The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown announces a 'root and branch' approach to how we deal with Russia

LOL!
The Press Association: Brown to review UK-Russia relations
'Writing in the Observer Brown stated....'
Russians must be trembling in their boots with all this fighting talk

And Russia, i do wonder what thier response will be - shut up, tow the line or we turn off the heating fuel supplies this winter.

Kinda of hard to play tough when you do not have a leg to stand on, oh and having a pop for invading another country - Blimey Gogs - pot and kettle mate I know you where not in charge back then but 2nd in comand eh
Old 31 August 2008, 10:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think he is really scraping the barrel in a vain attempt to impress us all with his "tough" attitude.

Does he really think that Russia will take the slightest bit of notice of his meaningless wanderings? As Paul says-how can he say something like that when he went along with the illegal attack on Iraq. His witterings about Europe becoming less dependent on Russian energy supplies bely his underlying reasons for concern since we are so dependent on importing energy now due to their own policies anyway.

Les
Old 31 August 2008, 01:35 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ironically it gives a whole new meaning to "Cold War"
Old 31 August 2008, 02:39 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

The Russians also know the U.N is now a powerless,split organization after the farce of doing nothing in Bosnian,Kosovo and the whole Iraq war.Russia also knows that the Nato country's have cut defence budgets and America and Britain's forces are stretched and undermanned.
Old 31 August 2008, 02:48 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
tow the line or we turn off the heating fuel supplies this winter.
Apparently we don't receive any gas directly from Russia.

They do supply the likes of Germany, Italy and France etc but not the UK.

That's not to say it wouldn't cause chaos in the UK in terms of fuel prices!!

It's reported if Russia did turn off the supply the Baltic region could ramp up it's output but only for a maximum of 1 year.
Old 31 August 2008, 03:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think he is really scraping the barrel in a vain attempt to impress us all with his "tough" attitude.

Does he really think that Russia will take the slightest bit of notice of his meaningless wanderings? As Paul says-how can he say something like that when he went along with the illegal attack on Iraq. His witterings about Europe becoming less dependent on Russian energy supplies bely his underlying reasons for concern since we are so dependent on importing energy now due to their own policies anyway.

Les
I don't think that the Russians are in the mood to listen to anyone, or PM or anyone else for that matter. Russian nationalism is on the march, and it presents a huge challenge to the west, the real flashpoint could be the Ukraine.
The only spot of good news is that they are as dependent on selling Europe gas, as Europe is upon it.

Last edited by Martin2005; 31 August 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 31 August 2008, 07:56 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I don't think that the Russians are in the mood to listen to anyone, or PM or anyone else for that matter. Russian nationalism is on the march, and it presents a huge challenge to the west, the real flashpoint could be the Ukraine.
The only spot of good news is that they are as dependent on selling Europe gas, as Europe is upon it.
...only if they demand their island back. Though actually, the Ukrainians would have to invade first after getting past Russia's Black Sea fleet...

IMO we only "did" the Balkans last time out because Milosevic embarrassed enough leaders and didn't know when to cash in his chips and leave the game. Hence, Kosovo... Which broke the "law" of statehood. Now the Russians do similar in Georgia and apparently they're in the wrong?!?!

We're entering a very dodgy phase in international relations. I don't want another cold war because all that would mean is that Russians and Americans would fight each other through intermediaries. In some other poor fsckers country.

J.

Trending Topics

Old 31 August 2008, 08:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Does a 'root and branch approach to how we deal with Russia' mean we'll fend them off with sticks when they invade us
Old 31 August 2008, 08:25 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most EU countries are toothless, however, the 5 or so that are are more than capable than taking on Russia
Old 31 August 2008, 08:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Does a 'root and branch approach to how we deal with Russia' mean we'll fend them off with sticks when they invade us
Roots are what we will be eating and branches are what we will be burning to keep warm
Old 01 September 2008, 01:45 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

As a Russian Scoobyneter, let's just say this . . . . .Brown is Donkey, and David Miliband is just a New Labour puppy . . . . . .Sure there will be a lot of hard talk, but at the end of it, the conflict with Georgia is, and will remain local, not Global . . .

