Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

That Car programme (ITV) last night.

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 01:58 PM
Rob FTM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only caught the end of this but could someone please explain exactly HOW someone could be defrauded out of the price of a new car? And how the same car could be sold more than once?

This allegedly took place in a car supermarket in Yorkshire but I just cannot figure this out. Surely you just go to the police - don't you?

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks.

Rob.
Old 07 February 2002, 04:47 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

the problem with these programmes is they try to sensationalise things.

I'm not defending the obvious defrauding, bad workmanship overcharging ripping people off. But, when they did a bit about hire cars abroad the final statement was something like 11 of the 18 cars tested would not have passed an MOT in the UK.

That's terrible you think. But if you randomly picked 10 cars on the road today and put them in for an MOT that day I bet half would fail.

Just a thought.
Old 08 February 2002, 08:53 AM
Rob FTM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that LegacyPete.

The wife is just about to pick up her new car form the Supermarket in Derby (!) and whilst they have been polite, efficient and cheap, I just wanted to be on my guard on the very small chance that I too could fall victim.

Thanks again.

Rob.

BTW is appalling that this kind of ****e still goes unpunnished. AND i agree about the MOTS in this country and lets not even get onto uninsured cars.
Old 08 February 2002, 09:23 AM
rs-gary
Scooby Newbie

you are missing the point about the hire cars,your own car might fail an mot,so we have one every year and most people would fix it if need be,these cars are for HIRE so are driven by anybody with the money,go to a hire company in this country and the cars have to be in good working order and if old enough mot'd,most are brand new and are replaced after 10000 miles,its a buisiness that hire to joe public so the cars should be maintained thats the point it was getting at
cheeRS gary
Old 08 February 2002, 12:26 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

rs-gary.

I'm not missing the point at all.

yes the big companies like Hertz and Budget yes will have new cars. But there are loads of small companies that hire out older cars. Only last week I hired an M reg BMW 328.

The other point you say is in this country when your abroad the laws in this country don't apply. I agree that some of the cars they use are bad, but these are small 'local' companies. You can still get cars from the big companies and these will be new or at least newer vehicles. So like for like it is the same as in this country. If you pay £12 to hire a car for a day don't expect it to be the newest latest car.

There cars may be unsafe, but look at there roads!!!! Yet they still don't have as many accidents as we do in the UK.

Old 08 February 2002, 01:02 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

I think that the hire car stuff was a bit over the top, they were paying peanuts for cars and expecting them to be fantastic...

Never mind hire cars, I think if the average taxi was stopped for an MOT check the results would be horrifying. I'm always disgusted that such sheds can be used to offer a service to the public.
Old 02 July 2002, 04:35 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Simple, a person thought they had bought a car. Said car is then left in the showroom to see if anyone else makes a better offer. If so the salesman phoned up the original customer and feeds them some rubbish about a cracked chassis or something else, 'tell you what, seen as this has happened, we'll do you a good deal on another motor'. Customer thinks [i]'oh, how honest and kind' and buys a different car from them. In the meantime, the company is declared bankrupt and customers have paid for a car that they didn't get, police can do little.

[Edited by legacyPete - 2/8/2002 12:59:04 PM]