Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Golf - As in sport

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 02:46 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf - As in sport

Going to have a go at this as i've given up the 5 a side. got my first lesson this evening. Any tips for a complete novice?
Old 23 April 2008, 02:49 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Go through the ball smoothly, don't try and hammer it! and keep your eye on the ball, if you don't and look up as you hit the ball will shoot off track.

Thats all i know
Old 23 April 2008, 02:52 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Keep your head down, even after you've hit the ball. One of the most common mistakes is to look to see where it's gone as soon as you hit it.

Don't try to hit it too hard.

If you're at a driving range, don't be tempted to retrieve the ***** that only go 10 yards!
Old 23 April 2008, 02:58 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

What do they say about great minds again?

If you lift your head you will probably find the ball goes along the floor.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:07 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I thought I'd take up golf a few years back. Had some group lessons at the local driving range, very useful as it taught me the basics.

Best advice I can give is to start slowly, don't expect to be hitting the ball hundreds of yards with a driver after your first few swings. Try a fairly open faced iron first, e.g. something from a 7 to a wedge. Practice chipping and as you get better at that start swinging the club further back for longer shots until it's above waist high (half swing). The your ready to try a few full swings, don't swing it too far back otherwise you'll be off balance.

It's a very frustrating game (probably why I don't play any more!) and the only way to get good at it is practice, practice, and more practice. Even the pros have to play quite a few rounds a week to keep their eye in.

Oh and the driving range is one thing (great for practice) but out on the course it's a completely different matter as other than off the tee the ground is never level and you'll have hit it into the rough or bunker making the shot harder still.

Enjoy
Old 23 April 2008, 03:09 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

For your first lesson dont expect too much for your shot making ability.

Dont be nervous or self conscious, everyone learns and everyone at all standards hits a dodgy shot.

Tonight will probably just go through, grip and posture, with the basics of the swing so that you can start cracking that ball.

I guarentee you might only hit a handfull of shots that you would be pleased with, but it will only take one to make you come back for more.

What you learn as the basics will remain important throught your game as you become better. If your allignment is off now or in 10 years time you will know about it.

Have fun, let us know how it goes.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:09 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I have to say I've always found the driving range quite mind numbing, I would advise a couple of lessons then just go and play, you'll soon be hooked!
Old 23 April 2008, 03:13 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

As above, try to keep your eyes fixed on the ground where your ball is / was, even after you've hit it.... and most importantly, go for a smooth backswing and stroke and I guarantee you will hit it a lot further / straighter / higher than if you try to split the ball in half. I try to deliberately slow my back swing right down and find it promotes much better accuracy on contact.

Also, try to keep your weight on the ***** of your feet (i.e. leaning sligtly forward), more weight on the back foot (to try to encourage a bit of trajectory), when you address the ball make sure your hands aren't miles from your waist area, and hit throught the ball without rolling your wrists!!

Easy really
Old 23 April 2008, 03:16 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

My only word of advice is it's not as easy as it looks!
I played with a guy I used to work with on Saturday who has also been playing over a year; par was 72, he went round in 214! He has a handicap of 142! I bet for every shot he took, he missed 5 too!
Old 23 April 2008, 03:18 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Watch the film Happy Gilmore, he'll give you all the tips you need
Old 23 April 2008, 03:19 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

My main tip is if you get the hand of it you'll love it so please dont get fustrated if you start to struggle, it'll only make the learning process fustrating and you'll probably give up. Just think of all them summer evenings we are due
Old 23 April 2008, 03:36 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the thread hijack, but golf is something that i am thinking about taking up. I've played rugby for years and just had an op to rebuild a snapped ACL. My worry is that that the knee movement during a swing would cause a pile of trouble over time.

Anyone in the same position?
Old 23 April 2008, 03:39 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

I have taken tomorrow off to play

This wont really be applicable to you now, but if you get the bug please bear this in mind.

Any monkey can crush the ball miles off the tee, its the people who are good from the last 100 yards in that shoot low scores.

Have fun!
Old 23 April 2008, 03:41 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob878
Sorry for the thread hijack, but golf is something that i am thinking about taking up. I've played rugby for years and just had an op to rebuild a snapped ACL. My worry is that that the knee movement during a swing would cause a pile of trouble over time.

Anyone in the same position?
I'd suggest speaking with a doctor before making the transition. In theory I know people that have had their ACL rebuilt and can play fine.

If you start lessons, make sure this is clear to the teaching pro beforehand as the positions your body will get in when trying to hit a golf ball can be different and put stress on all new parts!
Old 23 April 2008, 03:48 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Any monkey can crush the ball miles off the tee, its the people who are good from the last 100 yards in that shoot low scores.
So true! That's where i'm not very good.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

It's all about rhythm and balance, not power. You;ll hit it much further and straighter, the less harder you try to hit it (to a degree obviously!).

It's not an easy game to master, don't get frustrated, perservere.

