Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone with an I-Phone... good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2008, 11:57 AM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with an I-Phone... good or bad?

I'm thinking about getting an Iphone obviously on O2...

had a test run of the new 3g one in the o2 shop, looks very good... on the email side can you enter any ISP details or is it O2 email only?

Any good points / bad points about this phone, please write below. I dont want a phone thats gonna be useless in a month or so...

thanks

Andy
Old 02 August 2008, 12:07 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

This has been written elsewhere (by me amongst others). Firstly you are tied to O2 for 3G.

Good points:

I think the iPhone is brilliant, very easy interface, great applications, you can watch movies, unlimited data with O2, has GPS linked to Googlemaps.

Bad Points:

The battery life is very short and needs to be charged every night (if not more). This is a mixture of 3G, GPS and WiFi sucking the battery life and the fact you will just want to play with the phone all the time to quickly check your mail etc. There is no MMS. I have never sent an MMS in my life, but other people seem to think it is a problem. The camera is rubbish.

Steve
Old 02 August 2008, 03:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think the camera's that bad, he's one I just took out of the window and uploaded from the phone.

Last edited by JackClark; 02 August 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02 August 2008, 03:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As for email, the mail application allows you to enter the details for most POP and IMAP systems, so you're not limited to just O2 email.
Old 02 August 2008, 03:33 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I don't think the camera's that bad, he's one I just took out of the window and uploaded from the phone.

MobileMe Gallery

This one of yours is better

It depends what you want the camera for. I think that most mobile phone cameras are not very good, but the iPhone one is not as good as a comparable competitor phone.

Steve
Old 02 August 2008, 04:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

That's my weekend attire. Along with the leather chaps with the bum cut out.
Old 02 August 2008, 04:45 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

With regards to MMS, you could just send an email with the multi-media file attached OK, you can't send it to non-email enabled phones, but you can still send it to anyone with any form of access to email which most people have these days.

Trending Topics

Old 02 August 2008, 05:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Apple should be applauded for not including MMS, SMS should be next, the amount of money that's fleeced from people for this 'service' is appalling.

Did you know that byte for byte it costs more to send a SMS - let alone a MMS - to someone in the next room than it does to send data from the hubble space telescope!!

Here's hoping it dies a death.
Old 02 August 2008, 06:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Apple should be applauded for not including MMS, SMS should be next, the amount of money that's fleeced from people for this 'service' is appalling.

Did you know that byte for byte it costs more to send a SMS - let alone a MMS - to someone in the next room than it does to send data from the hubble space telescope!!

Here's hoping it dies a death.

Thing is that SMS was never meant to be a form of communication used by the public, it was developed for the field engineers, but for some reason it took off and presto, people like texting, let them do it, it pays my wage but I shall let you into a little secret, I dont text that much, its much easier to call them (though texting can be more convenient sometimes ) but to have a text war is pretty stupid imho.

Tony
Old 02 August 2008, 06:10 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Thing is that SMS was never meant to be a form of communication used by the public, it was developed for the field engineers, but for some reason it took off and presto, people like texting, let them do it, it pays my wage but I shall let you into a little secret, I dont text that much, its much easier to call them (though texting can be more convenient sometimes ) but to have a text war is pretty stupid imho.

Tony
u r rite m8
Old 02 August 2008, 06:14 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Tony
Not to mention, I can pass on and recieve more information about an event in a 30 second phone call than I can in 6 texts, so its cheaper for me to phone.
Old 02 August 2008, 06:18 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've been telling the missuse this for years Every 2 minutes, BEEP BEEP, 30 secs of frantic button bashing, 2 mins later BEEP BEEP ad infinitum. "FFS JUST CALL HER !!!!!!!!"
Old 02 August 2008, 06:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Thing is that SMS was never meant to be a form of communication used by the public, it was developed for the field engineers, but for some reason it took off
Probably my fault for finding the service - for free - all those years ago and caning it. We used to send a lot of flash messages as well - not sure if they still work - putting rude messages straight to the display was great sport.

But anyway, buy an iPhone, you're a fool if you think there's anything better on the market.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:53 AM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Probably my fault for finding the service - for free - all those years ago and caning it. We used to send a lot of flash messages as well - not sure if they still work - putting rude messages straight to the display was great sport.

But anyway, buy an iPhone, you're a fool if you think there's anything better on the market.
Depends what you want. If you want a gimmick phone (without MMS ) that will run its battery down every day if you use the convergence gimmicks then go ahead and knock yourself out fool!

