Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do I give up smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 10:59 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any tips please. 10 minutes after flushing my Bennies down the bog and I'm fishing around in the ashtray looking for the biggest dimp

[Edited by Kippax - 1/21/2002 10:59:24 PM]
Old 21 January 2002, 11:04 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

I used the patches 2 years ago,doesnt make it easy but definately helps alot.

Good luck giving up,
Steve
Old 21 January 2002, 11:05 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I stopped nearly 3 years ago - I just stopped, I wasnt able to 'cut-down' - just threw the lot away and forced myself.

I still, even now, want a smoke sometimes REALLY bad!! so the urge never truly goes away.

I reckon I must be healthier - but it doesnt seem it ... although I do NOT miss that heavy chest feeling in the morning ..... that FIRST smoke in the morning when your head spins is still a nice thought mind you!

Think of the money!! £4:50 a pack, for me was £9 a day, was about £3300 a year!!! AFTER TAX!!! imagine what I had to earn to pay for that then!!!

Pete
Old 21 January 2002, 11:05 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

stop buying **** and go cold turkey - worked with me!!! ...hang no it didnt
Old 21 January 2002, 11:08 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Buy the book Allen Carr's Easy way to Stop Smoking.

It does work. Myself and several mates have all given up after reading it.

Good Luck.
Old 21 January 2002, 11:23 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Nicorette Inhalator worked for me. Gives you a rush when you need it (i.e. just before ripping someones head off). Eventually you forget to use it...

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 January 2002, 08:41 AM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agreed with msp1
Buy the book Allen Carr's Easy way to Stop Smoking.
Me and my girlfriend both quit after reading this book, do NOT use patches or anything else that gives you nicotine it's the biggest con ever! (exactly what are they getting you to quit exactly??)

Buy that book today! (I got mine from amazon but it can be brought from whsmiths etc...)

Cheers
Non Smoking Dave

[Edited by ScoobydoobyDave - 1/22/2002 8:42:32 AM]
Old 22 January 2002, 09:06 AM
Luke
BANNED

Just say "No" !!! Remember the anti Drugs campaign ad...

If you cant just stop smoking then **** you are in trouble. Just the thought should make you stop. Your suppose to be a man (If you drive a scoob!!)

"Will power", use it

Old 22 January 2002, 09:12 AM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Sorry Luke but thats crap

U dont understand nicotine then, it gets you addicted faster than any other drug known!! 7 seconds is all it takes to get to your brain, and the will power method is only 1/10 chance of working (I would guess), as you can be the strongest willed person in the world and fail

Get the book mate, trust me it will make things very easy as I went cold turkey for 4 days and was [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] all the time! , but Im chilled again now and actually enjoying not smoking!

Go for it mate!

Dave.
Old 22 January 2002, 09:15 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My girlfriend used the Niquitin CQ lozenges and she hasn't smoked for a couple of months now - after 20 years.....

Better than patches as you only take a "hit" when you need it. They are like Rennies so you don't have one unless you really have a craving!

Thanks

Gavin
Old 22 January 2002, 09:38 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

The book did it for me and the better half - I've been off them since 25th September, and didn't even get the urge to smoke while out on the **** at Christmas. It adjusts your thinking away from the brainwashing you have recieved about needing to smoke. It is tough for about 4 or 5 days and then fairly much a breeze after that
Old 22 January 2002, 09:43 AM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

P.S word of warning, dont try and substitute smoking with chewing gum or sweets or something or you'll be munching on them all bleeding day to no effect!!

Also if your serious about quiting, make sure you buy some fabreeze or whatever as once my sence of smell came back the car smelt nasty!!
Old 22 January 2002, 09:54 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

well I have just ordered the book for the Enemy as a present.

Will anyone have a spare bed i could use from tomorrow
Old 22 January 2002, 10:18 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thankyou for the advice. I think I'm gonna try this book. I don't want to die before I buy a 911 Turbo.

SdDave,

Are you saying it's not actually depressing being a non-smoker. I love my ciggies so much I am worried I'm gonna be unhappy without them. There a sign of good times for me you see.
Old 22 January 2002, 10:26 AM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Kippax thats exactly what im saying I do honestly feel better about my self too for quiting! If you want to talk about it any more feel free to mail me!

BTW you dont love your ciggies... I or the book can explain this...

Cheers
Dave
Old 22 January 2002, 10:40 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kippax - After a week or two you are happy not to smoke, and can take great pleasure from saying - I am a non smoker.
Old 22 January 2002, 11:12 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THIS IS A LEAFLET I GIVE TO MY PATIENTS ABOUT MEDICINES TO HELP THEM STOP.

Medicines to help you stop smoking

About 1 in 4 adults in the UK smoke cigarettes. And around 120,000 people die each year as a result. So it's not surprising that about two-thirds of smokers say they'd like to give up. But the nicotine in tobacco is very addictive, and stopping smoking without help can be extremely difficult.

