Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Money Saving Tips ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2008, 01:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Money Saving Tips ?

Ok, on from UB's thread about secondhand bargains, anyone got any money saving tips for the prevailing financial situation.

First one, sell Subaru Impreza and buy push bike, you may have to put a little to the transaction based on current values

Ok, serious ones as well....
Old 19 May 2008, 01:08 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Ok, on from UB's thread about secondhand bargains, anyone got any money saving tips for the prevailing financial situation.

First one, sell Subaru Impreza and buy push bike, you may have to put a little to the transaction based on current values

Ok, serious ones as well....
Im one of the few who have pulled the push bike out of the house again and cycle to work. Ive been saving about £250 a month in fuel alone, got a house mate to move into the spare room. £250 a month extra. Thats been enough for me now to keep a decent standard of living
Old 19 May 2008, 01:10 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Stop scoffing and boozing, not only do you get thin very quickly you also save cash

Well, it's worked for me
Old 19 May 2008, 01:20 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

iv also got my pushbike out for going to work while the weathers good, aswell as saving petrol will save a lot of mileage and general wear on the car
Old 19 May 2008, 01:22 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Something I received in an email (but from Viz originally I believe):

. Save a fortune on laundry bills. Give your dirty shirts to a local charity shop. They'll wash and iron them and you can buy them back for 50 cents.

2. Create instant designer stubble by sucking a magnet and dipping your chin into a bowl of iron filings.

3. A hedgehog, trained to scuttle up and down the table from guest to guest, makes an unusual and cheap mobile appetizer dispenser at cocktail parties.

4. Foil pick-pockets by placing a freshly toasted "pop tart" in each pocket. Would-be thieves will quickly rupture the fragile pastry and receive nasty finger burns from the steaming hot jam inside.

5. A length of plastic drainpipe with a roller skate at each end makes an ideal home-made "car" for snakes.

6. Can’t afford contact lenses? Simply cut out small circles of clingwrap and press them into your eyes.

7. Stop bread from drying out by keeping it in a bucket of water.

8. Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

9. Avoid jet lag by simply taking an earlier flight, thus arriving fully refreshed and on time.

10. Put a stop to car thieves by siphoning off all your gas whenever you park your car, and carrying it round with you in one or two plastic buckets.

11. Why pay for expensive jigsaws? Just take a bag of frozen fries from the freezer and try piercing together potatoes.

12. Smell gas? Locate the suspected leak by striking an ordinary match in every room in the house until a loud explosion reveals the source of the escaping gas.

13. Always keep a stick of butter in your pocket so that if you get your head stuck in railings you'll be able to grease your ears and slide out.

14. Exterior wood stain is a cheap, long-lasting and attractive alternative to sun-bed treatments.

15. Office workers. Avoid distractions from your important paperwork by making "blinkers" out of two post-it note stickers, one stuck to each temple.

16. Save electricity by turning off all the lights in your house and walking around wearing a miner's hat.

17. Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windscreen wipers turned to 'fast wipe' whenever you leave your car parked illegally.

18. Old telephone directories make ideal, free personal address books. Simply cross out the names and addresses of people you don't know.

19. When reading a book try tearing out the pages as you read them. This saves the expense of buying a bookmark.

20. Save on gas by pushing your car to your destination. Invariably passers-by will think you've broken down and help.

21. Avoid being wheel-clamped by jacking up your car, removing the wheels and locking them safely in the trunk until you return.

22. No time for a bath? Wrap yourself in duct tape and remove the dirt by simply peeling it off.

23. Expensive hair gels are expensive. Jelly is a much cheaper alternative, but beware of bees in the summer.

24. Save on alochol by drinking cold tea instead of scotch. The following morning you can create the effects of a hangover by drinking a tablespoon of dish soap and banging your head repeatedly on the wall.

25. International master criminals. It is possible to make your fortune. Simply tell your guards to shoot James Bond in the head at the first opportunity. Under no circumstances give him a guided tour of your base, or leave him in the custody of attractive women in bikinis.
Old 19 May 2008, 04:57 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The greatest tip I can give is to plan early to avoid financial problemsand if you are going bankrupt max every line of credit you can get and use it to make sure you have some spare cash.
Going broke for small amounts of money is a waste of time if you know its coming get as many credit cards as possible get a new car on finance get a plasma on HP and sell them for cash before the balif comes around. If you can get your financed car to Moroco/tunisia or a host of other countries you can sell for a tidy profit provided it is less than 2 years old and has less than 40k miles. They do not care where it has come from.
Old 19 May 2008, 05:06 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com
Talking

Originally Posted by boxst
Something I received in an email (but from Viz originally I believe):

. Save a fortune on laundry bills. Give your dirty shirts to a local charity shop. They'll wash and iron them and you can buy them back for 50 cents.

2. Create instant designer stubble by sucking a magnet and dipping your chin into a bowl of iron filings.

3. A hedgehog, trained to scuttle up and down the table from guest to guest, makes an unusual and cheap mobile appetizer dispenser at cocktail parties.

