Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why are people Scared of my dog ? (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2008, 12:01 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why are people Scared of my dog ? (pictures)

People push themselves against bushes to get out of her way, when I am hold her right at my side... girl shriek when they see her ...

One old bloke ran across the park to get his dogs just in case my vicious monster attacked them ...

Old 29 May 2008, 12:05 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

try walking a rottweiller around. its like the parting of the red sea, mostly I find it amusing now.
Old 29 May 2008, 12:05 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks a bit ruff
Old 29 May 2008, 12:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
try walking a rottweiller around. its like the parting of the red sea, mostly I find it amusing now.

I got kicked off on today in the park .. in all fairness I didn't notice the bloke coming up behind us on his bike, normally I make the dog sit when someone goes passed. She jumped up as he passed, didn't touch him and he started shouting and swearing about winding the dogs neck in

I looked at him for a bit and then walked off the other way, I could hear him shouting about it for quite a while
Old 29 May 2008, 12:09 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

She looks lovely.

It's my soft looking killer that you need to avoid.

He may look soft but he doesn't like babies, bicycles, children, cats, squirrels, the Irish fella next door, people in parked cars, dogs in parked cars, Boxers (dogs), small dogs, Staffie's, joggers, horses... the list goes on.
Old 29 May 2008, 12:10 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

here she is modeling her latest garden designs ... I have to mess the gaps to stop her digging them up again ...

Old 29 May 2008, 12:11 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

What is she like with other dogs, pimmo????? Mine is not good with other dogs, infact he is terrible.

I find blokes are really attracted to my dog, they all love him to bits. Most ask if he is ok to stroke, but the odd one takes a chance and he barks like hell

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2008, 12:11 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

people are just d1cks most of the time, i have it all the time with my staffie, its the softest dog ever but people are scared cos the run roud with there mouths open, the imigrants are the funniest as there terrified of dogs,
Old 29 May 2008, 12:12 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
She looks lovely.

It's my soft looking killer that you need to avoid.

He may look soft but he doesn't like babies, bicycles, children, cats, squirrels, the Irish fella next door, people in parked cars, dogs in parked cars, Boxers (dogs), small dogs, Staffie's, joggers, horses... the list goes on.
Doesn't like, like he wont send them a Christmas card, or doesn't like, like he's going to eat them
Old 29 May 2008, 12:15 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
What is she like with other dogs, pimmo????? Mine is not good with other dogs, infact he is terrible.

I find blokes are really attracted to my dog, they all love him to bits. Most ask if he is ok to stroke, but the odd one takes a chance and he barks like hell

Shes not really interested in other dogs unless they come over to her.. and even then shes too busy watching me to see if I have a ball or stick for her ...

She never grows and when other dogs get too playful she runs tail between her legs...

The only little bit of aggression I've seen is when she was on heat, on her lead and some little Jack Russel was sticking its head between her legs, she kept sort of head butting it .. knocking it over .. didnt bite it .. sadly ..
Old 29 May 2008, 12:21 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Shes not really interested in other dogs unless they come over to her.. and even then shes too busy watching me to see if I have a ball or stick for her ...

She never grows and when other dogs get too playful she runs tail between her legs...

The only little bit of aggression I've seen is when she was on heat, on her lead and some little Jack Russel was sticking its head between her legs, she kept sort of head butting it .. knocking it over .. didnt bite it .. sadly ..

Cyclists are scared of my dog, and I have to pull him close for them to be comfortable going past. No idea why, must be because of his size and look.

But honestly, he is a nightmare with other dogs. A tiny puppy tonight and he was frantic. Did speak to Spoon over a week ago about it, but, no improvement.

I guess, in a way you are lucky. Must be a boy thing

The lad in question
Old 29 May 2008, 12:23 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Doesn't like, like he wont send them a Christmas card, or doesn't like, like he's going to eat them
Doesn't like, as in the last three things that were in his mouth, which shouldnt have been, didn't live another day.
Old 29 May 2008, 12:28 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

There is a rottie in the stable yard next door to me. The canniest thing you could meet
I just wish its owner would not keep it locked up in a tiny space all day and take it for a walk now and then
He does not frighten me, he just wants fuss, bless him
Old 29 May 2008, 12:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

People push themselves against bushes to get out of her way, when I am hold her right at my side... girl shriek when they see her ...

