Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Immigration it's bad for the UK officially

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 09:16 AM
GOLDMAN 555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Immigration it's bad for the UK officially

Well it didn't really take Sherlock Holmes to work that one out did it...

My gripe is with European Union migration rather than general immigration.

If you live in Europe you have this kind of comparethemarket.com situation for pikeys where they simply find out who has the best benefit deal and they move there this is clearly what's happening over here.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:34 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

And as our Government won't want to offend them, they'll keep coming and coming.
Old 01 April 2008, 09:47 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Yes it seems the £6bn increse in the economy is pretty much totally wiped out by what they cost the country. Labour's figures purely showed how much they make, not how much they cost.

The equivalent would be a factory employing 100 people, taking on another 50 workers and saying productivity has increased by 50%, completely ignoring the fact that they are paying 50 more people's wages and saying we are 50% better off.

Pete Brant will be along shortly to dispute these figures!
Old 01 April 2008, 10:01 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
Pete Brant will be along shortly to dispute these figures!

Was thinking the same thing.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Wonder why it takes them so long to realise what we could have told them a long time ago!

Les
Old 01 April 2008, 10:03 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Oh good, some raw meat for the anti-everything brigade
Old 01 April 2008, 10:06 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Do you two do anything other than think about me all day?

The £6 billion figure is undisputed - But the GDP per captia is apparantly measured in "pence". So there is no positive or negative net impact - I.e. the "Bad for Britian" name of the thread is inaccurate.

But in purely economic terms it seems the impact is not as positive as it was portrayed as being.

Trending Topics

Old 01 April 2008, 10:07 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Actually, it's "bad" for sny country if left unckecked. The real problem is "black market" visas/passports....very lucrative business. I have heard of reports of people paying $30k+ for a "fake" passport.
Old 01 April 2008, 10:16 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well thats the eu for you ...! - and nu labia wets

The economy IS being boasted by other workers from around the world who are not able to claim benefits ( although id agree with the fake passport thing)
Old 01 April 2008, 10:27 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"But in purely economic terms it seems the impact is not as positive as it was portrayed as being. "

Which is exactly what I told you on here about 3 weeks ago, I will accept your apology in any form you would like to send it!
Old 01 April 2008, 10:42 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Which is exactly what I told you on here about 3 weeks ago, I will accept your apology in any form you would like to send it!
Apology for what?

I'm not about to apologise for having an opinion - I will of course conceed that the positive economic impact is not economically as big as I previously beleive. As I am sure you will conceed that there is now proof of there being no negative imapct on the economy (when talking in per capita terms)
Old 01 April 2008, 10:47 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"I'm not about to apologise for having an opinion - I will of course conceed that the positive economic impact is not economically as big as I previously beleive. As I am sure you will conceed that there is now proof of there being no negative imapct on the economy (when talking in per capita terms) "

I have to hand it to you, that is a pretty good way of saying "I was wrong"!

Have you ever considered a career as a Labour MP?
Old 01 April 2008, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Apology for what?

I'm not about to apologise for having an opinion - I will of course conceed that the positive economic impact is not economically as big as I previously beleive. As I am sure you will conceed that there is now proof of there being no negative imapct on the economy (when talking in per capita terms)
We are already a very heavily populated country. Do you think we should keep accepting immigrants until we start to fall off the edge? Or would you prefer to take pleasure in the good old "green and pleasant land"?

Les
Old 01 April 2008, 11:33 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

If immigration is so bad for us who would be running the NHS if we didnt have a mass influx of Indian doctors etc....

Might not need to accept anyone else into the country if people got of their fat ***** and got a job
Old 01 April 2008, 11:34 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Of course Pete wants more immigration, he loves it, he can't get enough of it, he doesn't think immigrants place any burden on services, he wants his kid to be the only English speaking child at his school, he believed the government when they told him that immigrants boosted the economy.

Pete's middle name is immigration!
Old 01 April 2008, 11:43 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Of course Pete wants more immigration, he loves it, he can't get enough of it, he doesn't think immigrants place any burden on services, he wants his kid to be the only English speaking child at his school, he believed the government when they told him that immigrants boosted the economy.
Yup, it's called "not being a xenophobe"

Let not get carried away with what this report says - It's doesn't vindicate being a massive racist (not that you are one) it says that there is little economic benefit to immigration, it says nothing at all about other benefits/costs. e.g. whether there is a net drain on resources in terms of public services.
Old 01 April 2008, 11:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Of course, in true, short-sighted New Labour form, the government hasn't looked beyond the economic impact, and has even had the cheek to "forget" the true COST!