4. Foil pick-pockets by placing a freshly toasted "pop tart" in each pocket. Would-be thieves will quickly rupture the fragile pastry and receive nasty finger burns from the steaming hot jam inside.

5. A length of plastic drainpipe with a roller skate at each end makes an ideal home-made "car" for snakes.

6. Can’t afford contact lenses? Simply cut out small circles of clingwrap and press them into your eyes.

7. Stop bread from drying out by keeping it in a bucket of water.

8. Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

9. Avoid jet lag by simply taking an earlier flight, thus arriving fully refreshed and on time.

10. Put a stop to car thieves by siphoning off all your gas whenever you park your car, and carrying it round with you in one or two plastic buckets.

11. Why pay for expensive jigsaws? Just take a bag of frozen fries from the freezer and try piercing together potatoes.

12. Smell gas? Locate the suspected leak by striking an ordinary match in every room in the house until a loud explosion reveals the source of the escaping gas.

13. Always keep a stick of butter in your pocket so that if you get your head stuck in railings you'll be able to grease your ears and slide out.

14. Exterior wood stain is a cheap, long-lasting and attractive alternative to sun-bed treatments.

15. Office workers. Avoid distractions from your important paperwork by making "blinkers" out of two post-it note stickers, one stuck to each temple.

16. Save electricity by turning off all the lights in your house and walking around wearing a miner's hat.

17. Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windscreen wipers turned to 'fast wipe' whenever you leave your car parked illegally.

18. Old telephone directories make ideal, free personal address books. Simply cross out the names and addresses of people you don't know.

19. When reading a book try tearing out the pages as you read them. This saves the expense of buying a bookmark.

20. Save on gas by pushing your car to your destination. Invariably passers-by will think you've broken down and help.

21. Avoid being wheel-clamped by jacking up your car, removing the wheels and locking them safely in the trunk until you return.

22. No time for a bath? Wrap yourself in duct tape and remove the dirt by simply peeling it off.

23. Expensive hair gels are expensive. Jelly is a much cheaper alternative, but beware of bees in the summer.

24. Save on alochol by drinking cold tea instead of scotch. The following morning you can create the effects of a hangover by drinking a tablespoon of dish soap and banging your head repeatedly on the wall.

25. International master criminals. It is possible to make your fortune. Simply tell your guards to shoot James Bond in the head at the first opportunity. Under no circumstances give him a guided tour of your base, or leave him in the custody of attractive women in bikinis.

rotfpmsl

Trending Topics

Old 19 May 2008, 05:08 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Brew your own beer. It works out at about 50p/pint, and if you do it properly, it's better than you can buy in most pubs...
Old 19 May 2008, 05:22 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

shoot wife
Old 19 May 2008, 05:24 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Brew your own beer. It works out at about 50p/pint, and if you do it properly, it's better than you can buy in most pubs...
good point whats the crack with home brew kits as i've never tried.is there much to it
Old 19 May 2008, 05:28 PM
d5hof
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=j4ckos mate;7883128]shoot wife[/QUOTE
Old 19 May 2008, 05:35 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Don't sell your Colt 1.5 diesel and buy a 330Ci to replace it.

I did, the fuel costs are horrific in comparison, haven't stopped smiling though.........
Old 19 May 2008, 05:44 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
The greatest tip I can give is to plan early to avoid financial problemsand if you are going bankrupt max every line of credit you can get and use it to make sure you have some spare cash.
Going broke for small amounts of money is a waste of time if you know its coming get as many credit cards as possible get a new car on finance get a plasma on HP and sell them for cash before the balif comes around. If you can get your financed car to Moroco/tunisia or a host of other countries you can sell for a tidy profit provided it is less than 2 years old and has less than 40k miles. They do not care where it has come from.
Obviously if you were to do that there is a possibility you would be subject to a Bankruptcy Restriction Order for up to a maximum of 15 years so I assume you are just joking.
Old 19 May 2008, 07:39 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

1) use car less, and try and do multiple things in the same trip instead of lots of seperate trips

2) take a packed lunch to work instead of driving to supermarket/mc'd's/subway and buying ready made lunch (I've started this one this week! will save me a fortune)
Old 19 May 2008, 07:51 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
2) take a packed lunch to work instead of driving to supermarket/mc'd's/subway and buying ready made lunch (I've started this one this week! will save me a fortune)
I save 60 quid a month by now doing this
Old 19 May 2008, 08:12 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bootsy
good point whats the crack with home brew kits as i've never tried.is there much to it
You can put in as much or as little effort as you like really. I'm a real ale fan and a card-carrying CAMRA member, so I do a 'full mash' brew, just like a commercial brewery - full description with photos here.

If you don't want all the hassle or don't want to buy all the equipment straight away, then you can brew from a kit - basically a can of concentrated wort to which you just add yeast and hot water, then leave it to ferment. All you need then is a fermenting bin and a pressure barrel, though of course the end result won't be quite as good.

