Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Remaining motivated when redundancy threat looms..

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2008, 06:10 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Remaining motivated when redundancy threat looms..

The company I work for recently completed first phase of redundancies. These were voluntary - lot's of people near enough retirement age took the money.
Now there is one more to go in my department. "Department" used loosly.
There are 8 on the list of people and on that list are:-
3 project managers (one of which is me)
1 mantenance supervisor
1 finance bod
1 property junior/clerk
1 cad draughtsman
1 chief of security

I can't get my head around the list as the roles are so diverse.
Anway I suppose the company are going through a process (which probably comes under a daft employment law).
I've been through similar several years ago, but that was a case of waiting to be "called into the boss's office". Things have obviously changed since then

The problem in the meantime whilst "waiting" is remaining positive and continuing with my daily role, taking on board the additional jobs left behind from other PMs who took voluntary. We're 3 PMs down!

It's like "here's some more work, you need to take this on and by the way we're pointing a gun at you which may go off any minute".

Some days are better than others but during the last couple of months I've become easily irritated and short-fused.
Some "Clients" are begining to send snotty emails to us as their projects are not being moved along quick enough. They don't care that we are short staffed.

My boss has moved on internally and no longer manages us so several other seniors are taking it for granted bouncing us from pillow to post.

Anyone else been through this sort of thing?

It's easy to perhaps through the towel in but I love my job and I'm about half way through a major project which delivers a significant show-piece for the company in August.

Sorry guys just feeling a bit low today.

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 01 May 2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01 May 2008, 06:56 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Used to go through this sort of thing every year for about 10 years, all you can do is keep your head down, keep working hard and producing results that get noticed (good ones that is ) and it may just not be you in the firing line

Alternatively try and find alternative employment timing it so you get redundancy as well

Ask yourself, can you afford to be made redundant, and can you get another job in a similar line for similar pay

I have been made redundant several times, twice from the same company, and I still went back and worked for them
Old 01 May 2008, 11:55 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Virginmedia are cutting jobs the entire E-contact team just got the boot !!

More to go too ! So I might be joining you in the dole queue.
Old 02 May 2008, 01:05 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Our lot have just announced the second voluntary exercise of the year. Plus we've had a "reconfig" type of thing going on for the past 12 months too....

Time to buy a new lawnmower, I think... And use it every day throughout the summer.

J.
Old 02 May 2008, 03:27 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

they drag it along hoping someone will leave and save them money, they will never openly admit it but it gets done.

a friend of mine is facing redundancy at the mo, every one else has left and she is the only one in the office helping the migration of stock. she doesnt want to move to the new place and has expcepted redundancy but when she asked them for a finish date they just keep saying " she is only at risk and they are trying to find her employment" over 5 departments have left, all the other 6 people in her office have left and the drivers have gone to the new place and she is left sorting the skeleton warehouse staff out, how ****e is that
Old 02 May 2008, 08:28 AM
Rae
Scooby Regular

taking v/redundency ,got my date 23/5 , factory floor worker ,and cant be to bothered about doing much now just passing time there , no interest anymore ,
company's going down the pan as far as i can see so getting out whilst they still got some money to pay me .but like what was said they are dragging there feet hoping people leave so they dont have to pay .
Old 02 May 2008, 09:40 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

My current employer is currently in the process of negotiating a buyout of all the assets / resources at our head office (where I work) by a new Joint Venture Company.

I've been told that I will be TUPE'd across to the new company and that I should be "ok" but I work in a dept of 4 + the boss and at the end of the day you don't need 4 IT bods to support about 65 people!!!!

There's an awful lot of work that needs to be done for this deal to go through - ie putting infrastructure in place etc - which is mostly down to me. Last week they offered me a %10 bonus on completion of objectives which "can be subject to chnage"!!!! A little carrot perhaps?

Even tho I've been told about being TUPE'd I also know that alot of othert ppl that are going to be affected have been told one thing and yet I know that something completely different is happening.... and not in a good way!!

So yep.... at the moment some days are good and some are just down right rubbish. I guess I'm lucky in that I'm being kept very busy at the mo!!