Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2008, 01:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New online US visa scheme being introduced

FYI

New online US visa scheme being introduced

Travellers to the US from the UK exempt from certain US visa requirements will have to use a new online travel authorisation process from January 12.

Under the new Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA), all travellers, including children, from 27 countries under the US visa waiver programme will have to fill out an electronic travel authorization form online (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/) prior to boarding a US-bound aircraft or ship

Initially, there will be no fee to submit an application.

It will require answering questions about criminal records, communicable diseases, past history of visa revocation or deportation, and basic biographical data such as name, birth date and passport information.

Changes in address and itinerary can be made online after the ESTA form has been first submitted, according to the US State Department.

ESTA is not a substitute for a visa, as visas will still be required for certain travel from visa waiver countries.

“It is principally for those individuals planning to travel to the United States for temporary business or pleasure,” a statement said.

“Individuals from those and other countries traveling under valid visas will not be required to apply through ESTA. And just like with visas, those travelling with an ESTA approval will still be required to go through pre-clearance facilities at US ports of entry.”

The new process is intended to determine whether a traveller to the US is a law enforcement or security risk.

US Customs and Border Protection will begin to accept voluntary ESTA applications through the ESTA Web site: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ from August 1.

US officials warn that after ESTA becomes mandatory, travellers who have not received prior approval may be denied boarding, experience delays or be denied admission at a US port of entry.

If an applicant is not approved for travel through ESTA, he or she would have to apply for travel through the normal visa process. And if a traveller previously had been refused admission or a visa to the US, he or she would not be eligible for ESTA.

US homeland security secretary Michael Chertoff said: "Getting this information in advance enables our front-line personnel to determine whether a visa-free traveler presents a threat before boarding an aircraft or arriving on our shores.

"It is a relatively simple and effective way to strengthen our security, and that of international travellers, while helping to preserve an important program for key allies."

Currently, travellers must fill out a paper form detailing their passport information, travel plans and intended length of stay when arriving on a carrier to the US.

The Department of Homeland Security is developing plans to phase out this form.

While US authorities recommend that the applications be submitted no less than 72 hours prior to travel, ESTA can accommodate last-minute and emergency travelers.

Travel authorisation is good for two years or until the applicant's passport expires, whichever is first.

But if the traveller acquires a new passport or changes a name or other identifying biographical information, a new travel authorisation would be required.
Old 10 July 2008, 01:29 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

This info was released at least a month ago- from jan 12th 2009 it will replace the green I94W visa waiver form you currently fill in on the plane, with exactly the same information required- its not a new visa requirement, simply a shift in how the VWP will operate.
Old 10 July 2008, 01:31 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Freak
This info was released at least a month ago- from jan 12th 2009 it will replace the green I94W visa waiver form you currently fill in on the plane, with exactly the same information required- its not a new visa requirement, simply a shift in how the VWP will operate.

Spot on!
Old 10 July 2008, 01:39 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

I was over in Canada last year then went to New York for the weekend but on crossing back into Canada the green form was never taken out of my passport by the Canadian border guards.I take it this is going to be a right pain to get sorted out - will I now be classed as an illegal if they think I am still in the US.
Old 10 July 2008, 01:45 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
I was over in Canada last year then went to New York for the weekend but on crossing back into Canada the green form was never taken out of my passport by the Canadian border guards.I take it this is going to be a right pain to get sorted out - will I now be classed as an illegal if they think I am still in the US.

Its on the US embassy/dept homeland security website- you have to send it- and some proof, like boarding pass, plus proof of some some activity outside the US since you left- to some address in the US where it gets processed.
Do it ASAP- otherwise it may well cause you problems should you return.
Old 10 July 2008, 04:31 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

The slip wasn;t removed from my passport when i left and they gave me a b*ll*cking next time i went to the US, still let me in though
Old 10 July 2008, 04:34 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ditto
Old 10 July 2008, 04:39 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi
The slip wasn;t removed from my passport when i left and they gave me a b*ll*cking next time i went to the US, still let me in though
Off topic I know but I was going to ask you why you don't play on Windows Media Player (Vista) but I found a solution thanks to GSpot software.

