Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pigeon Problems

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 09:02 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pigeon Problems

My parents own a plant nursery and are having problems with pigeons eating their stock and just being a general nuisance.

My dad wants an airgun to get rid of a few.

Any recommendations?

Ta
Old 23 April 2008, 09:20 PM
boiledshrimpnbutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by a shotgun, decoys and some cartridges,

set yourself up in the corner of a field late afternoon, hide in some trees, and set the decoys out in the plants, with wind on your back, they will come into land towards you,
Old 23 April 2008, 10:40 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

I've got a Weirauch 97k with scope, case and gun lamp it you are interested?
Old 23 April 2008, 10:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Put grain down, get a few round then let them have it, silly sods come back a bit later and eat whilst their mates are still dead on the floor.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:44 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Varboy
I've got a Weirauch 97k with scope, case and gun lamp it you are interested?
PM a price please
Old 23 April 2008, 10:45 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

They often cookle down my chimney. They're so quiet trotting around and often make me jump when I'm outside and make a sudden move then they flap off! I think you folks know what I mean.
Lazy horrid creatures!

Nick
Old 23 April 2008, 10:48 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Can they get one of those machines which go off with a bang every so often?

or is there someone who keeps a falcon in your parents area?? they are good for scaring away the dirty flying rats.. i saw a programme with one once, where they had a pigeon problem and it was very effective

Last edited by little-ginge; 23 April 2008 at 10:51 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 24 April 2008, 12:32 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

rats with wings hate the things.

Had a similar sort of problem. The woman from next door insisted on placing every particle of food waste in the middle of the garden too feed the birds.

Majority of them were pigeons. Used too see them all lining along the roods of the houses and along the fences when she was due too put some out. It was like a scene from Hitchcocks, The Birds.

Couldnt put washing out because it just got covered in s***e, same with the car constantly covered in the stuff. Couldnt even sit in the garden during the summer for it.

Anyway a wile back a bird appearered in the garden. Just sitting on the fence, it didnt seem phased about us going in the garden and didnt flinch when the dog was running about. We noticed it had straps hanging down from its feet so assumed it was a captive bird that had escaped. I know the bloke around the corner had a few birds and was keen on his falconry so i went and asked if it was one of his, he knew what and whos it was straight away so he he rang his m8 and he came round too get it. It flew straight too his arm when he walked out the patio doors, scared crap outta me thought i was going too get attacked.

Forgot the exact name but it was some kind of buzard that got away as he was training it on the fields round the back of my house.

Had a bit chat with them and he thanked us for helping him get it back. It came up about the food from next door, or the birds swarming it must have attracted it. Me dad said it was a nuicance and had a bit of a moan.

So he said he would help sort it. He came back a few days later with a perch and another bird. Just stuck it in the middle of the garden and left it for a few hours.

He did the same every couple of days for the next few weeks, leaving the bird and going home before collecting it a few hours later.

It worked a treat no pigeons or anything came near. I think the woman from next door got the hint and stopped putting food out so it worked for us.

Not sure how well it would work for your parents if you could get some one too do similar, as the thing attracting them will still be there.

How about a good old fasioned scare crow

wish the bloke had a nice big golden eagle or condor too get rid of the pesky cats that insist on digging the garden up and sitting on the roof of the car.
Old 24 April 2008, 10:25 AM
Zola-the-master
Scooby Regular

If you are local to me, I can come and remove a few for ya.
Old 24 April 2008, 10:25 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Dont tar all pigeons with the same brush! There are two kinds:

Scabby town and racing pigeons that make all the mess and scavenge about the place:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...geons.span.jpg

Bigger wood pigeons that live in trees and generally dont hang about streets and roof tops looking for scraps. These are the ones that you can hear cooing (sp) for miles.

http://www.amhlung.org.uk/Wood%20pigeon.jpg
Old 24 April 2008, 10:39 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobLou
My parents own a plant nursery and are having problems with pigeons eating their stock and just being a general nuisance.

My dad wants an airgun to get rid of a few.

Any recommendations?

Ta
Would a small dog be the answer? Our little Spaniel won't let a pigeon land in our garden. But they were bred to flush out birds for shoots so maybe that's why.

One day she's going to catch one

dl
Old 24 April 2008, 10:46 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Would a small dog be the answer? Our little Spaniel won't let a pigeon land in our garden. But they were bred to flush out birds for shoots so maybe that's why.

One day she's going to catch one

dl

Yeah Bessie the dog they have used to do it but she now 15 so too old for all that now.

I know they won't get another dog especially not a small dog, so thats out.

Anyone got any websites where they can get an airgun to have ago at getting rid of some? They really can't afford for their stock to be eaten
Old 24 April 2008, 10:48 AM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Gas them like badgers!
Old 24 April 2008, 10:55 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy

Scabby town and racing pigeons that make all the mess and scavenge about the place:

Bigger wood pigeons that live in trees and generally dont hang about streets and roof tops looking for scraps. These are the ones that you can hear cooing (sp) for miles.

Agreed

We have a few Wood Pigeons that visit out garden. Think they have made a nest in some huge conifers at the end of the garden of a house a few doors down. They don't do any harm or make any mess. We do feed them stale bread, they are fat and lazy too but I like having them around.

