House Burglar Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2008, 11:01 AM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Burglar Alarm

Hello Snetters,

I am in need of some form of burglar alarm for our house, but have no idea where to start. I see prices from £100 up to £000's, linked to private security firms, linked to police, linked to nothing.

I am after some comments please, if you have one installed, costs, set-up, effectiveness, etc.

TIA.
Old 14 June 2008, 12:46 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I've got one of these and its pretty good. All wireless and I bought mine from ebay. There is a seller on there who does great deals on them with accessories.

BT.com | Personal | BT Home Monitoring | What you get
Old 14 June 2008, 12:53 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

IMO alarms are useless, sensor lights are a better deterrant for night. Unfortunately, in this modern day world, I would suggest security bars on windows and doors. Even with this "security" I know friends who have had their houses broken in to.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:30 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Iv'e worked in the security industry for around 20 years now. We fit both wired and wireless systems.
Key things to do as a rule, speak to your local crime protection officer they can give you a list of companies who they recomend, also look for a company who is nacoss/nsi registered, these tend to be the one's your insurance company will be most happy with to. Have a look here.
National Security Inspectorate - Security Systems | Home Security | Business Security

As a general rule alarms are a massive deterrent when fitted on a domestic property, most average burglars won't even attempt a house when it's fitted with an alarm, and unfortunatley from experience security lighting and some diy cctv offers very little deterrent.
Whether you have your system linked to a monitoring station is up to you or the risk fctor of your property and it's location, alarms work well but not if your the only house for miles and no one will hear it.
Most home systems will start around £300 installed from an nsi registered company. If you want monitoring thats going to be more pricey and will probably cost you around £150 a year in servicing (which you must have done to be policed linked) and monitoring.
Diy kit from B&Q and the like is ok it's better than none, my only experience of it is to rip it out and replace it with professional stuff.

Oh and ADT might be one of the biggest but there are far better options out there for the money
Old 14 June 2008, 01:47 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by i8gtmf
Iv'e worked in the security industry for around 20 years now. We fit both wired and wireless systems.
Key things to do as a rule, speak to your local crime protection officer they can give you a list of companies who they recomend, also look for a company who is nacoss/nsi registered, these tend to be the one's your insurance company will be most happy with to. Have a look here.
National Security Inspectorate - Security Systems | Home Security | Business Security

As a general rule alarms are a massive deterrent when fitted on a domestic property, most average burglars won't even attempt a house when it's fitted with an alarm, and unfortunatley from experience security lighting and some diy cctv offers very little deterrent.
Whether you have your system linked to a monitoring station is up to you or the risk fctor of your property and it's location, alarms work well but not if your the only house for miles and no one will hear it.
Most home systems will start around £300 installed from an nsi registered company. If you want monitoring thats going to be more pricey and will probably cost you around £150 a year in servicing (which you must have done to be policed linked) and monitoring.
Diy kit from B&Q and the like is ok it's better than none, my only experience of it is to rip it out and replace it with professional stuff.

Oh and ADT might be one of the biggest but there are far better options out there for the money
Experience BEGS to differ!
Old 14 June 2008, 02:00 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
Experience BEGS to differ!

I'm off to quit my job and remove my alarm then

There will always be cases of people getting burgled with alarms, as i said depends on your enviroment and it's risk.
I can think of less than a handfull of our customers in 20 years who have had break in or an attempted break in once they had an alarm fitted to a domestic property, and most of those weren't your average property i'm talking Lambo's on the drive, and 10 bedroom footballer type houses.
Contrary to what some people think mr burglar doesn't always come at 2 in the morning for the most part mid afternoon tends to be a favourite and if you have patio/french doors make sure you have plenty of locks etc at they are the burglars entry point of choice.

Trending Topics

Old 14 June 2008, 06:15 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

What I would do, get a system fitted '£300' sounds about right and I would also get a SD1 fitted might cost about £150 on top but this unit would dial any phone numbers you put into it. So if alarm activates you can get it to ring you on the mobile, if you dont answer your phone it will ring the next number that has been programme into the unit......

Johnny
Old 14 June 2008, 09:48 PM
L33_WRX
Scooby Regular

I fitted a wired system I bought from Maplins. Neat bit of kit and it also has an autodialler function so you can program it to call you if the alarm is triggered
Old 15 June 2008, 10:15 AM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Cheers peeps, they actually came in broad daylight by smashing the kitchen window (double glazed), it's at the back of the house, overlooked by flats at the back and a 4 storey office block on the right.

I know this is all like bolting the door after the horse has gone, but the ***** turned the place over, plus my wife is having a hard time with it.

Thanks for all the advice, good stuff.
Old 15 June 2008, 11:30 AM
PetesDad
BANNED

Big Dog.

Powerful Halogen Lights linked to Sensors.

And an empty alarm box in a very visible position - a flashing LED on it works - replace battery every year.

Look at your neighbours house - make yours a bit more risky to attack and you have it sorted. The Opportunist is all you are looking to keep out.
Old 15 June 2008, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I got an alarm fitted which will ring up the police if the house is broken into. The cost of the alarm was not as much as I expected but I do have to have it inspected twice a year. The police require this to prevent false callouts. The police are required to attend an alert in quick time.

It is well worth having these days i think, especially if you are away for a while at times. It also has a button which you can press in case of attack.

Les
Old 17 June 2008, 04:53 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Point taken. Obviously in my expereince, only night time break ins, that's why lights worked for me rather than alarms.
Old 17 June 2008, 05:28 AM
Alarmeng
Scooby Regular

Morning peeps

Just my pennies worth (22 yrs) id def stay away from "cheap" wireless systems as they tend to be more trouble that they are worth.

Get a decent wired system any day,much better.

SD1's are ok,best deterent is get an ADT bell box from fleabay as this a massive deterent as cough (we) dont usually do bells only systems.

If you do decide to go down the wired route and you feel competent enough tto have a bash im sure you will get enough advise on here.

regards

Gaz