Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are you scared of the law?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2008, 05:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you scared of the law?

A current thread in NSR has prompted to me to think about this, now I narrowly avoided a custodial sentence a couple of years ago for preventing someone damaging my car. Basically involved dragging a person that was sitting on my bonnet and threatening to scratch it, off of the car and away from it. For this I was arrested and charged with assault

Now there have been a few times when I wanted to react to someone, most recently was someone that jumped out of his car at a junction because I wouldn't let him in front of me. He wanted to fight - I was scared! purely because of being arrested if it came down to defending myself or my car.

Does anyone else feel worried like this?
Old 27 February 2008, 05:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah ...... I'd take the hammer out the boot and rearrange their teeth
Old 27 February 2008, 05:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Old 27 February 2008, 05:31 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

It seems if you have a job, car generally a life you have so much more to lose by "defending" yourself/car etc. Why the law seems to protect the a**eholes in these situations is, for want of a better word PUMP
Old 27 February 2008, 05:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I would laugh like **** at someone wanting to give me a hiding thru road rage, then It would be a call to the Police at the scene to say I have been assaulted, then how do I claim
Old 27 February 2008, 05:49 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'm scared of the inaction of the law when it comes to serious crime.

I'm even more scared of teh CPS trying to "make up" a case against me for what is very minor inccident.

Unlike the average criminal; I do have something to lose.
Old 27 February 2008, 05:52 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm scared that the person who starts the trouble is less likely to be prosecuted then the victim (especilally if the victim gives the aggressor a good beating)
Old 27 February 2008, 05:54 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Unless you commit a really serious assualt, get caught dealing lots of class a drugs or large scale theft/deception, the chances of going to prison are very, very slight.

This is probably one of the hardest countries in the world to get sent down in, unfortunately.
Old 27 February 2008, 05:59 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

yup that happens... sad.

true story in papers:

robber breaks into house middle of night expecting no1

theres loadsa ppl just come home to find robber and then they beat him up lol

police come and charge residents (victims) with GBH cos they "beat the guy too badly"

wot a load of rubbish
Old 27 February 2008, 06:11 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

not scared of the police at all they have to catch me first, and beleive me that is not as easy as you might think, backhander to a few witnesses and sorted, your word and witnesses, versus their word.
depends on situation as well, police are not scary, 5 years is.
Old 27 February 2008, 06:21 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I have total contempt for the police and the law this government has forced upon us. I regard them as completely untrustworthy when I have to deal with them, which is not very often.

Andy
Old 27 February 2008, 06:25 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

"am i scared of the law" NO! Mainly because I don't make habbit of breaking it!
Do I get road rage - ab-so-bloody-lutely - but when their too big for me to sort out - I send round my hubby!!!
I had one twit who cut me up on a roundabout when I had all the kids in the car! He was infront of me being VERy clever - giving me the finger and laughing and we were going the same way - i was in the scoob and he thought he was so clever - even waved goodbye to me as we pulled apart! I was raging - he was a bloody idiot and nearly wrote my car off with the kids in!
I double backed and saw the dead end road he took - watched him park up!
Came home, sent Gooner round there - low and behold - after a short while - the bloke pulled up in TESCO car park and ran off left his girlfriend there in the car, in the middle of the road and literally ran away!
Old 27 February 2008, 06:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
A current thread in NSR has prompted to me to think about this, now I narrowly avoided a custodial sentence a couple of years ago for preventing someone damaging my car. Basically involved dragging a person that was sitting on my bonnet and threatening to scratch it, off of the car and away from it. For this I was arrested and charged with assault

Now there have been a few times when I wanted to react to someone, most recently was someone that jumped out of his car at a junction because I wouldn't let him in front of me. He wanted to fight - I was scared! purely because of being arrested if it came down to defending myself or my car.

Yes, and the speed at which your situation becomes up **** creek !

I got jumped by a fella and the result was me standing, him dead !

I was cautioned pending cause of death.

Turned out ok in the end but yes the law has no regard for good people only actions and reactions.
Old 27 February 2008, 07:26 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Yes, and the speed at which your situation becomes up **** creek !

I got jumped by a fella and the result was me standing, him dead !

I was cautioned pending cause of death.

Turned out ok in the end but yes the law has no regard for good people only actions and reactions.

, wow!
Old 27 February 2008, 07:29 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

nice
Old 27 February 2008, 07:33 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I'm really with you on this one Cookstar.

I'm often scared of my own reaction in potential "situations". It really isn't fair that we cannot lay a hand on anybody beit in defense or to right a wrong.

A few years back I was driving with my mrs back from work. On a busy road I came around a corner and found a pissed up bloke in the middle of the road. As I approached he put out his hand and said "fookin stop". I gave plenty of room and gestured him to continue crossing..
He must have misread it as he approached the car, banged on the window and opened the door. I took off the belt but had second thoughts and closed the door and locked it. It took ***** to do this as I really wanted to drag the ******* out of the road and give him what for.
I just visualised the consequences with whitnesses in other cars who probably didn't see the beginning and would perhaps take note of my no. plate etc....

Just wish I could have met him down a dark alley shortly after

Nick

PS I know I did the right thing though. Just wish the law would allow "us" to look after ourselves.

Last edited by skoobidude; 27 February 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 08:48 PM
Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mew
robber breaks into house middle of night expecting no1

theres loadsa ppl just come home to find robber and then they beat him up lol
wot a load of rubbish

a classic example - if you say its ok for this to have happened where do you want to draw the line? Can i kneecap you for speeding? Should i be able to give you a slap for having an illegal exhaust on your car?

