Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jason PLato - hypocrite

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2008, 12:53 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Jason PLato - hypocrite

On Fifth Gear he was sliding past Tiff on a wet track in a (almost literally) do or die passing manouevre, out of control IMO.

At the same time on ITV's Tonight programme he was berating some young lads for being bad drivers One because he was cornering at 100mph one-handed exactly the sort of driving that item 1 encourages.

None of the lads left the track, and were probably out to impress due to the cameras and the presence of the 'star'.

Think they could have found a more appropriate driver to make the point.
Old 15 August 2008, 12:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

But Jason Plato can drive though.

He knew that Tiff would have the skill & reactions to avoid any collision on track. Remember he is a TC Driver, and such moves are bread & butter.

Cocking about on a track with another skilled driver is completely different to cocking about on the roads, which Mr. Plato probably won't do.

Last edited by stilover; 15 August 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 15 August 2008, 01:14 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

What a **** that Jason Plato is

I cant tell you how much i dislike the guy, having to turn over the tv when hes on.
Old 15 August 2008, 01:17 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

erm....and it was on a track I beleive, not on a public road, surely theres a difference...
Old 15 August 2008, 01:25 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having seen Plato hit every car in the field during a BTCC race it's a bit rich of old big nose to preach!
Old 15 August 2008, 06:14 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
On Fifth Gear he was sliding past Tiff on a wet track in a (almost literally) do or die passing manouevre, out of control IMO.

At the same time on ITV's Tonight programme he was berating some young lads for being bad drivers One because he was cornering at 100mph one-handed exactly the sort of driving that item 1 encourages.

None of the lads left the track, and were probably out to impress due to the cameras and the presence of the 'star'.

Is this a serious post? Are you seriously and honestly ranting about this or is it tongue in cheek and Im missing the irony?

To draw a parallel between a serious road safety message and a man being paid to hoon about for your entertainment is ridiculous.

Next youll be criticising him for having the audacity, as a racing driver, to suggest that baseball cap wearing imbeciles dont race each other on the Queens highway! How dare he, eh? Him a racing driver and all...
Old 15 August 2008, 06:28 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
erm....and it was on a track I beleive, not on a public road, surely theres a difference...
Quite!

It was a ****ty overtaking move though; even he admitted that!

Ns04

Trending Topics

Old 15 August 2008, 07:11 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

He knew that Tiff would have the skill & reactions to avoid any collision on track.
Yeah, Nigel Mansell will back that up
Old 15 August 2008, 07:35 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Having seen Plato hit every car in the field during a BTCC race it's a bit rich of old big nose to preach!
Thats what Touring Cars is all about man. What a pointless thread this is
Old 15 August 2008, 07:53 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
... What a pointless thread this is
Agreed
Old 15 August 2008, 08:03 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Yeah, Nigel Mansell will back that up
and for that reason tiff will always be remembered as a grade A **** and never forgiven
Old 15 August 2008, 11:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Milamber
and for that reason tiff will always be remembered as a grade A **** and never forgiven
You cant say that about Tiff, he's great !

I dont mind Jason Plato but think he has a slightly arrogant air about him.
Old 16 August 2008, 02:08 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'd much rather watch Vicky Butler-Henderson than Tiff
Old 16 August 2008, 07:59 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

well as one of the few people on here who knows Jase personally all I can say is don't judge the guy on what you see on tv! Yes he races hard as they all do in BTCC, but off the track a nicer man you could not meet. As for the original question in this thread I don't get what the problem is. The circumstances are so different that you can't really compare them.
Old 16 August 2008, 09:23 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Jason Plato is my current favourite driver in any motorsport, I like the way he drives both in BTCC and on the telly.

I didn't see the "offending" article but who are impressionable young guys more likely to respect the opinion of when it comes to driver safety - seasoned race professional (and winner) or some crusty police superintendent who thinks not wearing a tie with his uniform makes him friendlier to the yoofs...?
Old 17 August 2008, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do you think that it is a good driving style to corner at three figure speeds with one hand on the wheel then?

Les
Old 17 August 2008, 03:24 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

If theye were on a track then whats the beef. If on normal roads then it is a bit silly.

Track - Controlled enviroment (ISH)
Normal Road - Not the safest place in the world regardless of ability or percieved ability!
Old 18 August 2008, 12:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moff1888
If theye were on a track then whats the beef. If on normal roads then it is a bit silly.

Track - Controlled enviroment (ISH)
Normal Road - Not the safest place in the world regardless of ability or percieved ability!
If you are cornering at 3 figure speeds on a track, I don't reckon that you would be sitting in a very well controlled environment!

Les
Old 18 August 2008, 12:45 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
If you are cornering at 3 figure speeds on a track, I don't reckon that you would be sitting in a very well controlled environment!

Les
Why not?

All depends on the corner, the speed in which it can be taken, track conditions, and most importantly........... the skill of the driver.
Old 18 August 2008, 12:46 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

erm, get out more!
Old 18 August 2008, 01:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure if I like the bloke or not - not that I'm sure he gives a toss

I don't mind watching him race or give articles for 5th gear etc but I do feel that when things don't go his way, he can end up driving very poorly. The final race last year after he got burnt, I'm amazed he wasn't disqualified.

