Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Good news. Saudi's up oil production by 200k barrels a day.

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2008, 06:48 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news. Saudi's up oil production by 200k barrels a day.

So why has the price of a barrel hit another all time high?

BBC NEWS | Business | Oil at record near $140 a barrel
Old 16 June 2008, 06:55 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

It takes one nanosecond for the price to go up.....

and yet weeks for it to come back down..............
Old 16 June 2008, 06:55 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

...........because as I've repeatedly explained on this forum the current oil prices have nothing whatsoever to do with supply. However as most people seem to have difficulty understanding I won't bother explaining why YET AGAIN.
Old 16 June 2008, 06:57 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by NACRO
...........because as I've repeatedly explained on this forum the current oil prices have nothing whatsoever to do with supply. However as most people seem to have difficulty understanding I won't bother explaining why YET AGAIN.

Old 16 June 2008, 06:59 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

NACRO, when countless oil industry experts are talking about the "oil supply problem" it's a bit hard to accept the ramblings of a keyboard warrior, however well spoken he is.

So thanks for not explaining it all to us again.
Old 16 June 2008, 07:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Excellent! A finite resource will run out faster now and we can all bury our heads in the sand again
Old 16 June 2008, 07:12 PM
T1000
Scooby Regular

There is one good thing about petrol prices increasing more! It will encourage some people to sell their gas guzzlers and buy tiny frugal cars - This will then mean that our fuel supply won't run out as quick

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2008, 07:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by FlightMan
NACRO, when countless oil industry experts are talking about the "oil supply problem" it's a bit hard to accept the ramblings of a keyboard warrior, however well spoken he is.

So thanks for not explaining it all to us again.
They aren't necessarily telling you the truth though are they? Maybe, just maybe they have a vested interest in spinning the story one way rather than another.

Why not try doing some reading on the subject instead of just bleating nonsense about it?
Old 16 June 2008, 07:39 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Excellent! A finite resource will run out faster now and we can all bury our heads in the sand again
There are enough known oil fields to see out the lives of everyone who posts on this forum and at current/higher rates of consumption.

Let alone all the others that aren't exploited for mostly political reasons.

Any head burying will likely be done by your children's children and by then we'll have moved on to basing social/political control around another resource. Most likely information in my oh-so humble opinion.
Old 16 June 2008, 07:46 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Any head burying will likely be done by your children's children.....
Are you planning on having children yourself?

It's just that if you are then I'd just like to warn people.....
Old 16 June 2008, 07:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by David Lock
Are you planning on having children yourself?

It's just that if you are then I'd just like to warn people.....
No worries on that count ATM , I despise the vile, feral, poorly educated, ill behaved, ugly and fat children I tend to see running around in countries like the UK.

That said there are some Alpha couples I know bringing up well behaved, strong, fit and intelligent children that I have a great deal of respect for so I guess never say never applies.
Old 16 June 2008, 07:55 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

NACRO, Alpha man! Tremble in his wake people.
Old 16 June 2008, 08:09 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

There are enough known oil fields to see out the lives of everyone who posts on this forum and at current/higher rates of consumption.

Let alone all the others that aren't exploited for mostly political reasons.

Any head burying will likely be done by your children's children and by then we'll have moved on to basing social/political control around another resource. Most likely information in my oh-so humble opinion.
Yes if you believe what you've been told. Wasn't there a scandal a few years back with Shell over estimating their untapped reserves? Also, there may well be enough oil about to be used by my grandchildren, but I'd imagine it'd be a good deal more expensive per barrel than it is today (real terms).
Old 16 June 2008, 08:16 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Yes if you believe what you've been told. Wasn't there a scandal a few years back with Shell over estimating their untapped reserves? Also, there may well be enough oil about to be used by my grandchildren, but I'd imagine it'd be a good deal more expensive per barrel than it is today (real terms).
I work in the E&P industry and have a better than average idea of what's going on.
You're correct about what was exposed regarding Shell's bookings a few years ago however that's really only relating to a portion of total reserves (around 25 percent at the time) and my comments are based on what I understand to be the situation in 2008. As for the price of oil in generations to come that is of course an unknown. My take on the situtation is that paradigm shifts in culture will mean oil is less important and information more so as I alluded to in my previous post.

Regarding my Alpha status, I'm a very keen elitist and am therefore glad not to be an epsilon drone like so many others.
Old 16 June 2008, 08:27 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Quite so. However, the indicators don't paint a rosy future. It's been said we've past peak oil, bourne out by an extent at the state of mature fields and the vast slowdown in finding new 'large' fields.

