Cyclist handed 'laughable fine' after girl's death

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2008, 12:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cyclist handed 'laughable fine' after girl's death

Cyclist handed 'laughable fine' after girl's death - Yahoo! News UK

A cyclist who caused the death of a young pedestrian by ploughing into her after shouting 'move because I'm not stopping' has been handed a "laughable fine".

The family of 17-year-old Rhiannon Bennett insisted Jason Howard should have been tried for manslaughter.

Howard, 36, was fined £2,200 after he was found guilty of dangerous cycling, £300 less than the maximum.

Rhiannon was struck by Howard when she walked with friends in Buckingham last year after he shouted: "Move because I'm not stopping." She hit her head on the pavement and died of her injuries.

Speaking outside court, her father, Mick Bennett, said Howard was an "arrogant and vile little man" who should have faced manslaughter charges and been jailed for several years.

He said: "It's laughable - when we first heard about this we thought it would be manslaughter, or perhaps even murder, but this is Britain."

Her mother Maureen said "words cannot express" how upset the family is.

Aylesbury Magistrates Court heard that he could have swerved to avoid the girl but told police he thought a shout would be enough to avoid the collision.
Old 09 July 2008, 12:56 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

CPS spokesperson said: "A file of evidence from the police was reviewed by a senior CPS prosecutor and, based on that evidence, it was decided the charge of dangerous cycling was the most appropriate.

"Each case is kept under continuous review and following correspondence with Rhiannon's family, the case was looked at before and after the inquest into Rhiannon's death, which returned a verdict of accidental death.

"It was decided that the charge of dangerous cycling was the appropriate charge and there was insufficient evidence for more serious charges, such as manslaughter, to be pursued."

Law change

Sgt Dominic Mahon, of Thames Valley Police, told the BBC Howard could have been travelling at about 17mph (27km/h) when he struck Rhiannon, "imparting a great deal of force" on her.

On Monday, the court heard Howard could have swerved to the right of the group and avoided the collision.

But Sgt Mahon said he stayed on a "straight course" towards the group because he had thought he could get through a gap he saw between Rhiannon and her friends.

However, it seems Rhiannon moved in to the gap at the last second and was struck by the bike.

It was unclear in court as to whether she was still in the road or on the pavement when the collision happened.

"We think Rhiannon was probably a few inches, or a foot, into the road and then she moved towards the pavement," said Sgt Mahon
Old 09 July 2008, 01:09 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't say whether this was on the road or footpath or whether any type of pedestrian crossing was involved, so bit difficult to comment really.
Old 09 July 2008, 01:13 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Although the article states she struck her head "on the pavement". Now I am pretty sure in the UK anything referencing pavement is not a road (Although roads are sometimes refered to being "paved") and the domain of pedestrians.
Old 09 July 2008, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Apparently he is a cocksure and uncooperative individual and was not prepared to steer away from the pedestrians because he felt too important.

Les
Old 09 July 2008, 01:30 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Around 12 years ago i was knocked down by a cyclist, crossed the road buuger all there then 'BAM' f**k me i didn't know what hit me. when i picked myself up all grazed and bruised i noticed he was lay in the road with his expensive racer in bits and his wheels bent in two.

Anyway this t*** starts giving me a load of verbal, 'what are you gonna do about my bike'

I was that in a daze i didn't really say anything at the time.
Luckily for me this was witnessed by absolutely loads of people at a bus stop, one of whom came forward and had a pop at him, apparently he'd jumped a red light which put a whole different persective on it.

Needless to say i told him to f*** right off.

Apart from a cut elbow and bruising i was ok - got knows what would have happened if he had hit a little old lady or some kid instead of a seventeen stone grunt like me.
Old 09 July 2008, 01:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Although the article states she struck her head "on the pavement". Now I am pretty sure in the UK anything referencing pavement is not a road (Although roads are sometimes refered to being "paved") and the domain of pedestrians.
But this bit

Originally Posted by BBC
It was unclear in court as to whether she was still in the road or on the pavement when the collision happened.
Suggests it is not clear.
Old 09 July 2008, 01:41 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Apparently he is a cocksure and uncooperative individual and was not prepared to steer away from the pedestrians because he felt too important.

