Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thai youth imitates GTA cab murder

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2008, 05:09 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Thai youth imitates GTA cab murder

When he is found guilty, he will be given the leathal injection and this Thai youth **** deserves it.The 54 year old cab driver was on the back seat, covered in blood after he tried to defend himself .The cab was noticed because it was reversing wildly along a street.

Thai youth imitates Grand Theft Auto in cab murder - Yahoo! News UK
Old 04 August 2008, 05:27 PM
New_scooby_04

"He said he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game," chief investigator Veeravit Pipattanasak told Reuters.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it!

This smacks of someone trying to get off the death penalty by blaming their appalling actions on a video game, hoping the Daily Mail crowd will get their panties sufficiently in a twist to call for such games to be banned thus lending some credence to such claims!

x million other teenagers and adults played this game without feeling the need to go out and kill someone.

From a Psychologist's point of view, there is still not one shred of evidence that supports the argument that violent games/films can instigate violent behaviour in a previously non violent person. The evidence tells you what you'd suspect i.e. that violent people gravitate towards violent media....but then again, so do millions of "normal" people!

Pandering to the crowd who just want easy answers and a scapegoat for abhorrent behaviour!

Ns04
Old 04 August 2008, 05:46 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This does annoy me! They give it an 18 rating, so its the parents responsibility to decide if their children get to play it. If you want to play games like that you should have the freedom to: providing you are of legal age. I know the person in question here was 18 and would be of legal age in this country...but the likely posibility here is that he is a complete nutter who just wanted to kill someone for the fun of it - again down to the parents and most likely an unorthodox upbringing.

Whats next - stop making horror films incase people start to imitate zombies, and try to eat people? I dont think so
Old 04 August 2008, 05:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Did that fella who bumped off the hookers in Suffolk play GTA too?
Old 04 August 2008, 05:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I really am split

I have heard a convincing and informative talk by an Ex FBI chap who works with law enforcement in the US and UK talkin' about the links between real violence and TV/video/games.

Even so there has to be something wrong with anyone who thinks it is OK to do this as NS)$ says there are many people out there who do play and watch this sort of violence who would not go out and do it.

Then again maybe if you have been fed a diet of it since a young and impressionable age you are more likely to do it and you get desensitised to violence.

Yet again parents need to get involved and participate in kids upbringing and not just leave them to watch and play the sort of stuff you can get hold of nowadays.

Personally i think the kids should get the big needle, i am sure some bleeding heart will say it is not his fault and society has let him down.
Old 04 August 2008, 06:37 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Did that fella who bumped off the hookers in Suffolk play GTA too?

He also drank water.....so, I'm told did Mira Hindley, Jack the Ripper and Adolf Hitler. I think we should all stop drinking it as a precaution!!

I well recall the fuss over the Manhnut series when the Daily Mail cried that a teenager had knifed his friend to death immitating the game, which he had become obsessed with.

Unfortunately, it transpired that it was, in point of fact, the Victim who owned the game and played it obsessively.

Where are the parents in the equation of those who blame video games for abhorrent acts by teens??? I beg your pardon, no one cares about parenting these days! That's much too complicated, lets just blame it on a piece of media.

As for where video games stack up in the decline of morals and decency.....

Well, we let adolescent males listen to REAL people advocating gang culture: the use of weapons, degrading treatment towards women, promiscuity, acts of violence in to gain "respeck" all under the guise of 'music', and we glorify idiots and degenerates on "reality" TV.

And we wonder why kids may have distorted views on the world???

If you want to see what's wrong with society, look at reality, not the virtual world!!

Ns04
Old 04 August 2008, 06:48 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
He also drank water.....so, I'm told did Mira Hindley, Jack the Ripper and Adolf Hitler. I think we should all stop drinking it as a precaution!!

I well recall the fuss over the Manhnut series when the Daily Mail cried that a teenager had knifed his friend to death immitating the game, which he had become obsessed with.

Unfortunately, it transpired that it was, in point of fact, the Victim who owned the game and played it obsessively.

Where are the parents in the equation of those who blame video games for abhorrent acts by teens??? I beg your pardon, no one cares about parenting these days! That's much too complicated, lets just blame it on a piece of media.

As for where video games stack up in the decline of morals and decency.....

Well, we let adolescent males listen to REAL people advocating gang culture: the use of weapons, degrading treatment towards women, promiscuity, acts of violence in to gain "respeck" all under the guise of 'music', and we glorify idiots and degenerates on "reality" TV.

And we wonder why kids may have distorted views on the world???

If you want to see what's wrong with society, look at reality, not the virtual world!!

Ns04
+1
Old 04 August 2008, 06:52 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
+1
+2!!
Old 04 August 2008, 08:02 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but I've played games since I was knee high to a grasshopper and no amount of gore, bloody, cop killing etc has made me go out and copy it.

The guy was gone in the head a long time before he played GTA. Whether he killed someone now or in 10 years because of a different "trigger" then it would still have happened.

Games causing these problems my ***, more like crap parents, role models or social upbringing.
Old 04 August 2008, 08:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When you read this:

He said he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game
Do you feel that it is the person, or the game that is to blame?

The correct answer, is, if course, the person.
Old 05 August 2008, 02:43 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
When you read this:

Do you feel that it is the person, or the game that is to blame?

The correct answer, is, if course, the person.

it says it itself when it says HE wanted to find out, so he did it on purpose to find out, the game diddnt hypnotize him or tell him did it?
Old 06 August 2008, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Parents used to go to great lengths to shield their young children from scenes of extreme violence or depravity and also the use of bad language. They were allowed to keep their innocence until they grew up to an age where the were better able to learn about such things without it affecting their characters badly.

There were always bad children of course, and usually they came from a more dysfunctional family. But the well brought up ones were able to reject that sort of behaviour because they knew it was wrong.

With all this went the teaching of discipline and respect for others. All that seems to have gone by the board these days and I think it is the reason fro so much trouble from so many young people. Even teachers are not allowed to discipline children in a way that they will respect as well as the restrictions on their parents of course.

I can't see how it will be possible to overcome the way society has deteriorated now. It would take a great deal of real effort and a very long time as well.

Les
Old 06 August 2008, 03:21 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=New_scooby_04;8048529
x million other teenagers and adults played this game without feeling the need to go out and kill someone.

Ns04[/QUOTE]

dont agree, i play GTA a lot and it made me go to a strippers and pick up a ***** and **** her in my car

or thats what i told wife :P
Old 07 August 2008, 08:58 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I've been playing computer games since they were invented, and apart from a short stint dressed in a spherical costume, muching passing ghosts, they've never effected me.

thing is though, many arguements assume normal, reasonable people. There was a woman at work a couple of years ago who genuinely couldn't understand why the current GTA was an 18, when her 14 year old could finish. Now it may be inbelievable that an adult could completely miss the point of certificates, as it is that she managed to get a job, but these people exist.
Old 07 August 2008, 09:33 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Here's a question. How many of you watched an 18 rated film before you were 18?

Certificates are a guide, that's all.
I do not beleive that some arbitary panel should be telling my 17 years old son what he can and cannot watch; There is no game on the market that I would feel uncomfortable with my 14 year old playing.