Is the Labour Era over?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2008, 12:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Is the Labour Era over?

Times are looking grim.

Or is it because it has been so good for 10 years that it 'feels' worse than it really is?

What amazes me is the fact that the Tories are not way out in front in the opinion polls ....... surely such an unpopular government should be further behind than they are?

Or, again, is it because we all know we are better off under Labour than any other offering?
Old 23 April 2008, 12:43 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Or possibly that no one trusts the the Tories or any other political party?
Old 23 April 2008, 12:43 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
What amazes me is the fact that the Tories are not way out in front in the opinion polls ....... surely such an unpopular government should be further behind than they are??
They are way out in front.

Labour wil do well to hold on to power in the next GE (I've a feeling they might sneak it) but with a vastly reduced majority - It might even be a hung parliament. which would be no bad thing.

Remember the Tories in 1992 under Major faced a similar situation - massive majority , Massively unpopular, but managed to sneak in by the skin of thier teeth. Much to the surprise of everyone.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:44 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Is the Labour Era over?
We live in hope.

However, I'm sure that when the time comes, if Labour were to lose, they'd win an election on recount, and the CCTV and other surveillance measures put in place to stop any protests (by terrorists of course, like that axes-of-evil heckler at the party conference).
Old 23 April 2008, 12:47 PM
mal_howarth
Scooby Regular

Guy Fawkes would come in handy around now

Old 23 April 2008, 12:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
They are way out in front.
6 Percentage points ahead is not, in any language, way out in front!

Populus Limited > Poll Archive > The Times Poll - April 2008 - The Times - 04.04.08-06.04.08

It should be easily double digits ....... if, if, people are really cheesed off and want the Tories instead.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:53 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Running the country and keeping everyone happy is an impossibility. The tories showed they hand in the 80's/90's and c*cked up. Enter 'New Labour'.

They seemed to have helped contribute to the economies stability over the last 10 years. But, that is no excuse for not putting money asside for the bad times. But then, Browns budgets wouldn't have looked so good in the early years.

I do feel however that the rules on borrowing should have been tightened up a few years ago. But, if Labour had put restricitions on borrowing, the public would have viewed this as 'un-labour like' and they would probably have been booted out of office in the previous election for reducing the availabilty of money.

I now fear that we are going to repeat this pattern by voting the tories back in.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:53 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

6 Percentage points ahead is not, in any language, way out in front!

Populus Limited > Poll Archive > The Times Poll - April 2008 - The Times - 04.04.08-06.04.08

It should be easily double digits ....... if, if, people are really cheesed off and want the Tories instead.

Depends on the poll

Cameron extends poll lead on economy blues

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/party-politics/party-politics/tories-win-ten-point-swing-$1213571.htm

13 points ahead in these.

Still, illustrates why polls are pretty useless
Old 23 April 2008, 12:57 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Running the country and keeping everyone happy is an impossibility. The tories showed they hand in the 80's/90's and c*cked up. Enter 'New Labour'.
Indeed.

Your first term you can blame the previous government

Your second term you can claim to be putting things right.

Third term you better have it sorted, and things start to catch up with you.

The Tories were incredibly lucky to get a fourth term - Labour *might* manage it.

But , seeing as Labour shifted to the right, and the Tories shifted to the left, the difference to you and me is almost bugger all.
Old 23 April 2008, 12:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lewis you knobber!

'Tis NL's Chickens (c/w bird flu) coming home to roost.

Greedy Gordon, his piggy eyes fixed on the PM job did not spot the poisoned Chalice that Teflon Tony was handing him.

Serves him right really. he is poor, his cabanate are pretty bad and he just does not have the personality or ability to carry it off.

"Judge me by my results" greedy Gogs said - Yup OK then - you are SH*TE then mate
Old 23 April 2008, 01:00 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

is it because it has been so good for 10 years that it 'feels' worse than it really is?
?
LOL - what utter garbage!

The destruction, not recovery, of Britain's economy will be NuLabour's legacy.
They have systematically cheated, lied and hoodwinked the British public for TEN YEARS and made the naive believe that they were doing a fantastic job, hence securing the misery that is three consecutive Labour administrations.

I only hope that the British public will realise that the coming years of misery are Labour's legacy, and not the work of their successors.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:03 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Lewis you knobber!

'Tis NL's Chickens (c/w bird flu) coming home to roost.

Greedy Gordon, his piggy eyes fixed on the PM job did not spot the poisoned Chalice that Teflon Tony was handing him.

Serves him right really. he is poor, his cabanate are pretty bad and he just does not have the personality or ability to carry it off.

"Judge me by my results" greedy Gogs said - Yup OK then - you are SH*TE then mate
But, who would have in place? Surely not Camy? Whenever he is on tv giving yet another ' i'm so good speech', all I see is that episode from southpark. You know, the one where people have ar$es for heads!
Old 23 April 2008, 01:05 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck

They have systematically cheated, lied and hoodwinked the British public for TEN YEARS and made the naive believe that they were doing a fantastic job, hence securing the misery that is three consecutive Labour administrations.