Heard they're good eating though, could be tempted to have a small scale cull one day
Old 24 April 2008, 10:58 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Agreed

We have a few Wood Pigeons that visit out garden. Think they have made a nest in some huge conifers at the end of the garden of a house a few doors down. They don't do any harm or make any mess. We do feed them stale bread, they are fat and lazy too but I like having them around.

Heard they're good eating though, could be tempted to have a small scale cull one day
These are probably wood pigeons as they live out in the sticks. They may not do any harm to you but then you don't own a plant nursery

The plan is to shoot them, pluck em and cook em for the dog
Old 24 April 2008, 11:04 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

These are probably wood pigeons as they live out in the sticks. They may not do any harm to you but then you don't own a plant nursery

The plan is to shoot them, pluck em and cook em for the dog
True

Have they thought about netting over the plants?

That said the dog food plan is fair enough though I'd be tempted to try them out for myself: BBC Food - Recipes
Old 24 April 2008, 11:10 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
True

Have they thought about netting over the plants?

That said the dog food plan is fair enough though I'd be tempted to try them out for myself: BBC Food - Recipes
They did considering doing that but there was a reason as to why not but I can't remember what they said!

My parents don't eat meat but I do so would give it ago!
Old 24 April 2008, 12:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We have Wood Pigeons in our Garden, they are lovely, bit fat *******, you can throw anything out and they will have a go, as an experient a stale Tesco Jam doughnut, they ate the lot and watching them take off was like watching an overladen 747 on a short runway. The sound is so restful.

Maybe posh areas get Wood pigeons and trampy town centres get streeters, so its based on how much council tax you pay !
Old 24 April 2008, 12:38 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Get someone to bring some sort of falcon or other bird of prey down - you won't see the pigeons for dust !!
Old 24 April 2008, 12:42 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe posh areas get Wood pigeons and trampy town centres get streeters, so its based on how much council tax you pay !
There's probably an element of truth in that. Town centres and council estates tend not to have too many trees, so you dont get many wood pigeons about.

Townies on the other hand go anywhere that they can scavenge for food.

I like the wood pigeons aswell, though I wasn't too impressed with 2 of them that were ******** on a tree branch outside our window yesterday!
Old 24 April 2008, 12:46 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yeah Bessie the dog they have used to do it but she now 15 so too old for all that now.

I know they won't get another dog especially not a small dog, so thats out.

Anyone got any websites where they can get an airgun to have ago at getting rid of some? They really can't afford for their stock to be eaten

If you put a post on here AirgunBBS.com - The #1 airgun, shooting and outdoor sports BBS you will get 100's of replies. If you ask for proof of Basc or Basa insurance that will deter the most of the unwanteds.

Or if you PM me your location I'll see if I know anyone in that reigon to get incontact with.
Old 24 April 2008, 12:48 PM
boiledshrimpnbutter
Scooby Regular

They did considering doing that but there was a reason as to why not but I can't remember what they said!

My parents don't eat meat but I do so would give it ago!
wood pigeons can be quite destructive in big numbers, which they get too in rural areas, !!!
i get a few in the back garden, they are ok as the numbers are small , same with the collared doves, although there numbers are kept in check by a sparrow hawk
you need a shotgun and decoys
wood pigeon is tasty , but you'll need a few to make a meal, when plucked they're half the size you see walking about

the towny flying rats are horrible, used to shoot into the flocks and down about 10 at a time full of desease
Old 24 April 2008, 01:45 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
We have Wood Pigeons in our Garden, they are lovely, bit fat *******, you can throw anything out and they will have a go, as an experient a stale Tesco Jam doughnut, they ate the lot and watching them take off was like watching an overladen 747 on a short runway. The sound is so restful.

I concur
Old 24 April 2008, 01:47 PM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

You want one of these

Old 24 April 2008, 04:15 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Townies on the other hand go anywhere that they can scavenge for food.

!
True.You see the ones round here chomping on the vomit left by revellers the night before.

It's bad enough seeing sick in the street without watching pigeons eat it.

(as you can tell,I don't work in Knightsbridge.Think their pigeons use a knife and fork)
Old 24 April 2008, 05:23 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I'm lucky (I think) to live in a rural location and get the following visiting our garden..

House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Wood Pigeons, Collard Doves, Pheasants, Blackbirds, Great ****, Blue ****, Long Tailed ****, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk.

Old 24 April 2008, 05:43 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Nimbus
I'm lucky (I think) to live in a rural location and get the following visiting our garden..

House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Wood Pigeons, Collard Doves, Pheasants, Blackbirds, Great ****, Blue ****, Long Tailed ****, Pied Wagtail, Wren, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Robin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk.

In that particular order?
Old 25 April 2008, 08:26 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
In that particular order?

The pecking order maybe
Old 25 April 2008, 01:23 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Plenty of wood pigeons around here and most of them end up on the menu in the pubs and resturants.
So very tasty

As for the OP.. Lion/Tiger/ any big cat shi'ite.
scatter it around and you'll get no more birds.
If you have a Zoo nearby you should be able to get it for free (if they keep Lions, obviously).