Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Charlie Bronson (not the actor)

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 11:19 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charlie Bronson (not the actor)

Just finished working on a film about britains most "notorious prisoner" the bloke got done for armed robbery and got 7 years, but ended up being inside for nearly 30 years and doing 26 of that in solitary.
I'd heard the name before and always assumed he was a psycotic, murderer or something, but it turns out that apart from hostage taking in prison and a lot of fights that he's never actually killed anyone and the chances are that he'll never be released. He's now a proclaimed artist and author.
not really a question, but I've had a few beers and thought it'd be good to get peoples thoughts on him
Old 23 April 2008, 11:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Lass works in the Prison service and met the geezer. I'll see if she'll share her thoughts
Old 23 April 2008, 11:44 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

That'll be interesting to hear. I wish I'd been able to meet him. Making the film has cleared my views on who I thought he was
Old 24 April 2008, 12:49 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

i've read quite a bit about the guy through other peoples books, articles etc so obviously i can only go off that but from what i have read its a feckin' disgrace keeping him locked up for that long.

Unfortunately if released i suspect he'd be back in because the solitary confinement would have sent him mad and the circus that would surround him would be unbearable.

sad really
Old 24 April 2008, 12:54 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Reminds me of the guy I met in Alcatraz a few years back, one of the last prisoners to leave the island (last 30 I think) before it finally closed down as a penitentiary

I read his book and he had spent some 30 years in prisons ending up in Alcatraz, and it all started when he was at school at bit his teachers leg (I guess giving the true meaning to ankle biters ) and pretty much only ended up in Alcatraz due to constantly escaping from every institution he was locked up in, from being a young boy
Old 24 April 2008, 02:21 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
Just finished working on a film about britains most "notorious prisoner"
What did you do I know a few people involved in that film ?
Old 24 April 2008, 08:41 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

If you want parole, it's probably best not to call yourself "The most violent prisoner in Britain".

I wouldn't say that to his face though, as he is probably about the hardest man in the world. Being in solitary all day doing press ups is going to have an effect.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2008, 09:23 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadGrip
Just finished working on a film about britains most "notorious prisoner" the bloke got done for armed robbery and got 7 years, but ended up being inside for nearly 30 years and doing 26 of that in solitary.
I'd heard the name before and always assumed he was a psycotic, murderer or something, but it turns out that apart from hostage taking in prison and a lot of fights that he's never actually killed anyone and the chances are that he'll never be released. He's now a proclaimed artist and author.
not really a question, but I've had a few beers and thought it'd be good to get peoples thoughts on him
I think I once read that he had the world record for the most amount of sit ups and press ups, not sure how true that was.
Old 24 April 2008, 09:38 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm familiar with him, read all of his books. Would love to see the film.
He seems misunderstood. I remember reading once that when he did get let out for a short while, he didn't like it and felt paranoid.
Who plays him in the film? Whens it due out?
Old 24 April 2008, 12:14 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

I've just finished his book and I think he's his own worst enemy, he'd seem to settle somewhere and be relatively happy, then someone would upset him (ie give him a funny look) and he'd go absolutely ballistic and smash the place or person up and on other occasions took a hostage for the hell of it!! He needs to learn how to control himself!
Old 24 April 2008, 12:20 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Anyone who can take a guard hostage and threaten to eat him (and mean it!) gets my vote!

The guy is quite a talented artist and deep thinker but has a seriously flawed character/temper so will probably never get out sadly.
Old 24 April 2008, 12:23 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

YouTube - free charles bronson
sounds like he enjoys him self though!
Old 24 April 2008, 12:28 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Isn't it ironic that prisoners like Bronson seem to have the respect of the scoobynet gestalt while it generally goes off on one about 'scum criminals' and 'soft punishments'?
The schizoid personality of the average lumpen and vapid UK prole fascinates me. Is it something to do with their social programming perhaps?

It's sort of like the way they cry 'burn the paedophile' while getting off on watching Britney dressed up like a schoolgirl.

