Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The overtaking lane ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2008, 07:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The overtaking lane ?

Was coming home this evening and was on a mainly clear motorway, I was "making progress" yet there was a PT cruiser in the outside/overtaking lane and there was nothing else there, he was doing 70/75, I gave it a couple of miles and gave him a quick flash of my main beam to let him know I was there so he just braked, so I just went through in the left hand lane and was then treated to the horn and his full beam, why not just move over ?

How do you deal with these situations ?, I was cold, tired and hungry and was in a hurry and could not be arsed waiting for a pillock in a PT cruiser to get the f*ck out of my way, flash once, then go through, he had a bluetooth headset on so with the PT cruiser as well he was obviously a bell end !
Old 17 February 2008, 07:38 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even after you flash and say they do move over how come after you have passed them they move right back over again.
Old 17 February 2008, 07:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

National speed limit is 70
Old 17 February 2008, 07:44 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I'd have done exactly the same as you. Shame that he'll probably think he was in the right though.
Old 17 February 2008, 07:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

are you referring to the subaru lane?
Old 17 February 2008, 08:04 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

J4CKO, I never bother so much as flashing them anymore, in fact I stopped that some years back as it only encourages them to do exactly what that tít did.

I make sure it's as safe as it can be and just undertake them. I find if you have made them feel silly without rubbing it in they quite often move across after you've made your move, rather than them speeding up and attempting to display their poor driving skills while gesturing their in-car bravado, until you might come to a stop that is, when they suddenly pretend they can't see you.
Old 17 February 2008, 08:05 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Talking

Originally Posted by kingofturds
And you're supposed move back to the left when you've finished ovetaking

That boils my p*ss summat rotten, you're stuck behind someone and you know full well the bellend in front is thinking 'I'm doing 69.978 mph so I can stay in lane 3 as much as I like' Kill em all rarhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 17 February 2008, 08:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I flashed a Ford Ka out of lane 3 on the motorway despite the fact lanes 1 & 2 were empty. I passed her and pulled across into lane 1. As I passed she was giving me a load of hand gestures and as soon as she had space, she pulled back into lane 3. Unbelieveable.
Old 17 February 2008, 08:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

The A406 is the worst road in the worl for this kind of driving, I dont know why but certain roads seem to have this worse than others
Old 17 February 2008, 08:22 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
The A406 is the worst road in the worl for this kind of driving, I dont know why but certain roads seem to have this worse than others
But it is usually packed and has a mainly 40mph limit, and it's not a motorway.
Old 17 February 2008, 08:25 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
But it is usually packed and has a mainly 40mph limit, and it's not a motorway.

Not at night, 50MPH in some places, I never said it was a motorway
Old 17 February 2008, 08:28 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Not at night, 50MPH in some places, I never said it was a motorway
Probably because 50%+ of its users have never passed a driving test.
Old 17 February 2008, 08:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, the speed limit is 70 (I did notice the wink KOT) and thats what the road captains think is their moral highground, but realistically on a clear motorway 70 mph is kind of slow , I was not feeling agressive, just not in the mood to sit behind for several miles, I was starving and cold from a days fishing, wanting to get hope for tea and to pack my stuff for my trip to Atlanta in the morning.

I am sure some do it just to goad you into a reaction, to be honest, if I were driving a cruiser I would be having a pop at the rest of humankind as well.

Its like the ***** that flas wehn you make a perfectly legal and safe overtaken on an A or B road, I overtook a Honda Jazz being driven at 30 in a national speed limit, indicated, move out, accelerated, left plenty of space and moved back in only to get the horn blasted at me, I thinkt he bumblers **** themselves when they get overtaken, too busy listening to the carpenters on Radio 2 and talking about bedding plants to notice the car behind getting frustrated at the low speed so they poo themselves when you go past and the only reaction they can think of is with the horn. I also think they judge the capabilities of your car and its overtaking ability as being the same as theirs, i.e. none.

So, get out of my way and all will be fine !
Old 17 February 2008, 08:32 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Probably because 50%+ of its users have never passed a driving test.
Yes well, it does start not far from Ilford so you may have a point
Old 17 February 2008, 08:35 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The AA and RAC have conducted several studies, asking people at motorway service stations what the three lanes are for. Usually 85%+ get it wrong. I always ask my learners and 100% get it wrong, obviously leading me to correct them.

A mate of mine once overtook a Land Rover on a country lane and in the next village whilst he was retrieving his coat from the boot, the Landy pulled up and the driver announced 'Don't you know overtakin's illegal ?' to which my mate advised him to go away and read the Highway Code

Last edited by corradoboy; 17 February 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 17 February 2008, 08:39 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
...Its like the ***** that flas wehn you make a perfectly legal and safe overtaken on an A or B road...
they're congratulating you. people are really friendly where i live - they're always waving and offering cocktails
Old 17 February 2008, 08:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The AA and RAC have conducted several studies, asking people at motorway service stations what the three lanes are for. Usually 85%+ get it wrong. I always ask my learners and 100% get it wrong, obviously leading me to correct them.

