Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House Prices, again ....

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2008, 02:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation House Prices, again ....

According to the latest report by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), house prices dropped for the seventh month in a row, with 64.1% more surveyors reporting a fall rather than a rise in prices in February.

This has led to more than half a year of house price downturn, with the report teetering close to its historical low of June 1990 when 64.5% more surveyors reported a fall, rather than a rise in prices.

Stocks of unsold property jumped by more than 8.5%, the fifth consecutive monthly increase of more than 8%. The level of unsold homes has now risen by 48.6% over the past 12 months, which is the steepest rise in unsold property since 1989.

I can remember what it was like trying to sell a house in 1989-1994 ... if we are anywhere near that market it's going to be pretty rough for prices in the next couple of years.
Old 12 March 2008, 03:45 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"64.1% more"
"64.5% more"

more than what? If it's a low amount that were already reporting a fall, ie 2%, then that's 64% more of 2% so 3.3%. Means nothing quoting percentages if you aren't giving base figure values.
Old 12 March 2008, 04:05 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Glad I got the ladder when I did.
Old 12 March 2008, 04:09 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Do you mean got on the ladder?

Or have you bought a ladder to live on?
Old 12 March 2008, 04:20 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

LOL

RICS have released figures showing the exact opposite for Scotland

And yet Lloyds quote "uk house prices falling"

Worry about your own house Pete, and leave speculation to the speculators.
Old 12 March 2008, 04:26 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446

Old 12 March 2008, 05:13 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 12 March 2008, 05:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to admit theres ALOT of houses still for sale down here that were for sale as much as 12 months ago.

We're all doomed I tells ya
Old 12 March 2008, 05:22 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

and on another note rents on BTL properties have increased. At the annual review 3/4 of the properties owned by people who are close to me have increased by 10%. That is on properties based from the midlands to central scotland.

It is all just swings are roundabouts. As prices soften (not crash), people don't want to buy, therefore rents are good. When people start buying, rents ease, but you get capital growth.

So for the individual it does not really matter. The sooner you buy the sooner you stop paying rent and get on the housing ladder. There have been historical exceptions, but changes to the products that are available, and also rules and regulations make historical comparisons meaningless.

The most notable example being that no longer are banks who repossess properties able to sell the property off without paying attention to properties value. Back in the last crash, lenders could sell a property with only a view to realising the value of the debt owed to them. This meant they could go for next to nothing, which in turn made the prices of all the houses around them fall. There were a lot of cheeky deals done back then that made a few people very rich, but left many others in poverty. Rules were changed to stop this.

Last edited by Luminous; 12 March 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12 March 2008, 05:24 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

That comment just made me laugh out loud.
Old 12 March 2008, 05:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I have to admit theres ALOT of houses still for sale down here that were for sale as much as 12 months ago.

We're all doomed I tells ya
New luxury apartments built near me last year. Starting prices at £190k upto £297k - £385k for the Duplex/Penthouse apartments.

They've sold 2 in just shy of 12 months.
Old 12 March 2008, 05:30 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Come down to Colchester, there are hundreds of unsold apartments and hundreds more still going up!
Old 12 March 2008, 05:43 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Seems to have frozen a bit where I live. It did go silly right after I bought my place though - so I was lucky.

Place up the road has had £20k knocked off it but still remains empty. It is right next to an electrcity sub-station though, and was £50k overpriced IMO in the 1st place.
Old 12 March 2008, 06:20 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
According to the latest report by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), house prices dropped for the seventh month in a row, with 64.1% more surveyors reporting a fall rather than a rise in prices in February.

This has led to more than half a year of house price downturn, with the report teetering close to its historical low of June 1990 when 64.5% more surveyors reported a fall, rather than a rise in prices.

Stocks of unsold property jumped by more than 8.5%, the fifth consecutive monthly increase of more than 8%. The level of unsold homes has now risen by 48.6% over the past 12 months, which is the steepest rise in unsold property since 1989.

I can remember what it was like trying to sell a house in 1989-1994 ... if we are anywhere near that market it's going to be pretty rough for prices in the next couple of years.
It's like a broken record

How long do we have to wait until your next housing market is screwed post Pete, month, 3 months, 6 months..... sweepstake anyone
Old 12 March 2008, 06:24 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

To put it all in perspective, I bought my house for £184k in 2003, it is now worth £315k 5 years later.

When I bought my house in 2003 all the headlines were that the bubble was about to burst and I was sh*tting myself thinking I was going to lose a fortune!
Old 12 March 2008, 06:33 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

To put it all in perspective, I bought my house for £184k in 2003, it is now worth £315k 5 years later.

