Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Saturday working question

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2008, 09:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Saturday working question

A youngster I know went for an interview for a trainee Negotiator at an Estate Agent. He was told hours would be Mon - Fri and every second Saturday, 9.00 - 6.00. Total 43.5 hours per week on average. No time off in week.

Now I had thought that common practice was that if you work Saturdays then common practice was to have a day of the week off in lieu?

Comments please. dl
Old 26 February 2008, 09:27 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Nope, it's not common practice... purely down to the particular T&C's of the company employing staff...
Old 26 February 2008, 09:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks DCI GH

Seeing as you're on the ball this morning would I be right in assuming that the minimum salary he would be due would be £5.87 (min wage over 21?) x 43.5 hours x 52 weeks = £13,278? Thanks, d
Old 26 February 2008, 09:38 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by David Lock
Thanks DCI GH

Seeing as you're on the ball this morning would I be right in assuming that the minimum salary he would be due would be £5.87 (min wage over 21?) x 43.5 hours x 52 weeks = £13,278? Thanks, d
That would seem about right, although the use of the word "on average" means that they would probably only use the one Saturday in two at busy peak selling times... so in reality it could be a bit less than that figure.

But it's all about experience, and as soon as he has it his employment potential increases, along with his salary
Old 26 February 2008, 09:39 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

is DCI now working in the HR department
Old 26 February 2008, 09:41 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Nope, as I still have a life, friends, etc....
Old 26 February 2008, 09:42 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Nope, as I still have a life, friends, etc....
Old 26 February 2008, 09:44 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

......... ok, two of those answers may have been a slight fib
Old 26 February 2008, 09:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Less of this trolling please ST. Just get back on the jokes - you'll find a funny one one day

Thank you Mr Hunt..........
Old 26 February 2008, 09:51 AM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Nope, not common practice, the misconception if you have not worked before i.e. just left school, college or uni or possibly come from a traditional office envronment is that you "should" get time in lieu.

This however is not the case. Certain industries have peak periods and or have to fufill the needs of their clients........... as an example, the automotive industry, almost every area related to aftersales or new and used car sales enjoys the majority of their weekly traffic on saturdays and sundays.

The public tend to put things off until the weekend i.e. tyres, brake pads, looking at a new car........... the list goes on. Therefor the suppliers to people such as ATS, Kwik fit, etc etc have to open on Saturdays in order to not only ensure they enjoy maximum sales penetration but also to secure the business in the first place. During the process of securing "national" business / contracts clients will make it perfectly clear during the tender process their hours of business and ask that respondents provide details of their opening hours.

Estate agents are no different, peak period is the weekend because that is when people have more time to both browse and or view properties.

Generally you will find, as you have indicated that such businesses operate a rota so that you get every other week off or only work 1 in 3 dependant on staff levels.

I remember working 8-6 every week day (plus overtime) and every saturday from 8.00-1.00pm.................. their were no if buts or maybes, you either did it or didn't have a job!

If your friend doesn't like the idea of working every other saturday then quite possibly he is looking at the wrong industry sector for him. Also factor in that once trained he potentially could be paid on commision only as opposed to a base salary + commision..................

Also then factor in that the housing market is pretty flat at the moment, it may pick up once spring is upon us but I know for a fact that estate agents local to me have all said that things are very slow and that it is only the lower end of the market that is moving generally.

Look at outer London i.e. Hemel and surrounding area and things are even slower........... My brother is the manager of an estate agents and he has said it's tough place to be at the moment! He's been dong it for 15 years and has earn't good money for many years, the last 6 months have led him to look at his options.

Loads to consider and it's not as straight forward as thinking oooh I could earn boat loads of money as an estate agent, it is essential that your friend considers the current market, long term future and is going to do something he will enjoy no matter the pressure of the job or times when financially it could be very tough.

Regards

GB
Old 26 February 2008, 09:52 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

damm right, the 'etc' was bloody suspicious

when I used to work in retail years ago, we had a day off in lieu of saturdays, but then we worked most saturdays. Estate agents are slightly different, as you are only working the odd saturday and they spread out the days off over the calender month by the looks of it.

Anyway I am sure you dont want your offspring hanging around the house during the week ...bloody trouble that is
Old 26 February 2008, 09:53 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Less of this trolling please ST. Just get back on the jokes - you'll find a funny one one day

Thank you Mr Hunt..........

harsh but fair
Old 26 February 2008, 09:56 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gingerboy
LOADS OF GOOD INFORMATION.

Regards

GB
A good reply there...

It's all about experience as well as longer term prospects though.... and an estate agents is a perfect launch pad for gaining experience with customer relations, fast turnarounds, deadlines, commercial and financial issues..

And its a really good background to have when applying for other industry posts, and as an employer of core staff I would look favorably on a new recruit pitching up with it at my gaff....
Old 26 February 2008, 10:10 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks GB.