Les
Certain cyclists do my head in, they wear lycra shorts, they wear stupid sunglasses (you know, the ones BMW drivers wear too, they are geeky nerds generally ........... your 'average' cyclist is fine - it's the **** fanatics which are the issue.

They look like this:-

http://www.sleepmonsters.com.au/imag...0224221652.jpg

Whilst walking on a footpath last summer a cyclist like this came racing up behind me (I didn't know he was there) .... rather than be pleasant and slow down he yelled "Out my way!!" - I jumped out the way ..... as he passed he shouted backwards "Wash your ears out!" well ....

I legged it after him, shouted him to get back and repeat what he said ..... he didn't of course (being the spineless weasel he was!). Had I caught him he would have been having bits of Mountain bike removed from his 4rsehole for weeks!!

I propose that cyclists pay road tax - I pay for the road they are taking up and I don't want to! They should have Insurance and should take a test.
Old 09 July 2008, 01:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They should certainly be made to keep to the laws which are clear enough too.

Les
Old 09 July 2008, 01:57 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

I propose that cyclists pay road tax - I pay for the road they are taking up and I don't want to! They should have Insurance and should take a test.
Many do

Has it never crossed your mind that 'some' cyclists DO pay road tax but even I struggle to ride my bike and drive my car at the same time (my Legacy with it's £210 tax disk, sits in the garage day to day whilst I commute to work on my bike)

Currently insured with this lot

Public liability and third party liability insurance for cyclists

Agree that many should take a test but personally think my drivers license (clean for 21yrs) gives me enough road sense to be on a bike.

Anyway, back on topic, sounds very difficult to decipher what happened from news reports only.

Truly sad about the girl
Old 09 July 2008, 02:41 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SiPie
Many do

Has it never crossed your mind that 'some' cyclists DO pay road tax but even I struggle to ride my bike and drive my car at the same time (my Legacy with it's £210 tax disk, sits in the garage day to day whilst I commute to work on my bike)

Currently insured with this lot

Public liability and third party liability insurance for cyclists

Agree that many should take a test but personally think my drivers license (clean for 21yrs) gives me enough road sense to be on a bike.

Anyway, back on topic, sounds very difficult to decipher what happened from news reports only.

Truly sad about the girl
Bit of a one sided thread this, many a time I've nearly been had off my bike by a pedastran not looking before leaving the pavement. As above, impossible to comment on the right or wrong of the punishment because there is no definative statment as to where the impact occurred. The only statement you can make is it's sad the young girl died.
Old 09 July 2008, 03:10 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
The only statement you can make is it's sad the young girl died.
Precisely, there was clearly not enought evidence to convict the cyclist for any other offence. And whilst it is a tragedy that the Girl dies, it is important to remember, that the cyclist, is not guilty of anything other than being careless.
Old 09 July 2008, 03:26 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Its unreasonable to expect cyclists to pay tax and insurance don't you think? In anycase how would it ever be enforced? From what I gathered from the paper I read the guy was riding on the pavement. Don't get me wrong some cyclists are a pain in the *** aswell as dangerous but the majority are safe and responsible enough. Now people riding horses on the other hand......
Old 09 July 2008, 04:26 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

How many times have you come across a bunch of teens trying to prove something wandering deliberately slowly across the road almost inviting you to run them over? I bet you thought, move because I'm not stopping, admit it, that's what you thought.

Of course we don't know the full circumstances, so it's difficult to comment either way on this.
Old 09 July 2008, 05:04 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
How many times have you come across a bunch of teens trying to prove something wandering deliberately slowly across the road almost inviting you to run them over? I bet you thought, move because I'm not stopping, admit it, that's what you thought.

Of course we don't know the full circumstances, so it's difficult to comment either way on this.

