Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Do You Agree With The Smoking Ban In Public Areas e.g Pub Or Night Clubs!!
Yes
79.46%
No
16.07%
Dont care
4.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Agree With The Smoking Ban In Public Areas e.g Pub Or Night Clubs!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2008, 12:29 AM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Do You Agree With The Smoking Ban In Public Areas e.g Pub Or Night Clubs!!

Do You Agree With The Smoking Ban In Public Areas e.g Pub Or Night Clubs??

Yes

No

Dont Care
Old 25 April 2008, 12:29 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter.... I've got my bike outside
Old 25 April 2008, 12:33 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't really matter, as there is one. My views are split even as a smoker, but the ban is in place, and I don't think that's likely to change.
Old 25 April 2008, 12:39 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I think it's all getting a bit extreme now. We won't be able to go for a "quick one" round the corner soon
Old 25 April 2008, 12:44 AM
Cyril Robertson
Scooby Regular

Absolutely.

Smoking holds no place in todays society.

Finger the rotters !

Cyril.
Old 25 April 2008, 12:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a smoker and really do miss the days of beer in one hand and *** in the other while spouting ****e to my mates heavily under the influence
..........................it was however the right decision by the government i feel. I think smoking rooms should have been allowed though Ever since the ban has come into effect, the town where i live tends to be dead most weekends - whereas before it was always busy thurs, fri and sat. Maybe it's a coincidence???
Old 25 April 2008, 01:23 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Having worked in the licence trade- as a non-smoker- I've enjoyed it. It's given me problems at the same time. I've booted people and then barred them for trying to smoke - just so I avoided the associted fines with allowing them to smoke, but I still understand why people do want to smoke.

Having only just left the industry, I know that it is not just the smoking ban that is affecting the trade.

The major threats are pretty obvious:

Off-licence trade: 4 pints of Carling (canned) at Tesco costs roughly £4. In a pub ot will be more than double that (the argument of draught or canned being better I will not go in to).

Smoking: Since smoking has been banned, any licensee who allows smoking in the premises, the licensee is liable to fines. This is why any licence holder, being DPS or just PLH, will strive to stop it happening. £80 per smoker (first offence) out of your wages is too much for you to allow it to go on.

Economy: with the credit crunch hitting, then it makes sense that going out drinking will suffer. Thus, the people who are going out drinming that do smoke are less willing to pay over the odds for cigarettes in the vending machines which generally carry a 30% mark up.£7 for under 20 cannot be much fun.

It's all fun...

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 25 April 2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:42 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

This ban in part helped me to quit smoking, and for that I am glad, however I am still opposed to this ban even now.

I feel that it should have been left to landlords, with incentives for pubs to go no smoking, and pubs that continued to allow it had to have proper extraction systems/air con fitted.

Some pubs would have gone smoke free, some inevitably wouldn't, but with a system such as this then people have a choice... non-smokers don't HAVE to go into a smoking environment, unless they choose to and vice versa.

As it is there is no real choice for smokers now other than abstention from one thing or the other, which personally I feel is a bit unfair.
Old 25 April 2008, 02:00 AM
Freak
Scooby Regular

As someone who works in nightclubs and has had to put up with the stinking smoke for years, yes, absolutely.
I was used to it in NYC for some time before it was introduced in the Uk, much preferred it, and still do.

Smoking ban has naff all to do with nightlife being affected in the uk either.
Old 25 April 2008, 06:43 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Yes I agree, much nicer when I go out now, dont come home stinking of smoke.
Old 25 April 2008, 08:15 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Personally I think that ban isnt the best idea in the world. Okay its nicer to go in the pub these days but my local is almost empty because of it, even on a friday/saturday night there is only a third of the people in there there used to be.

Plus I really hate all the no smoking signs everywhere, in my mind they make everything cheap and tacky.

They should have given pubs and bars a choice, Smoking or no smoking. That way the punters have a choice and the owners/operators have a choice. A sign is displayed on the door, which says Smoke/no smoke.

