Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2008, 11:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car parking problem at work..SN Legal Eagles

Hi

Asking for the usual SN help here

Car parking at work is pretty tight due to lack of space............its a small NHS car park for patients and staff.

Inconsiderate Staff members park in front of my car blocking me in so I can't get to other clinics......patients suffer

I'd welcome some replies as I have fired off an e-mail today to my management saying if I can't move my car then I can't get to clinics !!

The question is ......is it illegal for someone to park their car in front of mine so I can't move it ??

Cheers

Shaun
Old 23 May 2008, 08:33 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Put on front and rear tow bars and ram the bugers out of the way.
Old 23 May 2008, 08:37 AM
boiledshrimpnbutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get urself an olz banger fulz of battle scarz
C if theyz park near u then
Old 23 May 2008, 09:14 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Illegal, I would not have said so. Inconsiderate and stupid.... yes.
Old 23 May 2008, 10:04 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Who owns and maintains the land?
Old 23 May 2008, 11:24 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Denying the use of car is illegal, its why you can't park across the front of drives with cars on them. You can legally park across the front of drive, provided there is no car parked there.

I would assume the same situation applies. Call the Police the next time it happens. IIRC its a similar offence to stealing a car.

Trending Topics

Old 23 May 2008, 11:28 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

???????

Stealing a car's theft and something that can land you in prison, nothing to do with denying someone use of a car! If the land is privately owned then the police have no power to do anything relating to obstruction.

If the car park is private land then only the owner can impose conditions on those that use it and they should be displayed.
Old 23 May 2008, 01:46 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Reffro
Denying the use of car is illegal, its why you can't park across the front of drives with cars on them. You can legally park across the front of drive, provided there is no car parked there.

I would assume the same situation applies. Call the Police the next time it happens. IIRC its a similar offence to stealing a car.
Not sure about the stealing bit but you can call the police if a car is obstructing your car which is parked on your drive. However, I would suggest that the offending car must be on the public highway and therefore up to the cops to move it.
Old 23 May 2008, 02:39 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Car parking at work is pretty tight due to lack of space............its a small NHS car park for patients and staff.
Doesn't answer the question, but this wouldn't be a result of policies of selling off as much land and buildings as possible to get out of debt would it?

Thats whats happened here! Car abandonment is rife, including mine
Old 23 May 2008, 02:54 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

When a neighbour repeatedly parked within an inch of my partners car (never mine ) we let them get away with it for a couple of months hoping they'd get bored. They didn't, so we had a word with the local Plod and a lovely officer called 'round one day to witness the allegation, and then advised them that if they continued to park inconsiderately or in a way which may cause obstruction to other road users that they would get a ticket, each and every time. It seemed to work
Old 23 May 2008, 11:05 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

If I was the management of this car park and people complained about the parking within it, I would just close it too everyone! No arguments then!

Surely you must know who's cars are in the way just ask them to move, or of course park somewhere else.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:10 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

seen it on cops with cameras where a car was parked over a driveway and the owner couldnt get the car out - they rang the police and they towed the car
Old 24 May 2008, 12:18 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Sorry about the late response....Just got the kids / pets / fish to bed !!

Thanks for all the replies which were much appreciated...

Taking all the replies into account (especially reffro) I have e-mailed the center manager that "blocking in" my car by parking in front of it is at best a Tort (civil wrong) and likely a breach of traffic legislation relating to areas to which the public have access.

The matter has been passed to the Estates Manager and the Trust solicitors... I'll keep you posted next week (Tuesday)

Shaun
Old 24 May 2008, 12:29 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Chrisgr31

Yep... I know exactly who parks in the car park blocking other people in.

The to$$er who blocked me in and wrecked my Thursday is Dr Prosser who drives a Black VW Passat on a 55 Plate.

I just want to know what legal comeback I have after 6 years of being Mr Nice Guy !

