Well done Porsche - London CC

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2008, 09:48 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well done Porsche - London CC

BBC NEWS | England | London | Porsche challenges C-charge rise

Luxury carmaker Porsche is to challenge plans to increase London's congestion charge to £25-a-day for some vehicles.
Old 19 February 2008, 09:54 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

Good for them! If it's a congestion charge then vehicles should be charged on the amount of road space they take up, not the emissions - a blatant lie by Red Ken and cronies
Old 19 February 2008, 09:59 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

4.8 litre cayenne chelsea tractors, bumped up the kerbs outside some chinless boutique wine bar should be fecking blown up IMHO.

whats wrong with using a scooby for the school run lol

ps: they won't get anywhere with this.....
Old 19 February 2008, 10:10 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Sorry, don't agree with the challenge, especially by a car maker that hasn't anything in its range which does over 30 mpg. If car makers aren't pushed to produce cleaner vehicles (especially the high end polluters) then they won't. I'm no eco hero BTW.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:13 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

But its really nothing to do with saving the planet is it? - imo its all about more taxation plain and simple.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:14 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
they won't get anywhere with this.....

Sadly, I have to agree. Ken will just ignore anything Porsche do. The courts will do feckall either.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:17 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza
4.8 litre cayenne chelsea tractors, bumped up the kerbs outside some chinless boutique wine bar should be fecking blown up IMHO.

whats wrong with using a scooby for the school run lol

ps: they won't get anywhere with this.....
We've got three of these, one each for me and the wife, the other is waiting in the garage for our daughter to pass her test and we're e getting another one for our son, so he can drive round in the field.

daughter 11 son 7 years old

Old 19 February 2008, 10:18 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Sorry, don't agree with the challenge, especially by a car maker that hasn't anything in its range which does over 30 mpg. If car makers aren't pushed to produce cleaner vehicles (especially the high end polluters) then they won't. I'm no eco hero BTW.
Sell your Subaru then and buy a Prius.

Porsche aren't bothered about the cars they produce. They'll still sell in the same numbers, but they are acting on behalf of their customers.

You get a decent job, save to buy your dream car, and then Red Ken hit's you with £25 a day to get to work.

25x5 = £125 a week x 48 weeks a year = £6000 just to get to work.

Well done Porsche. Just hope other car manufactures (including Subaru) join in.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:24 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think the grounds of the appeal are perfectly fair.
On one hand the Mayor's office are trying to be green and "protect" the enviroment. But if your willing to pay £25, you can harm it, no issues lol!

Lets be honest about it, the older 3000cc and below cars that are not in the higher bracket and only pay £8 are coughing out just as much pollution, if not more.. But its clear that they CANT afford to pay the extra, so the Mayor's office will just continue to skim them for £8 a day (something better than nothing) and just hit the slightly better off.

Stupid idea, and while they are gaining the green vote, they are making themselves look more and more stupid.

Nutta555, out of interest what MPG are you getting? Not having a dig but at the end of the day there are a lot of poor emissions cars out there. Porsche are just having the ***** to stand up and say the grounds of the increase are 2 faced.

Bit like saying speeding should only be a fine. They prefer you NOT to speed, but if you insist on speeding, please pay £60 per offence and keep driving.

Last edited by Snazy; 19 February 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:29 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at you lot. TfL predict 33 000 cars will be affected. That's maybe 60 000 voters. How many voters in London - 1, 2, 3 million? And I imagine the majority don't particularly like living in a stinky city where people use powerful cars to do an average of 6mph or whatever it is in rush hour.

SN is an enthusiasts' website but not for the first time I suspect it doesn't represent the views of the majority.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:29 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

Porsche aren't bothered about the cars they produce. They'll still sell in the same numbers, but they are acting on behalf of their customers.