I only hope that the British public will realise that the coming years of misery are Labour's legacy, and not the work of their successors.
So, the economy was is good shape when the tories were booted out?
Old 23 April 2008, 01:06 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I'd love to see hyperbole like this backed up with, errm let's say, some facts!
Old 23 April 2008, 01:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Depends on the poll

Cameron extends poll lead on economy blues

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/party-politics/party-politics/tories-win-ten-point-swing-$1213571.htm

13 points ahead in these.

Still, illustrates why polls are pretty useless
I did not choose mine to illustrate a point at all ..... there may well be those I could show a much smaller difference.

I chose The Times and I selected one from April 2008 .... I note your offering is older than that.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Lewis you knobber!
You have Infracted me for less than that!!

I will restrain myself ....... behave yourself!
Old 23 April 2008, 01:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Any evidence to support your twisted view?
Old 23 April 2008, 01:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You have Infracted me for less than that!!

I will restrain myself ....... behave yourself!
*******!
<Blows long-loud raspberry>
Old 23 April 2008, 01:18 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I chose The Times and I selected one from April 2008 .... I note your offering is older than that.
By how long? A week? The dates were 28th March.
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down

Its pretty obvious to anybody that it feels BETTER than it really is - for at least the last 5 years ..!
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
But, who would have in place? Surely not Camy? Whenever he is on tv giving yet another ' i'm so good speech', all I see is that episode from southpark. You know, the one where people have ar$es for heads!
What to do then, leave Brown in place as the opposition is not up to much - lesser of two evils and a LOUD message needs to be sent.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:20 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

That's the problem, we ****ed either way!
Old 23 April 2008, 01:28 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Over inflated housing market now in a state of collaspe, financial services teetering on the brink, national debt in excess of £39 Billion and rising, gold reserves squandered, record levels of personal debt, a generation of unemployable benefit scroungers, NHS in permanent crisis, record taxcation, record food prices, record fuel prices, towns all over the country overrun by uncontrolled immigration, illegal wars.... You could list NuLabours failings all day - there are plenty more.

Presumably those in need of facts never read newspapers or watch TV news.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

By how long? A week? The dates were 28th March.
They were more recent ..... I deal in current fact, not past fiction.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

a generation of unemployable benefit scroungers.
Interesting point - I'm struggling to imagine a Generation spanning just 10 years? Maybe you could state why you think a Generation is 10 years?
Old 23 April 2008, 01:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Over inflated housing market now in a state of collaspe, financial services teetering on the brink, national debt in excess of £39 Billion and rising, gold reserves squandered, record levels of personal debt, a generation of unemployable benefit scroungers, NHS in permanent crisis, record taxcation, record food prices, record fuel prices, towns all over the country overrun by uncontrolled immigration, illegal wars.... You could list NuLabours failings all day - there are plenty more.

I am sure Martin will be along in a mo to gloss over this lot with the usual NL rhetoric and diatribe as we all know it is all peachy and nothing to worry about. Be careful - he has dragged out 'hyperbole' so means business

Martin - really enjoyed your oh so PC touch feely comments on the Bulimic Fatty Prescott thread - Right on!

Keep the red flag fly-I-ing, blah-de blah-blah-blah-blah...

Last edited by The Zohan; 23 April 2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:35 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Couldn't you argue that point for the entire planet?
Old 23 April 2008, 01:39 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Over inflated housing market now in a state of collaspe, financial services teetering on the brink, national debt in excess of £39 Billion and rising, gold reserves squandered, record levels of personal debt, a generation of unemployable benefit scroungers, NHS in permanent crisis, record taxcation, record food prices, record fuel prices, towns all over the country overrun by uncontrolled immigration, illegal wars.... You could list NuLabours failings all day.

You do realise we had a house collapse in 1989 under the tories and that at £39 Billion, government borrowing is *still* lower than it was under the tories, right?

As for the NHS and public services, they are immeasuarably better than they were under the tories. The Tories almost ruined them completely.

Thankfully they have recognised this which is why they have commited to keep to Labours spending plans.

That said, I would welcome a change - i just worry at what cost.
Old 23 April 2008, 01:52 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Yes the Daily Mail is a fine source of factual info isn't it
Old 23 April 2008, 01:54 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I am sure Martin will be along in a mo to gloss over this lot with the usual NL rhetoric and diatribe as we all know it is all peachy and nothing to worry about. Be careful - he has dragged out 'hyperbole' so means business

Martin - really enjoyed your oh so PC touch feely comments on the Bulimic Fatty Prescott thread - Right on!

Keep the red flag fly-I-ing, blah-de blah-blah-blah-blah...

Listen matey, just because I try to inject a modicum balance and fairness into this otherwise alfa-male, dick swinging environment, doesn't make me a 'lefty' or even a Labour voter!

Speaking of lefties, George Galloway has just gone past my office window in a open-top bus, now there's someone we can all agree is a complete ****

Last edited by Martin2005; 23 April 2008 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the Labour Era over?