Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

back pain (injections)

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2008, 04:21 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back pain (injections)

any one had these for disc problems?..the mrs has been offered them for her back, are they any good?
Old 23 July 2008, 04:56 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

steroid/ anti inflammatory i should say.
Old 23 July 2008, 05:00 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

My other half had this done a few years ago. Cortisone. In his lower back. He said it was the most painful thing he has ever had done. Yet, he has had no problems since. Saying that, the twinges are appearing again, but it was never offered as a cure just an easement.
Old 23 July 2008, 05:02 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had one 3 months ago. it maybe worked a bit for a few days but i wasnt sure. back to square one again
Old 23 July 2008, 05:43 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

the mrs has been offered them, with physio aswell for a disc problem...+ she hates needles.
Old 23 July 2008, 05:45 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

i was asleep for the jab, day surgery. there is no pain associated with the needle at all
Old 23 July 2008, 06:27 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i was asleep for the jab, day surgery. there is no pain associated with the needle at all

good she hates needles
Old 23 July 2008, 06:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by sarasquares

Hello, you

My other half had 4 jabs, and he was awake. Like I said, he said he has never known pain like it. But, it did ease things alot for him over the last few years
Old 23 July 2008, 11:57 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Hello, you

My other half had 4 jabs, and he was awake. Like I said, he said he has never known pain like it. But, it did ease things alot for him over the last few years

awake??

mine were a nerve root jab, maybe thats different. mine was done with an xray machine.......i think mine was totally different actually

hello you back
Old 24 July 2008, 12:01 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

My fellas dad has some sort of injection in his back ever 6 months he has 6 at one time!

He walks with a bad limp and is classed as disabled for it.

He's a wuss and scared of needles too so he's put to sleep for them aswell.

Steph xx
Old 24 July 2008, 08:53 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lem6
any one had these for disc problems?..the mrs has been offered them for her back, are they any good?
depends what it's for mate, i've had an anti imflammatory injection for a prolapsed disc and that was done while sedated.

drip line in the back of the hand (which i thought was worse than the actual epidural!) then went all dopey (well, a bit more than normal) injection lasted for about 10 secs and it only hurt for the last couple, then wheeled off for a kip

took away my sciatic pain for a few days, then wore off. this was back in feb and was offered surgery 8 weeks later as this was the only further treatment available.

touch every piece of wood in reach, but for the last couple of months i've been pretty good and 90% pain free, no idea what's caused the swelling to go down, but if this is what your missus is going through don't give up hope if there isn't an immediate fix. sciatic problems can ease over time.

i had about 18 months of proper pain and a big reliance on painkillers and got really down when the injection didn't work, so stick in there if this form of treatment doesn't give instant results
Old 25 July 2008, 12:53 AM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
depends what it's for mate, i've had an anti imflammatory injection for a prolapsed disc and that was done while sedated.

drip line in the back of the hand (which i thought was worse than the actual epidural!) then went all dopey (well, a bit more than normal) injection lasted for about 10 secs and it only hurt for the last couple, then wheeled off for a kip

took away my sciatic pain for a few days, then wore off. this was back in feb and was offered surgery 8 weeks later as this was the only further treatment available.

touch every piece of wood in reach, but for the last couple of months i've been pretty good and 90% pain free, no idea what's caused the swelling to go down, but if this is what your missus is going through don't give up hope if there isn't an immediate fix. sciatic problems can ease over time.

i had about 18 months of proper pain and a big reliance on painkillers and got really down when the injection didn't work, so stick in there if this form of treatment doesn't give instant results

yeah she's had an mri (finally) and has a disc problem that is extremely painful and causes sciatica, they said next route is the injections, but i think what if that doesn't work? osteopath for disc manipulation?...only 24 and she's suffered with it for ages, we'll have to wait n see, fingers crossed, but if they don't work, she's going to have surgery wether they think it's severe enough or not!!!!!
Old 25 July 2008, 07:39 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lem6
yeah she's had an mri (finally) and has a disc problem that is extremely painful and causes sciatica, they said next route is the injections, but i think what if that doesn't work? osteopath for disc manipulation?...only 24 and she's suffered with it for ages, we'll have to wait n see, fingers crossed, but if they don't work, she's going to have surgery wether they think it's severe enough or not!!!!!
i think i'm right in saying they can only give 3/4 injections a year, not great if they only last a couple of weeks at best

again, no expert just trying to remember all i've been told, but a disc prolapse is different to a slipped disc in that a disc slip is movement of the whole disc whereas a prolapse is a rupture/leak of the gel in the disc so i don't think you can move this externally.

i had pysio and oesteopath treatment and it didn't help at all, but again, everyone is different and at the worst you learn some proper stretching exercises

if what i've read is correct a private op has a faster recovery time as after they've shaved off the prolapse from the disc/discs they laser seal it. the NHS let it seal naturally so you have to take things a lot easier. worth bearing in mind if the missus has some work/personal commitment.

sorry if any of this is not quite 100% but it's a bit early to get the grey matter working
Old 25 July 2008, 01:31 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

it'll b expensive on private thouh wont it?, from what the guy said it's the disc that's moved?
Old 25 July 2008, 01:35 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I have a good friend who's had back surgery, similar story. My advice, try every other option open to you first. No matter how tempting it seems right now, your back is never the same again after surgery.
Old 25 July 2008, 01:53 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I have a good friend who's had back surgery, similar story. My advice, try every other option open to you first. No matter how tempting it seems right now, your back is never the same again after surgery.
Sorry but I think this statement is a little misleading.

