Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What caused your last accident? Speed or Human Error?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2008, 06:54 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What caused your last accident? Speed or Human Error?

This has come from some of the very good posts made in the speed camera topic, i'd be interested to know...

Was your last car accident caused by excessive speed (ie breaking the speed limit) or human error (either you or the other person)?

Just copy/paste...

Human Error

1. Boro

Excessive Speed

Old 15 March 2008, 06:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

From my recent accidents it has always been some other idiot hitting me thru either no using there mirrors or straight lining junctions
Old 15 March 2008, 07:01 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

speed!

I was only doing 20mph and some idiot pulled out of a t-junction and hit me...

If i'd have been doing 40 I would have been long gone
Old 15 March 2008, 07:05 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

1) Brake failure - numptie of a mechanic fitted the wrong ones. If only I had not paid cash
2) Bad judgement, some numbskull in a Fiesta thought he could cross all the lanes of a dual carraigeway, and accelerate uphill, with a boot full of tools, and 4 mates, all in the space of 20 metres. If he had had more power he may have pulled it off. As it was, he had to pull two cars off to the scapper
Old 15 March 2008, 07:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

human error & human error, covers my last 2

I would say most accidents involving other cars ould be human error, sadly most of the children hit by speeders are either too young to post on this forum or dead. If someone has had a child hit by a car, maybe they should post their POV.
Old 15 March 2008, 07:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Is it common to have accidents? The only accident that I have had was caused by a defect on the vehicle, which caused me to gently bump an old lady at <5mph (still, its probably written-off her car!), when I couldnt stop from about 30mph.
Old 15 March 2008, 07:11 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Ive have a few, every single one caused by the other driver being a complete tw@t.

Knocked off motorbike on a roundabout by learner driver on a driving lesson (5-10mph)

2 junction accidents where they failed to see me and subsequent t-bones (both within speed limits)

Trending Topics

Old 15 March 2008, 07:14 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Some loser who cut in on me from lane 2 of a motorway- presumably a fully illuminated car is a difficult thing to see- if you're an idiot.
Old 15 March 2008, 07:14 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Human error x2

hit twice from the rear

Mart
Old 15 March 2008, 07:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

my last one was human error on my part. took a corner too fast, understeered hit a low and not a high kerb thank god.

persuaded me to invest in £700 suspension mods oh and a bit more awareness on blind bends
Old 15 March 2008, 07:38 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Impaired judegment wouldnt say speed- 15 mph crash at most

But you cant argue with the designers and i totally agree with the speed limits.

Although some cameras are clearly in the wrong place
Old 15 March 2008, 07:42 PM
Will
BANNED

a lorry came out of a junction in a 60mph area right in front of me, couldnet overtake as a car was coming the other way so had a choice of either skid in to the *** of the lorry or undertake on the grass, so i undertake on the grass and hit a lamp post.
Old 15 March 2008, 07:45 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Human error caused by excessive speed

Equals gravel trap at Bedford
Old 15 March 2008, 07:46 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Hit from behind while turning right, his fault. Thats it in 22 years of driving
Old 15 March 2008, 07:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

sadly most of the children hit by speeders
This pees me off, you hit a kid and automatically you were speeding and guilty! There's been two cases local to me, both sets of parents want new 20 limits, humps and cameras. Both kids were unattended and ran into the path of cars that were not speeding. Both kids were killed btw.
Old 15 March 2008, 07:51 PM
old bob
Scooby Regular

human error, front wheels gripped while startin to hang on the way out of a dougnut and shot be the other way and flatened a poxy chain link fence!
Old 15 March 2008, 07:58 PM
Vicki Butler -Henderson
Scooby Regular

Speed + human error. If only he didn't come so quick we wouldn't be in this mess. (happened in a car)
Old 15 March 2008, 08:03 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Surely excessive speed is human error?
Old 15 March 2008, 08:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by old bob
human error, front wheels gripped while startin to hang on the way out of a dougnut and shot be the other way and flatened a poxy chain link fence!
I can make out each single word, but the sentence loses me totally. Well, other than the fact there were doghnuts to be eaten
Old 15 March 2008, 08:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
This pees me off, you hit a kid and automatically you were speeding and guilty! There's been two cases local to me, both sets of parents want new 20 limits, humps and cameras. Both kids were unattended and ran into the path of cars that were not speeding. Both kids were killed btw.
were these on 30mph roads? or 40? as it would make a difference as the statistics are at 30 they have more chance of survival although like most things it is not guarenteed, I actually think the 30mph speed limits are designed to give the children a chance for exactly the same reason as posted above children have no road sense whatsoever.

I know if one of my kids was hit on a road set at 30mph I would campaign until the sun went down to get the limit reduced as most people would, cars and pedestrians don't mix very well and there will only ever be one winner in those situation, why shouldn't we care for children in residential areas where they can be found, or do they not matter??
Old 15 March 2008, 08:08 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Both of my accidents have been human error - excessive speed had no part in either of them.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
sadly most of the children hit by speeders are either too young to post on this forum or dead.
While I will admit have no idea of the statistics; I would suspect that the majority of accidents involving child pedestrians are a result of human error - on the part of the child for running out, and their parents not teaching them any road sense; and not the result of a vehicle traveling at excessive speed.

