warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F*****G BRILLIANT!
Old 13 June 2008, 06:23 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Not really a big surprise. The Irish have done very, very well out of the EU up to now without signing anything like this so I would say your average Irishman would probably feel he's got nothing to gain but MIGHT have something to lose by signing it. So no deal.
What the treaty (constitution?) contains is pretty much irrelevant (it could be a recipe for Granny's shepherd's pie) as the whole vote is symbolic only.
The public mostly don't know what they're voting for, but what they do know is that they just don't trust politicians and are fearful of losing yet more of their cultural identity.
Beyond trade agreements and the Euro, is there really any need for any of the crap that goes on in the Euro parliament?
Kevin
Old 13 June 2008, 08:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Thats 3 strikes,

its finished, over, gone.

Now will mcbottle finally wake up and smell the roses,

the tide is turning, the days of nulabia are OVER!!

mart

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2008, 09:01 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Shameful that they were the only country to hold a vote for the latest version.

What's the game plan for this crappy treaty, an open door for a United States of Europe?

Getting fed up of hearing 'elected representitives' telling us how great it all is when hardly anyone including themselves have read the thick incomprehensible tome.

After this no along with the other no's in other referendums these idiots persist with this constitution.
Old 13 June 2008, 09:33 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

It'll be back again, somehow, someway. Mark my words....
Old 13 June 2008, 09:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Shameful that they were the only country to hold a vote for the latest version.
The only reason that they held a refererendum is that their constitution says that they have to have one

Lesson to be learned their methinks...
Old 13 June 2008, 09:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Yes, I know that was the reason they had to have one. I'm on the Irish electoral roll, but was back from Ireland on Wed so missed out on the vote.

The thing is other countries could've issued referendums if they chose, but no, they chose to ratify the treaty without any imput from the electorate. Shameful.
Old 13 June 2008, 10:01 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that bearing in mind this monster has been around in one form or another for some time now, that no political party or independent body has sat down and summarised it in bullet-point fashion so that the general public could appreciate the fundamentals in plain English.

The whole argument has just become a nonsense exchange between waffling and bull****ting politicians who ultimately just bore everybody into a zombie like state where they just want to end it all. I am certainly not going to sit down and read some 200 page lawyer-speak pile of self-indulgent garbage and I expect very few others will either. Our politicians are supposed to be here to serve the interests of the country, which generally translates to the interests of the significant majority. So whether they are obliged to give us a referendum or not, if they had any decency in them they would WANT to help us understand why they feel we should sign up.
I'm still waiting.......

Kevin
Old 13 June 2008, 10:22 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Our politicians are supposed to be here to serve the interests of the country.....if they had any decency in them .......

Kevin
Old 13 June 2008, 11:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the point of the UK ratifying the treaty if it cannot come into effect without all members agreement.

The EU leaders obviously do not trust the people to make the "right" decision after France and Holland voted no last time. Hence why none of the 26 EU states offered their their citizens a referendum this time around
Old 13 June 2008, 11:34 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Complete f&ck!ng Richard Cranium!
Richard Cranium, brilliant gotta be using that.
Old 13 June 2008, 11:36 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

It is one of the most bizarre political situations one can imagine - all politicians know that the EU is immensely unpopular and that pretty much every time a country gets to vote on anything to do with it, the anti-EU camp win. So, each time an issue comes up they're increasingly desperate to avoid a vote, and this time only tiny Ireland gets to have a say. The Irish are apparently one of the most pro-EU nations, and yet even they don't want the constitution (and of course the French, who do the best out of the EU, have also rejected it previously).

