Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Separate insurance policies on furniture...

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2008, 03:24 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Separate insurance policies on furniture...

I bought a dining table and chairs yesterday, and the salesman offered (as they do) a separate insurance policy against all kinds of damage.

Now I refused as I believe that's what your actual home insurance is for, but was wondering if I have done the right thing.

Are these in the same category as extended warranties on electrical goods, basically an earner for the salesperson, or are they actually any good.

The table and chairs was around £600, and the insurance was £50.
Old 23 March 2008, 03:36 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my view is it all depends, take our settee for instance we opted to buy the additional insurance as it covers, marks, tears and structural defects, along with if the recliner parts break they will be repaired as many times necessary in the 5 year period, if something has working parts then cover is a good idea, plus if you left everything to be claimed on your contents insurance your plicy would soon go up beyond economic viabilty or they would think you were a fraudster

its a little horses for courses I doubt on a table and chair set I would get insurance unless it was solid oak or something very special but again it would be an individual choice.

Cver is also important and the running period of the policy, if it is 5 years ten it is £10 a year...12 months well you get that anyway, 3 years middle ground if you will be using it every day and it gets heavy usage when used then it may be wise but if all you do is sit at it on Sunday for dinner then no.

HTH my view obviously.