Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police Sirens and times of day use?

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 06:36 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police Sirens and times of day use?

Its before 5:30am and I am well awake, why? because of the three police cars which have gone blasting past my house in the last 20 minutes with the sirens on full. (it might even be the same car driving round macc )

I thought the emergency services werent suppose to use their sirens between 11pm and 7am?

I live just down the road from the fire and ambulance station and we never hear their sirens at night so what makes the police different and is there a law about siren usage?

Not used to being awake at this hour
Old 28 July 2008, 08:24 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually they don't, but if it's the only way they can get blind muppets to move over then they'll turn them on.

And don't forget: if there's an accident and it turns out the sirens weren't on, no matter when in the day it happened, then this forum would be full of people complaining that they weren't using them.

M
Old 28 July 2008, 10:03 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

my dad, who was an ambulance driver of some 25 years, says that between the hours of 11 and 7 they shouldnt use the sirens except to warn other divers when required. However he's been retired for over 10 years so the law might have changed since then.

The fire and ambulance service manage fine and they have smaller rapid response vehicles, the police seem to drive a lot between Macc and Knusford, with the sirens on in knutsford and switch the off when they reach macc. We get this at least a dozen times a day, but during the night is a little bit thin.

I know there going to an emergency, but ffs turn off the noise.
Old 28 July 2008, 10:15 AM
Semper
Scooby Regular

After that lass being killed in Newcastle at 11pm by a police car, it's no surprise that they have their blues and twos on. Can't blame them!
Old 28 July 2008, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I thought it was only ordinary car horns that were restricted from 11 to 7 am.

Best they use them on a call though rather than hitting someone. Been too much of that happening.

Les
Old 28 July 2008, 12:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Na Les, the enviromental people insisted years back it was unnecessary noise pollution and said that the sirens could only be blipped on and off where needed.

Maybe all the cars were single crewed, so safed just to turn the lights and noise on and keep going?

To be honest though, living 500 metres from the fire station and about 700 from the ambulance station, I have grown used to it. And would rather the occasional siren, than an evening of constant sirens and road closures, cos some numpty walked out infront of a police car on a call or something.

But I do empathise, at times, it can be hell!
Old 28 July 2008, 12:06 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Usually they don't, but if it's the only way they can get blind muppets to move over then they'll turn them on.

And don't forget: if there's an accident and it turns out the sirens weren't on, no matter when in the day it happened, then this forum would be full of people complaining that they weren't using them.

M

Spot on there.
Old 28 July 2008, 04:43 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Some forces in the UK are now saying their policy is response drivers must use sirens at all times on grade 1 jobs. They are also enforcing a 20mph over the posted limit system and prosecuting officers who go over.

So next time you are being robbed, remember the robbers will hear the police coming from miles away - very sloooowly..

Old 28 July 2008, 10:00 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've noted that of all emergency vehicles, all of them only use sirens as and when needed, except for the "reponse" panda cars. (As in the ones with sirens, but still used for normal police duties; i.e not the high powered traffic cars) Usually in the form of Peugeot Expert vans or 307s by me. Where they use the siren all the time when on a respose; no matter what time it is or if there is any traffic.

Worse still, because they are Pandas, for some political reason they don't break speed limits when responding, so there it tootles past at 30mph sirens wailing. Be it during the day or at 4:00am
Old 29 July 2008, 12:59 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments, thing is I live less than 200 metres from the Fire and Ambulance station and we only know that either have left the station is when the fire engine with the big ladder on leaves the station as that must have a monster engine in it cos it sounds evil when its moving. But no sirens.
Old 29 July 2008, 07:46 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

Worse still, because they are Pandas, for some political reason they don't break speed limits when responding,

That would be because the drivers have generally had no extra training, and are simply driving on a standard licence. As above, if they have an accident at speed, the same people currently whinging about their noise would be whinging just as loudly about their lack of training at high speed driving.

M
Old 29 July 2008, 10:34 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Where do you get that info from then?

No police driver in the UK can (should) drive on response (i.e blues and twos) without going on the response driving course. Does not matter if its a panda or otherwise.
Old 22 July 2013, 11:58 PM
eklassei
Scooby Newbie

Default Police / ambulance sirens at night

The law remains that sirens or any horns or loud noise beyond a certain decibel is illegal between the hours of 2300and 0700hrs.
The police blatantly ignore these laws yet they expect everyone else to observe the laws!!!
the police must lead by example if they want respect.
they are still not above the law, gone are the days of freemasonry.