What we, as a nation, needed to do was to look at the OVERALL effect of hundreds of thousands of immigrants in a short space of time. Such as:

Lack of proper accomodation.
Lack of school places.
Language barrier in schools, workplaces, and to the police etc.
Drain on an already overstretched NHS.
Drain on school budgets for special needs.
Drain on police/cps budgets for interpretors.
Immigrants working for lower wages taking the jobs our kids need. (Our family has direct evidence of this, not once, but TWICE)
Untaxed, uninsured, immigrant cars cars on the road.
Eastern European culture of drink-driving.
Dangerous Eastern European lorries on the roads.
Rising levels of shoplifting, (why do you think most of them wear backpacks? Again, I have evidence, so don't accuse me of owt, please )

These are just a FEW of the things Lying Labour never even THOUGHT of before opening the gates to one and all

Alcazar
Old 01 April 2008, 11:47 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

The report says that Labour have been manipulating the figures to try to justify the mass immigration they have allowed.
Old 01 April 2008, 11:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The report says that Labour have been manipulating the figures to try to justify the mass immigration they have allowed.
Labour? Lying Labour? Manipulate figures?

Surely never?

Alcazar
Old 01 April 2008, 11:53 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Pete will be a broken man, he believed every word!
Old 01 April 2008, 12:20 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Source?

I can see where they have said the analysis was "shaky" but I see nothing of deliberate manipulation.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:22 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Of course you can't, you can only see what you want to see!
Old 01 April 2008, 12:31 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

The Indian Doctors argument doesnt really stand up - a lot of professionals from other countries come here to study and get qualified ( and pay handsomely for the privelege ) then stay in the country to work afterwards.

I used to live near one of the biggest training hospitals in the UK, and a lot of the people living nearby were student doctors, a lot of them Indian, but also Africans, Europeans etc... A few of the Indians I spoke to said they were going to stay in the UK to work as the money was loads better than they could get back home, and after spending all that money getting qualified they were going to get the most out of it as possible.

Quite a few countries have immigration policies where you can only settle in the country if you have some skills or qualifications they need - closing the borders to unskilled labour doesnt seem a bad idea.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:32 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Source?

I can see where they have said the analysis was "shaky" but I see nothing of deliberate manipulation
Old 01 April 2008, 12:33 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

...and this will provide Labour with more impetus to fill the Lords with a bunch of Labour lackies as a stop gap to their main aim of scrapping the Lords all together.

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
they have said the analysis was "shaky"
In my profession that would be seen as professional incompetence - so I'm not sure what is worse between Government ineptness or corruption. I'm not entirely sure I would actually be able to tell the difference with this lot.

Last edited by Prasius; 01 April 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:35 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
...and this will provide Labour with more impetus to fill the Lords with a bunch of Labour lackies as a stop gap to their main aim of scrapping the Lords all together.
The best thing about the lords is that they have rebelled more against the government that when they did before the reforms

Just so long as we don't have an elected upper house I'll be happy.
Old 01 April 2008, 12:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im far less worried about Eastern Eupopean immigration (theyll all go, in time), than I am about the swathes of people that come here with no legal nor moral right, who will never leave (and likely as not, never contribute either).
Old 01 April 2008, 12:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some immigration is good, but the situation we have is ridiculous, and guess what after they do close the gates we are stuck with most for ever, we have our own problems without importing additional, it irks those who contribute to pay for people who do nothing who live here and every bugger turning up for theuir handout from other countries.

What is in it for this goverment, letting everyone in and not sending them back even if illegal, I am damn sure if I went to the states and got caugth being illegal it would be first plane home time.

It annoys me when I hear Super TB has made its way into the country, carried by a Somalian bloke, so that gets out and guess what another burden on overstretched resources.

But nowadays, us whities arent allowed to say anything in case we get called racist, ITS NOT RACIST, Racism is hate, I dont hate these people I just wish we could control how many I have to love !
Old 01 April 2008, 01:12 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

as a slight aside, this is an interesting site - Oxfam GB :: Reshaping our world - Poverty

look at the UK in terms of population- it explains why we would have more CCTV per head than anywhere else apart from anything else
Old 01 April 2008, 01:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Oh the irony

Quick Reply: Immigration it's bad for the UK officially