Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fitness question - Increasing shoulder flexibility??????

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 05:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fitness question - Increasing shoulder flexibility??????

This is a question for all the weightlifters out there...

I'm a steel erector by day(batman by night ) and have noticed that over the last few years my shoulder flexibility has been decreasing...probably due to the abuse they get without warm-up all week.

It didnt really bother me much until now, but i've just started lifting weights again and i'm doing lateral raises with dumbells to work on my shoulders. I find these very difficult even with pretty light weights, and I think its definetly down to the stiffness/lack of flexibility in my shoulders.

Anyway, my question is - are there particular stretches I can be doing to make my shoulders more flexible? Or any other way for that matter?

Any advice will be appreciated...cheers, Alan
Old 05 June 2008, 08:16 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shoulder has to one of the bodies worst designed bodyparts, i have just recovered from a rotator cuff injury and i swear it has taken months to heal.

I'm no physio but even if you get laughed at in the gym (**** 'em) just do 10 minutes on one of those elliptical walkers as this will mobilize the shoulder a bit more and get you nicely warmed up and get the blood flowing then when you do your weights just make sure you go super light if you have to.

The shoulder is one of the most easily injured joints and can take feckin' ages to repair.

warm up and go easy - if you think you've injured work around it and let it heal.

You wouldn't jump in a Ferrari from stone cold and gun it down the m-way at 180mph - well you might but you know what i mean

sorry if i cant be more help but like i said i'm no physio.

Maybe go and have a few sessions with a physio - good 'uns are worth every penny!!!!

good luck
Old 05 June 2008, 08:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chief
The shoulder has to one of the bodies worst designed bodyparts, i have just recovered from a rotator cuff injury and i swear it has taken months to heal.

I'm no physio but even if you get laughed at in the gym (**** 'em) just do 10 minutes on one of those elliptical walkers as this will mobilize the shoulder a bit more and get you nicely warmed up and get the blood flowing then when you do your weights just make sure you go super light if you have to.

The shoulder is one of the most easily injured joints and can take feckin' ages to repair.

warm up and go easy - if you think you've injured work around it and let it heal.

You wouldn't jump in a Ferrari from stone cold and gun it down the m-way at 180mph - well you might but you know what i mean

sorry if i cant be more help but like i said i'm no physio.

Maybe go and have a few sessions with a physio - good 'uns are worth every penny!!!!

good luck
Thanks alot for that chief .

I think a physio is probably needed if i'm honest. Already been to one just over a year ago about my knees and lower back - and i'm 21...not giving my body a good start in life

Dont actually go to a gym(just use my own barbell and dumbell set at home), but will have access soon as I plan on joining a local martial arts club this weekend.

Cheers again, Alan
Old 06 June 2008, 12:46 AM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, and back squats are even worse! The problem has been improved dramatically by getting a decent trainer, that can give you exercises/routines to improve flexibility while also building muscle. for example I do split stance milirary press for back stretching/flexibility while also building muscle.

I also incorporate stretching into my routine. He also stretches the **** out of my shoulders/back before we do his routine, and it's really working!

p.s. muscletalk is a great forum and you might get more opinions on there from trainers (of course this is a great forum too )