Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone 3G - Who is to blame for the scam calls?

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 12:39 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 3G - Who is to blame for the scam calls?

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone 3G from Carphonewarehose as I need to upgrade my very aging pocket pc phone.

All went well, got the £35 monthly contract, went home and hey presto my old number had moved over to the new phone.

However then my nightmare stated, I have been getting non-stop calls from people trying to sell me phone insurance, some pretending to be O2, some from Carphonewarehouse etc.

The first call was from some welsh sounding woman (they all seem to be welsh?!) who said she was from Carphonewarehouse. After a few minutes she turns around and states she can get my insurance down to £99 one off payment saving me something like £180 or £200 pounds.

Thankfully I was standing outside said Carphonewarehouse and when I told the women on the phone to hold on while I go into the store and ask why she was offering a substantial reduction the line went dead.

I have had several other calls since then, people claiming to be one thing or another to the point that I am now considering sueing the carphonewarehouse store for giving out my details without my consent.

It's obvious they have taken my details and are most likely doing some back handed deals with these insurance companies to dupe their customers. Short of taking my phone back or chaning my phone number where do I stand legally?

I contact O2 and made a complaint however the advised it was not their problem but carphonewarehouse who had given out my details at the time I purchased the iPhone.

Is everyone in this country a complete c*** now?
Old 13 August 2008, 12:45 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I regularly get calls from companies claiming to be Orange offering upgrades etc. Sad thing is they all call the other numbers and NOT the primary number Orange call. So they get a mouthful each time

Trying their luck is bad enough, but lying about who they are really gets on my ****!

Same with Sky and the insurance on that too. Monopolies laws have created most of this, no longer allowing companies to keep customer details to themselves. They apparently MUST share their customer info with companies who have a relevant interest....... hmmm
Old 13 August 2008, 12:45 PM
Semper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Yes
Old 13 August 2008, 01:27 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Carphone warehouse have definately sold you details. They did the same to me a couple of years ago. Have had the same number for years and then got a new contract through carephonewarehouse and suddenly I am getting loads of junk phone calls.

Coincidence, I think not!

I've got a piece of software on my phone called advanced phone manager: Advanced Call Manager - WebGate JSC. The complete and reliable call management application! and you can block, redirect or bounce texts back at callers automatically. Very handy for junk callers. If they call once, add there number to the list and next time the phone bounces then to whereever you've setup.
Old 13 August 2008, 01:31 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

TPS Registration - it works on mobiles too.
Old 13 August 2008, 01:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I am sure that cnutphone Warehouse has sold your details, pretty standard practice these days. Orange have been doing it for years.
Old 13 August 2008, 02:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

As Andy said use TPS it will take about a month to kick in but I have not had any cold calls whatsoever either at home or on my mobile since sigining up with them.

I also think there is a link on their site for a postal based system to stop junk letters.
Old 13 August 2008, 02:44 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

The first call was from some welsh sounding woman (they all seem to be welsh?!) ?
EHD Telecom Gwent? Do a google.Doesn't solve the problem but gives you an idea of what goes on
Old 13 August 2008, 04:02 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
TPS Registration - it works on mobiles too.
Thanks for the link, used it for my home and mobile
Old 13 August 2008, 04:09 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

The first call was from some welsh sounding woman (they all seem to be welsh?!)

Coincidence ?? I think not
Old 13 August 2008, 04:21 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

This happened to me the day after i got my iphone, when i said i wasn't interested, they just hung up!
Old 13 August 2008, 04:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
This happened to me the day after i got my iphone, when i said i wasn't interested, they just hung up!
Dont worry, they will call back!
its taken me getting pretty rude with various cold callers to stop them calling back.

Bit I love about them is once you say your not interested, they start trying to ask marketing questions !
Old 13 August 2008, 04:43 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Dont worry, they will call back!
its taken me getting pretty rude with various cold callers to stop them calling back.

Bit I love about them is once you say your not interested, they start trying to ask marketing questions !
A rendition of Michael Jacksons "Heal the world" usually does the trick on cold callers!
Old 13 August 2008, 05:10 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I recently purchased an iPhone 3G from Carphonewarehose as I need to upgrade my very aging pocket pc phone.

All went well, got the £35 monthly contract, went home and hey presto my old number had moved over to the new phone.

However then my nightmare stated, I have been getting non-stop calls from people trying to sell me phone insurance, some pretending to be O2, some from Carphonewarehouse etc.

The first call was from some welsh sounding woman (they all seem to be welsh?!) who said she was from Carphonewarehouse. After a few minutes she turns around and states she can get my insurance down to £99 one off payment saving me something like £180 or £200 pounds.

Thankfully I was standing outside said Carphonewarehouse and when I told the women on the phone to hold on while I go into the store and ask why she was offering a substantial reduction the line went dead.

I have had several other calls since then, people claiming to be one thing or another to the point that I am now considering sueing the carphonewarehouse store for giving out my details without my consent.

It's obvious they have taken my details and are most likely doing some back handed deals with these insurance companies to dupe their customers. Short of taking my phone back or chaning my phone number where do I stand legally?

I contact O2 and made a complaint however the advised it was not their problem but carphonewarehouse who had given out my details at the time I purchased the iPhone.

I too have the new 3G iPhone with Carphone Warehouse on the £35 tariff but I've not had a peep from anyone on my iPhone. I've been with them since 2003...I must be one of the lucky ones.
Old 13 August 2008, 05:16 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

Did you happen to accept the 'free' 1 month insurance?
Old 13 August 2008, 05:18 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Can you not input your mobile number with the telephone preference service ? TPS ?
Old 13 August 2008, 07:36 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
cnutphone Warehouse
heard someone else refer to them in this manner the other day, although they did say cnutphone whorehouse

i always treat cold callers the same way, i'll take a wander to the khazi and make as much noise doing what ever comes first. normally throw in a comment like 'jesus, that stinks........sorry you were saying?'

does tend to throw them off a bit