Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

We lost our pup yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2008, 08:59 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We lost our pup yesterday

Kaiser, our 5 year old GSD died suddenly yesterday after a quick illness.

About a year and a half ago our baby was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and was put on several medications for pain relief and anti inflammatories as well as a joint supplement. Since then we have had to vastly restrict his activity due to his condition, his long walks and running in the fields became a memory. He was also started on a course of hydrotherapy to try and rebuild the wasted muscle associated with his poor hips.

About two months ago he went into a sort of fit. It lasted a minute or so and looked as though he was having a stroke. The episode passed and he went back to normal. Since that time he has had another 3 episodes, that I am aware of. I'm not sure how many times its occurred when he's been alone. The vet suspected mild epilepsy but stated that due to the episodes being so brief and infrequent it wouldn't be investigated further at this stage.

About a week ago he was fit and healthy, well, as fit and healthy as a GSD with bad hips can be. He started coughing and his appetite diminished. We took him to the vet and the vet diagnosed Kennel Cough. He was given a bottle of Benelyn and a weeks course of pallatable antibiotics. It was very hard to get him to take the abs due to his appetite being so bad. Also, it was quite distressing for him to have us ensure that the medicine was going into him. We were told his appetite would return once the abs took effect and that he'd be okay.

Then he began being sick, frequently, however due to him having no food in his system, my poor baby was merely wretching clear fluid and coughing violently.

We took him straight back to the vet as I feared that it was more serious than just a cough. The vet gave him 3 jags, for nausia and a painkiller and something else, I can't remember right now, it may have been the antibiotic that he was struggling to take orally. We were encouraged to persevere with getting the abs course into him to get him over the worst of it and back on the road to recovery. The vet also took bloods from him and phoned later in the day saying they were all clear.

On Thursday night he perked up a bit. He looked brighter and his tail wagged again. He took a small amount of food from us and he looked much happier. We thought he was on the mend. We allowed our guard down and truly thought our boy was improving.

Yesterday my wife came home and on opening the front door there was no greeting. Something inside her seemd to know instantly. She went upstairs and our baby boy had went to sleep on our bed for the last time.

Kaiser was the light of our life, a truly lovely animal with a perfect temperament and amazing personality. We miss him so so so much and we are seriously struggling to come to terms with this.

We can't understand why our baby boy was taken from us at such a young age.

Just 7 short days ago he was healthy and today we are planning a cremation for our baby. I feel robbed and utterly deflated and can't comprehend how a "cough" made our boy leave us.

The vet has offered us a pm, but as a family we have taken the personal decision not to. Part of me is desperate to know, but a bigger part of me wants my boy left to rest in peace and not pm'd.

The vet's opinion is that he may have had a tumour which would explain the fits and the sickness and coughing if it had spread to his lungs and heart.

We are holding onto the hope that our boy went peacefully, on his mum and dad's bed and that he is off to rainbow bridge where he'll have no more pain.

RIP Kaiser - 23/04/2003 - 08/08/2008
Old 09 August 2008, 09:10 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

These were some of my favourite pics of him at just over a year old, looking after my old RB5

Old 09 August 2008, 09:29 AM
jimmyv
Scooby Regular

so sorry for you loss, looks a gorgeous dog.
Old 09 August 2008, 09:31 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

awww, am so, so sorry. What a beautiful dog
Old 09 August 2008, 09:45 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

So sorry to read this and, as someone who has lost a few dogs over the years, I truly understand how devastating this can be.

Our last loss was my beloved Golden (9). She had a long illness and the big C finally won. I have to say though that to have come home and found her asleep on our bed knowing she had passed away in her own time would have been so much easier than the long drawn out illness she had with us having to choose to have her put down.