You get a decent job, save to buy your dream car, and then Red Ken hit's you with £25 a day to get to work.

lol you know the best part..... once you have paid £6k a year to get INTO London, you then have to pay upwards of £12k a year (central secure parking) to park lol

The saddest part, public transport is so crap, people are willing to pay.... £18k a year just to get to and from work and NOT use public transport.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:31 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Question

Would you really commute in a Porsche? Personally I don't see why anyone should drive in London except delivery drivers, buses and taxis... It's a painful and horrible experience, why put yourself through it!?
Old 19 February 2008, 10:32 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

As I've said, I'm no eco warrior as you can tell from the cars I have owned. I am selling the current Impreza I own, for another Elise.

As I've said above, if car makers aren't pushed into making more efficient engines then they simply won't bother. Oil prices look like they're not going to come down anytime soon so why not push for cleaner efficient engines, it'd be foolhardy not to. In fact I'd be more draconian than Ken has been, I think he's been quite restrained.

I wonder how many people defending ultra polluting cars were in favour of the smoking ban in pubs
Old 19 February 2008, 10:34 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Look at you lot. TfL predict 33 000 cars will be affected. That's maybe 60 000 voters. How many voters in London - 1, 2, 3 million? And I imagine the majority don't particularly like living in a stinky city where people use powerful cars to do an average of 6mph or whatever it is in rush hour.

SN is an enthusiasts' website but not for the first time I suspect it doesn't represent the views of the majority.

lol somehow I dont think only 60,000 will be getting fed up of it now. Businesses, residents etc. As for the average rush hour speed. All a little mis quoted really. There are jam spots like most cities, but also a lot that flows just fine
People really have got a strange impression of London. lol.

If you look at New York city, and the jams there, you could ask why people bother with cars at all. As you only get a stereo typical view of the city, its quite inaccurate.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:35 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

And for the above, why would I want a Prius, perhaps the most overhyped pile of motoring dearth on the road. I'll just get another 49 mpg (motorway) Elise
Old 19 February 2008, 10:35 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
The saddest part, public transport is so crap, people are willing to pay.... £18k a year just to get to and from work and NOT use public transport.
But it isn't. Really - I mean in the grand scheme of things - Public transport in London, is ****ing brilliant.

If someone is willing to pay £18K a year to go to and from work, then good for them, but no one is going to tell me that its a worth while price to not use public transport.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:36 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
As I've said, I'm no eco warrior as you can tell from the cars I have owned. I am selling the current Impreza I own, for another Elise.

As I've said above, if car makers aren't pushed into making more efficient engines then they simply won't bother. Oil prices look like they're not going to come down anytime soon so why not push for cleaner efficient engines, it'd be foolhardy not to. In fact I'd be more draconian than Ken has been, I think he's been quite restrained.

I wonder how many people defending ultra polluting cars were in favour of the smoking ban in pubs
IF its an enviromental stand, then the cars should be banned, end of. Not allowed in if they are willing to pay more than others.

Clare, London is a big place, lots of busy people visiting for short periods of time, shoppers, meetings etc.
Public transpost is shocking and expensive, so driving is the sensible option.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:37 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
But it isn't. Really - I mean in the grand scheme of things - Public transport in London, is ****ing brilliant.

If someone is willing to pay £18K a year to go to and from work, then good for them, but no one is going to tell me that its a worth while price to not use public transport.
My personal opinion. Over crowded, unreliable, dirty and too expensive.
I choose to drive any time
Old 19 February 2008, 10:37 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I doubt it - Porcshe are doing this because they are concerned about sales - You don't spend money on sales you have already made.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:39 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

London public transport crap?? I don't believe it...
Old 19 February 2008, 10:39 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

My personal opinion. Over crowded, unreliable, dirty and too expensive.
I choose to drive any time
London transport isn't unrealible - Links into london aren't unreliable - My flat mate gets the same train from Worthing to London Bridge every single day, and he has may be 2 occaisions a year where there is some problem.

Over crowded, possibly, dirty, on the undergroud definitley - Worth paying £18K to avoid? You must be mental.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:40 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

thats all well and good, however the ones that will really suffer are the one's who've bought their cars on credit, are up to their eyeballes in debt, and out just to impress a few sad people....

never mind..