I had actually read something very similar about this very case earlier in the week, I can't remember if this group had done this to him previously. Of course the 'little angel' can't be to blame
Old 09 July 2008, 05:13 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

just because it is not clear, if the guy had enough time to shout at the girl, does that mean he has the right to kill someone, beit road or pavement?

guilty of manslaughter imho.
Old 09 July 2008, 05:23 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Certain cyclists do my head in, they wear lycra shorts, they wear stupid sunglasses (you know, the ones BMW drivers wear too, they are geeky nerds generally ........... your 'average' cyclist is fine - it's the **** fanatics which are the issue.

They look like this:-

http://www.sleepmonsters.com.au/imag...0224221652.jpg
Pete, are you a closet homo because you seem to be obsessed with ****

Whilst walking on a footpath last summer a cyclist like this came racing up behind me (I didn't know he was there) .... rather than be pleasant and slow down he yelled "Out my way!!" - I jumped out the way ..... as he passed he shouted backwards "Wash your ears out!" well ....
Not surprising really, deaf old codger like yourself, bet he'd been ringing his bell and all sorts for ages trying to get you out of his way.

I legged it after him, shouted him to get back and repeat what he said ..... he didn't of course (being the spineless weasel he was!). Had I caught him he would have been having bits of Mountain bike removed from his 4rsehole for weeks!!
Bet he had a good laugh with his mates down the pub about that one.

"There I was riding along today, came up on this deaf old git who didn't hear me coming despite repeated attempts, and failed to get out of my way so I politely requested that he move though I did have to shout for fear that he wouldn't hear me. So I rode past and exchanged some witty banter that he might want to consider getting his ears syringed or words to that effect when all of a sudden he starts threatening me and trying desperately to run after me. It was pointless though, the old duffer was fat, wobbly on his feet, and would never have caught up. Even if he'd managed it I've no idea what he was intending, as if I was bothered about being threatened by an 80 odd year old bloke, what's he going to do, bash me with his walking stick? Throw Werthers Originals at me? Anyway I rode off pissing myself about the old duffers threats, really made my ride"

They should also retest drivers over the age of seventy and make them pay extra road tax for driving too slowly and hogging the road
Old 09 July 2008, 05:35 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The article neglects to mention that she was part of a whole gang of drunken chavs that were acting in a rowdy manner and obstructing the road which was why he took to the pavement in the first place (so I read elsewhere)
Old 09 July 2008, 06:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i never even knew you could be done for dangerous cycling
Old 09 July 2008, 06:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i never even knew you could be done for dangerous cycling
Never heard of that charge myself, but it is amusing, not the girl dying, I mean the name of the charge, makes me thinks of a couple of bikers drag racing each other on the pavement

I recall the charge of "drunk and disorderly whilst in charge of a bicycle", or words to that effect being mentioned one night when I rode into the neighbors hedge after a few too many ales
Old 09 July 2008, 06:22 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChefDude
just because it is not clear, if the guy had enough time to shout at the girl, does that mean he has the right to kill someone, beit road or pavement?

guilty of manslaughter imho.
perhaps he had just come round a corner only to be presented with an obstacle, in this case a young girl and shouted as a reaction...without all the facts it's impossible to reach an impartial decision.

stupid post IMHO
Old 09 July 2008, 06:35 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

