Brunstroms latest weapon

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2008, 04:21 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brunstroms latest weapon

Feckin bang out of order if you ask me.

what happened to the days of getting caught fair and square????

PistonHeads Headlines
Old 13 March 2008, 04:27 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Simple dont speed
Old 13 March 2008, 04:29 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Be interesting to see if it meets the regulations for being used in that manner. If not N Wales could be issuing a lot of refunds!
Old 13 March 2008, 04:30 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
Simple dont speed
I wonder what you will be saying when all towns are 20mph, all nation limits are down to 40mph and motorways are 50mph (unless you pay to do 70).
Old 13 March 2008, 04:33 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The problem I have with diguised or hidden speed cameras is that they they ar enot fit for purpose.

By definition a "safety camera" is for safety purposes. It is used on accident blackspots to reduce speed. If people are caught speeding on a safety camera it has failed in its objective.

Now, which kind of saftey camera do you think better meets its objective of *not* catching anyone speeding? The hidden one, or the visible one?
Old 13 March 2008, 04:35 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Simple dont speed
why do people like you exist, nothing but self righteous crap, i take it you never speed and drive a 2 cv or similar do you? or are you related to the prat who keeps coming up with these ideas of how to stop people enjoying themselves.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:37 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"fit for purpose."

I thought only New Labour politicians used that awful phrase!
Old 13 March 2008, 04:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrxsti280
why do people like you exist, nothing but self righteous crap, i take it you never speed and drive a 2 cv or similar do you? or are you related to the prat who keeps coming up with these ideas of how to stop people enjoying themselves.
I agree with Jacko's mate, yeah off course I speed but if Im caught I can hardly complain can I as I knew what I was doing. Get a life and take it on the chin if you get caught, simple really.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:42 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Now, which kind of saftey camera do you think better meets its objective of *not* catching anyone speeding? The hidden one, or the visible one?
Technically Pete, the one thats very visable wouldnt be in a place Id call an accident black spot, the ones hidden round corners, the ones that are in places you cant see very good are the ones that catch the people who shouldnt be speeding in that environment, bit like if the camera was a pedestrian, you wouldnt have seen them in time
Old 13 March 2008, 04:55 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Technically Pete, the one thats very visable wouldnt be in a place Id call an accident black spot, the ones hidden round corners, the ones that are in places you cant see very good are the ones that catch the people who shouldnt be speeding in that environment, bit like if the camera was a pedestrian, you wouldnt have seen them in time
Of course but the idea of a safety camera is not to catch people speeding, but to slow people down, hence why you want it as visible as can be.
Old 13 March 2008, 04:56 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Simple dont speed
Perhaps he doesn't own a car, I don't. No chance to catch me speeding on my push bike, and if I get caught I'll be framing the paperwork.
Old 13 March 2008, 05:10 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Of course but the idea of a safety camera is not to catch people speeding, but to slow people down, hence why you want it as visible as can be.
Yeah but lets be honest, no matter how much they brand them as safety cameras we all know theyre just speed cameras
Old 13 March 2008, 05:19 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Simple dont speed
The man has a point.
Old 13 March 2008, 05:38 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
The man has a point.
<cough> bollox! <cough>

Alcazar
Old 13 March 2008, 05:39 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Yep easy to say dont speed but remember this.

This is not being placed outside a school or in a built up area this is being placed in open coutryside - many of which have had speed limits reduced to 50 or even 40mph.

So to all those who are saying just dont speed , when your next making progress along an empty country road dont come moaning when a ticket plops on your mat because you've not realised you've slightly gone over the speed limit and you cop for 3 points.

I cant believe i'm on a performance car forum sometimes
Old 13 March 2008, 06:07 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Yep easy to say dont speed but remember this.

This is not being placed outside a school or in a built up area this is being placed in open coutryside - many of which have had speed limits reduced to 50 or even 40mph.