One old bloke ran across the park to get his dogs just in case my vicious monster attacked them ...

Do you really not know the answer to your own question

Why assume that every one "understands" dogs? How are they supposed to know that your dog is well trained and you are in control?

I have had dogs for 30 years but I get nervous around a strange powerful dog. As a kid I was chased on my bike by a friendly GSD and ended up in front of a car and close to being killed. Now if I am bitten I just keep bleeding (warfarin) so forgive me if I avoid your dog.

At least some find it amusing. dl
Old 29 May 2008, 12:33 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

That big loon of mine is scared of everything. He'll try to kill everything, but he's so soft, he runs straight back to whoever is walking him and hides between their legs - which is amusing is it's my mother as he lifts her off the floor

The other week, he went charging at a St Bernard, until he was about 4 feet away, at which point he realised how big it was and he scarperred back to my dad.

I took him out a couple of days later, when a 9 week old Sh1tzu ran over to him, he couldn't get away from the little thing fast enough.

There are some dogs he's great with, Coby who is another retreiver (the only male apart from his brother), Tia who is a Labradoodle (think Top Gear Dog), a couple of Alsation bitches, a couple of (rough) Collies (bitches again) and a chocolate lab. All the female ones roll on the floor infront of him - even though he looks like he is scared of them
Old 29 May 2008, 12:34 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

Why assume that every one "understands" dogs? How are they supposed to know that your dog is well trained and you are in control?

I have had dogs for 30 years but I get nervous around a strange powerful dog. As a kid I was chased on my bike by a friendly GSD and ended up in front of a car and close to being killed. Now if I am bitten I just keep bleeding (warfarin) so forgive me if I avoid your dog.

So if I'm walking down the road with my dog on a lead you'd move as far away as possible, including walking in the road and make stupid noises?

I'm not asking anyone to "understand" my dog just don't assume its going to eat you and your children
Old 29 May 2008, 12:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Doesn't like, as in the last three things that were in his mouth, which shouldnt have been, didn't live another day.
Now do you mean the last three things from your list ...

"Staffie's, joggers, horses"

cause if so I think I'll keep away from him
Old 29 May 2008, 12:39 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

All of my previous dogs have been as soft as grease and anyone could approach them. However, with the newest two, the small one is brilliant, but the big loon I mentioned, I won't let him stray as I don't trust him.

I'll hold him back if anything passes by, be it dog, cat, rabbit, child, bus, cycle, transit van, Irish neighbour (the last one is a lie - I hope he gets him) etc... The funny thing is even though he doesn't like children, there is one little lad, probably about 8 years old, who can walk straight up to him, tell him to sit, ask for a paw and stroke him. I think my dog has a short circuit in the brain somewhere
Old 29 May 2008, 12:40 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

So if I'm walking down the road with my dog on a lead you'd move as far away as possible, including walking in the road and make stupid noises?

I'm not asking anyone to "understand" my dog just don't assume its going to eat you and your children
No. I'd use common sense and my judgment as to the dog's and owner's behaviour. dl
Old 29 May 2008, 12:41 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I agree, but, the amount of people who think it is ok to stroke my dog without a by your leave, is unbelievable.

Some have sense to ask first, but I get tired of enjoying a walk and having to say to, blokes in particular. He is a Puppy, don't just go up to him please.

Like I said, his appearance scares some, but not all
Old 29 May 2008, 12:46 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Now do you mean the last three things from your list ...

"Staffie's, joggers, horses"

cause if so I think I'll keep away from him
1 rabbit, 2 cats.

By looking at the carnage, it could have been 4 cats.

One day, his little brother chased a cat out of the scrub, at which point he went chasing as well.

Luckily the cat lept up a seven foot fence.

Stupidly, it jumped back down between them, at which they both picke it up.

Myself and my brother spent 10 minutes pushing both dogs at each other so they didn't tear the cat in half. In the end, they got bored and dropped it.

What I don't understand is that they were both born alomgside a breeder of cats and St. Bernards which the big loon now hates
Old 29 May 2008, 12:51 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

If you were on the same side of the road as me, I wouldn't swap sides. If I was on the same side with both of my dogs, I would swap sides as I wouldn't want my lunatic to misbehave.