Personally, I make do with an old Nokia which knocks the spots of the i-phone for what I need to use it for - making and receiving calls
Old 03 August 2008, 03:42 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

been using mine for a while now..i like it..best of all worlds..Music, video, interweb..fair play the camer sucks..but only in dark and dingy clubs..during the day its fine..(veiw my scoob) all pics taken from the i-phone..tok my holiday snaps with it as well....
Old 03 August 2008, 04:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The iPhone is fantastic, however the feature I use the least is it's ability to make phone calls

As a mail and web device it's awesome and Dynolicious from the App Store means it's almost the perfect gadget (I can't seem to get it to make my tea, yet)
Old 03 August 2008, 04:53 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

I can think of better things to spend £750 on, instead of a phone that will be replaced in less than a year. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 03 August 2008, 05:36 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

£750!! You want to try shopping around, I just sold mine for £159 and any monkey can get one on ebay for £200. That's cheaper than an iPod!! Get an iPhone and you can step away from the keyboard a bit more often
Old 03 August 2008, 06:44 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Where are you getting £750 from?
Old 03 August 2008, 06:53 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Probably working on 18(months) x £30 + £159(purchase - 16gb) = £699
Old 03 August 2008, 08:03 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I've just bought one today, its great, waited for the 3g version as the original iPhone were rubbish. As with other Apple products it will just update and still be cool 12 months down the line
Old 03 August 2008, 08:22 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Probably working on 18(months) x £30 + £159(purchase - 16gb) = £699

Or perhaps the most sensible tariff at £35/month (if you are actually going to use the phone as opposed to selling / unlocking it).

I agree with some of the comments above about 'just a phone' etc.. but I am a bit to technologically dependent these days, and it is great to be able to check email or search for something on the internet without having to boot up my laptop (or in fact have my laptop with me).

Steve
Old 03 August 2008, 08:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I had an I phone and was able to download loads of fun stuff to it, my 10 year old daughter loved it as I got that many fun things on it. No other phone beats it for internet quality, the internet does full pages and loads quicker than any other phone but when I went to make a call............ errr its the worst phone going, it reminded me when I got my 1st 3 network phone 5 years ago, I could hear others but no one could hear me Most of the time the iphone can't even get a signal. Do a google search on "iphone reception" and see for yourself The 02 network is excellent but with an iphone its non existent!!!!
Old 03 August 2008, 08:43 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Most of the time the iphone can't even get a signal. Do a google search on "iphone reception" and see for yourself
Hmmm..... dont like the sound of that....

Is it really that bad at being a phone?

Andy
Old 04 August 2008, 01:49 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyLyman
Hmmm..... dont like the sound of that....

Is it really that bad at being a phone?

Andy
My contract ends in 2 weeks, I have been due an upgrade for over 2 weeks, I'm on 02 so why am I holding out for a better phone after having the 1st iphone ???

The sony ericsson experia x1 is due out soon and it's the one I'm waiting for The iphone is crap
Old 04 August 2008, 09:10 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It works perfectly as a phone. These people fell for the propaganda laid down by companies that can't stock the iPhone. Do some research on the chipset, it's not an iPhone exclusive.

That Experia looks like a Chinese iPhone copy, good on SE though for recognising a good thing, I'll wager the touch screen is about as good as Samsung's effort and of course we all know how good Sony and Ericsson are at writing software!
Old 04 August 2008, 10:19 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

My iphone works perfectly fine as.... A PHONE...

Perhaps the original did have problems? Dunno I never had one, but with the 3G I've never had call reception problems, and no complaints from people I've called either.

Obviously from time to time, depending on where I am a 3G signal isnt available, but that only affects the data.

I must admit I was a bit sceptical about it, absolutely refusing to buy into Job's hype... I really can't stand the sycophantic ****.. but as a multifunction multimedia device, that also functions as a phone, and a half way camera it really is VERY good, and I'd struggle to suggest an equal. I am quite surprised at how useful this thing has been since I've had it.. the internet/maps in your pocket are a revelation and just work.. end of.

Oh and it looks nice too...

downside... fingerprints and worries about getting it scratched.

Oh and for anyone who's already got one.. if anybody is thinking of buy a ultra-slim Sena leather case for it, don't buy it from the Apple Store... you'll pay over the odds!
Apple Store (U.K.) - Sena Ultra Slim Pouch for iPhone

I ordered directly from the manufacturer in the U.S.
SENA CASES :: APPLE iPHONE 3G ULTRA SLIM POUCH
Used this discount code PCWIPNK11
... it arrived in 3 days by Fedex from the U.S total cost about £17.50
Old 04 August 2008, 11:25 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The reception on my 2G iPhone is the same as my Sony Ericsson. I don't know why people think it's bad as a phone. It seems there's a lot of people bashing it because it's Apple. I'm a confirmed, dyed in the wool anti-Mac IT geek, but I love the iPhone (but not iTunes, obviously)
Old 05 August 2008, 02:01 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Is there really no copy & paste functionality?

Either I'm stupid (a possibility ) or there isn't a way to copy a piece of text from an internet page to somewhere else?

Steve
Old 05 August 2008, 02:35 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

There's no copy and paste. I think I would have liked it about once in the time I've had the phone.

Quick Reply: Anyone with an I-Phone... good or bad?