Red Ken needs shooting anyway, we all know that!!!!
if not only on the grounds of his policies, for his stupid weasle face and pathetic voice!!!!

i dont have to drive around london, so it doesn't affect me anyway, however, there are other ways to get around town (ps: i'm not a greenie by any stretch of the imagination) car sharing works well with this scheme though!!!
although £25 is a bit steep!!!
Old 19 February 2008, 10:41 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Would you really commute in a Porsche?
If it was my only car, yes.

Just because you own a Porsche doesn't mean you're rich.

Remember also that this fine effects people living inside the zone.

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Personally I don't see why anyone should drive in London except delivery drivers, buses and taxis... It's a painful and horrible experience, why put yourself through it!?
And sat on dirty public transport isn't painfull?

Plus, what about those people who don't live in London and don't have easy access to Public transport?

Sounds like you've been brainwashed by Red Ken and his mate Gordon Brown.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:41 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

IF its an enviromental stand, then the cars should be banned, end of. Not allowed in if they are willing to pay more than others.

Clare, London is a big place, lots of busy people visiting for short periods of time, shoppers, meetings etc.
I'd ban all cars in central London, except for the obvious exceptions. I'd have lorry/van delivery at night only and have a capital wide tram system. Simply taxing the **** off of mpg challenged behmoths isn't enough.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:42 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I lived in and around Greater London for 23 years. Give me the choice of driving into the centre or public transport and I'd take PT. Parking costs, aggressive drivers, worries about car theft, etc. The idea of sitting in a traffic jam every morning for an hour and again in the evening would be a great way to add 20 years on my heart. No thanks. I fully agree that PT is overcrowded and often dirty, but when I've returned recently some of the newer tube trains are great, and the buses seem to function fine. Am definitely with Clare, why buy a Porsche just to sit in a traffic jam with it?
Old 19 February 2008, 10:42 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

What I don't get is what happens if you drive 1000 miles in an "eco-friendly" car but only 50 in your sports car. Proportionally you would kick out more noxious fumes in the eco-friendly motor than you would in your gas guzzling sports car. It doesn't really seem to solve anything to me, merely punish those who have done OK for themselves.

On another note, Tesla starting shipping their cars last week in the US, a 100% clean fuel car that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds, top speed of 125mph and it does 220 miles on a full charge. How can a small company like Tesla manage to produce such a vehicle where all the major manufacturers seem incapable? Surely Ford's R&D lab is huge with an unimaginable budget, we should all be driving electric cars, no?
Old 19 February 2008, 10:44 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've hit the nail on the head IMO. It's just another money making scheme and people will pay it because either they have to or they choose not to use alternative methods of transport. It really shouldn't be an increase of the congestion charge, as this is nothing to do with congestion, but environmental issues, so as much as I disagree with yet again shafting people, it should be a separate charge. As you say, if they really wanted people not to use such vehicles, ban them altogether, that won't happen though, because they can't make money doing that.
Old 19 February 2008, 10:46 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

couldn't you just land him one ...

Old 19 February 2008, 10:47 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Yeah, 7.62mm straight between the eyes!!!
Old 19 February 2008, 10:47 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

If it was my only car, yes.

Just because you own a Porsche doesn't mean you're rich.

Remember also that this fine effects people living inside the zone.

And sat on dirty public transport isn't painfull?

Plus, what about those people who don't live in London and don't have easy access to Public transport?

Sounds like you've been brainwashed by Red Ken and his mate Gordon Brown.
I have definitely not been brainwashed. We have a Porsche and we're not rich, doing OK, but not rich. I certainly wouldn't commute in it as it would cost too much in petrol, wear and tear etc. That's why it's sat in the garage and I use a Signum or an Astra to get to work.

Perhaps I should have made it clear I meant commuting into London. There is a good train service from outside of London, with tube and bus links to get around once there. OK, so maybe it's painfull, but so is trying to get from one side of Northampton to the other on public transport.

Quick Reply: Well done Porsche - London CC