This leaflet explains nicotine addiction. It also looks at the medicines that can improve your chance of quitting. These are nicotine replacement therapy, such as gum or patches, and a new non- nicotine treatment.

Why it's so hard to quit

Nicotine is a chemical contained in tobacco smoke from cigarettes, pipes and cigars. When you breathe the smoke in, nicotine is absorbed in the lungs and carried by the bloodstream to the brain. Nicotine triggers the brain to release natural chemicals that, in regular smokers, produce feelings of comfort or satisfaction.

Once the brain gets used to these feelings, stopping smoking suddenly can cause a craving for more nicotine. If this craving isn't satisfied, unpleasant withdrawal effects * such as depression, difficulty concentrating and irritability * can develop. This is a major reason why people keep smoking. Another reason is routines such as always having a cigarette after a meal or with a drink. The strong urge to smoke * known as ‘dependence’ or addiction * makes stopping very hard. In fact, only about 2 in 100 smokers who try to quit without help are successful.

Increasing your chances of stopping

Many smokers know why they ought to quit, but also that it's easier said than done. If you want to give up, taking nicotine replacement or a medicine called bupropion may help. However, these only work for
smokers who are committed to giving up. And neither of them is a complete substitute for will power.

Nicotine replacement therapy

Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) works by giving you fixed amounts of nicotine in each dose without the harmful chemicals in tobacco smoke. NRT is generally less satisfying than smoking but can reduce cravings. This can help with the temptation to smoke. This sort of help is becoming available through the NHS, sometimes in special ‘smokers clinics’. Ask your GP for more details.

Some manufacturers of NRT products also run phonelines or send out personalised information to provide support with quitting. A joint attempt to quit * with your partner, a friend or relative * might also help.

Products and availability

All NRT products are available without a prescription in pharmacies. Shops and supermarkets can sell the 2 milligram (mg) strength of nicotine gum. Chewing gum * Boots, Nicorette, and Nicotinell brands. Each piece of gum has either 2mg or 4mg of nicotine. The nicotine is absorbed mostly through the lining of the mouth.

Patches * Boots, Nicorette, Nicotinell and NiQuitin CQ brands. Strengths vary from 5mg to 21mg of nicotine per patch. Patches are stuck on to non-hairy skin for 16 or 24 hours. The nicotine is absorbed through the skin.

Nasal spray * Nicorette brand. A spray into a nostril gives about 0.5mg of nicotine, absorbed through the lining of the nose.

Inhalator * Nicorette brand. When you suck on the cigarette-shaped inhalator for about
20 minutes, it gives 3 - 4mg of nicotine in a vapour. Nicotine is mostly absorbed through the mouth and gums.

Tablet * Nicorette Microtab brand. You put this tablet under your tongue to dissolve, where it releases 2mg of nicotine.

Lozenge * Nicotinell brand. A mint that releases 1mg of nicotine when sucked.

Nicotine patches cost around £7 * 11 for seven days, depending on strength and brand. This is generally cheaper than smoking around 10 cigarettes per day (about £15 a week). Also, if you successfully quit,
the savings for a 20-a-day smoker are very big * around £1500 a year.

Is NRT safe?

Many illnesses linked to smoking are not caused directly by nicotine but by the other chemicals in tobacco
smoke. So taking nicotine as NRT is not as bad for you as smoking.

The nicotine in NRT can make people feel sick or dizzy, or give them headaches or a racing heartbeat. But
these side-effects are unlikely if you're used to smoking. NRT products can also irritate parts of the body they come into contact with. For example, a patch may make the skin underneath red or sore, and the nasal spray may irritate your nose. These effects go away when you stop using the NRT.

Can you get addicted?

Many smokers worry that they will give up cigarettes but get addicted to NRT instead. It's possible that stopping NRT suddenly can cause withdrawal effects similar to stopping smoking. But even if you end up taking NRT for a long time, it's less harmful than smoking.

Combining NRT products

None of the manufacturers recommend using more than one NRT product at the same time. However, tests with smokers have suggested that using patches together with gum or nasal spray may improve the chance of quitting and may help break the habit of smoking and so allow you to ‘wean’ yourself off nicotine.

Six different types of NRT are available in the UK. These are chewing gum, skin patch, nasal spray, inhaler device, tablet and lozenge. They give different amounts of nicotine, measured in milligrams (mg). The starting dose depends on how heavy a smoker you are. The dose is then gradually reduced over about 3 months and eventually stopped.

How well does it work?

Tests (clinical trials) with smokers have shown that using one of the NRT products nearly doubled the chances of quitting. Smokers who used NRT had around a 1 in 6 chance of giving up for a whole year. This compared with only a 1 in 10 chance for smokers who didn't use NRT. In these tests, all the smokers
received some form of extra support or advice. And this may partly explain why the chances of quitting were so high.

