Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bank Fraud - Wipes me out :(

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2008, 11:27 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Bank Fraud - Wipes me out :(

This came to light last night, I tried to use my debit card online to buy 4 tickets to the cinema to watch The Dark Knight (great film btw) and card got refused!! I was a little peed off so phoned the number on the web page to find out what was going on.

It turns out my card has been de-activated due to fraudulent transaction protection.

Three amounts have been deducted from my account totalling nearly £3,000 in the last few days - WTF!!!!!

The bank cannot do anything till monday and say I need to contact the two companies named on the three payments (MBNA Europe CS and Tescos) - Contacted both these companies and neither can do anything till monday

My Bank say that as it is a Visa Delta card it could take upto 5 or 6 weeks for a Visa Dispute to go thru!!! Bloody Great - NOT

I rarely use this card other than for cash withdrawals and the occasional online purchase! Will have to reconsider online from now on - especially as nowadays you have to give all card details including the security code on the back - Whats to stop some scumbag making a note of my card number / security code / postcode and house number etc then using those details to make payments on their own behalf.

I have, in the past, bought something online giving all this information and asking for delivery to be made to an address other than my home address (presents and the like)

I have the grand sum of £8.50 in my pocket, no beer in the fridge, 1/8th tank of petrol and a bbq to go to this affy!

ROBBIN' GITS!!!!!
Old 02 August 2008, 11:37 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you ave to supply a seperate password also ( bank requirement at least with Natwest ( mine ) ...?

sorry im assuming on line was where you met your fruadsters but,mybe not

Last edited by dpb; 02 August 2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02 August 2008, 11:38 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Gutted fella...

Not paid for petrol lately with it have ya ??

Loads of people getting done like that
Old 02 August 2008, 11:38 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

sucks m8
Old 02 August 2008, 11:42 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Jods,

I had the same kind of problem, but I was a victim of identity theft.

I had gone into Abbey to put some funds into my account and a couple of DD's had been refused payment, when I knew funds were available, turns out my Bank statement had been diverted to some unscrupulous individual, they had forged a driving license and a Credit card and went into Abbey and withdrew £500 in cash and transferred about £1000 to another account.

My account was frozen for 2 months and my mortgage payments couldn't be met because of the account being frozen....... The annoying thing was I had just deposited about £2000 into the account as well, which I could then not access !!!

It seemed that a statement and 2 forms of ID were 'proof of ownership' of my account ......... It obviously doesn't though !!!!

Good luck and hope you get yours sorted quicker than mine did.
Old 02 August 2008, 11:43 AM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

Hope it gets sorted soon for you
Old 02 August 2008, 11:48 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

Originally Posted by dpb
Did you ave to supply a seperate password also ( bank requirement at least with Natwest ( mine ) ...?

sorry im assuming on line was where you met your fruadsters but,mybe not
It did ask for one but I don't have one so clicked on the "I don't have a secure password" link which takes you to a page asking for additional details for security purposes. I correctly filled out all the details asked for but still got a knock back.

I think from now on I'll contact Abbey before I make any online payments and say they should not allow any online payments without my prior approval.

Trending Topics

Old 02 August 2008, 11:54 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

My Abbey account asked me to create a password the first time I tried to use it online. From then on, it always uses the same verification process when you are makig online purchases.
Old 02 August 2008, 01:31 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your problems. A few years ago this happened to me i only realized when i had a Nokia unlocking kit turn up at my home. Barclays (visa debit card), arranged a no fee no interest over draft for the period of the dispute. Got me into the branch to go through which transactions were fraudulent, refunded the amount, and then pursued the companies that allowed the transactions to happen.

At no time was i left with out access to my account or funds, the bank took the hit on the charges (which no doubt were moved onto the companies involved). May be worth another phone call, maybe hinting that such leaving you with out funds might result in you moving companies once the situation is resolved.
Old 02 August 2008, 01:35 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Seems odd - I've just had a second credit card cloned - both times the cr card company (both banks) have called me to ask about unusual purchasing patterns, and both times all the amounts have instantly been refunded, with me just need to fill in a form to confirm they weren't me after the event. i.e. I was never out of pocket.

Is it really so different with debit cards? It's their security that's failed, remember, so it's their liability - whatever they tell you. It's not your responsibility to contact the other companies - it's the bank's problem and their responsibility to prove to you that they can be trusted in the future.

Good luck

Gordo
Old 02 August 2008, 04:51 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

After reading this i have deceided....When i finish uni im buying a big fat safe too keep my money in
Old 02 August 2008, 05:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo
Is it really so different with debit cards? It's their security that's failed, remember, so it's their liability - whatever they tell you. It's not your responsibility to contact the other companies - it's the bank's problem and their responsibility to prove to you that they can be trusted in the future.

Good luck

Gordo
I had a charge card cloned and over £2,000 was taken before I received my statement and noticed.

One phonecall to the bank and the money was returned to my account within hours and the mess was theirs to sort.
Old 02 August 2008, 05:43 PM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

Jods, Your card was proberbly skimmed at a cashpoint and nothing to do with any online purchases. Its quiet common round where I live and I always check the machine for telltale signs before withdrawing cash. Once they have your card number its quiet easy to use it without needing a pin. I would guess that at the same time it was skimmed a camera also recorded the number on the back of the card, enabling online puchases to be made.

Debit cards operate differently to Credit cards, in that they have less protection and thats why it will take longer to get the money back.
Old 02 August 2008, 05:47 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My Maestro / cash card was cloned a couple of weeks ago and used in Rome to make just under £1k of purchases before the bank stopped the card.