Shaun
Old 24 May 2008, 12:54 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

None if it's private land.
Old 24 May 2008, 09:13 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
None if it's private land.
Didn't the law change a few years back to give police powers on land that the public had access to - or was that only for certain traffic offences that look good on the target figures?
cheers richie
Old 24 May 2008, 09:24 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

If the land is private it's up to the owner of the land re parking and enforcing rules. I remember a bloke that owned a tiny bit of land behind his restaurant blocking a cheeky **** that kept parking his Porsche there so to save the £30 per day charges on the street. He just left his banger there for over 2 weeks until the Porsche owner paid him a release fee (there was a sign up) amounting to about a grand.

Parking was decriminilised years ago anyway, hence councils hammering the motorist as they saw the chance to make £££ from it.

Only obstruction on public land can be classed as a criminal act. Traffic offences on private land include drink/drive etc, only where there's an implied permission for anyone to use, such as supermarket car parks and petrol stations etc.

Blocking someone in on privately owned land is down to the land owner to sort, unless the vehicle blocking is on a public road. The only way police would attend if there was going to be fisticuffs between the people there.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 24 May 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 24 May 2008, 09:55 AM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Traffic offences on private land include drink/drive etc, only where there's an implied permission for anyone to use, such as supermarket car parks and petrol stations etc.
Do hospital car parks not come under the implied permission clause?
So they powers you are allowed on such land are actually limited compared to public roads?
Is it just the major stuff you can nick people for in a car park then eg. no tax/mot dd etc(safe convictions if you like)?
Am genuinly interested Btw as i thought the full set of rta laws now applied in such places
cheers richie
Old 24 May 2008, 10:37 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Implied permission is where anyone can drive that is open to the public, even if you have to pay to park there.

Tax, MOT and insurance is different though, and only needed on public roads.
Old 25 May 2008, 08:27 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I used to work in a location where I had a parking space with my appointment marked on it and the company name. I didn't mind others using it when I wasn't needing it, (my view is nothing at work is owned by me so others are free to share it) but got fed up returning from meetings and finding someone from outside the company parked there.

On one occasion I parked my car across the front of theirs blocking them in, which resulted in a complaint to the management agent for the office complex. A complaint was referred to my Director and I was hauled in for a flaming. There is some law or regulation about denying someone use of their vehicle and obstruvting their right of way in a public place (a private car park is a public place if the public can access it - ie no manned or automated barriers). The fact they were in effect stealing from my company, by helping themselves to a parking space it paid for, was the lesser of two wrongs.
Old 25 May 2008, 11:25 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

know exactly how you feel, I have the same problem at my house with inconsiderate NHS staff who park across our drive as they claim they cant find space on the hospital car park, which is at the end of our road. More like they dont want to pay for parking, which is discounted! However thats not your problem

Okay, if people are blocking you in then they should put their extension number in the window so you can phone them and get them to come and move the car. Thats how some areas of the local hospital work.

If your job relies on you moving around then the management should supply a parking space which is permanently unblocked or they should solve the problem. A the end of they day you have to park there and if you cant get out because some berk has blocked you in, then this is not your fault.
Old 26 May 2008, 06:51 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you pay for parking?
If it's a pay and display car park then isn't it up to whoever runs the car park to sort these probems out (clamping, fine, etc)?
Old 27 May 2008, 11:22 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Just a quick update....

I have e-mailed the building manager who has passed it directly to the NHS Trust and I await their reply with interest .

Richiehash.... The old "crown property" stuff is IMHO now dead so Hospital car parks are public spaces as far as I am aware !!

mykp....is Wythenshawe Hopsital near you ??

Shaun
Old 27 May 2008, 11:45 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Shaun,

Macc. Thing is most days the roads round here are packed with cars, the same cars each day so there obviously staff, but the hospital car park has empty parking spaces.

The local residents have complained to the council, local councilors and the hospital and there response has been to ignore us or have a nice meeting where they discussed the parking and listened to our concerns and gave us all tea and biscuits - then ignored us! Now we find out that they plan to sell off park of the hospital land, which means even less parking spaces but apparently there will be less people working on the site.

Ho hum! Time will tell.
Old 28 May 2008, 11:52 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

mykp

Sorry to hear that

Can you PM me and confirm the address of the hospital and I'll write to the chief Exec... The NHS has a zero tolerance policy about harasment of both staff, patients and contacts.

Shaun