Sometimes he'll see a dog on the street that he doesn't like, he'll bark, then growl and then try to attack his brother. I wouldn't want him to do that to your dog.

Can anyone recommend a doggy shrink? He's obviously a nutter
Old 29 May 2008, 12:53 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

No. I'd use common sense and my judgment as to the dog's and owner's behaviour. dl
No doubt, when you see that the small one of our retrievers walks fairly loosely, and the big one is walked between walls and his walker, you'd have a good idea of which one you could approach.

Nice to see someone with dog sense.
Old 29 May 2008, 01:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Then this thread has nothing to do with you !

You'd be surprised how many people don't have common sense when it comes to dogs .... !!

For example !

What happens when you come running up to a puppy carrying a stick ?

.. whys your dog barking at me
Old 29 May 2008, 01:23 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Then this thread has nothing to do with you !

You'd be surprised how many people don't have common sense when it comes to dogs .... !!

For example !

What happens when you come running up to a puppy carrying a stick ?

.. whys your dog barking at me
Is that they are carrying the stick, or the puppy is carrying the stick?
Old 29 May 2008, 07:33 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Get one with a tail-confuses the hell out of people around here-everyone keeps asking me what it is
not the best pic but you get the idea

beer panniers appear to have slipped forward here somehow on the big boy(14 months old) with miss waggy long tongue(12 months old) in the background-
richie
Old 29 May 2008, 08:23 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Pimmo, lovely
Old 29 May 2008, 09:07 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

You answer your own question really - YOU know your dog is soft and well behaved, but other people dont, especially those who have never owned dogs or been around them much.

With dogs that get a bad press like Staffies and Rottweilers its understandable - a lot of the owners of these dogs have them as status symbols and dont have a clue about training or discipline, so people should be wary.

But a funny thing happened the other day, wife was taking our Border Collie for a walk, and had her Halti collar on ( looks a bit like a nylon muzzle ) and she said loads less people stopped to make a fuss of her when normally all the old people do when shes on a standard lead ( she is probably one of the friendliest dogs around, and loves people making a fuss of her and wants to play with everyone ).

Down at the fields there was a group of teenagers who saw her, and were all going 'ooh, dangerous dog, its got a muzzle on' until one of them told the others it was a collar to stop them pulling, and not a muzzle !

We're quite lucky as most of the owners around us are responsible, and when letting their dogs off the lead in the fields will call them back if other loose dogs are around just to be safe.

Poppy is funny though as if she sees other dogs in the field she'll run towards them and start going into her herding position, creep around them in a big circle crawling along the floor and treat them like sheep.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:27 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

German Shepards are usually well trained and I wouldnt bother about being scared of it. Especially if it was off the lead. I generally presume the dog is well mannered and trained if its off the lead in a public place but that doesnt mean I dont take caution if Im cycling past it and its owner. You can hardly blame the cyclist for going off on one though if he jumped regardless of if he touched him or not.

As said, try walking something like a Rotwieller or even my Bulldog through a market even when its on a tight lead. Soft as **** but it is like parting waters. My dog is only ever off the lead when hes on his own in the fields or if he and I know the other dogs around.
Old 29 May 2008, 11:13 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
German Shepards are usually well trained and I wouldnt bother about being scared of it. Especially if it was off the lead. I generally presume the dog is well mannered and trained if its off the lead in a public place but that doesnt mean I dont take caution if Im cycling past it and its owner. You can hardly blame the cyclist for going off on one though if he jumped regardless of if he touched him or not.

As said, try walking something like a Rotwieller or even my Bulldog through a market even when its on a tight lead. Soft as **** but it is like parting waters. My dog is only ever off the lead when hes on his own in the fields or if he and I know the other dogs around.

I don't blame him... as I said it was my fault from not seeing him coming ...

Shes not allowed to approach people for that very reason, people are scared of her and if she came running up to someone I could see why they would be a little concerned...

I didn't word my question very well,

Its not the off the lead stuff I'm bothered about, its on the lead when I have full control of her and they can see I'm keeping her away from them ...

I even had one lad looking at the dog like he was kicking off on it ... honestly it was surreal ...

Quick Reply: Why are people Scared of my dog ? (pictures)