Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How people treat cars

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 12:26 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How people treat cars

It amazes me how people spend 10/20/30 plus grand on a car and then systematically destroy it ?

I am not **** about it but mine is kept clean and maintained, I do my wife's car as she is bad for this, the kids are in hers more as well and they wreck it.

People I know turn a brand new car into a heap inside 3 years, get a car with a Black interior and then put a Golden Retreiver on the seats or try traversing a "Not suitable for Motor Vehicles" road in a standard estate car resulting in a floorpan battered beyond recognition. Or running a BMW so low on oil the engine takes 4 litres to register on the dipstick whilst it makes interesting clunking noises. Perhaps get some parking sensors and still practice touch parking which was ok when cars had bumpers but not recommended on bumperless Audis. I reckon the manufacturers should lend them a car for a year and do away with all the normal destructive testing as nothing would test it like this lot, when evaluating their cars I add a nought to the mileage so 10k becomes 100k, like Dog vs Human years.

I worked with a girl who skinned herself to buy a basic Mini One and then treated it like crap, how does it make sense to scrimp to buy something and then devalue it by kerbing the wheels, scratching it, not servicing it and leaving *** burns in the seats ?

Saw a CLS AMG get bounced up a kerb yesterday near the kids school, 70 grand twatting a kerb, made me wince and how the tyre didnt burst I dont know !
Old 25 April 2008, 12:31 PM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have just described my snake

classic line the other day

"i want a newer car"

she has had this 97corsa for 6 months as a first car, and its constantly getting whacked up kerbs, tyres replaced due to kerb whacking and generally treat like **** 24/7

i drove it the other day and its pulling to the left

you get in the thing and have to climb over rubbish

what would be the point of getting a newer car?
Old 25 April 2008, 01:08 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

im with u on this one .

saw a woman drive into a parralell space in an 08 bmw 335 conv and bounce a brand new set of 19s off the 5 inch high kerb . made me cringe and made me think that some people just dont have a clue .

what did she think the big bang was i wonder .

i see alot of peple drive into parralell spaces instead of reversing in

and as a tyre shop owner it akes me lots of dirty cash ha ha ha

and they always go , dunno how that happened , yeah right the fist sized hole in the sidewall just appeared did it lol
Old 25 April 2008, 01:21 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Presume reps don't really care ?

Not as bad an example but the chap who owned our X trail before us obviously loved it.Had the paint Supaguarded,its been serviced on the dot.

Then its been obviously hammered by carwashes for the last 3 years.

Still can't get the scratches out (maybe I'm just a perfectionist on the cleaning front)
Old 25 April 2008, 01:38 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

ive seen red cars touched up with nail varnish
Old 25 April 2008, 01:38 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

i agree with this. about what one of you was saying with the woman who got a mini one. people think cars work like a computer or a tv, where you just buy it and thats that. it gets annoying. especially when seeing people with nicer cars than what i can afford but yet they treat them like utter ****e
Old 25 April 2008, 01:47 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
i agree with this. about what one of you was saying with the woman who got a mini one. people think cars work like a computer or a tv, where you just buy it and thats that. it gets annoying. especially when seeing people with nicer cars than what i can afford but yet they treat them like utter ****e

yeah, but think of it this way, the amount of money theyre wasting by devalueing their cars to such an extent, probably hinders their further expense later on in life.

my scoob is 9 years old (just) with nearly 140,000 miles (ok ok second engine and all that jazz), and i treat it like a queen.

i rub it down more than my fiancee. if i spend less than 3-4 hours washing it, i wont have washed/dried, waxed, sealed the wheels, polished exhaust sprayed the windows etc etc.

partially i think a lot of people these days have lost the meaning of the term, respect... and also the value of a pound.

silly old git next door has one of those vity rovers, 54 plate. washes the body with a combination of scouring pads from a sink and wheels brushes

"hmm, how comes your cars shinier than mine but older too?" is usually enough to send me inside in fots of laughter.