Bank has refused point blank to refund and I now have to take it further.
Old 02 August 2008, 05:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
Debit cards operate differently to Credit cards, in that they have less protection and thats why it will take longer to get the money back.
Then if you read my post, not in all cases.
Old 02 August 2008, 06:00 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken out a basic bank account for on line purchases only.I only keep a minimal amount(couple of £) of cash in it,to keep it live.If i want to buy anything online,i transfer cash from my main account to pay for purchase.Especially useful for ebay purchases.
Haven't had any problems so far and only takes minutes to transfer money from my live account to other...
Have also bought a holiday cash card for when i go abroad.I just load it with the amount that i want to spend.The amount loaded onto the card is insured should i get screwed over and it cant be linked by thieves to my main account as its linked to my second account.
Gotta be the way forward
Old 03 August 2008, 10:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

this seams to happen all the time, but the real question is, do people actually get away with doing it?

ie: the bank might refund you, but do the police chase after the person doing the crime?
Old 03 August 2008, 11:19 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

tbh its frighteningly easy isnt it,even to a dope like me, who doesnt even drop litter never mind fraud, get some post out of a porch or bin from an affluent area, rent a flat, util bills in that name apply for a card, and catalogue, and bingo,
the world is your lobster,.
Old 03 August 2008, 11:27 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

My wife got hit last year.

Her handbag was stolen at 3pm, by 5pm, there was a trail of cashpoints & sales from the various cards stretching from near where we live, right the way to essex by which time the cards were stopped.

The card providers initially said she was liable as her pins were used. we proved that her pins weren't with her cards. and they refunded all.

the only one who have her grief were her own bank. they couldnt be arsed to respond to any letters we sent, unlike the snottygrams they sent out.

Mart
Old 03 August 2008, 03:47 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

A couple of years ago my CC company phoned me up to ask what transactions i had made in the past 2 weeks?
It turned out some1 had used my card details to make a payment to american express for £2k - my CC company (capitalone) had got suspicious (thankfully) and sent me a form to sign to say it wasn't me that did the transaction so i didn't lose any money.

About a year ago i had the benefits office send me a letter confirming my withdrawl of a claim which i never new anything about?????????????

bloody crooks everywhere
Old 03 August 2008, 08:55 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360

The card providers initially said she was liable as her pins were used. we proved that her pins weren't with her cards. and they refunded all.

Mart
Mart - This is what my bank are saying - PIN's were used so I am liable. Thats the letter I got from them last week.

How do you prove the Pins were not with the cards ? I will need to and the only way I can do it is by saying they were not - hard to believe they will believe me.

My case is slightly different in that there was no theft of wallet etc - my card and PIN was cloned (petrol station / cash point) and used abroad. My actual card never left me.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:20 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

empty your PM box you have mail

Mart
Old 03 August 2008, 09:36 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Happened to me 2 years ago, had £800 stolen out of my account, Abbey spotted it before I did and my account was frozen, took about 2 weeks to get back to normal with a new account, they will transfer all your DD's to a new account, Abbey did a good job sorting it, I wrote a well constructed letter of complaint highlighting the inconviences and they offered compensation. All's been well since, I did'nt change bank as I thought if it happens again they'll have a lot of explaining to do!
Old 03 August 2008, 10:57 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
empty your PM box you have mail

Mart
Now empty !
Old 03 August 2008, 11:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyray911
I have taken out a basic bank account for on line purchases only.I only keep a minimal amount(couple of £) of cash in it,to keep it live.If i want to buy anything online,i transfer cash from my main account to pay for purchase.Especially useful for ebay purchases.
Haven't had any problems so far and only takes minutes to transfer money from my live account to other...
that is a very good idea, I will set one up tomorrow.
astraboy.
Old 03 August 2008, 11:32 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyray911
Have also bought a holiday cash card for when i go abroad.I just load it with the amount that i want to spend.The amount loaded onto the card is insured should i get screwed over and it cant be linked by thieves to my main account as its linked to my second account.
Gotta be the way forward
Agree with the above 100%
Old 04 August 2008, 12:38 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmy2take
Agree with the above 100%
But what about taking out cash or using cash card?
I am now paranoid about taking out cash or using my Maestro card - as it was cloned recently and I have no idea where. It was probably at a cashpoint or a petrol station. I am usually pretty careful and now am paranoid !
Old 04 August 2008, 01:07 AM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Why is it that these scum bags manage to do all this, but if i want to take money out of the bank, or transfer funds i need a password, my card a special pin generator, etc etc. Either that or the bank stops liegitmet DD payments that have came out for months as they thought it was fraudulant.

Scum bags,
Old 04 August 2008, 12:59 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Got done for about £1500(cloning),on debit card.Got the money back from bank pretty quick.

What really really really gets my goat is we are meant to be so clever and advanced with 'money' and 'purchases ' nowadays and yet crime still seems far worse than the days of using cheques.

Why???? The Banks should pay out everytime because the whole card system is for their convenience far more than ours.They can run themselves using computers or 16 year old spotty kids rather than intelligent real bankers
Old 04 August 2008, 01:43 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its a bad situation for sure, but you have to remember 99.99% of businesses are legit and the know that if they tried to do fraud using card numbers that they have put through their business then they would be caught very quickly.

Think about it, business A takes 100 card payments a day. 5 of these are "cloned", "skimmed" etc etc. It wont take long for the data centres to pull together that 5 cards were all used at the same place. They have software that allows them to process all this info quite easily in their fraud departments.

The problem comes when the cards are used overseas, which is often the case IME, and then also if its cloned at a cash point - probably the worst possible way you can have your details nicked.

As such, I have not used a cash machine in over 2 years. I either go into the bank or get cash back at a big supermarket.

As for online shopping, I think this is one of the safer ways to shop myself, a lot of the time (for the bigger sites) the people who own the site might never see your actual full card details as they use a 3rd party to do the card payments like worldpay etc.

Quick Reply: Bank Fraud - Wipes me out :(