Really rough though when it happens. d
Old 09 August 2008, 09:45 AM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Was his parents checked for hip dysplasia common problem in these dogs hip scoring.The dog looks beutifull sorry for your loss i have a british bull dog i brought him knowing all the health problems he could have in future he is 10 months now so thingers crossed.....
Old 09 August 2008, 09:50 AM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

sorry for your loss, its always hard when you loose a loved one, even more so when they are only still young.
Old 09 August 2008, 09:51 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your bad news
Old 09 August 2008, 09:55 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

So sorry to hear of your loss, as a dog owner and lover (we have a Boxer) that pain is an awful feeling, we lost our first Boxer 3 years ago, but we now have Ellie another Boxer, I hope in time you come to terms with it, just think of the good times and when he made you laugh, I promise it does help.
Cheers
Colin
Old 09 August 2008, 10:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Really sorry to hear that bad news.

Les
Old 09 August 2008, 10:24 AM
rallychick
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that! I love those dogs! So friendly!
Old 09 August 2008, 10:25 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm literally welling up ... I'm so sorry for your loss .. our GSD has been sick recently .. and this really hits close to home

I really hope he did pass away in his sleep...

Remember how good of a life you gave him !
Old 09 August 2008, 11:28 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

So sorry to hear of your loss J

RIP Kaiser
Old 09 August 2008, 11:42 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear this.

I had a cat that died at 5 years of age with a tumour in her stomach lining. It's no age.
Old 09 August 2008, 02:02 PM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

So sorry to hear of your loss,be strong it will get easier.R.I.P KAISER.
Old 09 August 2008, 03:05 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My condolences to you and your family for your loss. A terrible shame
Old 09 August 2008, 05:09 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Awww - he looked stunning. (car looks good too )

We have a fair few dogs - our first was a dogue de bordeaux (Ruby) we lost her when she was 4 due to a heart murmur (sp). Whats worse is we thought she was pregnant, so when she started gaining weight rapidly, we put it down to the earlier mating! How sorry we were after 66 days when I guessed there was a problem as pregnancy doesn't last that long, combined with the fact there was no movement - she was scanned and we were told there were no puppies and in actual fact she was dying. I was 5 months pregnant myself and I was devestated - she was the first dog that I'd had since pup.

She collapsed on our way out of the vet and i sat on the floor with her - as fat as she was sobbing my socks off in front of a very busy waiting room

We brought her back to the vet to have her put to sleep a few days later.

We have other dogs, including a GSD, just bought a Mally (Belgian shepherd) and he jumped out the bedroom windown today - he's OK but has badly bruised his shoulder.

So sorry for your loss - but at least now you know he is not in pain and sufering any longer and you no doubt gave him a fantastic 5 years.
Old 09 August 2008, 05:34 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for your kind words and support at this difficult time. We are really struggling to come to terms with our loss but your kind wishes do help.

I said previously that we did not want our boy pm'd, however the constant wondering about what caused his premature end has made us reconsider and we have decided that we are now going to go ahead and hopefully find some closure. This has been a very personal and difficult decision for us but neither of us could go on, continually wondering and never knowing. I hope we are given the answers we crave and then we can say goodbye to our baby properly.

We are genuinely touched by the sincerity shown to us by complete strangers and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Old 09 August 2008, 09:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your sad news, Talizman.

Was he hip scored originally or were his parents?

From his picture I would have said he was from American blood lines. Do you have his pedigree?

RIP Kaiser.
Old 09 August 2008, 10:20 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Gutted for you talizman!! I would be lost without my dog, really feel for you mate
Old 09 August 2008, 11:00 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate

RIP Kaiser
Old 09 August 2008, 11:46 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Hey Talizman,

I'm sat typing this, with tears rolling down my face. We lost our baby boy 11 weeks ago yesterday - within 5 days he went from being old but healthy to so poorly we had no option but to put him to sleep, so I know how you are feeling, to say it's heartbreaking is an absolute understatment. I still cry everyday for him.

It will seem absolutely terrible without him around the house - I still look for Ben everytime I pull on the drive as he used to be at the front door as soon as he heard my car pull up, and I admit that I am still in total disbelief that he has gone, and as you have said, I too am struggling to come to terms with our loss - he was, 100%, a member of our family and was my constant companion.. he was my doggy version of a soul mate.

My thoughts are with you & your family - take heart from the fact that your beautiful boy died at home, somewhere he knew he was loved, was safe, and was happy.