In any case, one day there will be serious depletion of the resource. Turning on the taps to try to lower the price for short term greed is not really the solution.
Old 16 June 2008, 08:28 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Anyway, real alpha males watch football, ciao
Old 16 June 2008, 08:41 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Real alpha males can multitask particularly if they are watching a lackluster German side being held by Austria..........
Old 16 June 2008, 08:42 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

at well over $100/bbl, the price is easily high enough to make coal gasification viable, (second highest deposts of coal in the world?- continental US) as well as Canadian oil shales. These two sources combined will meet current AND future demand for HUNDREDS of years. To say we are running out of energy right now is a myth. So I guess unfortunately I am agreeing with that arrogant elitist nutter
Old 16 June 2008, 08:45 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Quite so. However, the indicators don't paint a rosy future. It's been said we've past peak oil, bourne out by an extent at the state of mature fields and the vast slowdown in finding new 'large' fields.

In any case, one day there will be serious depletion of the resource. Turning on the taps to try to lower the price for short term greed is not really the solution.
You're quite correct saying the resource is finite. However I disagree that increasing production by the amounts we are seeing makes any real difference to reserves.

I'd also ask you to consider the fact that we may well be past 'peak oil' as it's currently defined but I'm confident there is still a lot more in the ground than we've taken out.

Let's consider all the fields the Americans are keeping to themselves while buying everyone else's oil. That's just scratching the surface........
Old 16 June 2008, 08:47 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Originally Posted by warrenm2
So I guess unfortunately I am agreeing with that arrogant elitist nutter
I'm not a nutter, I'm a realist. I'd agree with the rest of your comments however.

We won't even get onto the subject of tar sands, it's beyond the capabilities of many here to even consider.
Old 16 June 2008, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a nutter, I'm a realist. I'd agree with the rest of your comments however.

We won't even get onto the subject of tar sands, it's beyond the capabilities of many here to even consider.
Oily Sand, even I get that
Old 16 June 2008, 09:19 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Oily Sand, even I get that
What! Have Exxon last another tanker?

Oh I get it, he's talking about the Athabasca tar fields in Canada, amongst others.

Yes, he's right, as someone who spent 12 years working at the Fawley oil rifinery and Esso's head office in Leatherhead, I'd know nothing about that.

Chalk up another "victory" to Alpha man!
Old 16 June 2008, 09:28 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Real alpha males can multitask particularly if they are watching a lackluster German side being held by Austria..........
More like feckin MOONBASE Alpha....... you're starting to sound all "metrosexual" are you ironing?
Old 16 June 2008, 09:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I work for a company big in services to the Oil Industry, I pick bits up.
Old 16 June 2008, 09:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

What! Have Exxon last another tanker?

Oh I get it, he's talking about the Athabasca tar fields in Canada, amongst others.

Yes, he's right, as someone who spent 12 years working at the Fawley oil rifinery and Esso's head office in Leatherhead, I'd know nothing about that.

Chalk up another "victory" to Alpha man!
Out of date and obviously rather limited knowledge gained in your job at a refinery and a parochial office obviously hasn't given you much of an idea about the current spike in oil prices otherwise you wouldn't have started such a crass and ill informed thread wondering about what has produced it.
Old 16 June 2008, 09:30 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I work for a company big in services to the Oil Industry, I pick bits up.
Drill bits?
Old 16 June 2008, 09:35 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Out of date and obviously rather limited knowledge gained in your job at a refinery and a parochial office obviously hasn't given you much of an idea about the current spike in oil prices otherwise you wouldn't have started such a crass and ill informed thread wondering about what has produced it.
I just like bringing you out of your hidey hole NACCERS!

Surely there should be a , in there somewhere?
Old 16 June 2008, 09:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Drill bits?

NACRO, see if you can go a whole day without saying Parochial, we don't all have a piece of straw in the corner of our mouths, does Parochial just mean Not London ?
Old 16 June 2008, 09:53 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

and Esso's head office in Leatherhead
Its actually Ashtead, and literally "round the corner" from me
Old 16 June 2008, 09:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

No worries on that count ATM , I despise the vile, feral, poorly educated, ill behaved, ugly and fat children I tend to see running around in countries like the UK.

That said there are some Alpha couples I know bringing up well behaved, strong, fit and intelligent children that I have a great deal of respect for so I guess never say never applies.

Quick Reply: Good news. Saudi's up oil production by 200k barrels a day.