Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Gym shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2008, 11:07 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gym shenanigans

Spotted a bloke training on the pec fly machine today who put the selector key into a weight that was higher than he'd actually been using when he finished his sets and moved on. PMSL! anyone else noticed sad behaviour like this at their gym?
Old 30 March 2008, 11:10 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

thats quality ! you should have taken the pi55 automatically

(its just a normal milkshake buddy / i am shooting up as i am diabetic ! )
Old 30 March 2008, 11:12 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abbott
thats quality ! you should have taken the pi55 automatically

(its just a normal milkshake buddy / i am shooting up as i am diabetic ! )

I wouldn't have dared - he might have kicked sand in my face.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:18 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

you should be observing women not men mate
Old 30 March 2008, 11:18 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

He could at leats have tried to lift it, in an atempt to hide it!
Old 30 March 2008, 11:25 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Posting his name is bad enough, Billy. Now his mates can rib him.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:27 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Whats always fun is watching someone do this and then going over and doing a few sets on said weight while they look at you in disbelief, then putting it up a few notches and blasting out another set or two.

Trending Topics

Old 30 March 2008, 11:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Spoon
I know him, he's the spud eating champion of Ireland
Old 30 March 2008, 11:41 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

When you see him line up for a few reps next time, take the pin out and stand back. Watching him punch 2 holes in the ceiling should be amusing.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
I know him, he's the spud eating champion of Ireland
Yeh, chip on his shoulder by all accounts.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:48 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Yeh, chip on his shoulder by all accounts.
Thats the one, brain is deep fried too. shouldn't laugh really. Never mind he will always be a nugget of inspiration even though he's a bit of a chicken
Old 30 March 2008, 11:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finalzero
Whats always fun is watching someone do this and then going over and doing a few sets on said weight while they look at you in disbelief, then putting it up a few notches and blasting out another set or two.
Another good one is when the gym is packed out with "New Year's Resolutioners". It's great to watch them following regular gym-goers onto the equipment - having not bothered with an induction course - and nearly wrench their arms out of their sockets. Or get squashed by leg-press equipment and have to have their mates lift them out of trouble.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:50 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

His name was actually ***** Shenanigans, but I think I've thrown up a big enough smokescreen to save his embarrassment.

Doh!
Old 30 March 2008, 11:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
His name was actually ***** Shenanigans, but I think I've thrown up a big enough smokescreen to save his embarrassment.

Doh!
Well played, nearly.
Old 30 March 2008, 11:53 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Doh!

***** 'e, won't 'e
Old 30 March 2008, 11:56 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Thats the one, brain is deep fried too. shouldn't laugh really. Never mind he will always be a nugget of inspiration even though he's a bit of a chicken

You're thinking of Ken Tuckie, the bloke who works at Going Places in Redcar. "It's a bargain: book it"

I'll get me secret recipe coat.
Old 31 March 2008, 12:36 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You're thinking of Ken Tuckie, the bloke who works at Going Places in Redcar. "It's a bargain: book it"

I'll get me secret recipe coat.
OOps, I thought it was Burg Erking, he does a cracking set, he's a bit of a flamer but is ok once you get to know him
Old 31 March 2008, 09:18 AM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

Spotted a bloke training on the pec fly machine today who put the selector key into a weight that was higher than he'd actually been using when he finished his sets and moved on. PMSL! anyone else noticed sad behaviour like this at their gym?
Yep seen that done a few times at a gym I used to go to many years ago.
Old 31 March 2008, 09:32 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always a good laugh when people try to "race" me on the treadmill or bike - especially the new year brigade
Old 31 March 2008, 09:37 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

My own fault this one, as I couldn't see anywhere on the tread mill where it says 'do not attempt to remove sweatshirt whilst using this machine' I tried it. For all those who wish to experience the same feeling see how long you can run on one with your eyes shut. Or you could put a belt sander down your pants, its much the same. I changed gyms after that...