The laws in this regard have not changed, so lets remind them to observe them too.
Old 23 July 2013, 12:27 AM
D4VEW557
Scooby Regular

How would you feel if they were driving at speed sirens wailing outside of the aforementioned hours chasing your stolen car.

While i agree some coppers are **** and think they are above the law on the whole as a law abiding citizen I respect they are doing a hard job in this day and age
Old 23 July 2013, 07:45 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happens to me most nights, the blast down my road with them on full, but then I expect when I need them, they'll do the same ..
Old 23 July 2013, 08:02 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

5 year old thread......
Old 23 July 2013, 08:15 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
5 year old thread......

Old 23 July 2013, 09:42 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You can sound your car horn at any time if you believe there is a danger and you need to use it.

Most police forces had a policy of 'one on - all on' - i.e you cant just use blue lights on their own. And if you are going to drive at speed or go through red lights, then you need your warning systems on.

As stated above - a bit difficult if you are trying to sneak up on a burglary in progress - most would turn off the sirens as you get closer, but you run the risk of getting put through the ringer if you crash on route.

I think this has been relaxed slightly now and if the driver has 'risk assessed' the situation, then sirens and lights need not be used all the time. Makes life a lot easier as you can never hear the radio with the sirens going.
Old 23 July 2013, 10:23 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
You can sound your car horn at any time if you believe there is a danger and you need to use it.
The common sense approach eh.
I must say this law that says it is legal to use your warning device at one hour and illegal to use one minute later has always struck me as one of those absurd little quirks that make this country what it is.
ps on a completely unrelated note, I wonder what name they will give the new Royal baby - I'm getting really excited about this!
Old 23 July 2013, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Most police forces had a policy of 'one on - all on' - i.e you cant just use blue lights on their own. And if you are going to drive at speed or go through red lights, then you need your warning systems on.

As stated above - a bit difficult if you are trying to sneak up on a burglary in progress - most would turn off the sirens as you get closer, but you run the risk of getting put through the ringer if you crash on route.

I think this has been relaxed slightly now and if the driver has 'risk assessed' the situation, then sirens and lights need not be used all the time. Makes life a lot easier as you can never hear the radio with the sirens going.
I am surprised you dont use headphones.

Les
Old 23 July 2013, 06:58 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
ps on a completely unrelated note, I wonder what name they will give the new Royal baby - I'm getting really excited about this!
I'm going for - Rylan Bieber Andrew Murray Windsor
Old 23 July 2013, 07:00 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I am surprised you dont use headphones.

Les
The headphones distort the operator as they speak and the sirens still drown it all out - you end up missing something important until you arrive.....
Old 23 July 2013, 07:07 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

They are to warn the crims and give them a chance to get away so the Police can concentrate on dealing with law biding folk driving home from work at 36mph and collect the£60 tax money.
Old 23 July 2013, 10:19 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

The headphones distort the operator as they speak and the sirens still drown it all out - you end up missing something important until you arrive.....
So get some noise cancelling headphones?

mb
Old 24 July 2013, 03:10 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
So get some noise cancelling headphones?

mb
Sounds a good idea - but not sure if the force will fork out the money for them or whether they will be compatible with the radio themselves. Its not so much the sound going into your ear from the headphone, more the noise from the siren going into your other ear.

You also have to listen out for other motorists, bikes, kids etc etc - sometimes best just to ignore comms and concentrate on your driving
Old 24 July 2013, 03:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Isn't that why traffic cars are two up, one for driving one for talking?
Old 24 July 2013, 03:47 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

On a side note, I saw a Krispy Kreme Donut van the other day, with 'Proudly sponsoring policemen everywhere!' writ large in the dirt on the back
Old 24 July 2013, 06:57 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Isn't that why traffic cars are two up, one for driving one for talking?
you'll be lucky to find a double crewed car now - traffic or response pandas
Old 24 July 2013, 09:39 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I have an Police siren adapted to fit on my house alarm and to say it is loud is an understatement.
Old 26 July 2013, 10:06 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

you'll be lucky to find a double crewed car now - traffic or response pandas
I work in Ashton under Lyne, you almost never see a car single manned round there.

Quick Reply: Police Sirens and times of day use?