Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

9m hit by increases to VED

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2008, 09:20 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9m hit by increases to VED

Admits Govt, but says it designed to cut pollution, NOT to raise revenue.
It's calculated the exchequer will receive an extra £1billion by 2011.

So yes, it's not about raising revenue.

BBC NEWS | Politics | Road tax increase 'will hit 9m'
Old 10 July 2008, 09:56 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry in 12 years we'll be fine! Gordon has said he wants all petrol powered cars off the road by 2020
Old 10 July 2008, 10:00 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I reckon that badger faced old darling and his not-so-flash gordon predecessor just need to balance the books as best they can that's all. Not long ago, diesel was always cheaper than petrol: as soon as the car manufacturers started producing turbo-diesel cars that were not only economical, but also pretty much on a par with their normally aspirated petrol cousins, the UK public started buying them in their droves instead of petrol ones. Net result: reduced petrol tax revenue. "Bugger me my darling", said Gordon: better put diesel fuel tax up then to compensate or else we'll be a bit short of cash.

Next problem, though: diesels do about 40% more MPG than petrol cars. "Oh no my darling, we've got our maths wrong again. Even we're not stupid enough to put up diesel fuel tax by over 40%. However, the good news is that the ridiculously high oil price has saved our bacon somewhat and means that we are automatically getting loads more VAT to help dig us out if this hole. But we still need more, so let's just put up the flat rate VED road tax on millions of people's cars, irrespective of whether they do 300 miles per year or 300,000 miles per year. Fortunately I reckon the British public is stupid enough to buy this one as a Green Tax to help save the planet from armageddon".
Old 10 July 2008, 10:07 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Diesel price went up as a result of supply and demand. Simple as. You do not increase demand as much as you have on Diesel without there being an impact ton the price.

But on topic... As for the the new VED rates, ther eis hope that the Government will bring in measures to recuce the hit on people with cars between 2001-2006, mainly due to threatened rebellion over the issue.

I want to see if there is a firm commitment from the Tories on the issue too. Will they repeal it? Modify it? All they have said so far is that it is "unfair".. Which is fine, but what are they proposing to do?
Old 10 July 2008, 10:14 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

I want to see if there is a firm commitment from the Tories on the issue too. Will they repeal it? Modify it? All they have said so far is that it is "unfair".. Which is fine, but what are they proposing to do?
Agree on that score.

I feel the Tories will jump on the band wagon for the motorist because they know damn well it will be a vote winner for them.

Unfortunately i dont have much time for most political parties now as they only seem interested in telling the public what they want to here so they win votes and hopefully gain power instead of genuinly wanting to help the country out of this mess.
Old 10 July 2008, 10:15 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Labour are taking us down with them.
Old 10 July 2008, 10:45 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If the new VED was aimed to cut pollution, how does that work? I'd understand if it only applied to new cars as the high VED would obviously influence what car I buy in the future. Duty on fuel could regulate how I drive and how often. But how is it going to cut my pollution with my existing car? Encourage me to sell my car and by a less polluting car? Nope, what it will do is encourage me to buy a car pre-2001 and pay the much lower VED what ever the CO2 the car may emit.
Old 10 July 2008, 10:47 AM
twistybits
Scooby Regular

Thing is, if a individual or business took money from us and said it was for a particular product or service they would be obliged to deliver that service or product.

I wish that the same could be said for the goverment taxes, if they could be audited to show exactly where the money is going it would open peoples eyes a bit. in the business world it would be considered fraud if they took money for one purpose then spent it on another.

So if we get taxed for environmental reasons all the money should be spent on services in those areas...chance of that ?????

Its the same with state pension contributions, all of us have been paying in money to our state pensions however if we stopped paying as of today the government would only have enough money to pay the existing pensioners for 2-3 year maximum, so where the hell has all the money the current pensioners have paid for the last 40-50 years gone?
Old 10 July 2008, 10:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was the same with all his budgets when he was chancellor. When he gave his speeches in the House it all sounded great and that we were doing alright, until a bit later when the small print came out and we found we were being screwed yet again. He is typical of his party, lie about it all, then screw as much out of the people as he can, and then throw it all away on things that are useless to the country.

Les
Old 10 July 2008, 11:01 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
If the new VED was aimed to cut pollution, how does that work? I'd understand if it only applied to new cars as the high VED would obviously influence what car I buy in the future. Duty on fuel could regulate how I drive and how often. But how is it going to cut my pollution with my existing car? Encourage me to sell my car and by a less polluting car? Nope, what it will do is encourage me to buy a car pre-2001 and pay the much lower VED what ever the CO2 the car may emit.
It doesn't work full stop. Only fair way to tax someone is for their use not their engine size or emission.

Also, buying a pre 01 car doesn't solve it. My wifes Seat Leon 90HP diesel is W reg and £200. We do 5K in it in a year. We pay £200.

My mothers Audi 02 130HP diesel is £150 and she does well over 15K a year.

Its the same flippin engine!

Its just bollox.
Old 10 July 2008, 11:04 AM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
I reckon that badger faced old darling and his not-so-flash gordon predecessor just need to balance the books as best they can that's all. Not long ago, diesel was always cheaper than petrol: as soon as the car manufacturers started producing turbo-diesel cars that were not only economical, but also pretty much on a par with their normally aspirated petrol cousins, the UK public started buying them in their droves instead of petrol ones. Net result: reduced petrol tax revenue. "Bugger me my darling", said Gordon: better put diesel fuel tax up then to compensate or else we'll be a bit short of cash.

