Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

covering letters...

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2008, 09:28 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering letters...

as above, people know im looking for a different job now, something more carreer based instead of a dead end warehouse job.

now im applying for a couple of recruitment positions in scunny. yes its a wage cut of around £4-6k a year and thats something im gonna have to starve for to sustain.

right most places want a decent c.v. and a covering letter. what really goes into the covering letter as i think my c.v. is ok as is. upto date and well presented. is a covering letter your opportunity to sell the position as your own etc? ie a little **** kissing.

im just about to write one now along side my freshly printed off c.v.

any help/advice appreciated
Old 14 March 2008, 09:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
as above, people know im looking for a different job now, something more carreer based instead of a dead end warehouse job.

now im applying for a couple of recruitment positions in scunny. yes its a wage cut of around £4-6k a year and thats something im gonna have to starve for to sustain.

right most places want a decent c.v. and a covering letter. what really goes into the covering letter as i think my c.v. is ok as is. upto date and well presented. is a covering letter your opportunity to sell the position as your own etc? ie a little **** kissing.

im just about to write one now along side my freshly printed off c.v.

any help/advice appreciated
if it is recruitment then focus on enjoying working with people, people person looking for a rewarding career.

Do not refer to the position as a job, use words like role or position or career never 'job'
Old 14 March 2008, 09:39 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
if it is recruitment then focus on enjoying working with people, people person looking for a rewarding career.

Do not refer to the position as a job, use words like role or position or career never 'job'
excellent, noted

any more?
Old 14 March 2008, 09:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You'll get all sorts of advice from here (and Google) but a few points that might not be mentioned.

Letter should be specific to a particular job. Unless you are doing a round robin of agencies.

Use decent 100 gram white paper

Keep it short. One page only say 3 to 5 paras at most

Try to avoid starting every para with "I"

Tell the recipient that you would welcome the opportunity to meet and discuss the position further.

In essence you want the recipient to feel that you may be suitable and thus call you up for interview.

Spellcheck and show it to someone sensible for comment before posting 1st class.

Keep a copy. dl
Old 14 March 2008, 10:06 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
You'll get all sorts of advice from here (and Google) but a few points that might not be mentioned.

Letter should be specific to a particular job. Unless you are doing a round robin of agencies.

Use decent 100 gram white paper

Keep it short. One page only say 3 to 5 paras at most

Try to avoid starting every para with "I"

Tell the recipient that you would welcome the opportunity to meet and discuss the position further.

In essence you want the recipient to feel that you may be suitable and thus call you up for interview.

Spellcheck and show it to someone sensible for comment before posting 1st class.

Keep a copy. dl
ive just sat and written out what i think is a half decent draft. the covering letter is for one job only, so ive put everything that i feel i can bring into the company in it.
Old 14 March 2008, 02:49 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I just want to say 'Good Luck' Andy.