Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Career?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 09:21 PM
tommihayes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career?

I am looking for a career, as I am 22 and worked my way up to assistant manager of a small business hotel, however my CV isn't amazing as is mainly Pub/Hotel/Restaurant jobs.
Would love something (almost anything) within the motor industry but need a career that doesn't take all my evenings and weekends.
Anybody got any ideas? Or offers? Im in Leicester and willing to work within the East Midlands or further for something more interesting.
I went to university studying math and statistics but couldn't finish due to personal reasons. Am very good with computers and know my way round cars.
I also don't want to have to sell my scooby so soon after buying it.
Thanks in advance anybody.
Tom
Old 03 August 2008, 06:55 PM
tommihayes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody anything? I don't want to sell the scoob

Tom
Old 04 August 2008, 01:06 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a career that you love you will probably have to start at the bottom.

I went to college when I left school and started a degree in music. Did that for a year and a half and got bored, so I left(party due to the fact I didnt know just how good I had it!).

So then at 18 I was unemployed, had no confidence to do anything and felt like sh*t. Spent about 4 months claiming jobseekers allowance which made me feel even worse.

Then I was offered some casual work labouring for a slater. That was a serious shock to the system, especially in winter. Within two weeks he had me slating roofs myself , and I started to like everything about it, the fact it was a challenge. So I did that for about 2 months to get a bit of cash.

He was a bit of a tw*t though, very unreliable as a boss and a bit of an alchoholic, so when I was offered a job labouring for a joiner, I took it.

That was an even bigger shock and it took longer to get into it, but after about 6 months I started really liking it...again because I was pushed mentally and physically(because that boss was an even hardier old b*stard than the slater).

Did that for a year, and then decided I would work with my dad who is a steel erector/shed builder. I knew that would be another step up: longer hours(getting up at 5, and getting back home whenever), and outside all day every day regardless of the weather. Thats when it just clicked...I absolutely love this job and everything about it. Its the first time in my life I know I am making a proper difference to the way things are running and the speed everything is moving along at. I've been doing this for about a year and a half now, and its what i'm gonna be doing for a long time. Theres the potential to make alot of money once I become self employed, and i'm getting 10 hours of hard excersise every day. Again, I was knackered for months, but you get used to anything in life.

God thats a long story

I'm not saying thats the right path for you, but gives you an idea of how you can change what your doing. Might be difficult, but stick at it.