Got my semi-cleats

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 04:40 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my semi-cleats

Now i'm off to Tissington (tomorrow) to see if not having your feet clamped to the bike really does help down the bridleways

For background - I've been using cleated road shoes for a while but it's been a nightmare when commuting, but I really need solid soled shoes to support my knees while cycling.

Quick trip to Samways and I've got semi-cleated pedals with recessed cleated shoes - commuting gives me the default non-cleated side and when I get on to a stretch of road I can flip the pedal over and lock my feet down.

Actually looking forward to getting out on the bike tomorrow and start working this excess weight off!

(now if I can convince work to get on the cycle to work scheme I might go for a new bike as well)
Old 25 April 2008, 04:55 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cleats for commuting is the only way, confused as to why you didn't like them.....?
Old 25 April 2008, 05:40 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When you get into the city centre (Derby) you're constantly having to pop out of the pedals - and there are some stretches that take you down cycle routes shared by pedestrians. It's just too risky to have your feet stuck to the pedals.

This way I have the choice
Old 25 April 2008, 06:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to start biking to work, do they make that much difference ?
Old 25 April 2008, 06:27 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I find they really help - both with the efficiency of the cycling action and keeping your feet in the right place.
Old 25 April 2008, 06:53 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

You are GUARANTEED to have some comedy falling off moments with these. I fitted my first set, took a wee cycle outside the shop and unclipped fine on return. Then left the shop, cycled to my car and came to a stop. a moments panic forgetting how to unclip and whack! straight to the ground, with two old dears wondering what the hell was wrong with me.

Now I can't be without mine, either on or off road. Set the release tension loose to start with, you can also get multi release cleats which may be what you mean by semi-cleats? These allow you to unclip easier and by moving your foot different ways.

The other option is to get an old pair of cleats/pedals to start with, a worn pair are far easier to unclip from than brand new ones...

Brian
Old 25 April 2008, 07:05 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

the semi cleats are pedals that have a flat pedal on one side and cleat fittings on the other - my shoes are Shimano SPDs with a recessed fitting for the cleat so you can actually walk on them without looking like a penguin

I agree about the new cleats though, they are very stiff at first (but a good set will be adjustable)

and yes.... I did have a couple of comedy moments myself!
Old 25 April 2008, 07:09 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

way to go with cleats, bit of getting used to but you will be fine
Old 25 April 2008, 08:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

A 'few' years ago we had a system which employed straps over the foot to keep peddle to the mettle - worked quite well
Old 25 April 2008, 08:51 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

My wife just walked past and told me to inform you that she has one full cleat and it works fine.
Old 25 April 2008, 08:53 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Spoon
My wife just walked past and told me to inform you that she has one full cleat and it works fine.

and have you got a semi?
Old 25 April 2008, 09:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
and have you got a semi?
Old 25 April 2008, 09:04 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by dpb
A 'few' years ago we had a system which employed straps over the foot to keep peddle to the mettle - worked quite well
I could never get on with toe-clips and the cleats are only part of the advantage - your cleated shoes have a SOLID sole which means that the whole foot is supported. This is a great advantage to me as it relieves the stress on my knees when I am cycling. If you press down with your calves you can flex the foot and this (in my case) causes a rolling action which flexes the knee laterally.

After getting cleats I lost a lot of pain in my right knee and found cycling much easier.

(right that should counter spoons attempt to 'hutch' a cunning plot )
Old 25 April 2008, 10:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I take it you are talking about SPD's and not womens bits (with a plum in your mouth)?

There IS no other way to cycle! We did 60 miles the other day cross country and I was the ONLY one with SPD's. I just couldnt believe everyone else was scared of this awsome witchcraft!!!!

D
Old 25 April 2008, 11:03 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Can't see the centre of Derby and the centre of Edinburgh being too much different re the need for clipping in and out......

Clipping in and out should be second nature, so it shouldn't be an issue

20 years practise should see you alright.......

And make sure you keep them well adjusted and greased, the last thing you want is them to grap when you are trying to release

Can't imagine cycling without nowadays after nearly 20 years using them.....IIRC 1st week was a bit dodgy but other than that, no issues and with the added control over the bike I reckon they have helped me avoid more incidents (especially mountain biking) than they have caused

Commuting wise, learning to track stand well means you'll seldom need to un-clip anyway
Old 25 April 2008, 11:15 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

By cleats do you mean the stupid lumps stuck to the ***** of your feet, that make you look like a right wally when you walk.

we have a guy at work with these , he reminds me of ali bongo the way he walks with his toes pointing skyward,

whats wrong with the old baskets on the pedals?

Mart
Old 25 April 2008, 11:28 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mart360
By cleats do you mean the stupid lumps stuck to the ***** of your feet, that make you look like a right wally when you walk.

we have a guy at work with these , he reminds me of ali bongo the way he walks with his toes pointing skyward,

whats wrong with the old baskets on the pedals?

Mart
Yes - except the ones I have are recessed and look at my answer about complete foot support when you ask about toe clips