But of course, the "STOP, LOOK, LISTEN" campaign that was drummed into the generation many of us belong to, seems to have all but ceased; replaced by the deamonisation of drivers with the "SPEED KILLS" campaign.

Actually, running out in front of a 1.5 ton motor vehicle traveling at the signposted speed limit kills.

There should be a return to educational broadcasting as there was 20 - 30 years ago, something which is sadly lacking.
Old 15 March 2008, 08:12 PM
old bob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I can make out each single word, but the sentence loses me totally. Well, other than the fact there were doghnuts to be eaten
made sense when i wrote it!
Old 15 March 2008, 08:16 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I know if one of my kids was hit on a road set at 30mph I would campaign until the sun went down to get the limit reduced as most people would, cars and pedestrians don't mix very well and there will only ever be one winner in those situation, why shouldn't we care for children in residential areas where they can be found, or do they not matter??
Unless I misunderstand you, that means you want blanket 20mph limits in built up areas. Waiting till an accident has happened is not, in my opinion, the correct thing to do. If you are going to change the limit, do it before there is an accident.

I don't support blanket 20mph limit, its just too slow an uneccessary. Even at 20mph you are going to kill people if you hit them. Yes, they have more chance of surviving, but its still 1.5 tonnes of car smacking into them so you can be sure there will be fatalities.

If the point is to lower the limit to a speed where you can hit people and not kill them, then you are going to have to go for lower limits, maybe even 10mph. Even if you go that low, there is still the chance they go under the wheels and are crushed dead.

In short, I don't think lowering limits is the answer. I believe the answer is to educate the kids to not be in the road in the first place. That is likely to be far more effective. You just need limits low enough so that people and cars can react to one another assuming both are being responsible.
Old 15 March 2008, 08:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Both of my accidents have been human error - excessive speed had no part in either of them.

While I will admit have no idea of the statistics; I would suspect that the majority of accidents involving child pedestrians are a result of human error - on the part of the child for running out, and their parents not teaching them any road sense; and not the result of a vehicle traveling at excessive speed.

But of course, the "STOP, LOOK, LISTEN" campaign that was drummed into the generation many of us belong to, seems to have all but ceased; replaced by the deamonisation of drivers with the "SPEED KILLS" campaign.

Actually, running out in front of a 1.5 ton motor vehicle traveling at the signposted speed limit kills.

There should be a return to educational broadcasting as there was 20 - 30 years ago, something which is sadly lacking.
I would be incluined to agree that the education side of it certainly lacks, I do think the green cross code man is still doing the rounds too, I think the point is if you travel at 30mph where you should you are giving the child the best possible chance of survival as you will maybe be able to react, stop, and if you do hit them hopefully you will have slowed down enough to not kill them, children are unpridictable and thats why I think it is up to the adults {drivers} to keep to the speed limits to give them the best chance going when they do the stupid thing.

I would never argue that if you are travelling at the proper speed it can still happen but at least you will be in the best situation to hopefully have the correct end result.
Old 15 March 2008, 08:45 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most recent was some woman cutting the corner on a roundabout without checking her mirrors. Minor shunt.

Last before that was eight years ago when some idiot was too busy rubbernecking to notice that the traffic ahead had stopped, and drove into the back of my car at about 30mph. Write-off.

M
Old 15 March 2008, 08:49 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Human error (only a few days ago)

Completly my fault, wrote my next door neighbours car off by reversing into it, all that happened on my car was 10mm x 3mm of plastic came off
Old 15 March 2008, 08:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Speed on my part, human error on the biker who pulled out on me without looking. Managed to avoid him but ended up upside down in a field.

Biker never even stopped
Old 15 March 2008, 09:05 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Over 18 years

1) my fault - mis read road sign on a M25 roundabout and changed lane too early.
2) my fault - no give way triangle, poor road markings, raining heavily - smash!
3) Shunted from behind while stationary
4) shunted into the side as car pulled out
5) car going too fast overshot junction and hit my car.

So 1 out of 5 was speed, and they were only doing 20mph.
Old 15 March 2008, 09:32 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Human error with me,

Went it to pay a bill at the local tyre fitters and a guy came walking in pointing and laughing at the bloke stood next to me. He says, your van has just ran into the back of my wagon. The bloke said, I dont have a van, my heart sank. Luckily just scraped uo the bonnet. Forgot to put the bloody handbrake on
Old 15 March 2008, 09:53 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Human error, bint (who was actually very tasty) pulled out of a junction without looking, I slammed in to the side of her, hopefully next time we meet I'll be slamming into her rear

Quick Reply: What caused your last accident? Speed or Human Error?