You choose to live in a land with LAWS...you either have them, or you dont.
Old 27 February 2008, 09:49 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I'm really with you on this one Cookstar.

I'm often scared of my own reaction in potential "situations". It really isn't fair that we cannot lay a hand on anybody beit in defense or to right a wrong.
Bollox. Reasonable self defence is fine, I have unfortunately been there and done that. Red mist and going after someone who's running away isn't. Don't talk tosh.
Old 27 February 2008, 09:58 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Three years ago i came home after a night out, admittedley i was a bit piddled but not out of my head if you know what i mean, anyway i normally lock my front door when i come in but this particular night i was sat on the sofa watching tv with the intention of locking up before i went to bed.

Anyway i fell asleep on the sofa - the next thing i'm aware of this presence, i woke whilst lay on the sofa some big 6ft bloke towering over me. I leapt up and had him by the throat, i wont say much but lets just say i ejected him from my house

I did not have time to think tbh, but afterwards i was shaking like f**k.

I rang the police and told them what had happened (to a degree)

They told me that if i had harmed him in anyway i could be arrested for assault if he wanted to press charges, i mean WTF???? this t**t was standing in my fecking living room ready to smash my head in with a stone (i found a big stone at the side of my sofa the next day)

What was i meant to do.

That comment p***ed me off to some tune.

Last edited by The Chief; 27 February 2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 09:59 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by andy97
I have total contempt for the police and the law this government has forced upon us. I regard them as completely untrustworthy when I have to deal with them, which is not very often.

Andy
I agree... the police are nowt but tax collectors and completely untrustworthy. I'd rather take the law into my own hands rather than phone the poLICE!
Old 27 February 2008, 10:03 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

This is the problem with the blooming press in this country at the moment - report anything that will sell newspapers regardless of truth or accuracy!

As a member of the legal profession it drives me bloo dy crazy! You are perfectly entitled to defend yourselves as long as what you do is reasonable in the circumstances and is either a response to a threat/violence or in anticipation of violence. If the threat has passed then that becomes revenge and isn't permitted.

Sometimes it's difficult to determine whether what someone has done is reasonable in the circumstances and is why, quite rightly, the matter is left to a jury to decide.

Also, please don't shout at me or slag off the lawyers like me - remember that we can only work within the legislation that the GOVERNMENT makes and does so WITHOUT input from those of us who truly do the job.
Old 27 February 2008, 10:15 PM
fraser87uk
Scooby Regular

TBH im more scared of the infraction police...
Old 27 February 2008, 10:27 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97

Andy
Bit ott mate. Its like saying all scooby drivers drive their cars like ar$eholes. It just aint true.

Im sure a lot of police think that some of the laws this country have in place are crap too but at the end of the day they do their jobs just like the lawyers, cps etc. (in some cases they are jobsworths but thats life )

There is a thing called reasonable force & taking pre-emptive action if the situation at that time requires it. Obviously if you go ott ie you knock the aggressor out with a punch then whilst he is ko'd you stamp on his head..then you may have some explaining to do.
Old 27 February 2008, 10:38 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Interesting topic, and I know where you're coming from. But really, the law is there to protect everyone, even scumbag lowlife ****ers. So if you are worried you will break the law in a certain situation, you're probably worried that you'll lose control and cause someone serious damage, or as mentioned, death.

If your actions are reasonable, or if you can present them as such, then you shouldn't be worried. I completely understand dragging someone off of your car for threatening to scratch it, but would someone who drives an old lump of a banger feel the same way? It would be quite easy to dress that up as assault, really!

I live in Texas at the moment, and the reason I do not own a gun is that I'm scared I'll use it, as unlikely as it would ever be, despite the fact the law would protect me over a house intruder, I'd hate to shoot someone and I'm sure I'd regret that split second decision, so I prevent myself from ever being in that position.

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 27 February 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 27 February 2008, 11:06 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Why be afraid...??Do what you have to do the face up to the consequence..

I have done 2 terms at her Madgies pleasure when i was younger..

After the first couple of days,its a doddle..
Old 28 February 2008, 08:35 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Yes....due to a previous conviction I have to tread very carefully
Old 28 February 2008, 09:48 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
"am i scared of the law" NO! Mainly because I don't make habbit of breaking it!
Do I get road rage - ab-so-bloody-lutely - but when their too big for me to sort out - I send round my hubby!!!
I had one twit who cut me up on a roundabout when I had all the kids in the car! He was infront of me being VERy clever - giving me the finger and laughing and we were going the same way - i was in the scoob and he thought he was so clever - even waved goodbye to me as we pulled apart! I was raging - he was a bloody idiot and nearly wrote my car off with the kids in!
Came home, sent Gooner round there - low and behold - after a short while - the bloke pulled up in TESCO car park and ran off left his girlfriend there in the car, in the middle of the road and literally ran away!
I dunno, but isn't this a bit of an over reaction?
Old 28 February 2008, 09:57 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

when the judge told me that any more shinanigans and they would lock me up, i turned over a new leaf

tend to think about things a bit more now, must be getting old
Old 28 February 2008, 10:03 AM
Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
Came home, sent Gooner round there
For what purpose? Do you think explaining his actions where going to help him or was the intention to assault him? This is EXACTLY the point - you can have people going round extracting revenge like this, particularly as they tend to be lifes lower ladder inhabitants in the first place and therefore far more likely to damage each other.

Quick Reply: Are you scared of the law?