When I bought my house in 2003 all the headlines were that the bubble was about to burst and I was sh*tting myself thinking I was going to lose a fortune!
Yep, so long as you're in it for the long term (i.e. the main objective is having somewhere to live) it will bounce back and then go up more. So long as you haven't overstretched yourself and can meet the payments then why worry, it's no different to renting.

It's only those with a big buy to let portfolio that stand to lose out, stuff 'em just like any other investment there is an element of risk involved.
Old 12 March 2008, 06:40 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Exactly, I don't know why people are so hung up over whether they go up or down, if my house drops back to £184k, the house I buy next will fall by the same amount, so I'm no better or worse off.

The exceptions are first time buyers, or investors, or people who can sell and not have to buy another house for some reason.
Old 12 March 2008, 07:59 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
New luxury apartments built near me last year. Starting prices at £190k upto £297k - £385k for the Duplex/Penthouse apartments.

They've sold 2 in just shy of 12 months.
Similar situation round here, but I'm not surprised - I don't think anyone really wants to live in a flat/apartment when they could have a house for similar money. The natural market for flats should be at the bottom end of the ladder but the developers keep building 'luxury' ones that nobody wants...

New houses round here are still selling, but second hand houses are definitely sticking on the market for ages. I'm glad I'm not intending to sell anytime soon.
Old 12 March 2008, 08:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Glad I got the ladder when I did.
Those tights are bitches, aren't they?

Put a dab of nail varnish on the end to stop it running any further
Old 12 March 2008, 08:12 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Prices seem to be static here. The same houses are still on the market after a year. Only the best, newish houses seem to sell at all.

I can't say if there will be a crash, but if no-one can sell at the current values then there will be a very long wait, or some silly offers accepted.

For now, people seem to be waiting in hope.
Old 12 March 2008, 08:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Houses round here are sitting around and have been for 18months, the very same houses!

Scotland is indeed an exception.

If no-one buys then prices need to drop or they won't sell ....
Old 12 March 2008, 08:27 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

My neighbour is a dreaded estate agent in Herts. He's struggling a bit and thinks prices will dip 5% over the next 6 months, but only because the rise last was silly.

No major dramas in his view, and houses are still shifting - just not at the inflated levels they were a year ago.
Old 12 March 2008, 09:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Things are lingering in Scotland too - at least in our area which grew spectacularly a few years ago, maybe other areas are catching up.

It is still far cheaper to rent than buy - so that is what we're doing again when we move this summer.

£800 rent a month with no buildings insurance, no maintenance, no depreciation, gardener included or £400k to buy something similar. Even if house prices simply stagnate, it saves me £1500 a month by renting.

When rents go up or house prices go down so they meet I'll consider buying back in again. Meantime I'm laughing, having sold out of this ridiculous bubble.

Last edited by john banks; 12 March 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12 March 2008, 09:43 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Depends where you live re rent/mortgage, and when you bought, of course.

The house next door has just been rented out at £1450 per month. I bought this house in Nov 05 on a fixed rate mortgage, with repayments at £833.

Plus, next door is a your usual **** tip rental. Done up a bit it would command nearer £2k per month.
Old 12 March 2008, 09:56 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Old 12 March 2008, 10:07 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Indeed.

I feel

Nothing in the world like getting lucky without any planning!
Old 13 March 2008, 09:37 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

As has been pointed out before, your house isnt really worth anything until you die, and then your kids get all the money anyway and spunk it on fast cars and holidays.

As you ( nearly ) always need to buy another house if you sell yours, and in most peoples cases it will be a more expensive one, then any gains made on yours are wiped out by the extra amount the other house has gone up - in fact you end up worse off if both houses have risen by the same percentage.

Personally dont give a stuff what my house is worth as long as I can keep paying the mortgage - not planning on selling it any time in the near future so its irrelevant.
Old 13 March 2008, 09:41 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well aren't we all a bunch of comedians!

Don't you know? You have to buy your own ladder before you can climb up it?
Old 13 March 2008, 11:08 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
It is still far cheaper to rent than buy - so that is what we're doing again when we move this summer.

Yup, by and large, you will have a far better level of property by renting than you will buying for the same money. It's definitely a renters market at the moment.
Old 13 March 2008, 02:17 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Not another HPC thread!

I think by now its clear to all whats happening with the market - anyone expecting anything other than continued sharp falls over the coming year will be in for a surprise, but I expect that doesn't leave many now (maybe just Tx ).

There is potentially much worse in the pipeline regarding the economic situation than just being concerned about house prices however..

Quick Reply: House Prices, again ....