. . . .It seems to me that Sakashvili, ( a lawyer from New York), had the grand idea of upsetting the status quo of Southern Assetia full knowing what the Russian responce would be . . .It was a gamble...It was his gamble thinking that a Russian incursion will provoke an international outcry . . So much so that prompt NATO intervention will follow . .This, however, was the result. . . .

YouTube - SAAKASHVILI RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE

A self professed tough leader running for his life at the sound of an approaching Russian jet . . .What a w@nker!

. . . . .What is , however, important to relalise, is that indeed there is a surge of Russian national pride, but standards in international relations, as some of you have pointed out, are slipping . . .UN toothless, independence of Kosovo, illegal invasion of Iraq all seem to make it a bit of a free for all...And true to form....Russia is not a Banana Republic that will listen . . .

. . . Anyhow..I have friends in the Republic of Geogia...And we are still best of friends . .
Old 01 September 2008, 02:01 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Good, post.....nicely put, there..... I think, anyway....
Old 01 September 2008, 02:15 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Corradoboy! My old friend! How are you???
Old 01 September 2008, 02:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Jolly, good........
Old 01 September 2008, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Yes I think you are right. The ex KGB man is not to be trusted and he will revel in having the power that he has over energy supplies to Europe. I think his dependence on selling it is marginally less of a problem than Europe would be without it however.

Saying what Flash has done is quite valueless I think.

Les
Old 01 September 2008, 02:14 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

The main issue with all of it for me; is not Russians sinking Georgian boats or nicking Western tech out of Georgian army compounds.

It's the lawlessness, the vacuum, exploited by the haters on both sides. The irregular forces and militias. Particularly the South Ossetian Russians seem well worked up and willing to push any native Georgians off their plot.

Generally speaking, armies behave themselves to a greater degree. They are accountable to higher authority. The strong should protect the weak of both sides. This, to me, means the Russians should have done more to police the region.

J.
Old 01 September 2008, 02:34 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I get more annoyed with people using that chronic phrase 'Root and Branch'

It got up my nose when they were explaining Englands failure to qualify for the World Cup and what they were going to do,a 'Root and Branch' examination of English football and now it has found its way into Politic speak
Old 01 September 2008, 02:46 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Saw this today, making the same point...

WE'RE A GIGANTIC COUNTRY FILLED WITH OIL, GAS AND WHEAT, RUSSIA REMINDS EU
Moscow is braced for a Bovril shortage.

RUSSIA brushed aside the threat of EU sanctions last night, stressing it is a vast country, filled to bursting with absolutely everything it needs.

As foreign secretary David Miliband told Russia its continued support for South Ossetian independence was incredibly rude, the Russians continued with their purchase of another 700 square miles of Surrey.

Russian prime minister Vladimir Putin said: "Sanction what? Maybe you cut off supplies of Colman's mustard and H and P sauce, yes?

"Or maybe you cut off supply of gas and oil. Oh wait, we have more gas and oil than all you put together. In fact I am having more gas in lower intestine than in all of North Sea. You want my gas?

"Maybe we cut off your gas and no turn back on until you sing Bryan Adams song and give foot massage."

He added: "Also I have wheat farm size of France so am being unlikely to starve. Or maybe I just take half of grain from farm and use it to bury Scotland. You know, for laugh.

"But, oh no, maybe you cut off foreign investment, yes? Maybe you no buy our football teams, our mansions and our vast, highland shooting estates?

"Anyway, who care? We go do business with Arab and Chinese who not give gold-plated, sweet and sour ****."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/we're-a-gigantic-country-filled-with-oil%2c-gas-and-wheat%2c-russia-reminds-eu-200808291211/

5t.
Old 01 September 2008, 02:46 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
I get more annoyed with people using that chronic phrase 'Root and Branch'

It got up my nose when they were explaining Englands failure to qualify for the World Cup and what they were going to do,a 'Root and Branch' examination of English football and now it has found its way into Politic speak
Exactly, it get's right up my nose too.

Now, changing the subject, can we have a root and branch examination of the infraction system please?