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2008, 01:47 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I couldnt care less to be honest. Its just a bit of metal. I can remember in years gone by that i would spend all day cleaning & polishing my car ......... **** that Lifes for living not cleaning a car. Pay a valeter or take it to a quick car wash.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
I couldnt care less to be honest. Its just a bit of metal. I can remember in years gone by that i would spend all day cleaning & polishing my car ......... **** that Lifes for living not cleaning a car. Pay a valeter or take it to a quick car wash.
fair does on the washing **** thing, can see your point. but what are your thoughts about servicing on time etc etc?

surely a car worth a few ££k is substancially devalued by poor servicing/housekeeping etc. unless an old work hack worth only a few bob.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:14 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
fair does on the washing **** thing, can see your point. but what are your thoughts about servicing on time etc etc?

surely a car worth a few ££k is substancially devalued by poor servicing/housekeeping etc. unless an old work hack worth only a few bob.
I run a fleet of workshops all equipped with upto date manufacturers diagnostic equipment, maintenance isnt an issue I wouldnt touch a vehicle that hasnt been serviced in line with manufacturers guidleines.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
I run a fleet of workshops all equipped with upto date manufacturers diagnostic equipment, maintenance isnt an issue I wouldnt touch a vehicle that hasnt been serviced in line with manufacturers guidleines.
fair point, from the first reply you made, i assumed you bought a car, and treated it with the same contempt as all the previous numpys mentioned above

can understand it though, some people are **** about cleaning etc, im inbetween really, but maintenence and servicing are more important in my eyes.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:36 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Clean cars go faster though (mine seems too)
Old 25 April 2008, 02:37 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

and i didnt know an electric cement mixer fitted into a bentley GT till one of our club members brought us one last summer plus his dogs have trashed the interior,what a waste.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've been rolling my eyes at people for over 20 years who get a new car and say, 'I'm gonna look after this one' The newness lasts about 3 weeks and then it's just another tool that gets used and abused whilst the fantasy of another shiny new car to 'look after' in a year or two starts to grow. People are inherently lazy and disrespectful, especially of material possessions. Wealth makes it worse ! I know a professional valeter who does his MD's wifes X5 every year, and it's the only clean it gets It is pure and simple arrogance IMHO. 15, 20, 30, 40 thousand pounds and more invested and no care whatsoever to keep it well. As a child I was taught to look after my things, and whilst my mates dropped their bikes on the floor, I stood mine against the wall or rested the pedal on the kerb. Whilst my mates wrecked them, I oiled my chain, set my brakes, adjusted my derailiers (sp?) and cleaned it. Whilst they pestered their parents for another Halfords £60 special every year, my bike lasted many until I eventually grew out of it, meaning I could have other gifts for successive Christmas's and birthdays I'm the same with cars now. Cleaned, protected, maintained and driven with mechanical sympathy (mostly ). It's not hard really ! I wash mine about every 3 weeks, and twice a year it is given a full 8 hour 'treatment' which sees it through. Every car I have ever sold on has achieved a good price due to its condition, thus paying me back for my time and the products, and the fact that I enjoy cleaning my car is just another bonus. I find disrespect unattractive in all its forms.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:47 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I think what people may be forgetting is that to the majority of people, their car is just a device to get them from A 2 B. It is usually the same crowd who take no pride in their own driving ability but will heavily criticise you with the 'w*nker sign' for making progress. They are also the same type of people who refer to something like an Astra 1.4 as being sporty, likewise they have little to no mechanical knowledge and need to be sold 'winter checks' by the likes of Quick Fit et al...

I could go on.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:52 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

since selling my scoob i'm not bothered my banger of a 306 gets treated like crap and loves it costs nothing to run repair and gets washed once a month at the polish hand wash,totally opposite to the constant washing of the subaru!...i miss the scooby, why are weddings so expensive??? doh
Old 25 April 2008, 03:22 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Im not interested in cars,
but i like it to look tidy and presentable, same with the house. as well.
Old 25 April 2008, 03:33 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I've been rolling my eyes at people for over 20 years who get a new car and say, 'I'm gonna look after this one' .
Make me smile that every time !! but you also forgot the classic of "if I had a decent car like yours then I would look after it "
yeah right can see that happening.

