Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2008, 12:48 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ye's are all sinners

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Fewer confessions and new sins

So, new sins then.. How do you get on?

Environmental pollution: I drive a scoob - guilty.

Genetic manipulation: Is this the same a genital mainupulation? If so, man, I am in trouble.

Accumulating excessive wealth: Unfortunatly I am sin free in this department.

Inflicting poverty: Don;t think I am guilty of this. Unless claiming the winnings off my flat mate when I beat him in Tiger woods counts.

Drug trafficking and consumption: Forgive me father.

Morally debatable experiments: Probably. You know the old cider/guiness/lager/lemonade experiment (drink a pint of each one after the other and try to not throw up - its impossible)

Violation of fundamental rights of human nature: Probably not
Old 11 March 2008, 12:52 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not Catholic, so not applicable in my case

ps - Catholic church is one of the wealthiest institutions in the world. Wonder how that works....
Old 11 March 2008, 01:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I love how they make it up as they go along these bunch of nut nuts!

Not a chance in hell the pope has never had a **** either! probably over some small boy though in his case.
Old 11 March 2008, 01:13 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru

Not a chance in hell the pope has never had a **** either! probably over some small boy though in his case.

You do realise some god-fearing nut will infract you for that!
Old 11 March 2008, 01:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You actually know that then?

Les
Old 11 March 2008, 01:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam

Yeah. I'd prefer it if they let God deal with me personally but they'll take matters into their own hands. I have points to spare anyway.
Old 11 March 2008, 01:17 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You actually know that then?

Les
The Pope is a ******? yup
Old 11 March 2008, 01:31 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

"Accumulating excessive wealth"

Real funny coming from the Pope, leader of the biggest "gang" in the world, The Catholic Church!
Old 11 March 2008, 02:07 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Note how jizzing on choirboy's faces isn't up there with these new mortal sins. Weird that innit ?
And as for violating human rights, I think the Catholic church has one up on Hitler on that score.
Old 11 March 2008, 02:58 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I like the pope, the pope smokes dope

I was damned beforehand, I'm sure I'm re-damned under the new rules.
Old 11 March 2008, 03:01 PM
Lisawrx

I think I'm doing better under the 'new sins'.
Old 11 March 2008, 03:03 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

I knew I had seen the pope around before somewhere....

Old 11 March 2008, 03:04 PM
Lisawrx

Old 11 March 2008, 03:57 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Devildog
Not Catholic, so not applicable in my case

ps - Catholic church is one of the wealthiest institutions in the world. Wonder how that works....
Big shares in Durex?

Old 11 March 2008, 04:01 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Fewer confessions and new sins

So, new sins then.. How do you get on?

Environmental pollution: I drive a scoob - guilty.

Genetic manipulation: Is this the same a genital mainupulation? If so, man, I am in trouble.

Accumulating excessive wealth: Unfortunatly I am sin free in this department.

Inflicting poverty: Don;t think I am guilty of this. Unless claiming the winnings off my flat mate when I beat him in Tiger woods counts.

Drug trafficking and consumption: Forgive me father.

Morally debatable experiments: Probably. You know the old cider/guiness/lager/lemonade experiment (drink a pint of each one after the other and try to not throw up - its impossible)

Violation of fundamental rights of human nature: Probably not
Know the feeling, but the accumulation can be left to the Vatican and the oil companies!
Old 11 March 2008, 04:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Big shares in Durex?

LOL

I was going down the hypocrisy route

Anyway, what we have here is the Vatican finally admitting, in a round about sort of way, that the Catholic church itself is one big sinner.

About time
Old 12 March 2008, 12:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The Pope is a ******? yup
I could not believe you unless you have evidence!

As I understand it, the Catholic religion accepts that everyone, without exception, is likely to commit sins during their life, so nothing new in its announcement then Devildog.

Les
Old 12 March 2008, 12:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

And there was me thinking that the Holy Bible was regarded as a special, defining document that supposedly contained the Word of God - including what constituted sin.

But, apparently not - it seems that, instead, sin can be defined not by scripture, but by modern political fashion. Has God changed His mind in the last few years?
Old 12 March 2008, 03:38 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

I could not believe you unless you have evidence!

As I understand it, the Catholic religion accepts that everyone, without exception, is likely to commit sins during their life, so nothing new in its announcement then Devildog.

Les
It would have to Les, wouldn't it?

My point is A) I'm not Catholic, so any Papal decrees are, well, **** all concern of mine and B) possibly the richest institution in the world really should think carefully about decreeing accumulation of wealth as a sin.
Old 12 March 2008, 04:33 PM
Holy Ghost
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have to say i barked out laughing when i heard this gem on the news.

dear holy see,

why look at the speck of dust in your brother's eye yet ignore the giant redwood in your own?

suggest thou shalt not:

1. elect a pope who, as a combat member of the hitler youth in 1945, swore a personal oath of allegiance to der fuhrer until death

2. seek to cover up incidences of child abuse nor protect abuser-priests for the sake of reputation and legal damages

3. hoard thy own 'obscene wealth' while damning such wealth in others

4. condemn the use of condoms in areas riven by HIV

5. condemn the use of practical contraception as sinful

6. condemn homosexuality while hypocritically tolerating it amongst your own priesthood

7. hold misogynistic views against women within your organisation

8. erect ugly modern churches that are a blot on the landscape

9. continue to provide film & TV drama with cliched characters who have a) lost their faith, b) become alcoholic, c) conduct illicit affairs with local housewives, d) become amateur detectives or e) all four

10. er, that's it!

with regard to point 1, if the (current) pope is god's representative on earth, then does that make god a senior member of the celestial **** party? discuss.