So to all those who are saying just dont speed , when your next making progress along an empty country road dont come moaning when a ticket plops on your mat because you've not realised you've slightly gone over the speed limit and you cop for 3 points.

I cant believe i'm on a performance car forum sometimes
That's why I sold mine. I live in London and to go anywhere to enjoy it is a whole day out, I find it more frustrating than pleasurable now.
Old 13 March 2008, 06:23 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

...I love the way people swallow the "speed kills" social conditioning just like they're swallowing the climate change crap...

Road safety is a far more complicated issue than just the enforcement of speed limits - however, that seems to have flown past many bureaucratic high flying police officers and the politicians.

The obsession about speed alone is costing lives - deaths which are potentially avoidable if they actually wanted to deal with the varied problems with driving standards. The vast majority of dumb driving I see on the roads every week has very little to do with speed, and much more to do with general awareness, poor hazard perception, and general plain stupidity.

But then getting people to drive properly might save lives, but it doesn't make money - it costs it. Its an interesting moral standpoint, but I guess they can live with themselves.
Old 13 March 2008, 08:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple dont speed
Even you exceed the speed limit occasionally, the point being that Brunstrom is using sneaky tactics to catch motorists !
Old 13 March 2008, 09:00 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Well I also agree witht eh don't speed situation, if you speed and get caught don't complain after all it is any given persons choice, most of the time these days I drive within the speed limits even on country roads, it is easy to think speeding doesn't cause any harm, which mostly it doesn't but just once if you hit a child or a branch or even a rabbit shooting out from the side of the road and you were speeding the consequences, not the fine, or the custodial sentence or ban but the possible death of another person or even a passenger in your car is something to bring realism to the situation.

We all know they are cash generators, but how could they generate any cash from them if people didnt speed....have a think.

some may want to negative this some may want to infract, feel free, but the end result is speeding is speeding it is against the law, no one really likes it but we all have to abide by them, i we don't we risk getting caught and facing the consequences of our actions, if you accept that wither way don't moan be men {or women} and stand by your convictions but don't slate other people for thier personal opinions it only make you look weak.
Old 13 March 2008, 09:06 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

How come no one complains about hidden CCTV cameras to stop or rather covertly catch shoplifters ?

I stick to the speed limits pretty much thesedays, but then my car doesnt really go that fast

I also agree with the dont speed then attitude, and yes it is sneaky, and I have always argued that visible speed cameras are pointless as they only stop speeding in that 3 metre section of road

Hidden police /cameras and more people getting caught, might just make people slow down a bit and to keep roughly within the speed limits

I do think the severe excessive speeders should be targetted and punished though espcecially in built up areas
Old 13 March 2008, 09:07 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Absolutely agree - but obviously as none of those point brings in any revenue then none will be implemented ....... basically another reason why politicians are all corrupt - fiscally and morally. Martin2005 - take note!

A bit like Red Ken sitting on the report on letting m'cyclists in bus lanes so he won't lose cyclists votes. But the report says that all roadusers will benefit. So people are dying because of his trying to cling onto power!

Dave
Note taken fella.

Can I make a sweeping statement then, all motorists are irresponsible nutters who speed everywhere not caring if they kill anyone.... you see sweeping statement are a bit dim aren't they?

Last edited by Martin2005; 13 March 2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 13 March 2008, 09:15 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
How come no one complains about hidden CCTV cameras to stop or rather covertly catch shoplifters ?
I think a better ananlogy is the CCTV on the streets. When you walk through a city centre, you will see lots of signs saying "smile, you're on CCTV" and the obvious reason for this is to remind people that they are being recorded and hopefully reduce crime as a result.

I.e. cameras are clearly visible, and used as a deterrent to criminal beahviour.

Speed cameras are there to do the same job in effect - to stop people speeding, to prevent accidents. If they catch someone speeding they have fundamentally failed in thier job.