I suffered with two prolapsed discs for 18 months and developed a range
of issues including sciatica in both legs

Didnt have the injections and went streight for surgery on the NHS (this is after 12 months of manipulation privatly by a chropractor.

After the surgery I was up and about within a matter of hours and my back has never been better.
In fact I would say it is the strongest it has ever been and I can easily partake in any activity you would care to mention.

The only thing I am more aware of is how to trat my back properly now as to not cause similar injuries again as I am sure you are aware most back problems are caused my innapropriate movement of some sort.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Ok, i'll hold my hands up there, Buster, sounds like it went brilliantly for you. But i'd still contest that you're the exception rather than the rule, especially in older (35+) people.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:05 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Ok, i'll hold my hands up there, Buster, sounds like it went brilliantly for you. But i'd still contest that you're the exception rather than the rule, especially in older (35+) people.
Ok well I concede too im only 27

Also I will admit there is a risk involved with the surgery (i.e you could end up fooked)

However due to the length of time I had the problem for and the amount of pain I was in I made the decision to do it.

Could have been the luckiest best decision I ever made (if that makes sense)
Old 25 July 2008, 02:10 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Ah right, didn't realise you were that young. Then yeah, ok, there's a good chance of full recovery like you. But i'd still urge caution against thinking it's as good as it ever was, seriously. Scar tissue and spines don't mix well - treat it with upmost respect.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:25 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I had back surgery several years ago, exactly the same... 18 months of pain followed by microdisectomy. My disc had prolapsed in two places both of which were pressing against the spinal cord.

The surgery has effectively fused the two vertebrae (L4/L5) together, so although I appear to have full mobility my spine is under greater stress due to reduced flexibility (in both bend and compression).

So you're not the same as before, you may get away with more because of your age, but it will catch up with you one day
Old 25 July 2008, 02:50 PM
Princess_Pie
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I had back surgery several years ago, exactly the same... 18 months of pain followed by microdisectomy. My disc had prolapsed in two places both of which were pressing against the spinal cord.

The surgery has effectively fused the two vertebrae (L4/L5) together, so although I appear to have full mobility my spine is under greater stress due to reduced flexibility (in both bend and compression).

So you're not the same as before, you may get away with more because of your age, but it will catch up with you one day
Still, at least it didn't stop you from bending over and taking it from big Si, though.
Old 25 July 2008, 02:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

A chap I know had terrible sciatic pains, such that he was virtually unable to move around in the end. It was due to disc problems of some kind.

He had it operated on and has not had a moment's problem ever since. He was 65 when he had the operation.

If I had such a problem I would not hesitate to have the operation.

Les
Old 25 July 2008, 02:53 PM
Buster-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

I agree there will be a higher chance of me damaging my back rather than someone that has never had surgery

However a microdicetomy dous not efectivley fuse two discs together.
The bulge that has prolapsed from the disc is removed and the hole in the original disc scars over.....However the disc has now lost some of its cushoning and impact protection properties due to the jelly like substance from the centre causing the problem in the first and subsequently being removed.

A spinal or vertabre fusion is a totally differnt prospect involving removal of the disc and fusion of said vertebre.
I would not be in the cue for this operation in a hurry
Old 26 July 2008, 11:20 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buster-WRX
I agree there will be a higher chance of me damaging my back rather than someone that has never had surgery

However a microdicetomy dous not efectivley fuse two discs together.
The bulge that has prolapsed from the disc is removed and the hole in the original disc scars over.....However the disc has now lost some of its cushoning and impact protection properties due to the jelly like substance from the centre causing the problem in the first and subsequently being removed.

A spinal or vertabre fusion is a totally differnt prospect involving removal of the disc and fusion of said vertebre.
I would not be in the cue for this operation in a hurry

how long did you have to wait fro the surgery m8, and what was the recovery time like, hope injections work but the mrs is only 24 and had severe back pain for 4 years now, may have to have the op!
Old 27 July 2008, 10:28 AM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

email notifications were down so i missed all of this yes mate, i would imagine private would be a few quid, not an option i looked myself so i'm not sure off figures.

to quote the info on the op i am being offered - the surgery consisits of either removing bulging disc material or widening the bony canal by removing bone and soft tisues through which the nerve roots run. the surgery is delicate and needs care. i do not do the surgery for back pain itself and therefore no fusion operations or disc replacements are performed.

and for recovery times - return to work -- for a relatively sedentry job, think in terms of 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery. for a manual job, between 8 to 12 weeks.

the odds that are realistic for this type of surgery are as follows

80-85% chance of alleviating the leg pain
10% chance no better
5% chance of being worse

there's a bit more info regarding the actual op and out patients, if you want i could email it off to you? PM me your addy if you'd like it.

this is all for a prolapsed disc and they would normally refer to this as such, it is possible the missus has a totally different problem and treatment is totally different. just don't want to lead you up the wrong path mate

Last edited by hoskib; 27 July 2008 at 10:31 AM.