Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

fridge units for vans?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 08:23 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fridge units for vans?

Ive seen these before, but no idea what they are called officially, so Im having difficulty finding anything by google.... Its a big insulated box complete with refrigeration unit that its free-standing, -basically a giant fridge- but designed to be placed in the back of a van, so runs on 12v

Our business is reaching the stage where we need our own refridgerated van for deliveries, but we cant justify the cost of buying, running, insuring etc another van ( a "proper" fridge van) so am looking into this as a possibility. We could keep our normal van for other uses, and when needed, slide this unit into the rear and plug it in, converting the van into a refrigerated one. Its a vauxhall combo sized thing we have just now.

this sort of thing...

anyone know where I could find these for sale in UK?

Thanks.
Old 20 March 2008, 01:21 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

You can hire refrigerated vans - more expensive if you do it long term - but if you need a short term fix to see if it works for you, then it's good value.

Also depends what you are delivering.

I know someone who delivers pre-packed meat to his market stalls and he bought the biggest cool boxes he could find [about 4' long x 2' high x 2' wide with wheels at one end] and very large freezer packs [those flat blue things].

He has a chest freezer he puts the blocks in every night and he puts the blocks on the top of the food with a layer of bubble wrap between the blocks and the meat so as not to "burn" it. Blocks are on top because cold air falls.

Like you, he can use his van for anything and the big chill boxes stack well too.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:14 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Cheers. We looked into cool boxes, but local food regs (we are in france by the way) state that each box can only be opened once, ie to empty the produce out. If we are doing multi-drop deliveries then we would need a seperate cool box for each item, which is a farce.
Granted, the chances of ever being stopped and having this checked are slim, but we want to get up to standard. Something that will be opened several times needs to have a refrigeration system.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:32 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

I love some of the vehicles they have in the French markets - often more interesting than the produce for me but then I'm an engineer!

I'll see if I can find anything else out for you - I'm seeing my friend this weekend.
Old 20 March 2008, 11:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Petit-Forester could help ?
Old 21 March 2008, 12:33 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Mobile refrigerated sales from ColdTraila

Marine Refrigeration - Vitrifrgo, Frigoboat - boat fridge: Vitrifrigo White

Free Refrigeration Log Book: Mobile refrigerated trailers for hire, a portable refrigeration service from Big Fridge

AJ Chillervans :: Fridge Van Conversions

Acrobat Rental: Fridge Operation

VanFridge Ltd -

Vehikool - Products

There's some useful stuff on how to meet [meat?!?] Elf n Safety - though the frogs do it differently may give you some ideas.