Last edited by bigvern; 31 March 2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: spelin
Old 31 March 2008, 09:44 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigvern
My own fault this one, as I couldn't see anywhere on the tread mill where it says 'do not attempt to remove sweatshirt whilst using this machine' I tried it. For all those who wish to experience the same feeling see how long you can run on one with your eyes shut. Or you could put a belt sander down your pants, its much the same. I changed gyms after that...
Old 31 March 2008, 10:06 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigvern
A mate (it wasn't me before somebody says it ) did something similar. He was using the running machine and got over confident in the pace he thought he could do so whacked the speed right up... he then caught his foot on the belt tripping and was fired off the machine into the wall directly behind. He was trapped with the side of his body stuck against the spinning belt leaving him with a 3rd degree friction burn!
Old 31 March 2008, 10:47 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I go to quite a hardcore bodybuilding gym, why oh why do a minority have to scream the place down as if to say 'look at what i'm lifting' give me a break.

a bit like this geezer, god i'd love to slap him but he'd flatten me

YouTube - Ronnie Coleman bodybuilder
Old 31 March 2008, 10:50 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Thing which gets me at the gym is why is it the bigger and stronger a bloke gets the less able he is to put the weights on the floor and instead thinks throwing them down becomes acceptable?
Old 31 March 2008, 11:01 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

See it all the time. The losers who set the weights high then adjust the machines for maximum mechanical advantage ie very high seat on a bicep curl are just as bad. I watch them performing each rep twisting their back, swinging the weight and not doing the full movement with some amusement.
I prefer to concentrate on my breathing and form and do lower weights in any case as I'm bulky enough IMO.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:21 AM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
I prefer to concentrate on my breathing and form and do lower weights in any case as I'm bulky enough IMO.
That'll be that fabled 56 inch chest at a spritely 14.5 stone .

My personal favourite, is the "follower". Doesn't happen quite as much now, but i remember in my youth, being being aware of this breed of gym user. As you finish your set of exercises they move in.

You watch as they add a few more plates to what ever exercise you were doing, then crank out half the amount of reps for one set before smugly wandering off to wait for your next exercise to finish so that they can "out lift" you on that one as well.

Oh and another one, tracksuit pant wearers in the gym, we all know why the majority of you do it, it's because you have legs like 2 pieces of spaghetti and look ridiculous when you wear shorts, making your top half look like an orange on a pair of tooth picks. (last statement blatantly ripped from So I Married An Axe Murderer)
Old 31 March 2008, 11:30 AM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
Thing which gets me at the gym is why is it the bigger and stronger a bloke gets the less able he is to put the weights on the floor and instead thinks throwing them down becomes acceptable?
Because the subsequent crash and gym-shaking vibration give them the attention they crave...

We have a rule in the gym I use: If you can't put them down, don't pick them up.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:35 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Originally Posted by rob878
Oh and another one, tracksuit pant wearers in the gym, we all know why the majority of you do it, it's because you have legs like 2 pieces of spaghetti and look ridiculous when you wear shorts, making your top half look like an orange on a pair of tooth picks. (last statement blatantly ripped from So I Married An Axe Murderer)
You think that's bad. At my gym there are quite a few 'homies' of various ethnic backgrounds(most likely homos as well judging by the way they spend time admiring and 'helping' each other) who wear jeans, bandanas and chains. I'm just aching for the moment to arrive when one of them gets something caught in the machinery and throttles themselves or twists something delicate.
Old 31 March 2008, 12:21 PM
rob878
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
You think that's bad. At my gym there are quite a few 'homies' of various ethnic backgrounds(most likely homos as well judging by the way they spend time admiring and 'helping' each other) who wear jeans, bandanas and chains. I'm just aching for the moment to arrive when one of them gets something caught in the machinery and throttles themselves or twists something delicate.
Ah yes i have seen these gym users too, they also seem to specialize in tandem training, I was unused to this style but allow me to explain. First takes the basics of spotting and turn it into something amazing to behold.

On a bench press, select a weight that you can only just push for one rep, then get your mate to spot. It should be noted that your spotter should be throughly warmed up though.

Crank out the first rep then gasp for a spot, as you start the second rep drop the bar at such a rate as to allow it to bounce off your chest, then start to press, your spotter now instead of lightly assisting you, performs a full scale upright row instead. Thus allowing you to "lift" the bar with ease.

Perform the required number of reps to look hard and mince off after a bit of flexing in the mirror. .

PS i have no quarrel with forced reps at the end of a good set, but please tandem training is for the weak and feeble
Old 31 March 2008, 12:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I get it, you are all Pro's and never make any mistakes, never look in the mirror, just hard reps, In reality you are all their with your baggies, little gloves, Ipod, Belt, towel and Protein drink just perving on women, j4ckos mate goes but he just takes 8 tins of Stella and sits nearest the bits of equipment that induce jiggling in females.

Quick Reply: Gym shenanigans