Total initial outlay for the whole 'full mash' kit is about £100. Ingredients for a 35-pint batch are about £15, plus another few quid for electricity and water. It is a fair amount of work - the best part of a day - though it's a fun and productive hobby and it gets easier once you know what you're doing. And you're saving over £2 a pint compared to pub prices
Old 19 May 2008, 08:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Andy, but how does it taste ?

To a Dyed in the wool Lager boy like me, I like some real ales but always gravitate to Stella or some of the Belgian ones like Leffe.
Old 19 May 2008, 08:46 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Depends what you choose to brew. You can brew lager if you want, but you'll need somewhere cold - a spare fridge, or maybe a shed or garage in winter - to keep it while it matures. (Lagering = long, cold storage). Brewing ales is easier, and the end result tastes just like what you'd buy in the pub. (I was amazed!!)
Old 19 May 2008, 09:07 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

homebrew is great, judging by the news that all alcohol is evil and the current governments "blame it then tax it" mentality it is begging for a huge hike next budget.

also look into double edged safe razor shaving if you are currently using wet shaving gilette mach 2000 or whatever is the latest and greatest - huge savings to be had here.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:13 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
You can put in as much or as little effort as you like really. I'm a real ale fan and a card-carrying CAMRA member, so I do a 'full mash' brew, just like a commercial brewery - full description with photos here.

If you don't want all the hassle or don't want to buy all the equipment straight away, then you can brew from a kit - basically a can of concentrated wort to which you just add yeast and hot water, then leave it to ferment. All you need then is a fermenting bin and a pressure barrel, though of course the end result won't be quite as good.

Total initial outlay for the whole 'full mash' kit is about £100. Ingredients for a 35-pint batch are about £15, plus another few quid for electricity and water. It is a fair amount of work - the best part of a day - though it's a fun and productive hobby and it gets easier once you know what you're doing. And you're saving over £2 a pint compared to pub prices
cheersi've had google about and like the idea of the vodka home brew kit
Old 19 May 2008, 09:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

make ur own lunch

dont booze in the week

shop at lidl
Old 19 May 2008, 09:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bootsy
cheersi've had google about and like the idea of the vodka home brew kit
Feel free to have a go .. How to make vodka at home although it is illegal.

Steve
Old 19 May 2008, 10:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Has anyone shot and cooked Rabbit ?

I reckon it would be quite nice, organic and free !
Old 19 May 2008, 11:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

must say i would miss a pint of your best bitter but the vodka home brew sounds like the way forward
Old 20 May 2008, 01:50 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Just introduce a strain of miximatosis to a local colony and you'll save money on bullets

One for the single fellas: Only date women who are light-weight drinkers, who are happy to sit there with one drink all night.

With BBQ season almost upon us, get invited to as many bring-your-own-booze events as possible and take 4 cans of Tesco Value lager, not only will these still be in the fridge at the end of the night, you'll have had ample opportunity to drink everyone elses booze.
Old 20 May 2008, 08:26 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Im one of the few who have pulled the push bike out of the house again and cycle to work. Ive been saving about £250 a month in fuel alone, got a house mate to move into the spare room. £250 a month extra. Thats been enough for me now to keep a decent standard of living
Dave, not trying to nit pick, but i cant see how using your bike to cycle to work would save you £250pm in fuel

You must be doing a hell of a lot of miles on your push bike

£250 equates to around 50 gallons of UL, dependant on what car you drive, scoob i guess? (25mpg x 50 = 1250 miles)

22 working days of the month. 1250/22 = 57 miles per day or a 28.5mile trip to work and a 28.5 mile trip back home from work.

Sod that, i'd much rather get in the car and waste the £250
Old 20 May 2008, 08:42 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I know someone who does - two bunnies makes a decent pie, apparently. Your local farmers might be only too pleased to have someone shoot a few, since their burrows are a hazard to cattle.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:06 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
Dave, not trying to nit pick, but i cant see how using your bike to cycle to work would save you £250pm in fuel

You must be doing a hell of a lot of miles on your push bike

£250 equates to around 50 gallons of UL, dependant on what car you drive, scoob i guess? (25mpg x 50 = 1250 miles)

22 working days of the month. 1250/22 = 57 miles per day or a 28.5mile trip to work and a 28.5 mile trip back home from work.

Sod that, i'd much rather get in the car and waste the £250
No no, reasonable question. I only work about 3.5-4 miles to work. I would go home at dinner times too so looking at say 15 miles per day work miles. but because Ive took my car off the road completely (primary use for car was work and back) Ive saved approx 1 tank of fuel a week. I dont find myself wanting or needing a car at all, all them trips to town etc have been on foot/bike etc. Only thing I miss the car for now is when I want to go shopping.
Old 20 May 2008, 11:04 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonto
Obviously if you were to do that there is a possibility you would be subject to a Bankruptcy Restriction Order for up to a maximum of 15 years so I assume you are just joking.
I have seen people do much worse and had the receivers not say a word so the chances of an offical receiver being fussed over such a small amount of money is very small. BRO's are very rarely used for 15 years much more likely to be 2 and the restrictions on them are limited unless you wan to be an MP or work for the local council.

Quick Reply: Money Saving Tips ?