Next problem, though: diesels do about 40% more MPG than petrol cars. "Oh no my darling, we've got our maths wrong again. Even we're not stupid enough to put up diesel fuel tax by over 40%. However, the good news is that the ridiculously high oil price has saved our bacon somewhat and means that we are automatically getting loads more VAT to help dig us out if this hole. But we still need more, so let's just put up the flat rate VED road tax on millions of people's cars, irrespective of whether they do 300 miles per year or 300,000 miles per year. Fortunately I reckon the British public is stupid enough to buy this one as a Green Tax to help save the planet from armageddon".
I fully agree turbo2, wish everyone did.
Old 10 July 2008, 11:06 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

For once in my life I feel almost pleased to be poor - all my cars were built in the last century
Old 10 July 2008, 11:45 AM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2

Well said
Old 10 July 2008, 11:53 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

flash has just killed any possible chance of labour winning the next election, i shant be voting for em again either, don't think im gonna bother, none of the parties inspire me at all
Old 10 July 2008, 12:10 PM
twistybits
Scooby Regular

Bring back Maggie....
Old 10 July 2008, 12:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to pay over £300 for my car cos it emits 213 gms/km, I am averaging about 35 miles a week as I live near to work and am cycling, I would get another car but the rub is that the changes have turned my 9 grand car into a 5 grand car in six months, thanks very f*ckin much, I paid wodges of tax on the money I saved to buy it and have paid the road tax, now they have made it so I cant really get a lower tax car without takign a massive hit on it, ok, I expected a drop but a grand a month is a bit much.

I worked hard to get my car, I didnt borrow and then I get booted in the teeth by the people I voted for.

Next time, they can p1ss off, I suspect i am not the only one thinking this.

Boris for Prime Minister !
Old 10 July 2008, 12:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

seconded, any party in too long needs a kick up the ****
Old 10 July 2008, 12:57 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EddScott
It doesn't work full stop. Only fair way to tax someone is for their use not their engine size or emission.

Also, buying a pre 01 car doesn't solve it. My wifes Seat Leon 90HP diesel is W reg and £200. We do 5K in it in a year. We pay £200.

My mothers Audi 02 130HP diesel is £150 and she does well over 15K a year.

Its the same flippin engine!

Its just bollox.
It works if we buy pre-2001 performance cars (and there are plenty!) and gas guzzling chelsea tractors, that is until they close that loop hole!

Last edited by jonc; 10 July 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10 July 2008, 01:06 PM
al4x1
Scooby Regular

quite glad my L200 is classed as commercial so will stay low along with all white vans that do mega miles each year. Makes perfect sense to Flash
Old 10 July 2008, 01:17 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Here's a thought.....

What if labour knew they were on the way out and introduced a shed load of tax hikes on the basis that the new government (Conservatives) would reap the benefits and blame labour for its introduction....

Almost a 'behind the scenes' deal..... not disimilar to releasing lots of bad news on the back of a major disaster, but they'd never do that, would they

Now what was it when Maggie lost the last race?.... poll tax anyone
Old 10 July 2008, 01:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

Another tax on working people with everyday vehicles.

I See a 2002 Pug 407 2.0l petrol is in the higher classes - now that is a wealthy persons choice of transport.

Like the drop in the 10p tax rate another tax on working people and in some cases people who can least afford it.

NL fecking people over again

Ill thought out out or premeditated i wonder...One is down to stupidity, the other a calculated move both as bad as each other in many ways.

I dislike Brown and his cronies and i do not believe they have the best interests of this country and its people at heart - self serving short sighted imbeciles IMHO
Old 10 July 2008, 01:28 PM
turbogav
Scooby Regular

The policy is a disgrace and typical of the way Flash and Badger conduct their politics. It was marketed by them as saving the ordinary family money which was never the case, its only now the average Joe is beginning to realise how the VED increase will impact their pocket.
Agree the country needs an election asap to get these two ***** out of office, sadly I don't think the Tories will be much better but a change is needed.
On the flip side though, my year 2000 P1 will still only be £200 in 2010, result!
Old 10 July 2008, 01:40 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I think its only sinking in with the public now - a guy at work came into my office last week, he asked me if his Mondeo was gonna go up, when i told him his 1.8 2004 plate Mondeo woul go up by 60 quid a year he was well p**** off. I mean its not exactly a fire breathing planet killing monster is it?
Old 10 July 2008, 01:42 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

boy is it going to hurt Flash next election, a Prime Minister never elected by the people thats got the hit his ego hard

Last week I got my £400 road tax
Old 10 July 2008, 02:17 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Final nail in their coffin

Glad I'm too tight to buy a newer car - I'll be sticking with my chavvy Classic (imported from new in '99)
Old 10 July 2008, 03:02 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Why has this cropped up again? This is like the 3rd time this has appeared as if it's news!?

Yeah this tax is sh!te but the re-emergence of this story again as if it's the latest news is pretty much media driven gloom mongering... to add to all the other "PANIC the world is ending" economic outlook stories..
Old 10 July 2008, 03:39 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
Why has this cropped up again? This is like the 3rd time this has appeared as if it's news!?

Yeah this tax is sh!te but the re-emergence of this story again as if it's the latest news is pretty much media driven gloom mongering... to add to all the other "PANIC the world is ending" economic outlook stories..
Because we all like a good moan. You're right though: it's clearly a "thin" news day amongst the media! Maybe one of the Fleet Street editors popped in to the post office yesterday to tax his car and got a big shock.
Old 10 July 2008, 03:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Its come into the news again because thier has been a report relased that 9million drivers will be worse off as a result of the new VED charges.

For more information, see very first post of the thread.
Old 10 July 2008, 03:49 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I am sure that anyone with access to DVLA data could have told us that all those months ago when the policy was announced, so it's not really hot news. I guess it's surprising it took this long for somebody to bother investigating the consequences.

Quick Reply: 9m hit by increases to VED