Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New cistern innards

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2008, 07:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New cistern innards

The old diaphragm went on the loo at the weekend, so i toddled down to the old diy emporium to get a new one.

fat chance...most of it now consists of replacement units or total upgrades lol

I saw an upgrade that looked promising, it replaced the syphon mech with a flapper system and push button flush mech.

so duly purchased and installed

blimey!!!! talk about turbocharged flush:eek2 :

I reckon a 20bhp increase on thruput,

it evens fills silently too, now that is a bonus, no longer do you get the symphony of water rushing into the cistern, with the final 10 minute dripping as it struggles to close the valve

anyone else come across these?

Mart
Old 04 August 2008, 07:59 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, seem to remember the plug bit eventually fails to seal and it only lasted about 2-3 years.

remember to remove the restrictor in the inlet pipe for turbo fill up also
Old 04 August 2008, 08:17 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it a REALLY simple mechanism you got from Homebase - just a huge plug that sits over the hole and you lever it up on a chain - I have that one and you're dead right - blood great simple and powerful way to empty the cistern.

It does sound daft to talk about it, but it really is a great idea!
Old 04 August 2008, 08:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
If it a REALLY simple mechanism you got from Homebase - just a huge plug that sits over the hole and you lever it up on a chain - I have that one and you're dead right - blood great simple and powerful way to empty the cistern.

It does sound daft to talk about it, but it really is a great idea!
thats the one I went for the complete kit, push button, flap & inlet assy

best bit is, it only uses half the cistern full of water on max setting, so if you need to do another flush, you dont have to wait for it to fill

Mart
Old 04 August 2008, 09:34 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've been meaning to fix our bog for ages -Leaky diaphram.

I've just adjusted it so it only half fills the cistern, so it takes about 6 hours worth of dripping to overflow....

Which is just as well, as the overflow pipe is right above the back door, and it gets me slap bang on the forehead everytime I walk outside
Old 04 August 2008, 09:46 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

If you d0 replace then try and get a turbo 90(plumb centre defo sell these)
It means no drain down to repair next time, it has all the bungs for water saving as you like.
Old 04 August 2008, 10:57 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
You mean in the syphon? Why not just cut some plastic to fit? That's all it is. Or go to a proper plumbers merchants and get a new syphon ...? Less than £20 ...

Dave
Hells bells you buying gold plated?
Old 04 August 2008, 11:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

You mean in the syphon? Why not just cut some plastic to fit? That's all it is. Or go to a proper plumbers merchants and get a new syphon ...? Less than £20 ...

Dave
thought of that, but didnt have any plastic to hand

new syphon was £12, replacement kit was £18

for the sake of £6 it seemed a better investment

Mart
Old 05 August 2008, 10:13 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

They are good aren't they? internal overflow too. Mine is adjustable too, from save the planet weedy flush to full torpedo removal.
Old 05 August 2008, 01:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have got a pretty old one here-goes with a pretty old house! It is a china cistern at waist level behind the bog bit with the horizontal flushing handle. Does this kit fit mostly anything Mart?, ours is beginning to become an irritation now since it does not even always flush at the first attempt.

Les
Old 05 August 2008, 01:36 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Leslie
We have got a pretty old one here-goes with a pretty old house! It is a china cistern at waist level behind the bog bit with the horizontal flushing handle. Does this kit fit mostly anything Mart?, ours is beginning to become an irritation now since it does not even always flush at the first attempt.

Les
it's a straight swap - and really easy to fit. Wouldn't be suitable for a high level cistern as you'd need a stool to reach the button That's a SIT on stool, not s*it on one....
Old 05 August 2008, 06:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
If its a close coupled cistern, then as Kieran says, its a straight swap.

you have to remove the cistern from the wall, and remove all the innards, (apart from your Original overflow)

It took me about an hour start to finish.

Mart
Old 06 August 2008, 10:30 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

PS: but if a 'turbo flush' floats your boat then go right ahead ... bet you come out smiling after using it whilst still sitting down ....
especially if you've had a hot curry.... cool shower on the ring piece... ahhhhh
Old 06 August 2008, 02:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Get a new Syphon for your cistern. The new ones are smaller and can have dual-flush capabilities. ALL syphons, by design, can overflow internally. It's just that the older, 9lt ones, were too big to do so. The new, smaller ones, can (as I have done downstairs here). Syphons also have the advantage of just 'not working' when they have problems, rather than leaking water down the loo. A problem if you're on a meter - which, to me at any rate, will become compulsory in the next couple of years. **

** - the fact that the water companies lose 30%+ of water before it even reaches your house seems to have escaped those in power. Instead it's 'let the mugs pay' as usual ....

Dave

PS: but if a 'turbo flush' floats your boat then go right ahead ... bet you come out smiling after using it whilst still sitting down ....
Saves on getting a bidet then!

Thanks for that Mart-I will look into doing all that, fed up of the rubbish worn out siphon jobber anyway.

Les