My initial question sprang mostly from my kid's friends who did shop work where they obviously worked Staurdays and often Sundays but had time off in the week (rather than overtime which they would heve preferred).

I note you comments about the current market conditions and had already spoken to the lad about this aspect.

Not clear about your commission only comments as how does this comply with minimum wage regulations I wonder. d
Old 26 February 2008, 12:41 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Thats a fair point regarding minimum wage David............ when my brother mentioned he and his colleagues were on commision only I never thought about the minimum age issues. Conversley I don't think any of them had until things tightened up of late.

I know that when things were going well and interest rates were low they were all earning very good money, so much so my brother pretty much cleared his mortgage . I'll ask him the question regarding the minimum wage issue, maybe trainees get a basic of some descrition.

I know that it's one of those professions that gets a lot of stick due to the nature of it, but, I think if you are good at it and can last the course then it's like anything, you can and will be succesful.

I went from being a mechanic to working in the automotive parts distribution industry to the incentive and motivation industry, the last change was the biggest but I certainly don't regret it, infact if anything I wish I had made the leap earlier.

I'll try and get hold of my brother and give you some feedback regarding min wage.

Regards

GB
Old 26 February 2008, 12:51 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks again GB. I'm very old now so I take the long view on these things. Of course Estate Agency work has its drawbacks but there are a lot of positives such as learning basic office skills, team work, selling, dealing with real people and you get out and about. Usually something different every day. Plus later on if you want to work part-time and have experience then many Agents want someone to cover or just show houses at weekends. Shame that the market is looking to go flat for a couple of years. dl
Old 26 February 2008, 01:31 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I'm very old now
True
Old 26 February 2008, 01:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should we be using the words "working" and "Estate Agent" in the same post??

Old 26 February 2008, 01:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
True
That's quite enough of that kid......

Just remember that age and treachery will always overcome youth and ability
Old 26 February 2008, 03:02 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

It all depends on what the employer states as their conditions of employment etc...

Many companies ( retail shops in particular ) will give a day off in the week as it works out better for them to have as many staff as possible on sat, which is the busiest day, and give them a monday or tuesday off when they arent as busy rather than having to pay the extra wages.
Old 26 February 2008, 03:04 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the working time directive cannot be opted out of if under 18.... I'm gonna check it out...
Old 26 February 2008, 03:06 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

It's not possible for an under 18 to work more than 40 hours in a week....
If you are under 18 and over school leaving age (you are under school leaving age until the end of the summer term of the school year in which you turn 16) you are classed as a young worker.

Young workers cannot usually be made to work more that eight hours a day or 40 hours a week. These hours can't be averaged over a longer period. There are some exceptions to these rules.
Old 26 February 2008, 04:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Clare but the kid's 21 plus so he'll be stuck with it if he is offered the job. d
Old 26 February 2008, 05:32 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
That would seem about right, although the use of the word "on average" means that they would probably only use the one Saturday in two at busy peak selling times... so in reality it could be a bit less than that figure.

But it's all about experience, and as soon as he has it his employment potential increases, along with his salary
Recently most agents have been busy for most of the year and when they are not, the juniors still go in so the senior people can have time off.

If they say "every other Saturday" they mean it.
Old 26 February 2008, 05:48 PM
nooobyscoooby
Scooby Regular

Trainees in London are paid £20-22K plus an annual bonus of around 10-20% depending on the year

That drops to £16-18K in the sticks.

Depends too if they are doing their APC to get their MRICS qualifications which the company will be paying for and the company will want to write in £3-5K as being repayable if the individual leaves within 1-2 years of qualifying.
Old 26 February 2008, 06:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I know the agent mentioned £10500 upwards as the starting point (this is in the semi-sticks) which I thought was pretty s,hitty which is why I asked about minimum wages. Stilll not clear what salary would be offered.
Old 26 February 2008, 06:37 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Minimum wage is £5.52 as far as I am aware For aged 22 and over

£4.60 aged 18 to 21 inclusive

Pretty bad really
Old 26 February 2008, 06:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Oh, and I am sure if a Saturday is involved, you usually get a day off sometime in the week. Would need to check that out though
Old 26 February 2008, 06:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not enough to keep him in shiny suits and Garnier Fructis hair products, let alone buy a Mini Cooper.
Old 27 February 2008, 08:21 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

And how frighteningly true !!!

The one point about the wages being 'crap' though - what do they expect ??? they are starting a job on the bottom rung with no relevant qualifications and no experience. Why should they earn more than minimum wage, or more than someone in a factory, a cleaner etc... just because their job is considered a bit more flash ?

As with a lot of jobs, I'm sure after 10 years with some exams and a load of experience then they can earn a decent wage.

Compare the min. wage with starting salaries for a lot of graduates, who may have spent 3 or 4 years in UNI, plus 2 years doing A levels and has a big debt from it, and it isnt that bad for someone who has done FA since their GCSE's.

Quick Reply: Saturday working question