Proceed.
Old 10 July 2008, 04:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've had a few of the green slips left in my passport over the years. I think, and I could be wrong here, that they are valid for 3 months, so if you go back to the US within 3 months, the theory is that you might not have to fill in another green form as you still have the stump from the previous one. Never tried it myself though. I recall being told that if they don't take it out then you should surrender it somehow (think you were meant to post it off somewhere).

It is amusing if they have a go on your next entry, as you've obviously been out of the country, otherwise you'd not be coming back in.

In regards to the new form, is it online only? What happens if you don't have internet access? I presume in that case you'd be going to a travel agent and they'd have access and you fill it out there.

How long before you fly do you have to submit the information? I recall that there was talk of some information submittal process that required you to submit the information 48 hours before you fly, this obviously met with disapproval, so they revised the timeframe, to 72 hours! This again was met with disapproval, the main comment coming from the business sector who commented that this will cause problems with people who need to fly to the US on very little or no notice, which can and does happen, I've been in that situation myself once or twice in the past.
Old 10 July 2008, 04:44 PM
bmac800
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Avi
Was this recently as I have the chance to go to San Diego in October.
Old 10 July 2008, 04:57 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Off topic I know but I was going to ask you why you don't play on Windows Media Player (Vista) but I found a solution thanks to GSpot software.

Proceed.
Geek
Old 10 July 2008, 05:01 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bmac800
Was this recently as I have the chance to go to San Diego in October.
Read what i posted above-and have a look on the US embassy site which tells you where to send it.
And when you go to san diego, take some bank statements/c card bills, or any boarding passes from any other flights you have taken since you were last in the US.
And no, im not joking.

Originally Posted by Markus
I've had a few of the green slips left in my passport over the years. I think, and I could be wrong here, that they are valid for 3 months, so if you go back to the US within 3 months, the theory is that you might not have to fill in another green form as you still have the stump from the previous one. Never tried it myself though.
Ive tried that before when going back only 8 days after I left - was told explicitly never to do that again.
One form=one entry (unless you leave to canada/mexico for like a few days).

It is amusing if they have a go on your next entry, as you've obviously been out of the country, otherwise you'd not be coming back in.
They know you have left, as obviously you want to get back in. Its how long you were there for that they are concerned about..... if you have overstayed the 90 days permitted on the VWP and it can be proved, then you are in theory banned from the US for either 3 or 10 years depending on how severely you overstayed- hence why they try and collect the green slips on departure so they know when you left.

In regards to the new form, is it online only? What happens if you don't have internet access? I presume in that case you'd be going to a travel agent and they'd have access and you fill it out there.

How long before you fly do you have to submit the information? I recall that there was talk of some information submittal process that required you to submit the information 48 hours before you fly, this obviously met with disapproval, so they revised the timeframe, to 72 hours! This again was met with disapproval, the main comment coming from the business sector who commented that this will cause problems with people who need to fly to the US on very little or no notice, which can and does happen, I've been in that situation myself once or twice in the past.
The current API requirements have to be done by the time you board, either online in advance or at check in.
This new one has to be done 72 hours in advance and by the passengers, and you can only do it online - although they maintain there will be provision for 'emergency' ones.
The good (?) thing about it is that you do it once, then its valid for two years- although thats only a pre authorisation to board a plane- you still have to deal with the delightful immigration people every time, and they can of course still refuse you entry and give you a grilling if they choose.

This is also being done because they are stepping up their exit records for people, so they will know who has left and who hasnt. In theory anyway!

Last edited by Freak; 10 July 2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10 July 2008, 08:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Geek

I was asked OK!! Oh and I know what's on the recordings.