This is why hidden cameras cannot have little to do with safety, someone driving down a road unware that there are speed cameras may well speed in a section of road that is an accident black spot. If there are cameras in clear evidence, then they will not speed along the same stretch of road.

Speed cameras are designed to slow people down, and in this repsect, visible cameras absolutely work - Hidden ones do not.

IMO

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I do think the severe excessive speeders should be targetted and punished though espcecially in built up areas

I think in 30 zones, I agree, we should be very strict. But I also think that NSL and motorways should have far more leniency.
Old 13 March 2008, 09:21 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

Simple dont go to Wales
EFA
Old 13 March 2008, 09:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pity Mr Todd didnt invite his mate Mr Brunstrom for a walk and a drink on SNowdon this Tuesday.
Old 14 March 2008, 01:44 AM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Speed does NOT kill.

It's the sudden stop that's the bummer!!

Last edited by nooobyscoooby; 14 March 2008 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 14 March 2008, 03:05 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Guns don't kill. It's the bullets that do.
Old 14 March 2008, 03:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Simple dont speed
That is a perfectly logical comment. We have to remember that we do not have a right to ignore the law and as much of a hypocritical **** as that man is, he has the law on his side.

None of us has a god given right to ignore the law. If you want to do so in your car, you have to accept the risk of being done for it! It may well feel unfair to get caught on what appears to be a safe and clear piece of road except that the law has to take note of times when it may not be safe to speed in that spot and therefore there is a speed limit to cover those times. Speeding in a constricted or dangerous area is foolhardy and unfair to innocent people in the area.

The only answer if you value your licence and do not want to get hit in the pocket is to take note of what j4cko's mate said. What other answer is there?

Just don't bother to accuse me of being a "goody goody", it wont wash in the case of straight commonsense believe me. I have had my fair share of being up in front of the "Beak" and they always win!

Les
Old 14 March 2008, 11:54 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

In this country there is a serious case of brainwashing going on regarding the effects of 'excess' speed. But then all the preachers can rest easy in the fact that they are protecting society with their self-righteous attitude, in much the same way as those who harp on about global warming all the time. Anyone who 'speeds' is after all a potential child killer, and nobody wants that do they?
Try to quote statistics that say speed is a major factor in only 7% of road traffic incidents and a contributing influence in 12% and you will be instantly dismissed as a selfish sociopath. And for something that can be only directly attributed to 7% of RTAs, we sure do devote a lot of time and energy to it don't we? Very black and white though, isn't it? The Government sets the speed limits, and hey presto, if you exceed them you pay the price. Park up lads, turn on the cameras, and fire up those cash registers. Easy money! And the added bonus that one speeder equals one easy conviction and the crime statistics look very rosey. Just so long as the public buy into the 'Speeding Kills' propoganda. Beats catching burglars or dealing with losers scrapping outside the bookies, either way.
Now I don't condone exceeding the limits in built up areas as there is a valid reason for them (you really might kill a child!) but let's get real here, 70mph on a motorway is pig (hoho) slow. Perhaps someone might explain to me how it is that I might do 100mph here on the M1 (never yet come across any children playing there) and be accused by some of outrageous behaviour, and yet I can do 175mph on a similar road in Germany without recrimination. The only real difference is the limit in force on the road. I don't expect the limit on the M1 to be raised to 150mph, but when dealing with speed some latitude from the authorities would not be unreasonable. If you do 100mph on the motorway in broad daylight, in the dry and take due care then who really gives a damn?
If the authorities really cared about road safety then the focus would be on making sure those behind the wheel actually know how to drive. Car control, hazard perception, use of mirrors and indicators, lane discipline and just plain looking where you are going would be a good start. Wouldn't fill the kitty or puff up the crime stats though, would it?
As someone who drives for work, the only speeding that concerns me is in built up areas. What really concerns me is the general poor standard of driving that seems to be more prevalent nowadays but then dealing with that is no easy task.
Kevin

Quick Reply: Brunstroms latest weapon