Just been out to look at a girls at works car to change a bulb - absolute tip inside, MC D wrappers, her kids clothes in the boot, sweet wrappers etc all over, two pairs of shoes, Dull paint, scratches etc.
Been to her house and its absolutely immaculate - really dont get it !

Richard
Old 25 April 2008, 03:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Make me smile that every time !! but you also forgot the classic of "if I had a decent car like yours then I would look after it "
yeah right can see that happening.

Just been out to look at a girls at works car to change a bulb - absolute tip inside, MC D wrappers, her kids clothes in the boot, sweet wrappers etc all over, two pairs of shoes, Dull paint, scratches etc.
Been to her house and its absolutely immaculate - really dont get it !

Richard

opposite here. house is a tip (according to mrs), while car is kept clean and tidy
Old 25 April 2008, 04:08 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

opposite here. house is a tip (according to mrs), while car is kept clean and tidy
Ah so who keeps the car clean and who does not clean the house ?

Richard
Old 25 April 2008, 04:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
Ah so who keeps the car clean and who does not clean the house ?

Richard
she keeps it clean alright, but i dont
Old 25 April 2008, 04:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I've been rolling my eyes at people for over 20 years who get a new car and say, 'I'm gonna look after this one' The newness lasts about 3 weeks and then it's just another tool that gets used and abused whilst the fantasy of another shiny new car to 'look after' in a year or two starts to grow. People are inherently lazy and disrespectful, especially of material possessions. Wealth makes it worse ! I know a professional valeter who does his MD's wifes X5 every year, and it's the only clean it gets It is pure and simple arrogance IMHO. 15, 20, 30, 40 thousand pounds and more invested and no care whatsoever to keep it well. As a child I was taught to look after my things, and whilst my mates dropped their bikes on the floor, I stood mine against the wall or rested the pedal on the kerb. Whilst my mates wrecked them, I oiled my chain, set my brakes, adjusted my derailiers (sp?) and cleaned it. Whilst they pestered their parents for another Halfords £60 special every year, my bike lasted many until I eventually grew out of it, meaning I could have other gifts for successive Christmas's and birthdays I'm the same with cars now. Cleaned, protected, maintained and driven with mechanical sympathy (mostly ). It's not hard really ! I wash mine about every 3 weeks, and twice a year it is given a full 8 hour 'treatment' which sees it through. Every car I have ever sold on has achieved a good price due to its condition, thus paying me back for my time and the products, and the fact that I enjoy cleaning my car is just another bonus. I find disrespect unattractive in all its forms.
I am with you on that CB, my bikes were hard won and looked after, one was a frame discarded by a local yobbo for the insurance, I got it painted proffesionally in Met Red, looked awesome, all put together with the best bits I could afford and then some **** decided to scratch it because it was outside the house of a girl he fancied !! never been so gutted .

I can honestly say none of my cars have looked worse when I sold them than when I bought them, more tired mechanically, definitely but they always look mint. I dont get **** like the detailing Freaks.

Its amazing how a clean and tidy older, less prestigous car can look better than a dirty and uncared for newer/ better one.

My main grips are wheels being crusted with black stuff and number plates where the film hs spearated letting dirt in, two things that really lift a car, nicely done wheels and new plates, just make sure you dont use aluminium paint and do the tyres as well, make sure that the plate is level otherwise dont bother.
Old 25 April 2008, 05:51 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna look after my next car
Old 25 April 2008, 05:55 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I always feel that a thin layer of crap over the paint has a protective effect. Drive your car don't give it an intimate weekly massage.
Old 25 April 2008, 06:43 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I never used to care how other people treated their cars.....thrashing them over speedbumps without slowing, kerbing, parking dings etc, but then, I cant afford a new car so it now annoys me when I see cars being mistreated as I always think...."It could be me buying that car in a year or two and look how they are treating it"

As an example....my grandpas Corolla....2 years old, 9k miles on the clock. He folded down the rear seats and used it for carrying his hairy alsation about. I inherited the car and look at the state of it.....
I lifted one half of the rear seat to see what it was like underneath...