As for keeping your head down, this is very dodgy advice to a point! People are obsessed with 'keeping you head down' or 'keeping your head still' NO! NO! NO!

Your swing is a beautiful, harmonious thing and that includes your head. It should stay in 'generally' the same position right through contact, and you shouldn't be looking for the ball the second you hit it, but as you start to follow through, it naturally starts to come up, as indeed it must or you won't be able to complete your swing and do your neck and injury. I've seen so many people struggling because they are concentrating on keeping their head down. It really isn't that important. A good rhythm is the important thing, and a good follow through can only be achieved by a good swing. In theory, you should be able to hit the ball without looking at it.

Worry about making a good swing, your head will be just fine.

Geezer
Old 23 April 2008, 03:52 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest speaking with a doctor before making the transition. In theory I know people that have had their ACL rebuilt and can play fine.

If you start lessons, make sure this is clear to the teaching pro beforehand as the positions your body will get in when trying to hit a golf ball can be different and put stress on all new parts!
Thanks i was going to have a word with my surgeon, but it's nice to know if people normal people can play golf etc after an ACL rebuild. Obviously people like Alan Shearer can but then again if they get re-injured they don't have the concern about still being able to work.
Old 23 April 2008, 03:55 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Agreed with that, didnt want to argue it when everyones banging on about keeping the head down, its keeping your back down, just twist your spine dont lift it. When you lift your spin you'll ruin the original swing position and end up "topping" the ball and then you'll get a grass cutter.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:22 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Will be there in an hour although have played on a range i'm going to go in like a newbie and soak up the advice.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:24 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

1 good reason why golf is a fantastic sport.....

nataliegulbis.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 23 April 2008, 04:27 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

rob878 - Tiger Woods has just had more surgery on his knee - problems with his ACL, but not sure he's actually had to have it rebuilt.

Geezer's advice is good, especially about the head down bit. Anyone with good hand/eye co-ordination can become a decent golfer, but it can be addictive and frustrating, because however good you get you will never be satisfied!

The secret to long hitting is high clubhead speed allied to a balanced swing and a good set-up - you wouldn't believe the amount of people who hit it like a wuss and then wonder why the ball hardly goes anywhere.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

1 good reason why golf is a fantastic sport.....

nataliegulbis.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Many more nice pics if you google the name
Old 23 April 2008, 04:29 PM
ChrisB

My tip would be watch for out players like me. My swing is so good that I once managed to hit a ball into the underside of the driving range roof (ie it went vertical).

A frustrating and addictive (in equal measures) pastime.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:30 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Little tips.

(i) When playing a shot turn your head to look at the ball with your left eye (assuming you are playing right handed) THis will discourage you from looking up before you follow through.

(ii)Imagine there is a tea towel under your right armpit when swinign the club (assuming you are playing right handed) this will encourage you to keep your elbow in tight to the body.

(iii)When holding the club, don't be tempting to start with an interlocking grip as onece you start down this path it is very difficult to break out of the habit - have an overlapping grip and hold the club firmyl, but no tighter than if you were holding a tube of toothpaste without the toothpaste coming out the end.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:33 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

(iii)When holding the club, don't be tempting to start with an interlocking grip as onece you start down this path it is very difficult to break out of the habit - have an overlapping grip and hold the club firmyl, but no tighter than if you were holding a tube of toothpaste without the toothpaste coming out the end.
Just out of interest Pete, this last bit about the interlocking fingers, whats so bad about it?

I have interlocked my fingers from being a child playing off a ladies handicap through to adulthood (almost) through to touching single figures and have never had an issue with the interlocked grip?
Old 23 April 2008, 04:34 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
don't be tempting to start with an interlocking grip
When I started as a youngster I had an interlocking grip, but everyone told me I should use an overlapping grip so I eventually changed it - not sure it was good advice though, as the two most successful golfers of all time both use the interlocking grip - Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:40 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daryl
not sure it was good advice though, as the two most successful golfers of all time both use the interlocking grip - Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus.
Thats what I tell myself when I try to change too - "I'll be ok, Tiger and Jack use this grip"...

I think they may be the exception to the rule, though

I think if I was starting out now I would go overlapping - It's too late now, it just feels too unnatural.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:46 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

But why would you want to change anyway Pete?

Not being difficult, always like to hear other peoples opinions
Old 23 April 2008, 04:52 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

But why would you want to change anyway Pete?

Not being difficult, always like to hear other peoples opinions
Because I am convinced it would make my game better of course! When things go wrong, I can blame my grip

Being more serious, I do have the odd tendancy to slice. now and then, and I am convinced this is because I am holding the club too tight, and if I changed to overlapping it would promote holding the club lighter.
Old 23 April 2008, 04:56 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

When starting out, when you are writing down your score, keep a note of the putts as well as the total shots on each hole.

You'll be amazed at how many putts make up your total score.

A lot of people practice driving, but forget to practice putting.

As you get better, aim to never 3 putt any hole once on the green.

Quick Reply: Golf - As in sport