Last edited by Holy Ghost; 12 March 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 13 March 2008, 01:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It would have to Les, wouldn't it?

My point is A) I'm not Catholic, so any Papal decrees are, well, **** all concern of mine and B) possibly the richest institution in the world really should think carefully about decreeing accumulation of wealth as a sin.
I have no idea how wealthy the Catholic Church is to be honest, although I think it is pretty well off by all accounts, and I can understand your comment about it. I have had a look at those new sins and as a whole I can see nothing too far wrong with the list. It may be that they are talking about those who have accumulated billions but feel that they have to keep on collaring even more money on top of what they have got. I always wonder why people feel thay have to do that when they already have more than they could ever spend however hard they tried! Maybe its a matter how all that cash is used and whether it is for good works or for selfish reasons. On the other hand the Catholic Church may say that it needs the wealth it has got in order to maintain its position so that it can continue to do good.

I personally do not know enough to do anything but keep an open mind on the matter.

I agree with the sentiments about globalisation and don't see too much good in that.

Les
Old 13 March 2008, 01:58 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam

He'll end up being shot for that, i got infracted for calling PSL a *******, calling the pope a w@nker and a pedo will get ya bumped off for sure!
Old 13 March 2008, 03:06 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

I have no idea how wealthy the Catholic Church is to be honest, although I think it is pretty well off by all accounts, and I can understand your comment about it. I have had a look at those new sins and as a whole I can see nothing too far wrong with the list. It may be that they are talking about those who have accumulated billions but feel that they have to keep on collaring even more money on top of what they have got. I always wonder why people feel thay have to do that when they already have more than they could ever spend however hard they tried! Maybe its a matter how all that cash is used and whether it is for good works or for selfish reasons. On the other hand the Catholic Church may say that it needs the wealth it has got in order to maintain its position so that it can continue to do good.

I personally do not know enough to do anything but keep an open mind on the matter.

I agree with the sentiments about globalisation and don't see too much good in that.

Les
Les,

I take it you've never been to the Vatican City in Rome and seen it all first hand?

The Vatican (as a global entity) has a net worth estimated at over $1bn, and possibly significantly more. Thats net worth, ie "surplus".

Its also fair to say that some of its investments would give rise to significant moral questions.

Last edited by Devildog; 13 March 2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 13 March 2008, 08:53 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Seems like the ideal time for this,

Dave was bragging to his boss one day, "You know, I know everyone there is to know. Just name someone, anyone, and I know them." Tired of his boasting, his boss called his bluff, "OK, Dave, how about Tom Cruise? "No drama's boss, Tom and I are old friends, and I can prove it."So Dave and his boss fly out to Hollywood and knock on Tom Cruise's door and sure enough, Tom Cruise shouts, "Dave! What's happening?!? Great to see you! Come on in for a beer!"
Although impressed, Dave's boss is still sceptical. After they leave Cruise's house, he tells Dave that he thinks Dave's knowing Cruise was just lucky."No, no, just name anyone else," Dave says."President Bush," his boss quickly retorts."Yup," Dave says, "Old buddies, let's fly out to Washington." and off they go. At the White House, Bush spots Dave on the tour and motions him and his boss over, saying, "Dave, what a surprise, I was just on my way to a meeting, but you and your friend come on in and let's have a cup of coffee first and catch up."
Well, the boss is very shaken by now but still not totally convinced. After they leave the White House grounds he expresses his doubts to Dave, who again implores him to name anyone else, "The Pope," his boss replies."Sure!" says Dave." "My folks are from Poland, and I've known the Pope a long time."
So off they fly to Rome. Dave and his boss are assembled with the masses in Vatican Square when Dave says, This will never work. I can't catch the Pope's eye among all these people. I know all the guards so tell you what, let me just go upstairs and I'll come out on the balcony with the Pope."And he disappears into the crowd headed toward the Vatican.Sure enough, half an hour later Dave emerges with the Pope on the balcony but by the time Dave returns, he finds that his boss has had a heart attack and is surrounded by paramedics.Working his way to his boss' side, Dave asks him, "What happened? "His boss looks up and says, "I was doing fine until you and the Pope came out on the balcony and the man next to me said,
"Who's that on the balcony with Dave?"

Old 13 March 2008, 08:56 PM
Lisawrx

Old but always makes me laugh.
Old 14 March 2008, 03:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Les,

I take it you've never been to the Vatican City in Rome and seen it all first hand?

The Vatican (as a global entity) has a net worth estimated at over $1bn, and possibly significantly more. Thats net worth, ie "surplus".

Its also fair to say that some of its investments would give rise to significant moral questions.
No never seen it Devildog, and don't know anything about its investments, dodgy or otherwise. Never felt the need to investigate it to be honest. I would expect there to be as much political "hoo hah" there as in any other big organisation since it is being administered by people. Maybe not for the reasons of personal profit though.

Thats a good one Bob T, mad me laugh alright

Les