It stank like nothing you could imagine and took me two whole days just to clean all the hair from the boot and rear seats.
Old 25 April 2008, 09:13 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
I never used to care how other people treated their cars.....thrashing them over speedbumps without slowing, kerbing, parking dings etc, but then, I cant afford a new car so it now annoys me when I see cars being mistreated as I always think...."It could be me buying that car in a year or two and look how they are treating it"

As an example....my grandpas Corolla....2 years old, 9k miles on the clock. He folded down the rear seats and used it for carrying his hairy alsation about. I inherited the car and look at the state of it.....
I lifted one half of the rear seat to see what it was like underneath...

It stank like nothing you could imagine and took me two whole days just to clean all the hair from the boot and rear seats.
Thats rank
have you got rid of the smell ? and how ?
i have been buying a few cars latley and one smells of dog but not as bad as yours im sure
Old 26 April 2008, 07:05 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

The hairs were all "woven" into the fibres of the fabrics and were well stuck into place. Vacuming do pretty much nothing. I went round a few valeters and they said to use a rubber brush.
I found the best way to get ris was a combination of just rubber gloves and rubbing it and using a rubber brush I got from a horse tack shop.

As for the smell, I tried febreeze, which worked a little, but couldnt shift th underlying smell 100%. At the time I was working in a garage where an autosmart rep would come round, he loaned me a "fogger" which is a wee metal box with a heater element and a fan in it. I bought a cartridge for it which is a tube of airfreshner pellets. Plug it in, shove it in the car and shut the doors. It fills up the interior with a kind of fog which removed all the nasty smells.
Old 26 April 2008, 10:18 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

As far as i,m concerned , My car is a work horse,

To & from work, trips to the dump, shopping, towing, family car for the kids.

it gets used and abused.

You try keeping a car uber clean with a five year old

it get serviced regularly, The body work may not be concours condition, and the interior needs a good vac out every 2 or three month,s ,

but it does the job it has to do.

if it goes to the supermarket and gets a parked anywhere

if it gets donked by a trolley, hey ho, its not going to kill it, and its not

going to affect its resale value in any way .

I curl up laughing everytime i see a supermarket carpark thread on here.

They moan like bu&&ery that there pride and joy got got a chip on a panel due to X or Y going past.

Yet 20 mins later there going warp speed down a motorway, letting all

manner of road debris pebble dash there front end and bonnets

At the end of the day, its their car, their money, and their choice.

I only change a car if i have to, i run them until either they become too

economical or they die of old age.

Mart
Old 26 April 2008, 10:38 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
As far as i,m concerned , My car is a work horse,
To & from work, trips to the dump, shopping, towing, family car for the kids.
it gets used and abused.
You try keeping a car uber clean with a five year old
it get serviced regularly, The body work may not be concours condition, and the interior needs a good vac out every 2 or three month,s ,
but it does the job it has to do.
if it goes to the supermarket and gets a parked anywhere
if it gets donked by a trolley, hey ho, its not going to kill it, and its not
going to yawn yawn bla bla... .
yadder yadder troll troll
At the end of the day, its their car, their money, and their choice.
I only change a blah blah blah...

Mart

here saved the site some bandwidth and everyone from your boring one sided antagonistic dribble
Old 26 April 2008, 11:51 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

here saved the site some bandwidth and everyone from your boring one sided antagonistic dribble
who let the troll out

are you trying to compete with pissy whilst he,s banned?

Mart

Quick Reply: How people treat cars