Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Whining about fuel prices threads.

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2008, 01:42 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining about fuel prices threads.

Isn't it about time people stopped whining about the price of fuel? It's extremely boring and serves only to highlight the naive and parochial outlook of many contributors to this board.

It's simple.

The recent fuel price rises have little or nothing to do with the government. So why does every other thread seem to be about taxation levels which haven't changed for some time? The tax burden is as iniquitous now as it has been for the last decade so why the sudden focus on that?

The fact is it's a commodity which is experiencing a similar inflationary bubble as the house prices many of you relied on for your imaginary feeling of wealth before it began to turn to crap.

The rising price has everything to do with the weakness of the dollar and nothing whatsoever to do with the government that was voted in by a sizeable majority of UK citizens.

Nobody is forcing you to buy fuel for your cars so quit bitching about it. Or at least bother to inform yourselves before coming out with crass comments.

There's talk of a correlating reduction on VAT to take into account increased revenues on fuel which is the single decent piece of writing I've seen on the subject.

Last edited by NACRO; 30 May 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:46 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Or at least bother to inform yourselves before coming out with crass comments. "

Pot, kettle, black?
Old 30 May 2008, 01:47 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

First time Ive actually read a post and agreed with NARCO on a subject
Old 30 May 2008, 01:49 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Quote:
"Or at least bother to inform yourselves before coming out with crass comments. "

Pot, kettle, black?
As I work in the industry I'm unusually well informed for a contributor to scoobynet. Therefore your comment makes little or no sense to me.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:52 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Agreed....

However, it's a shame that the tone of the post is unnecessarily condescending and self righteous as per usual
Old 30 May 2008, 01:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by NACRO
The rising price has everything to do with the weakness of the dollar and nothing whatsoever to do with the government that was voted in by a sizeable majority of UK citizens.

Nobody is forcing you to buy fuel for your cars so quit bitching about it. Or at least bother to inform yourselves before coming out with crass comments.
Maybe you should educate yourself before likewise "coming out with crass comments"

Voter turnout in the last election was less than 62%. Of those that DID vote, 35.2% voted Labour.

I fail to see how just over 1/3 of less than 2/3 of the total voter population can be seen to be "the government that was voted in by a sizeable majority of UK citizens."

I now expect the "well if you didn't vote you got what you deserved" comment....
Old 30 May 2008, 01:53 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

It comes from the old saying "the pot calling the kettle black".

It basically means the pot is calling the kettle black, even though the pot is also black.

Hence the link between someone who posts up crass comments, accusing others of posting up crass comments.

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2008, 01:58 PM
Johari Window
Scooby Regular

The recent fuel price rises have little or nothing to do with the government. So why does every other thread seem to be about taxation levels which haven't changed for some time?
Is the answer not obvious? Because the cost of living is increasing and people haven't made provision for it. They have borrowed money to fund lifestyles beyond their means without considering what would happen if necessities such as fuel and energy should rise in cost.

What we see here is a typical human response to hardship for which they hold partial responsibility:

- deny all responsibility
- blame anything and everything but themselves
- look for ways to shaft someone else in order to make their own lot better

It's not pretty, but it's humanity.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Isn't it about time people stopped whining about the price of fuel? It's extremely boring and serves only to highlight the naive and parochial outlook of many contributors to this board.

It's simple.

The recent fuel price rises have little or nothing to do with the government. So why does every other thread seem to be about taxation levels which haven't changed for some time? The tax burden is as iniquitous now as it has been for the last decade so why the sudden focus on that?

The fact is it's a commodity which is experiencing a similar inflationary bubble as the house prices many of you relied on for your imaginary feeling of wealth before it began to turn to crap.

There's talk of a correlating reduction on VAT to take into account increased revenues on fuel which is the single decent piece of writing I've seen on the subject.
1) The level of Duty of fuel makes the current price rises worse.

2) The VAT we then get charge on that duty + Fuel is a p1ss take, thus pushing fuel prices even more

3) The Government could cut VAT or Duty on fuel to aid those that are struggling

4) The cost of fuel affects just about everything that you buy. If it costs more to transport raw materials, then transport products to the shops, prices of those products goes up. We pay more

5) If you are bored with these threads, stop looking at them.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

[quote=NACRO;7906877]

As I work in the industry I'm unusually well informed for a contributor to scoobynet....

/quote]

Pump attendant?

And I always assumed you worked in the Diplomatic Service
Old 30 May 2008, 02:09 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"Pump attendant?"

Old 30 May 2008, 02:15 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock
Pump attendant?
Good reply
Old 30 May 2008, 02:19 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Nacro

Thing is it doesn't just affect whingers like me on S-net does it though?

It affects the whole economy.

Public transport, food deliveries, most businesses use carriers or some form of transportation.

I have 3 suppliers call me this week telling me they are raising their prices due to the recent fuel hikes.

Ok yeah it doesn't help with oil prices but the fact remains we pay over 60p taxation per litre of fuel which is the highest in Europe.

If you are immune to rises then fair play to you but a lot if not most people on here are effected and are throroughly fed up with it being blamed soley on oil prices when we all know that deep down it aint just that.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:22 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I would have thought that someone "in the industry" would have understood all these knock on effects.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:22 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by davegtt

Originally Posted by SiPie
Agreed....

However, it's a shame that the tone of the post is unnecessarily condescending and self righteous as per usual
And banned for his troubles

Chuckles
Old 30 May 2008, 02:24 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

It wasn't me this time!
Old 30 May 2008, 02:33 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

+1 for the OP
Old 30 May 2008, 02:33 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Well it wasn't me either?