What I also think is distrubing now is the amount of cigarette butts outside pubs/cafes and even the local council offices!

But all the above is just hot air as there is nothing the government are going to do about it, they've got their way now and there wont be any reverse of this discission.

btw I dont smoke!
Old 25 April 2008, 08:44 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Yes.

As an ex smoker I think it is much much better.
Old 25 April 2008, 08:44 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Our band can now play in a boozer and the next day I don't feel like I've smoked 20 myself .........eyes don't sting, hair and clothes aren't smelling awful too ....

Result

PS The only downside is most of your pubs will eventually close, personally don't believe the fudged figures up here in Scotland as you only have to look around you at all the licensed premises closing down, combine dwith the increase in booze prices, it looks pretty grim
Old 25 April 2008, 09:04 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ITs certainly refreshing not to have clothes reeking of smoke the next morning ( even tho it did disappear over teh day ) my being poor and having to wear the same clothes

Probably dont go to the pub often enuff to actaul have the snd hand smoke draw me to an early grave tho
Old 25 April 2008, 09:12 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I haven't noticed the pubs being any more empty on a Friday/Saturday night. But then Brighton is packed year round. Even if I go out in Worthing on weekend, theres still a fair few people out.
Old 25 April 2008, 09:17 AM
Ghetto Dude3
Scooby Regular

probably find that the next few generation of people dont even bother taking up smoking as there is no real point?

will probably help the uk longterm in a nation of non puffers
Old 25 April 2008, 09:34 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I'm glad they did it as I packed in last March, although I still am not in favour of things being banned when a compromise can be made.

It has severely affected the pubs up here in the sticks though, our once rammed local on Friday/Saturday which used to open to about midnight and was a great place to be is now empty at the weekends and closes early

The other village pubs are the same as well
Old 25 April 2008, 09:35 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ghetto Dude3
probably find that the next few generation of people dont even bother taking up smoking as there is no real point?

will probably help the uk longterm in a nation of non puffers
Anything that makes it harder for people to take up smoking has to be a good thing.
Old 25 April 2008, 10:27 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Anything that makes it harder for people to take up smoking has to be a good thing.
Agreed, however I can see why current smokers aren't happy being caught up in the transitional period. However for the stupid easily influenced youngsters thinking of starting up, they only have themselves to blame - I should know, 2 decades ago I was one of them
Old 25 April 2008, 10:47 AM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

I'm a smoker (20 a day) and welcome the ban in pubs. Was a bit dubious and a bit "How very dare they " at first but having just gone through the first Winter and not finding it too chilly outside I'm all for it. Summer speaks for itself.

Like others I find the farts, body odour and and lav cleaning product smells a bit offputting but hey, so what?

It's got to be a good thing in the long run. I and many others (whether they admit it or not) would never have started as a nipper if I'd known what I know now so anything that helps/makes you cut down even fractionally has to be a good thing.

I can't really agree with the arument that 'smokers have no choice but to go outside for a *** whereas non smokers don't HAVE to come in in the first place' as 'the outside' is a pretty big place and inside is generally a bit small.

Stinging eyes is a thing of the past too (unless as inevitably hapens, you get it in your eyes when lighting up! Funny how you never get used to it even after 20 years eh?)
Old 25 April 2008, 11:00 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

YES

As a non-smoker it is a pleasure to now eat in a pub without a face full of smoke at the same time. The amount of times I've wanted to push someone face into the wall when they inform me they "have a right to smoke" when me as a non-smoker have no rights when it comes to not breathing in second hand smoke.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:11 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Your clothes may not smell of smoke any more after a night out, but having to spend the night in a half empty pub that stinks of pi55, stale beer and sickly air fresheners hardly makes up for it to me.

I can understand the ban in places that serve food, as you dont want someone smoking near you while eating, but I cant understand why they didnt just have smoking and non-smoking bars in pubs, and put decent air conditioning in the smoking room ?

