Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A Flying Object

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2008, 11:20 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Flying Object

About 2 weeks ago during the hot spell I was working in the garden and had just sat down for a cuppa with the Mrs, the sky was blue with no clouds when she said to me to look at this flying thing in the sky. It was about the same height that planes fly over our house approx 30,000 feet and which would be traveling at about 600mph, this thing left no trail, I could see no wings on it, it looked circular to me but the speed it was going compared to a plane it was at least double or maybe more. All I said to her was that it was going very fast.
But today it has been on all our local news that others have seen this around the same time including experianced helicopter crew
BBC NEWS | Wales | UFO spotted by police helicopter
I am very open minded and what I have described is the truth but on some of the news programes tonight they had it on at the end and treated it like some kind of joke.
Old 21 June 2008, 01:49 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by All Torque
About 2 weeks ago during the hot spell I was working in the garden and had just sat down for a cuppa with the Mrs, the sky was blue with no clouds when she said to me to look at this flying thing in the sky. It was about the same height that planes fly over our house approx 30,000 feet and which would be traveling at about 600mph, this thing left no trail, I could see no wings on it, it looked circular to me but the speed it was going compared to a plane it was at least double or maybe more. All I said to her was that it was going very fast.
But today it has been on all our local news that others have seen this around the same time including experianced helicopter crew
BBC NEWS | Wales | UFO spotted by police helicopter
I am very open minded and what I have described is the truth but on some of the news programes tonight they had it on at the end and treated it like some kind of joke.

Project "Blue Book" has investigated your claim and found it to be false, for inconsistancies with your story.

Originally Posted by All Torque
I was working in the garden and had just sat down for a cuppa with the Mrs, the sky was blue with no clouds
However Quote" The police Eurocopter, an EC135T21, was hovering in the sky at 0040 BST above the base, waiting to land" Unquote

at 0040 the skies would have been black, not blue.

Case closed

ok you got to admit
SPOOKY!!!!!

Mart
Old 21 June 2008, 01:55 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Replace cuppa with 3 bottles of wine and it makes more sense

No abductions though, so that must be positive
Old 21 June 2008, 09:22 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

its close to raf st athan, isnt it a possibility they were doing some tests on a secret new supersonic fighter jet? they are unlikely to accept it was them if it was.
Old 21 June 2008, 09:54 AM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

George Withrington, of St Mellons, said he reported the sighting to police and was given an incident number.
Have some ppl nothing better to do...pmsl...

Probably something to do with the US testing something over Europe, wouldn't suprise me.

Last edited by JimmyBFC; 21 June 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 21 June 2008, 11:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Having seen a few unusual things in my time, I would not say one way or the other.

Les
Old 21 June 2008, 11:34 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

come on les tell us the stories

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2008, 02:41 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Oh sorry for missing out some of the details it was late afternoon and it was either Friday the 6th or Sat the 7th. The helicopter crew saw it, thats of course if it was the same thing I saw on Sunday the 8th.
Old 21 June 2008, 03:06 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shall we all go and meet up by the Bristol channel,and see if we can attract them,with our flashlight's..I will bring the Grolsch just in case..

That report did not mention,that the copper chopper could not pick up the object on radar,or on their infared.But was visible to the Naked Eye..
Old 22 June 2008, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
come on les tell us the stories
When I was doing my flying training in Canada I was night flying with an instructor just north of Winnipeg. We saw a light moving around in the distance, about a mile or so away but it was moving fast in straight lines and changing direction instantly by 90 degrees. My instructor got the "*******" and he flew us back to base!

Another one was when I was "duty pilot" one evening in the control tower at RRE Pershore. Just as I arrived the controller was looking a bit green around the gills! He explaned that he had just seen(broad daylight) a silver cigar shaped object flying around from the control tower at about 2000 feet. It was very fast and it too was changing direction instantly by 90 degrees or so. The radar controller downstairs also saw it on his screen and measured its speed at 1500 mph plus. I was really fed up that I missed it! There was no doubt that they had seen something by the looks on their faces. They reported it officially and were told later that it was probably a piece of satellite which had re-entered the atmosphere! This was a standard reply which was often given by the authorities!

I was once returning to Germany in a Canberra after a night low level trip along the South coast beating up all the seaside piers. That used to sort out the people dancing on the piers. We were at about 20K feet over the top of a flat sheet of cirrus cloud. I suddenly noticed a bright silvery inverted saucer shaped object near the cloud some distance in front! I told my navigator who moved forward to the perspex nose cone and said that he did not like the look of it either. We watched it for a while and it stayed where it was. We began to chicken out and I started to turn back towards England. As I turned we both saw it at a different angle and then realised it was the moon rising above the level of the flat layer of cirrus cloud! We never told anyone else on the Squadron about that one .

Nothing like a bit of imagination.

Les
Old 22 June 2008, 02:07 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Video LiveLeak.com - UK Police Helicopter captures 'UFO' on film
Old 24 June 2008, 07:37 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
its close to raf st athan, isnt it a possibility they were doing some tests on a secret new supersonic fighter jet? they are unlikely to accept it was them if it was.
It wasn't the RAF mate! I'm off to wind up the Police Helicopter crew now!!!
Old 25 June 2008, 08:28 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

But three-man crew could not capture any images before the object vanished over the Bristol Channel on 8 June.
yeah, i bet they can photograph an out of date road tax disc from 30,000 ft though!!! - as said, prolly a test plane of some sort ...

makes you think though.... ?
Old 25 June 2008, 11:44 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

When you look at the science of it, the likelyhood of anyone ever having actually seen an alien craft is as near to zero as makes no oods.