A mate of mine once overtook a Land Rover on a country lane and in the next village whilst he was retrieving his coat from the boot, the Landy pulled up and the driver announced 'Don't you know overtakin's illegal ?' to which my mate advised him to go away and read the Highway Code
Thats easy, lane 1 is for trucks, caravans and ladies, lane 2 is for old blokes in Rovers, lane 3 is for BMW's !
Old 17 February 2008, 08:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
The AA and RAC have conducted several studies, asking people at motorway service stations what the three lanes are for.
I'd reply: "You are entrusted to work for the AA or RAC and you're asking me! You need reporting and fast, that's a disgrace!"
Old 17 February 2008, 09:09 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats easy, lane 1 is for trucks, caravans and ladies, lane 2 is for old blokes in Rovers, lane 3 is for BMW's !
Well done, and to claim your prize please post your current driving license to the address supplied and you will receive one of these within 14 days....

Old 17 February 2008, 09:14 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Its only 70 for none SIs, its 80 for SIs, I sure thats right!
Old 17 February 2008, 09:22 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If all the lanes are empty and someone is driving along in the outside lane? Why do you have to move over 2 lanes to get past ?? There is nothing wrong with passing someone on the inside lane if you are driving normally and not making a blatant undertaking manouvere
Old 17 February 2008, 09:26 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but realistically on a clear motorway 70 mph is kind of slow
I really wish that someone would make a serious effort to push this point with the lawmakers of the land. When the motorway is clear, exceeding 70 is not dangerous. In fact I'd go as far as to say that doing 70 on a clear road in 1967 was far more dangerous than doing 100 in a car on a clear road today. Why? Cars today are far better built to handle and brake at high speeds.

On top of that if your trying to get home late at night, I'd argue that theres more chance of falling asleep at the wheel because you took an extra hour to get home than there is of crashing because you were doing 100 instead of 70.

The sooner we get to grips with setting sensible limits the sooner the police can get to grips with taking genuinely dangerous drivers off the road and not focusing their efforts on hard working taxpayers simply because they are an easy nick. I'm sure there are pleanty of people out there who regularly break the 70mph limit on a motorway who are some of the most competant and safest drivers out there.

Back on topic, I'd have done the same. I'd also make motorway driving a compulsary part of the driving test and make it a points and fine offence to not keep left on the M'way (police would need to make sure they kept video eveidence though). I'd also force people who got caught to take a 'motorway test' at their expense - short 15 minute run with an instructor with pass/fail based purely on lane etiquette
Old 17 February 2008, 09:39 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If he's in lane 3 you can safely pass him in lane 1
Old 17 February 2008, 09:40 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
I really wish that someone would make a serious effort to push this point with the lawmakers of the land. When the motorway is clear, exceeding 70 is not dangerous. In fact I'd go as far as to say that doing 70 on a clear road in 1967 was far more dangerous than doing 100 in a car on a clear road today. Why? Cars today are far better built to handle and brake at high speeds.

On top of that if your trying to get home late at night, I'd argue that theres more chance of falling asleep at the wheel because you took an extra hour to get home than there is of crashing because you were doing 100 instead of 70.

The sooner we get to grips with setting sensible limits the sooner the police can get to grips with taking genuinely dangerous drivers off the road and not focusing their efforts on hard working taxpayers simply because they are an easy nick. I'm sure there are pleanty of people out there who regularly break the 70mph limit on a motorway who are some of the most competant and safest drivers out there.

Back on topic, I'd have done the same. I'd also make motorway driving a compulsary part of the driving test and make it a points and fine offence to not keep left on the M'way (police would need to make sure they kept video eveidence though). I'd also force people who got caught to take a 'motorway test' at their expense - short 15 minute run with an instructor with pass/fail based purely on lane etiquette

NO NO NO NO NO and NO

It's not the cars that are the problem, it's the "general population"

Educate them first THEN raise the speed limit.
you do it the other way round and their little pea brains wont be able to cope.
Old 17 February 2008, 09:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I could have gone in four different cars, A pug 205, realistically 70 us about as fast as I would got in it, a Golf diesel (M reg) which might be comfortable a bit fast but neither has decent brakes, let alone ABS or any other safety gizmo,s I know we shouldnt rely on them but generally they come as part and parcel of a more modern and capable vehicle, My Saab feels very stable and the new Galaxy prett much as good, i.e. quite happy at speed that would get you banned.
Old 17 February 2008, 11:21 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopBanana
If he's in lane 3 you can safely pass him in lane 1
That's exactly what I'd do. Best to boot it to lessen the time exposed to the numpty pulling back into the inside lane during your manoeuvre.
Old 17 February 2008, 11:21 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

There are two over taking lanes on a motorway. If you are in the "fast lane" pull left, the pass the car, then pull right into the "fast lane" again that is undertaking. If you pull left and pass on cars on your right at the speed limit, you are ot undertaking.
Old 17 February 2008, 11:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs down

I ALWAYS undertake as can't even be *arsed to wait for the morons to move out of the way ... planks!

TX.
Old 17 February 2008, 11:40 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

you have to bear in mind that at any time, a percentage of the countrys population are clinically insane, they just havent been locked up yet, and inevitably, these people have access to cars, and motorways, they then believe the devil will eat their soul if they drive on the inside lane, or they'll be turned into a frog if they change lanes when the minute hand on their watch is on a even number, and they must lead a crusade to ensure nobody exceeds 70mph by being an outside lane blocker or the moon will plunge to the earth, this is why they get upset when you flash them.......so i just drive past on the inside and let them explode with rage in their own time.............fecking nutters.
Old 18 February 2008, 02:46 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Here's an educational film I made about driving on a 3 lane motorway earlier:
YouTube - m60 manchester ring road

I didn't go any faster than 80 leptons at any point in that film. It's speeded up, obviously

Quick Reply: The overtaking lane ?