Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gas meter relocation..?

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2008, 10:35 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gas meter relocation..?

Having a downstairs w/c fitted and the gas meter is in a really awkward position (inside at floor level opposite door..!). Now all it needs to be moved is ~1m towards street, where it can be concealed in a large vanity unit and not directly under the sink.

I'm aware that Transco/National Grid need to move it, but I've been told (by builder) that if it's being moved at all it HAS to go on an external wall..!

I'm not too happy about it as the only place it can go is right next to the front door. Also, our <2yr old drive (concrete print) will need to be dug and then patched up..! That's never going to match..!

However, having contacted T/NG and looked at their web site regarding meter relocation it seems that the builder may be talking twaddle, as there's no mention of it needing to go outside..!

The only criteria that may cause an issue is that the meter cannot be located: "Where it might be affected by a corrosive atmosphere or liquid, such as directly under a sink.."
Hence my comment about it being at the side of a large vanity unit, i.e. not directly under the sink..!

Can someone confirm any of this and would my proposed location contravene the guidelines..?
Old 05 May 2008, 09:17 AM
borgie
Scooby Regular

If you want to move this and keep internal you can.The only problem is im not sure what the maximum it can be moved from the inlet pipe that feeds the meter.
The pipe that comes off the inlet pipe is normally flexi pipe and im not sure what their maximum length this can be.
Normally if you move along on a wall national grid alter the pipe externally as to refeed it with the same type of connection.

The thing to mention is your not prepared to have your Drive ripped up, so they can send someone out to check your proposal.

I think that there must be a maximum distance that this can be away from the inlet pipe that comes through the wall.

But if the inlet pipe was to stay where it was, would this be in your way?
Old 05 May 2008, 02:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Why not get an outside meter box fitted. That way you'll not only have more room inside but you wont have to be in for your meter to be read. Its just means running a bit of copper then to your exisiting internals.

Chip
Old 05 May 2008, 02:33 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

You really want to speak to my next door neighbour, he has just had an absolute nightmare with moving his, he also has a concrete print drive

He is now suing them for compensation

Firstly they charged him 650 quid, dug up most of the road outside his house, then realised they didnt need to do this, then they dug up some of his concrete print drive, then when they actually come to do the work the guy who came out said this is a 99 quid job

He has taken 4 days holiday (his own business, so he loses the money) and each time no-one has turned up to do the work

When they finally come back to repair his concrete print drive they just wanted to fill it with standard white/grey concrete so he told them to clear off

He has now had his 600 odd quid back, and is awaiting compensation for the 4 days holiday and 4 months of inconvienience