It makes a complete mockery of the democratic process IMO, and few issues make me angrier. If only the Conservatives would be a bit stronger on the subject, but I guess they're scared to make too much fuss given that the issue was apparently regarded as a big turn off for (mostly ignorant) voters in the past couple of elections...
Old 14 June 2008, 02:44 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes, but he above said Richard Cranium
Old 14 June 2008, 10:05 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Yes, but he above said Richard Cranium
i've been hearing that for 20 years
Old 14 June 2008, 12:04 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was a great result as far as I am concerned. I have little time for the Eu which is an immensely corrupt organisation and which cannot even get its accounts signed off by the auditors for over eleven years now! Billions of Euros have just disappeared-no one can say where!

This execrable bunch in charge of us have lied to us and broken solemn promises for what is no excuse whatsoever. A child can see through all that. I wonder what the real reason is that they want us to be owned by the Eu so badly that they will do anything to get us federated in that wholly non democratic organisation.

How can Flash and his sidekick "Millimetre" possibly say they are going to ratify a treaty (constitution) which is dead in the water. At the moment according to the Eu's own rules-it cannot be accepted now! Or are we about to see yet another broken promise or two?

I certainly hope that something changes very soon to get us out of this situation where our own politicians are hiding behing the Eu when it comes to unpopular legislation and forcing us to kow tow to laws that we just do not want and do not have recourse to stopping.

This country belongs to us, the whole people, not to this bunch of charlatans!

Les
Old 14 June 2008, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Looking at this morning's news, it appears that the rest of the EU governments are being urged to ignore the Irish vote and get on with it.

More shameful antics then. How long before they just change the rules and say it CAN be ratified if only one member votes "no"?

Alcazar
Old 14 June 2008, 12:51 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Looking at this morning's news, it appears that the rest of the EU governments are being urged to ignore the Irish vote and get on with it.

More shameful antics then. How long before they just change the rules and say it CAN be ratified if only one member votes "no"?

Alcazar
Exactly, this will just keep going in another guise, or they will fudge the rules.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage reacted furiously to a comment by Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso indicating that the treaty is not dead and other states should ratify it "What part of 'No' don't they understand?" he demanded. "This reaction shows more than even the gaping chasm that exists between the people and the politicians. They will stop at nothing to achieve their goal of a European state."

Pretty well sums it up
Old 14 June 2008, 12:55 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I hear the "EU" will "invoke" some "legal loophole" to run roughshod over the Irish.

A United States of Europe is on the way.
Old 14 June 2008, 01:06 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

The Dutch, the French and the Irish have all now voted against this constitution. IIRC we were promised a referendum at the last election by the Labour party.

If Brown had any sense he'd ditch our rubber stamping of the treaty an let us have our say on the subject.

Don't get me started on Miliband. That bloke just reminds me of an annoying sock puppet on childrens tv, with about as much brains as one.
Old 14 June 2008, 05:31 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't get me started on Miliband. That bloke just reminds me of an annoying sock puppet on childrens tv, with about as much brains as one.
I remember when he was first made a minister, something for schools.
Teachers I know referred to him as "the year 8 in a suit"

Alcazar
Old 14 June 2008, 05:47 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

is there anything we can do?
Old 14 June 2008, 07:12 PM
renno rannes
Scooby Regular

What's the game plan for this crappy treaty, an open door for a United States of Europe?
More like the old Soviet Union.
Old 14 June 2008, 07:18 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rik1471
is there anything we can do?
Place our faith in the politicans elected to represent out interests The problem is that France and Holland voted wrong last time around. So this time around our leaders decided we could not be trusted with a referendum
We just have to sit back and ride this corrupt EU rollercoaster to the end.
Old 14 June 2008, 11:05 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

According to the Dutch media, the French minister for European affairs is asking the Irish to have another vote! Jean-Pierre Jouyet. According to this particular surrender monkey, there is no other option (other than accepting and respecting the wishes of voters in a free and fair referendum, of course)

nu.nl/algemeen | Frankrijk vraagt Ierland om herstemming (article in Dutch)

Personally I'm a fan of the 'United states of Europe concept', but not if it is being sneaked in via the back door

Quick Reply: ireland reject eu treaty