to use how I want for just £25 a month.

Signal coverage is almost as good as o2.

Whatever you do, don't go on vodafone.
Old 04 September 2008, 09:46 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm on Orange. £35/month

400mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet (not that I use it).

Think reception depends on the phone TBH. I changed handsets to a slimmer phone, and reception isn't as good as my older phone. Same network
Old 04 September 2008, 11:10 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Three here £22 per month, 1000 texts, 300 voice {any} 50 video, 50mms, £5 to spend on downloads, although they do not do that package anymore they do have some good offers on the mix and match packages.
Old 04 September 2008, 11:14 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
With orange for two years, they then dont like you after that, and refuse to play ball re upgrades...

Mart
Suppose it depends what you want from the provider, but I get almost any phone I want, usually for free, on any of my contracts, usually a few months before the end of contract too.

Like I say, its gonna depend on your spend on the account, and how you go about it, but personally I cant complain.

Was even offered an N95 the day they were released for free, without even asking for one lol (£600 handset at the time) and then given £5 a month off the line rental too lol

Just waiting on my E71 now, and looking forward to extending my contract again with Orange
Old 04 September 2008, 11:17 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Suppose it depends what you want from the provider, but I get almost any phone I want, usually for free, on any of my contracts, usually a few months before the end of contract too.

Like I say, its gonna depend on your spend on the account, and how you go about it, but personally I cant complain.

Was even offered an N95 the day they were released for free, without even asking for one lol (£600 handset at the time) and then given £5 a month off the line rental too lol

Just waiting on my E71 now, and looking forward to extending my contract again with Orange
I have a similar experience with Orange...

On Monday i called CS to ask - can i please get the unlock code for one of my old mobiles i had with them, it should have been a £20 charge, this was waived. They also knocked £10 a month of my line rental just because i have been a customer with them for so long!
Old 04 September 2008, 11:20 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IanW
I have a similar experience with Orange...

On Monday i called CS to ask - can i please get the unlock code for one of my old mobiles i had with them, it should have been a £20 charge, this was waived. They also knocked £10 a month of my line rental just because i have been a customer with them for so long!
lol when I called up to report the niece's phone lost they waived the sim replacement fee, when my phone was recently soaked on a walk a ruined the waived the replacement fee on insurance, and of course on orange care it was replaced the next day by courier

Really cant grumble, but have friends who dont like them, so I guess its pot luck really.
Old 04 September 2008, 11:39 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Can someone help me?

If you ask for your PAC number are you disconnected instantly from your existing supplier? I've been with O2 for a squillion years and I was thinking of changing because they've been no help over the last week.
Old 04 September 2008, 11:59 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Can someone help me?

If you ask for your PAC number are you disconnected instantly from your existing supplier? I've been with O2 for a squillion years and I was thinking of changing because they've been no help over the last week.
Normally you get a new number with your new provider, and when your number transfers over, that becomes dead, and your old number starts working again.

That is how it worked when i moved to Orange anyway.
Old 04 September 2008, 12:43 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

The PAC is valid for 28 days, if not applied to another phone account it becomes void, but once given to the new provider it only takes a couple of days to transfer over.
Some networks are crap at letting you have the PAC codes though, O2 were shocking, gave me the wrong code twice. One way to retain customers I guess.

But as Ian says, you can start your new account immediatly, but confuses some people giving them your new number for a week til the PAC code kicks in lol
Old 04 September 2008, 04:12 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that boys!

When I rang O2 this morning and asked for my PAC number, they said I would be disconnected. I haven't actually decided yet whether or not I'm going to change suppliers, so it put the wind up me when I thought I wouldn't have anything.

Snazy............I can confuse myself on my own thank you.......I don't need any help!
Old 04 September 2008, 04:28 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Thanks for that boys!

When I rang O2 this morning and asked for my PAC number, they said I would be disconnected. I haven't actually decided yet whether or not I'm going to change suppliers, so it put the wind up me when I thought I wouldn't have anything.

Snazy............I can confuse myself on my own thank you.......I don't need any help!
lol I had to sit down after that post

If you dont give the PAC to anyone, and its not used, it disappears, and your wish to leave and retain your number diappears with it.
But as a rule, your current provider will not cut you off til its used, unless you have given 30 days notice too.
When i left they said if I used the PAC they would take that as notice of end of contract.