Occams Razor was never more applicable than when dealing with UFOs
Old 25 June 2008, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
When you look at the science of it, the likelyhood of anyone ever having actually seen an alien craft is as near to zero as makes no oods.

Occams Razor was never more applicable than when dealing with UFOs
I have to say that I cannot agree with that statement, we just do not know enough to be able to prove it one way or the other.

Les
Old 25 June 2008, 12:13 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I have to say that I cannot agree with that statement, we just do not know enough to be able to prove it one way or the other.

Les
Well we know that the likelhood of being on a planet that supports complex life is astronomically speaking, very very slim (You need the right type of star, the right size moon, the right kind of solar system, you need to be the right distance from the sun etc etc)
We know that the nearest earth life planet capable of supporting complex life is 200,000 light years away.
As far as our knowledge of physics goes, anything on a macro scale cannot go faster than the speed of light.
This means, that an alien, would have had to travelled for 200,000 years, in exactly the right direction to arrive at Earth. (the likely hood of "accidentally" coming scorss Earth is such a huge number as to be ridiculous)

(Of course he would have no idea that the Earth was advanced at this point, because assuming he looked at Earth though his big telescope before he set off, he would have been looking at Earth 200,000 years ago - I.e. a lot of cavemen)
Old 25 June 2008, 12:48 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I am quite open to ideas that we are not alone.

However most of the work that has been done that Pete has mentions only works for carbon based life forms. Whats to say other life forms are silicon based or any other element for that matter.

Whilst the prog was pure fiction, Babylon 5 didn't limit its aliens to be air breathers, you had Sulphur and Methane breathers too.

Think about it, we cannot be the only lifeform in existance in the infinty of space.
Old 25 June 2008, 12:59 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Yes but the trouble is is very hard to create the complex molecules required for life without using carbon.
Old 25 June 2008, 01:10 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andys
Yes but the trouble is is very hard to create the complex molecules required for life without using carbon.
Maybe, but that's assuming that the requirements for life as we currently understand are universal.

Yes, the chances of life on planets any particular star might be slim, but in an infinite universe that could still leave a large number of planets able to support life.
Old 25 June 2008, 01:14 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
We know that the nearest earth life planet capable of supporting complex life is 200,000 light years away.
Which planet is that then? As far as I know, we can not detect earth size planets at the closest stars (4+ LY) let alone 200,000...
Old 25 June 2008, 01:54 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

It also assumes the the laws of Physics, Chemistry and Biology are consistent across the Universe.
Old 25 June 2008, 03:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Think about it, we cannot be the only lifeform in existance in the infinty of space.
Why not?

Space is not inifinite, just very very large.

For life to exist as we know it, there has to a be a myriad of criteria satisfied. Not just for life to exist, but to flourish. All around us life exists because it can.

Now, it could be , that in the expanses of the universe, there are billions of "failed" earths. We just happen to be the one that got the jigsaw together and in the right order.

It could be that this is the billionth attempt at a universe and this is the the on that got it right.

It could be, that in order for life on Earth to exist, the whole universe has to exist.

Originally Posted by Nimbus
Which planet is that then? As far as I know, we can not detect earth size planets at the closest stars (4+ LY) let alone 200,000...
There was a "Super Earth" (7 times as massive as the earth, similar distance from a similar star discovered in 2006. (unlikely to have any intellgent life on it though as it is an icy planet (The name of it escapes me)..

Of course, to be "earth like" is quite a broad deifnition.
Old 25 June 2008, 03:33 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
How do you come to that conclusion? Define the edge and then what lies beyond that edge because where something finishes something else has to exist to define that boundary.

The only way there could be an end to space is if something different to space then existed beyond it.
I think we've discussed this one already in this thread... https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/626802-theyre-worried-about-global-warming-fools.html

You can have a finite space with no boundary. Think of the surface of a ball.

Regarding the earth-like planets out side the solar system. Planets this size are very difficult to detect as they are quite small and the light from the parent star tends to wash out any light from the planet. A planet 1.5 times the size of earth was detected around a star only 20LY from earth, which is on the edge of it's inhabitable zone. I think as detection equipment becomes more sensitive we will find not only planets capable of supporting life, but actually show signs that they do.

Last edited by Nimbus; 25 June 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 25 June 2008, 03:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
How do you come to that conclusion? Define the edge and then what lies beyond that edge because where something finishes something else has to exist to define that boundary.

The only way there could be an end to space is if something different to space then existed beyond it.

The universe is 13.7 billion years old. Current theory is that it began at a single point (big bang theory) and has been expanding ever since (indeed the rate of expansion is how you "age" the universe).

There is nothing outside it, there is no space for it to fill because nothing exists outside it.

As Nimbus says, imagine a ball.

Put it this way, imagine you were from a 2 dimensional existance. And you started in London, and you walked and carried on walking. Imagine how confused you would be, when after a yea ror so of walking, you ended up back in London...

Thae same applies in space, except in a number of dimensions beyond the 3 we know. In essence, if you left earth, and travelled fro long enough, you would wind up back at earth.
Old 25 June 2008, 04:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

It wouldn't surprise me to find out there is other life out there, in fact with the very large numbers involved, I'd be amazed if there wasn't. On the otherhand the chances of us ever encountering that life face to face is vanishingly small. I suspect that any life we discover will be by probe and many thousands of years after we launch it.

Quick Reply: A Flying Object