Anna
x
Old 09 August 2008, 11:51 PM
20withascooby
Scooby Regular

my gfs mum breads these dogs did the parents have hip problems to as its very common in these dogs i believe
Old 10 August 2008, 12:08 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 20withascooby
my gfs mum breads these dogs did the parents have hip problems to as its very common in these dogs i believe
Just to correct you. Its not common in correctly papered, hip scored, proven bloodlines.

There are quality breeders everywhere trying their very best to stop back yard breeders cashing in on selling 'awful' pups destined to die early and cause unnecessary heartache to owners unaware of what is good or not.

Without hip score results of the parents a GSD shouldn't be purchased, end of.
Old 10 August 2008, 12:23 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

yes a few years ago i would have called you a gayer but the loyalty and friendship from a pet cannot be understood unless you have one,

our cat waitsa for you outside and comes upto you on the way home from work, they all but talk and im sure its a bad as loosing a family member
Old 10 August 2008, 05:23 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear the news, we lost our springer spaniel 2 months and a day ago she had some kind of seizure. She was just over 2 yrs old. I know the pain your feeling but it will get better, I still think about Molly everyday, but I know she had a good life in the short time she was with us
We have her ashes in a nice wooden casket in the lounge and we know she is always with us.
Take care
James
Old 10 August 2008, 06:08 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Spoon - its a common problem because the breeding standards you talk of are common also.
We have Bordeauxs - and as I said above - we lost our girl at only 4 due to a heart problem. She was from a fantastic bloodline and both her parents were in great health - her grandad was one of the most talked of Bordeauxs - but sometimes, things just get thrown up for no rhyme or reason.
Gutting regardless of pedigree and gene's - on the other hand - we had a cross bred boxer/staff - and he had a fantastic innings at 18 years old before he lost his marbles and was suffering with all sorts linked with old age
The problem also with good bloodlines is they get interbred at some stage - which throws up problems further down the line.
Old 10 August 2008, 06:57 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

it,s abslute hell lost our first gsd to a nerve in is lower back degenerating (yes we had to have im put to sleep ) took im to vets twice but was in tears and couldnt do it still think vet hurt im unneserily with injection and feel very guilty after eleven years we now have two gsd,s needed them to stop me moping will always miss napoleon best dog and friend ever gone to dog heaven can run forever best food and love hope this helps you and your,s ps they really are the best (remember when you sead something he didnt understand and cocked is head to one side .god bless
Old 10 August 2008, 07:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello mate. God I havent seen your name on these boards for a while. Still used your mod website as a source of inspiration. Anyway that is getting off the subject. Horrible news and I hope you are getting over it.

Chin up mate
Old 10 August 2008, 07:49 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
Spoon - its a common problem because the breeding standards you talk of are common also.
We have Bordeauxs - and as I said above - we lost our girl at only 4 due to a heart problem. She was from a fantastic bloodline and both her parents were in great health - her grandad was one of the most talked of Bordeauxs - but sometimes, things just get thrown up for no rhyme or reason.
Gutting regardless of pedigree and gene's - on the other hand - we had a cross bred boxer/staff - and he had a fantastic innings at 18 years old before he lost his marbles and was suffering with all sorts linked with old age
The problem also with good bloodlines is they get interbred at some stage - which throws up problems further down the line.
Yes, Its only a problem amongst the breeding of the unscrupulous that have no interest in maintaining the breed standard. My point was its not common in a genuine GSD that has been scored. Of course the odd health problem is unforseen and is unexpected, but then your stated heart problem isn't remotely related to hip scoring which is what I was correcting in the post by 20withascooby.

I've noticed that you're not the only one to completely miss the point of my last post judging by the negative rating for a factual post.

I see it often when people say they've bought a GSD that looks nothing like a genuine GSD. Its like comparing a Impreza Sport with a turbo and saying they are the same. Of course you can't tell them because their mates, dads, uncle in the pub said it was a top pedigree. That said, it doesn't mean it detracts from the absolute love and devotion that dog can give a family, which is by and large the main purpose of a dog for most people.

Quick Reply: We lost our pup yesterday