Was glad to be free of them to be honest.
Old 04 September 2008, 06:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

So orange is coming out the best ?? I need loads of minutes, txts and internet so I may swap over in the next week or so
Old 04 September 2008, 07:36 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

I changed from o2 to t-mobile, I find coverage round where I am is ok although I have had a few issues in remote areas.

I got my pac code from o2 without any trouble, and just carried around both phones until the number transfer took place. Once thats happened your old contract terminates automatically. Just make sure you transfer any sim contacts to the new sim before it transfers, because after that the old sim is not accessible. My old phone continued to work right up until about 10 mins before the actual transfer.
Old 05 September 2008, 01:44 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

Default 3

Robbing bunch of illiterate socially inept 2 faced snidy sneaky misleading misfits ive ever had the misfortune to have a contract with. After being misold a phone on contract in a shop in meadowhell by a 4 eyed slimy barstool I found out that I could have the same contract for less if I had gone via customer services.
They told me to take the fone back as I hadn't used it at all the shop refused said I had opened the packet which I hadnt the shark(salesman) had to show me the fone which I told the manager. The saleman called me a liar I told the shark to eat me and move on before I punched his lights out and told the manager I would be back with a witness.
Went back with girlfriend who is quite mild mannered but I ended up having to stop her ripping the ***** off the shark, so as I left the shop I told everyone in there that the shop was full of employees that were misleading idiots and they all left.
I give the shark the finger everytime I see him in the shop

Orange run on the same network as 3 which was quite frankly dire.
Currently with T-Mobile no dropped calls no network issues costs me less than those robbing barstools at 3 and better fones

And breath
Old 05 September 2008, 01:51 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Whenever I have been on vodafone, or anyone else that I know for that matter, signal strength has been an issue. That's the reason why I cancelled my contract with them.

Now on T-Mobile flext 30 I think. £140 work of credit to use how I want for just £25 a month.

Signal coverage is almost as good as o2.

Whatever you do, don't go on vodafone.

you what?

are you seriously suggesting t mobile has better coverage than vodafone

I have drivers all over the country and the ones with t- mobiles usually have a voda one for when its out of reception which is a lot of the time as soon as you go outside town.

Generally though you get what you pay for and it depends whether you can afford to have a phone out of coverage much. I take business calls on mine out of hours so am with Voda its probably the most expensive network but does have the best coverage. However for a personal mobile O2 and orange are fine usually Orange seem to offer the better deals
Old 05 September 2008, 02:10 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im still shocked that Orange and 3 share masts, and their service is the same?
News to me lol, but Orange has a good signal, especially round all the area's I frequent

I am pleased to be in the folds of Orange Premier too
Old 05 September 2008, 02:12 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

3 share with Orange when they dont have their own transmitters in the area, not the other way around as i understand it. 3 used to be partnered with o2 i believe to cover the areas that they didnt have any 3G coverage in.

Orange Premier is where happiness lies in the Mobile Phone world IMO
Old 05 September 2008, 02:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

3 share with Orange when they dont have their own transmitters in the area, not the other way around as i understand it. 3 used to be partnered with o2 i believe to cover the areas that they didnt have any 3G coverage in.
Makes more sense to me that way round. Phew lol.

Orange Premier is where happiness lies in the Mobile Phone world IMO
Amen to that
Old 05 September 2008, 02:24 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Am on Orange

£30 a month - 1200 Minutes 500 texts 250mb data with free insurance

Never ever ever get anywhere using them...lol
Old 05 September 2008, 02:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Am on Orange

£30 a month - 1200 Minutes 500 texts 250mb data with free insurance

Never ever ever get anywhere using them...lol
Never use all the minutes ?
I get through about 400-500 of my 600 minutes a month usually, and through a lot of texts, so my tariff is about right. On the main account anyway.

The one im just upgrading now hardly gets used at all, but I still get nice treatment when it comes to upgrades.
Old 05 September 2008, 02:30 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I dont get ANYWHERE near my limits! But that is because Orange sent me a text offering me unlimited evening and weekend calls for £5 a month, then couldnt activate it on my account...

So for £5 extra they gave me 1000 any network off peak minutes per month!

Quick Reply: Mobile phone contracts