I think it will be fine once they ban being drunk, being a ***, being fat and not covering it with enough clothes, having really bad taste in music and hogging the jukebox all night etc....
Old 25 April 2008, 11:29 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Thing is, the smells of stale beer, BO, farts etc aren't harmful. Second hand smoke, is.
Old 25 April 2008, 11:32 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The worst thing is the sight of all the smoke addicts stood in pub doorways chuffing on their **** while sheltering from the cold wind/rain.... that alone would make me want to give up if I smoked....
Old 25 April 2008, 12:32 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

As someone who recently gave up smoking, I'm glad you can't smoke in pubs now. I hated the ban when it came in - more for the way they railroaded a draconian ban than for the principle.

There are some unfortunate, hopefully short term, downsides to the ban:

Many pubs are showing a downturn in business causing a small amount to close. Many nightclubs are struggling too.

Also, domestic violence is increasing and children being exposed to smoke is increasing.

Edited to add:

A while ago, I was in a pub when someone absent mindedly lit up. Even though they only had a couple of puffs before realising and heading out of a nearby door, the whole pub stank for some time of smoke. It seems incredible to think we all put up with hundreds of cigarettes being smoked each evening for as long as we have.

Last edited by Jerome; 25 April 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 25 April 2008, 12:59 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i think the smoking ban in restaurants , public places etc is good but i disagree with it in pubs .

1. its a pub where smoking and drinking have gone together hand in hand since forever.
2. a pub is a place to go to socialize (get away from the missus) and unwind , which in my case is a pint and a smoke cause i cant smoke at home in the house (like quite alot of peolpe)

i think the non smoking sections in the pubs worked fine before and tbh if u dont like to be in a smokey pub ,dont go to a pub ffs , what do u think is going to be going on in a pub.

pissed me off before when u used to hear people going , its to smokey in here . its a fooking pub ffs if u dont like it , do one

i reckon they should bring back a law that u can smoke in pubs but have a section for nonsmokers (like before) but make the ventilation better. or have smoking and non smoking pubs . then its ur choice .

restaurants etc keep the ban in place.

rant over

Last edited by M444GY; 25 April 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:03 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

what I dont agree with is Boris Johnson going on record saying he wants to look into london boroughs being able to have a referendum on the smoking ban so some pubs and clubs can become smoking pubs again.

surely he cant change the law? if so would he have a referendum on whether other illegal activities are allowed in london boroughs.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:11 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I forgot about the stale **** smell - we went to our local that I mentioned earlier for lunch on Thursday and it did indeed smell of **** when we walked in which wasn't that nice when we were going to eat.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
i think the smoking ban in restaurants , public places etc is good but i disagree with it in pubs .

1. its a pub where smoking and drinking have gone together hand in hand since forever.
2. a pub is a place to go to socialize (get away from the missus) and unwind , which in my case is a pint and a smoke cause i cant smoke at home in the house (like quite alot of peolpe)

i think the non smoking sections in the pubs worked fine before and tbh if u dont like to be in a smokey pub ,dont go to a pub ffs , what do u think is going to be going on in a pub.

pissed me off before when u used to hear people going , its to smokey in here . its a fooking pub ffs if u dont like it , do one

i reckon they should bring back a law that u can smoke in pubs but have a section for nonsmokers (like before) but make the ventilation better. or have smoking and non smoking pubs . then its ur choice .

restaurants etc keep the ban in place.

rant over
Typical selfish attitude of a smoker who's happy to have everyone else stinking like a tramp.
Old 25 April 2008, 01:31 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

being one of two non smokers out of my main circle of mates i think it is a pain, whenever i go out i will have to go where they go any way, so in a club if they go for a smoke outside i have to go aswell, so id rather people have the choice and as some one said, it should be down to the pubs/clubs choice.

Quick Reply: Do You Agree With The Smoking Ban In Public Areas e.g Pub Or Night Clubs!!