Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Suckered on kitchen knives.. £348 to £25

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2008, 04:11 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suckered on kitchen knives.. £348 to £25

'If it sounds to good to be true it probably is' yep. Always snigger at those watch adverts £500 but £99 to you etc

Anyway,stood outside a kitchen (respectable) shop.Offer in window,£348 knife set reduced to £25.

Thought wait till you can check out scooby knife thread before you buy.Didn't and just impulse bought .

Load of tosh.Sharp as a pallet knife.Think they are called 'Prima 'knives.

Search on the internet....although they seem to be german or swiss with ' Rostfrei' stamped etc apparantly junk stuff made in China

Just a warning.Anyone find NSR kitchen knife thread BTW cos I can't!
Old 15 August 2008, 04:16 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I'll stick with my Globals thanks, £170 for set of 6 in Costco
Old 15 August 2008, 04:18 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Here's a couple:

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...tml?showfull=1

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...er-advice.html
Old 15 August 2008, 04:19 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

We got a £300 set of Globals as a wedding present - they are crazy sharp! I'm still really paranoid using them because any false move isn't a case of, "oh darn I nicked my finger" but rather 100% assured trip to A&E as only bone will stop the blade even with no force being applied to it (i.e. it's own weight).
Old 15 August 2008, 04:24 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
We got a £300 set of Globals as a wedding present - they are crazy sharp! I'm still really paranoid using them because any false move isn't a case of, "oh darn I nicked my finger" but rather 100% assured trip to A&E as only bone will stop the blade even with no force being applied to it (i.e. it's own weight).
Good aren't they, just remember to keep your fingers out of the way when using them. If you use proper chef type cutting techniques you'll be fine. Do get a bit complacent with mine on occasion, sliced through one of my nails the other week but didn't get as far as the flesh
Old 15 August 2008, 04:24 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Should just pick one up around London, from what I hear they are pretty popular at the min and must be sharp.
Old 15 August 2008, 04:49 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...knife-set.html
Old 15 August 2008, 05:05 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Globals are knives for tarts
Old 15 August 2008, 05:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

thats not a knife, this is a knife

that's not a knife... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 15 August 2008, 05:23 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Globals are knives for tarts
Yep , I love mine too
Old 15 August 2008, 05:42 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I better not get any posh ones then. I am probably the most dangerous - to myself - person in the world. Only got to cut a bread roll, and it's a trip to the first aid box
Old 15 August 2008, 07:56 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Sharp knives are safer than blunt ones though - you're not using so much force, so you're less likely to slip and cut yourself in the first place.

I have a couple of Kasumi knives - Kasumi Knives at Low Trade Prices - and use them all the time. You're much better off with just one or two really good knives rather than a set of rubbish ones - I had a set of Sabatier knives beforehand and was really disappointed with them
Old 15 August 2008, 08:17 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

mine are sabbatier are they good ?
Old 15 August 2008, 10:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
mine are sabbatier are they good ?
My BIL is a pro chef, he swears by his sabattier set, mind you he payed a

shed load for them

Mart
Old 15 August 2008, 11:06 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Haha Ive got some globals but was in John Lewis last Xmas and saw some chap selling this knife that could cut through a hammer. It was like £22 for 6 knives so I bought em as stocking fillers and kept one to try. Yes they are sharp but the blade flexes so much its hard work even cutting bread. Never used it since.

Simon
Old 16 August 2008, 12:33 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

what part of a hammer?????
Old 16 August 2008, 07:47 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The steel head. Also through frozen meat etc. But the blade is so flexible it makes it impossible to use for slicing bread, tomatoes etc.

Simon
Old 16 August 2008, 09:23 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

The trouble is most trades won't really test a knife, hence why a boning hall is the perfect place, it needs to be sharp, stay starp, be easy to sharpen and keep it's edge, not snap at the slightest hint of pressure while remaining flexible plus remain well balanced and comfortable.

F.dick are what most places use i can assure you, sabatier/global as said are mainly for tarts, it's like buying a car just for it's badge, same thing applies here for the most part.

Ive worked in boning halls/abbatoirs since 17, im now 34 and the old man held a slaughter license for over 30 years, victorinox or f.dick were all used.
Old 16 August 2008, 09:25 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I think you've posted on the f dick before hux, I remember looking into them and they were very reasonable .
Old 16 August 2008, 09:47 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Yup, people have a tendancy for thinking the very best has to cost the earth, not so, a knife is just that, it doesn't matter what the cost is as it's still just a lump of metal, all you're doing is paying extra for the name.

Ive seen globals and they appear too weighty and that handle would slip easily, ive seen it happen and before you know it you're off to a&e for cutting through your tendons.