Please carry on...........
Old 24 April 2008, 12:30 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Lumpen and vapid? Loving your work. lol
Old 24 April 2008, 12:42 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Isn't it ironic that prisoners like Bronson seem to have the respect of the scoobynet gestalt while it generally goes off on one about 'scum criminals' and 'soft punishments'?
The schizoid personality of the average lumpen and vapid UK prole fascinates me. Is it something to do with their social programming perhaps?

It's sort of like the way they cry 'burn the paedophile' while getting off on watching Britney dressed up like a schoolgirl.

Never a truer word spoken
Old 24 April 2008, 01:12 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

So he gets let out, only has to lose it on one occasion, ends up killing someone and so all the fingers would be pointing as his record ain't so clever. Not worth the risk releasing him IMHO.
Old 24 April 2008, 04:12 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO

too true.

Perhaps the courts system should be completely scrapped, with instead every case being posted on NSR for a verdict and sentencing.
Old 24 April 2008, 04:45 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Not worth the risk releasing him IMHO.
If only for the safety of our nations cows....

Reputedly the "hardest man" in Britain, Bronson once claimed to have knocked a Cow out in 1 punch. : wikipedia
Old 24 April 2008, 05:15 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

As for his art, if you actually looked you'd see it's a load of crap, looks like a child drew it. He's only known for his work because it 'looks into the mind of a psycho'.
Old 24 April 2008, 05:40 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with NACRO.
A case of SN collective cognitive dissonance methinks.
Old 24 April 2008, 07:14 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

if i was in a pub and he walked in ,id be out the first exit ,theres enuf nutters out there allready
Old 24 April 2008, 07:31 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Isnt Tom Hardy playing him in the film ?
Old 24 April 2008, 07:32 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Oh and Phil, why isnt your picture on IMDB ?
Old 24 April 2008, 08:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a fascination with celebrity criminals, that Dave Courtney, The Krays (they loved their movver, gawd bless em) and Leslie Grantham who's murder of Taxi driver didnt really hamper his career, that was his acting.

Charles Bronson is a nutter, a violent nutter who hurts people and takes hostages, he was in for robbery and then has made it his business never to get released, ok he does some painting and writing so there must be some spare time in between causing aggro, he has converted to Islam but how that fits with the violence I dont know as Islam is a peaceful religion.

Because we have read about him in FHM and he doesn't sound that mental, in fact fairly sane and reasonable i doesn't mean he is our mate, he isnt a lovable old loony in the pub who will dance for a pint, grade A nutcase ready to smash your face in.

Dave Courtney as well, what a ****, what real criminal goes on telly and in print bragging about murder and robbery, there is no way he is for real, he would have been offed by now as proper villains dont want someone like that shouting about such matters, I suspect he spent some time with real criminals and got his stories mixed up.
Old 24 April 2008, 09:55 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

lots of different opinions there. From making the movie, I agree he is somewhat disturbed, but come on.. 26 years solitary !!! surely thats something you would have thought that the human rights brigade would've been on to. I'm inpartial in the question of his release, but think its a bit extreme.

Sonic, never got round to putting a picture up & not sure if I want to. Yes its Tom Hardy who playsCharlie, I've never been one to get struck on actors, but his performance is amazing, well worthy of any award we mite get nominated for
Old 24 April 2008, 10:47 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

I've got 2 of his books, makes for interesting reading!
Old 24 April 2008, 11:23 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

He is in Milton Keynes isn't he?
Old 25 April 2008, 12:15 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Can't say I've heard of Tom Hardy TBH. but he looks pretty mean and has obvoulsy bulked up for the role (seen a picture of him on IMDB before): Free Charles Bronson | News | TOM HARDY EXCLUSIVE

MadGrip, what kind of part do you play or are you production or something?
Old 25 April 2008, 07:22 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

He's in Wakefield ( if you mean CB) and Joey, my user name gives it away a bit, I'm a Key Grip
Old 25 April 2008, 08:13 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Ah Ok. Not that I would have known what Key Grip, or any Grip would have done, until I just looked it up

I fancy being an extra or something in film or TV, whats the best way to go about it?

Quick Reply: Charlie Bronson (not the actor)