In view of all the laws this lot have created for all manner of trivial issues, I still cannot understand why it is not mandatory for cyclists to have insurance against third party liabilities. This could be personal insurance for the individual that covers them as a pedestrian, runner, cyclist etc (logical to me as the administration would be much simpler) or a cyclist's policy. Somebody who ignores traffic lights, rides at night without lights, rides on the pavement etc should be prevented from riding a cycle. I don't see why the punishments shouldn't operate in much the same way as those for a motor vehicle (what would everyone think if I regularly mounted the pavement in my car when it suited me?). Although the parents will never get their daughter back, at least a claim against Norwich Union or the like might give some sense of justice and result in a culture where riding a cycle is treated more responsibly (or the cycle not ridden at all by those uninsurable as a result of repeat bad behaviour). I appreciate cyclists who don't stop are difficult to identify but something needs to be done.
Kevin
Old 09 July 2008, 06:46 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
I don't see why the punishments shouldn't operate in much the same way as those for a motor vehicle (what would everyone think if I regularly mounted the pavement in my car when it suited me?)
because its a push bike, a far less lethal weapon than a bl00dy car on the pavement...infract away if you wish Kevin, but that IMHO is a stupid statement to make
Old 09 July 2008, 06:59 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by c_maguire
I don't see why the punishments shouldn't operate in much the same way as those for a motor vehicle (what would everyone think if I regularly mounted the pavement in my car when it suited me?).
Plus, many of the cycle routes actually take you ONTO the pavement.
Old 09 July 2008, 07:00 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
The article neglects to mention that she was part of a whole gang of drunken chavs that were acting in a rowdy manner and obstructing the road which was why he took to the pavement in the first place (so I read elsewhere)
Indeed. The reporting of this is very one sided. There are very few facts about the whole situation. It has been said that the guy has been unhelpful with the police however the only facts that have been given (other than those gleaned from CCTV) are by the guilty man. The friends of the girl were vague.
Would this be reported in a similar fashion if the cyclist had been knocked off and killed?

From another forum I visit:

first off, i haven't read this thread in it's entirety, so apologies if i double up on anything else said. And, if i'm honest - i'd probably be angered at some of the comments.

i live in the town this happened, know Jason, and used to work on his bike when i worked in the local shop. I also happen to know friends of the girl that tragically died. I heard of the accident moments after it occured from people that witnessed it!

What the reports fail to mention, is that she was the one playing "chicken" and actually made the move into his path at the last minute.

Sh*t happens. Possibly, you could say there were two people at fault here, one paid the ultimate price. This was an accident with massive consequences. Sending the poor guy down isn't actually going to ease Rhiannon's familys loss!
Old 09 July 2008, 07:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

manslaughter as far as i can see ..!
Old 09 July 2008, 07:05 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
Indeed. The reporting of this is very one sided. There are very few facts about the whole situation. It has been said that the guy has been unhelpful with the police however the only facts that have been given (other than those gleaned from CCTV) are by the guilty man. The friends of the girl were vague.
Would this be reported in a similar fashion if the cyclist had been knocked off and killed?

From another forum I visit:

first off, i haven't read this thread in it's entirety, so apologies if i double up on anything else said. And, if i'm honest - i'd probably be angered at some of the comments.

i live in the town this happened, know Jason, and used to work on his bike when i worked in the local shop. I also happen to know friends of the girl that tragically died. I heard of the accident moments after it occured from people that witnessed it!

What the reports fail to mention, is that she was the one playing "chicken" and actually made the move into his path at the last minute.

Sh*t happens. Possibly, you could say there were two people at fault here, one paid the ultimate price. This was an accident with massive consequences. Sending the poor guy down isn't actually going to ease Rhiannon's familys loss!
both sides, thank you PG
Old 09 July 2008, 07:06 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Plus, many of the cycle routes actually take you ONTO the pavement.
the only time that should happen is when the footpath is split into foot and cycle paths or there will be a sign to dismount.
Old 09 July 2008, 07:10 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by trails
the only time that should happen is when the footpath is split into foot and cycle paths or there will be a sign to dismount.
I can immediately think of several places near where I work where this is not the case.

What you actually see is the painted signs (on the path) indicating cycles and pedestrians share the pavement.

Besides this has been argued before on here - the point of the thread is about the unfortunate death of a girl, who it now appears was at least partially responsible for the tragic events
Old 09 July 2008, 07:14 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I can immediately think of several places near where I work where this is not the case.

What you actually see is the painted signs (on the path) indicating cycles and pedestrians share the pavement.

Besides this has been argued before on here - the point of the thread is about the unfortunate death of a girl, who it now appears was at least partially responsible for the tragic events
in that case the council are at fault...the thread is certainly about the untimely death of a young girl who was interacting with a cyclist. You'd have to ask the OP what point he was making though.

Quick Reply: Cyclist handed 'laughable fine' after girl's death