Bit like the Fernando Alonso of touring cars. When he's up he's awesome, when he's down, avoid at all costs.
Old 19 August 2008, 01:35 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Default Just to clarify;

Plato did not assess the lads driving on the road. They were driving on a clear track, just one car. There would have been a competitive element between them to show off on this one-off opportunity to drive a track.

Originally Posted by GC8
To draw a parallel between a serious road safety message and a man being paid to hoon about for your entertainment is ridiculous.
But paying someone to demonstrate dodgy overtakes on a track while laughing about it will encourage the yoofs to believe that that is what it takes to be a good driver.

Plato just turned up the sanctimonious-ness a few notches too high. "That was the worst driving I've ever seen." Never seen anyone crash then?

All IMHO.

I'm not saying Plato is a bad driver or a bad person, the fact the two shows were on at the same time made the different attitudes more apparent.
Old 19 August 2008, 02:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Why not?

All depends on the corner, the speed in which it can be taken, track conditions, and most importantly........... the skill of the driver.
I do have a bit of experience in these things.

One handed control of the wheel at very high speeds is never as smooth and controlled as two hands. That cannot be denied. What are you on a track for if you are not trying to get round as fast as possible, as I imagine these chaps were trying. If you get a bit of a slide or someone gets in your way suddenly, then your one handed efforts will almost certainly lead to overcontrolling, and your margins of control will be reduced considerably.

The question is of course, why were these blokes driving one handed anyway? Was it a way of trying to impress that they were the stars on the track? If it was then that was immature to say the least and is also unfair to others on the track.

If you go on one of those track days where you get some instruction from experienced racing drivers, or you go to get your racing licence application approval, if you are so stupid as to try that on, you will quite rightly get thrown off the track!

Les
Old 19 August 2008, 02:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Plato did not assess the lads driving on the road. They were driving on a clear track, just one car. There would have been a competitive element between them to show off on this one-off opportunity to drive a track.

But paying someone to demonstrate dodgy overtakes on a track while laughing about it will encourage the yoofs to believe that that is what it takes to be a good driver.

Plato just turned up the sanctimonious-ness a few notches too high. "That was the worst driving I've ever seen." Never seen anyone crash then?

All IMHO.

I'm not saying Plato is a bad driver or a bad person, the fact the two shows were on at the same time made the different attitudes more apparent.
Get a grip.
Old 19 August 2008, 03:45 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you think that it is a good driving style to corner at three figure speeds with one hand on the wheel then?

Les
Exactly...but any naturaly talented driver could drive with one hand smoothly and alot more quickly round a track than some spotty thick chav. They always have the same types on those programmes: Utterly useless and dangerous young drivers, that just do not have a clue about car control. They do this because it's good television(= more money for the makers of the programme) and people will watch it thinking - "OMG, all drivers of that age group are EXACTLY the same, its shocking etc etc ". What a joke, just like everything on tv and the media...geared towards making money for themselves.

This gives young drivers a terrible image...and infact anyone that fancies modifying a car in any way. These programmes are just as bad as Jeremy Kyle etc: lots of people watch them thinking they are making a difference and doing something good, when in actual fact they've probably never helped anyone that's been on them. F*cking grade A mince

- rant over -

And anyone that can't tell the difference between Jason Plato and an 18 yr old tool...

As if it makes a difference how he behaves? ...Whats going to be next on the list to make sure nobody influences these young drivers to drive dangerously...ban people of a certain age spectating at motorsport events?

All IMO

Alan

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 19 August 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 19 August 2008, 05:35 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Les
Hence I typed Controlled Ish.
Old 19 August 2008, 10:11 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

FFS Jason Plato is just another bloke making a living, appearing on the news just raises his TV profile slightly and hopefully leads to other gigs for him. Is it just me or does anyone else on here admit to possibly enjoying 5th more than top gear? contentious I know.
Old 20 August 2008, 11:05 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I do have a bit of experience in these things.

One handed control of the wheel at very high speeds is never as smooth and controlled as two hands. That cannot be denied.

Les
Just on the point of driving one handed.

Richard Burns used to drive one handed. Was he just out to impress? Or did he have god given driving tallent that allowed him to drive one handed while on a gravel road at over 100mph.

Talent and skill.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Just on the point of driving one handed.

Richard Burns used to drive one handed. Was he just out to impress? Or did he have god given driving tallent that allowed him to drive one handed while on a gravel road at over 100mph.

Talent and skill.
How often did he go off though? Why did he he drive one handed as a matter of interest?

Archie Scott Brown had a withered arm and used to drive with one hand and the other arm in a leather strap on the wheel. He did remarkably well in the Lister Jaguars but I regret to say that he had a fatal accident in the end. His was also a demonstration of talent and skill and sheer determination.

Do you think those blokes mentioned by Plato had that sort of ability though?

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 20 August 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:21 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

What great guy that Jason Potato is,
I cant tell you how much I like the guy, having to switch the TV on when ever he's on.

Quick Reply: Jason PLato - hypocrite