Sabatiers are again too weighty for trade use but perfectly fine at home, the trade knives have to use coloured handles according to what their use is, like raw meat has to use yellow, there's also red,green, blue etc

Last edited by hux309; 16 August 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:06 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the consumer ranges are quite smart as well so not like you're going to turn your kitchen into a butchers. Looks like a good alternative to the "department store" brands.

f dick, f dick knives, f dick knifes, f dick set

I've got a few Globals but I've fancied trying the ceramic bladed ones, anybody used those?
Old 16 August 2008, 10:29 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

You always get youngish chefs not long out of catering school with their shiny globals, after a few years that soon changes.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:47 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
The steel head. Also through frozen meat etc. But the blade is so flexible it makes it impossible to use for slicing bread, tomatoes etc.

Simon
How the hell can a knife cut through the head of a hammer!! WTF! I'd have to see that to believe it!
Old 16 August 2008, 10:52 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Ive seen globals and they appear too weighty and that handle would slip easily, ive seen it happen and before you know it you're off to a&e for cutting through your tendons.
Yeah but how many people are using their home globals set to routinely cut through an entire animal, bone n' all. Also, as the knives spend 99.9% of their life on display in the kitchen I'd say that aesthetics is an important function of such a knife. We aren't big cooks at home but the globals look good, feel good and go through absolutely anything we've thrown at them with utter ease. As a knife for the home you can't ask for much more than that.

To use your anology it's no different to the BMW M3 vs tricked up scooby/evo. The Mitiscooby's may be able to accelerate quicker, turn sharper, make quicker progress and be more fun to drive but the guy that bought the M3 wasn't particularly thinking about all those aspects of driving when he bought it. His priority list was almost certainly quite different.

Also with the gloabals the back of the blade (sorry I don't know the terminology) where it becomes the handle is a vertical blunt edge. If you lock the finger next to your thumb up against that then you can't slip your hand onto the knive edge.

Last edited by LG John; 16 August 2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 16 August 2008, 11:05 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No one makes blades quite like the Japanese.
I bought this one two years ago, in daily use, and haven't had to sharpen it yet. Still the sharpest blade I've ever used.
Made in the same way as katana (samurai sword) you can see the layers of different steels that are folded while forging.
Name:  DSC_0295.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  85.3 KB
Old 16 August 2008, 11:08 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Nice knife bet that cost a bit.

The point im trying to make is that globals etc aren't as good as people think, you are paying for just a name not to mention their handles imo are a recipe for disaster.

If you want to pay well over the odds for what i feel is an inferior knife then go for it.

As for the locking thumb thing, it'll hurt to use the thing in the end, too risky imo.

Do you use knives as a trade for countless years?
Old 16 August 2008, 11:09 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

When you guys say you, 'haven't had to sharpen' your knives yet does that mean it hasn't gone blunt or it's performance hasn't deteriorated from new?

For example the set I got game with the little ceramic sharpener wheels as after a few weeks of use some of the knives weren't as sharp as when they were new. However, allow me to clarify: they were still crazy sharp and would cut through anything effortlessly it's just that they didn't go through with quite the same level of ease as when new so I gave them a quite sharpen to restore optimal performance. Is that bad to sharpen then when they still cut with ease just to have them cutting with even more ease. Call me a perfectionist but I just like to have my equipment perform at 100% nearly all of the time.
Old 16 August 2008, 11:10 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

lol, you have a full set of globals dont you.
Old 16 August 2008, 11:17 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Hux stop going on the defensive. Nobody is questioning you knowledge or advice but you are basically asking people to buy trade knives for their kitchens when the knives will get used about 0.001% of their life as opposed to nearly continuously most days. It's overkill and 'name' and 'looks' are very relevant considerations for most people who want a set of knives to look fancy in their kitchen until they are called upon.

My globals are sitting in a block in the kitchen right now and haven't been used in several days. They look the part and that is important as I don't want yellow, red, blue and green knives on display in my kitchen and I certainly don't want them crashing into each other in a drawer. Tonight we are having 8 people round for fajita's and so I have approximately 14 chicken breast fillets to cut up into small pieces. I know that when I pull any of those global knives out they will cut through all pieces of chicken with a gentle draw through the meat with only the knives own weight placing any force on the product. They will even slice of small slithers of the meat where there are horrible fatty bits with ease. Afterwards I'll give it a quick wash and put it back until next time. Why on earth would I wan't/need anything better than that in my home?

As I said above you are trying to put a case forward for the merits of a Caterham R500 or Ariel Atom to people that are generally looking to buy something with an M-badge, AMG badge or RS badge.

...and the problem is you are suggesting an M3/AMG or RS audi is 'crap' because they can't keep up with an R500 or Atom. You need perspective man!
Old 16 August 2008, 11:20 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

lol, you have a full set of globals dont you.
I said as much earlier in the thread...

Quick Reply: Suckered on kitchen knives.. £348 to £25