Would have liked to have continued this debate debate with Nacro.
I dont agree at all with what he says but is intitled to his opinion.

Some people may see it as trolling though.

Ah well.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:39 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Well it wasn't me. I admit hitting the Thumbs down button, but not the Infraction button.
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The trouble is, every thread he starts can basically be summed up as follows:

I'm really really rich, I don't care if anyone else is hard up, I don't expect anyone to moan about prices of anything, because I'm so rich it doesn't affect me! And if anyone goes on holiday, I've been there already but in a better room. And if anyone hires a car, I've hired a better one and your one is going to be rubbish."

You only have to look at his location really!
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Hasn't an airline gone kaput today because of fuel prices? People stranded and all that?

Who actually (excuse the pun) has got us over a barrel with these prices? Why have they doubled?
Old 30 May 2008, 02:46 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

One stupid post followed by lots of sensible replies, which I might add are a damn sight more polite too.

SiPie, summed up perfectly.

With regards to the post, YES there is a lot of "discussion" about fuel prices, but what do you expect on a MOTORING, DISCUSSION forum ! Duh!

Paul3446, too true sadly mate, too true. Sad when the best you can do it boast from behind a keyboard eh lol.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti
Hasn't an airline gone kaput today because of fuel prices? People stranded and all that?

Who actually (excuse the pun) has got us over a barrel with these prices? Why have they doubled?
I shall have to look on the news sites for that, not good news at all!
As for the prices, all about speculation sadly. People betting with your money (in a sense)
Old 30 May 2008, 02:49 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Well if he's really got all that money, he must be a really tedious person to keep going on about it and if he hasn't got all that money he must just be a sad troll.

Either way, I wouldn't want to spend too long in a pub with him!
Old 30 May 2008, 02:51 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Either way, I wouldn't want to spend too long in a pub with him!
even if he bought everything in the pub for you when it was his round?
Old 30 May 2008, 02:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy

With regards to the post, YES there is a lot of "discussion" about fuel prices, but what do you expect on a MOTORING, DISCUSSION forum ! Duh!

lots of discussion yes, every single week that i have been on this forum, and guess what, nobody has done **** all except winge about it (and sign pointless government online petitions)

no wonder people are sick of the wingers , all talk and no walk
Old 30 May 2008, 02:55 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"even if he bought everything in the pub for you when it was his round? "

Nah, I reckon he's a tight f*cker as well!
Old 30 May 2008, 02:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

The trouble is, every thread he starts can basically be summed up as follows:

I'm really really rich, I don't care if anyone else is hard up, I don't expect anyone to moan about prices of anything, because I'm so rich it doesn't affect me! And if anyone goes on holiday, I've been there already but in a better room. And if anyone hires a car, I've hired a better one and your one is going to be rubbish."

You only have to look at his location really!
He is the perfect example of a troll. He knows full well that his location information and the content of his posts will rub people the wrong way, and thus does so on purpose. Like a few others he seems to think the system is corrupt and he's being unfairly targeted, which I very much doubt is the case, it's more plausible that the majority are simply fed up of his overly superior attitude.

Wether or not he is this proclaimed wealthy person is something I doubt we'll ever know, however I find it hard to think that such a person would spend so much time posting on an internet forum, rather than being out and about in the world enjoying their alleged wealth. He/it really is a very, very strange individual indeed.
Old 30 May 2008, 02:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not again !

He does make some valid points, part of the problem is the having to listen to the whinging, I am guilty on this as well, however its a welcome diversion from moaning about the weather.

But, the problem is here, ok NACRO isnt bothred due to his financial situation, but the vast majority of us are more exposed, alot of it is just self interest, (me for example) ! but perhaps a little empathy for those less fortunate, perhaps, whatevranyon thinks, whoever they are, they are just another punter, another part of the machine and the quicker you realise thats all you are the happier you will be. Trying to convince yourself and others you are a higher form of life must be quite tiring.

As fo nobody forcing you to buy fuel, ok, maybe not directly but the knock on is enormous and reverberates through the entire economy, so we may be Naive and Parochial but money isnt going as far, for those who were struggling anyway its just more hardship, potentially poverty for some.

We cannot all be high earners, its doesnt work like that, everyone uses services, things get more expensive and guess what the people performing those services move on to try and earn more so your bins might not get emptied, wine delivered, laundry done. Its all on big society, its all integrated however much you want to distance yourself from it.

If you have something contreversial to say, pm me it and I will proof read it and rephrase it into less inflamatory terms, its a free service, plus there isnt the itchy trigger fingers pointing at me.
Old 30 May 2008, 03:04 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
lots of discussion yes, every single week that i have been on this forum, and guess what, nobody has done **** all except winge about it (and sign pointless government online petitions)

no wonder people are sick of the wingers , all talk and no walk
I'd gladly see fuel blockages. If there was one in the North East, I'd go along and join in the protest. Sadly as you righty say, we are a nation of moaners that take little or no action. More sad than that though, is that most of the population are upset against these prices rises, and are all for fuel protests..........

just as long as it doesn't disrupt them. That is what I find to be the worst.

Also the Government have made it illegal to blockade fuel refineries, and are willing to bring in the Army to get fuel out. By force is neccesary.

Lets face it, if 200 trucks and 200 hundred cars pulled up outside a refinery, locked there doors and walked off, what can the Police do? If 400 people stood by what are the Police going to do? Arrest them all?

Quick Reply: Whining about fuel prices threads.