There's less evidence about which NRT product is the best. But the nasal spray may be more effective for heavy smokers than for lighter smokers. And, also for heavy smokers, gum containing 4mg of nicotine may work better than 2mg.

Extra support

Without some extra support or advice, your chance of quitting by using NRT may be lower. The support could involve discussions with your doctor or another trained advisor to help you cope with quitting * for example, on how you might deal

But more evidence is needed to confirm this. If you think one product alone isn't working for you, you
could discuss using a combination with your pharmacist or doctor.

Bupropion

Bupropion, also known by the brand name Zyban, is thought to work on the parts of the brain involved in
addiction to nicotine. The manufacturer recommends this medicine is started 1 * 2 weeks before you stop smoking, and taken for 7 * 9 weeks in total.

How well does it work?

There have been fewer clinical trials with smokers taking bupropion than on NRT. In published trials where
smokers taking part were well motivated to quit, bupropion at least doubled their chance of doing so. For
example, in one trial, smokers who used bupropion had around a 1 in 5 chance of giving up for a year. This
compared with a 1 in 18 chance for those not taking bupropion.

But, it's crucial to note that the people in these trials also received regular counselling. So, while the results
are promising, the benefits might not apply to smokers who take bupropion but don't have counselling as well.

Is it safe?

Some people taking bupropion get a dry mouth or have difficulty sleeping. It can also cause fits, so it's not
recommended for some people, particularly those who have epilepsy.

NRT or bupropion?

There's some suggestion that bupropion is more effective than an NRT patch in helping people to
quit for a whole year. But more tests are needed to confirm this, and to compare bupropion with the
other types of NRT.

Bupropion is a prescription-only medicine. Some NRT products can be prescribed on the
NHS. In the future, the Government plans to make all of them available on prescription.

Conclusion

Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and bupropion can both help reduce the withdrawal effects that
most people experience when they try to stop smoking. If you're committed to stopping smoking,
they may increase your chance of quitting. More evidence is needed to compare bupropion
with NRT. With both methods, it seems sensible to have regular support to help get the most out of
treatment. Ideally, people who are trying to stop smoking should get this support from a special
smoking clinic or smoking advisor. Ask your doctor, pharmacist or practice nurse about what's
available in your area.

Further information

Factsheets and telephone advice are available from:
NHS Smoking Helpline 0800 1690169
QUIT Line 0800 002200
Old 22 January 2002, 11:21 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Buy a big fat cigar and smoke it like a cigarette. After you've stopped throwing up reckon you'll be cured.

Old 22 January 2002, 12:05 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm taking Zyban at the moment. This is my second week, so I haven't smoked since Sunday night.

Not sure if it's going to work, as I still have very stronge urges to smoke

Cheers Phill C
Old 22 January 2002, 12:20 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Wink

OK I know about this one....My wife and I used to smoke 30 a day each and we gave up 3 years ago.

First of all you really do have to want to give up, it's no good if you think you want to stop. Then what we did was we entered into a car finance agreement that cost us exactly the same amount each month that we spent on cigarettes so in a way we made it so that we couldn't afford to smoke but we also rewarded ourselves for giving it up.

Mike
Old 22 January 2002, 12:27 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Babber buy that book, I dont know how people think they are going to give with NRT as you still giving your self nicotine! your just wasting money im affraid mate!

Buy the book and you will understand what me and the others who have read it and given up feel! I dont want that in my lungs any more and I no longer crave it, with NRT you may no longer crave it but thats cause your still giving it to your self!!!!!!!

Cheers
Dave

BTW Corner!
Old 22 January 2002, 12:34 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I've been off the cigs now for 15 months after taking Zyban..and I was on about 30 a day (or about 50 on a pissup) for 15 years. I'd tried all the patches/gums etc. before but Zyban was the one that done it in the end. Definately works but don't think I could go through the giving up process again. Loads of bad side effects, especially towards the end of the 2 month course. I could hardly sleep, my whole body constantly itched, felt really spaced out a couple of times a day.. etc. etc. Also i've put about 3 stones on :-(

still can't affort a scooby with all the money i've saved yet tho! lol

Old 22 January 2002, 12:42 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rob,

I felt so out of it yesterday that I couldn't go to work. I hope it get easier!! My eyes, lips, ears, everthing felt horrible!! I was wondering if it was the Zyban or a virus. Wife has been bad.

As for reading the book, my father was in hospital in the heart and lung ward (for two months) and the sad cases that I saw there should be all the encouragement I need!!! Pipes coming out the throats and all that.

I might have a look and see if the book is at the library.

Cheers Phill C

PS What I don't understand is I've been to Atlanta twice in the past few months and after a 10 hour period of no cigs I felt fine. I felt terrible yesterday

[Edited by babber - 1/22/2002 12:43:58 PM]
Old 22 January 2002, 12:45 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You can do it M8

I know what your going through but just remember that it's all worth it in the end.

Mike
Old 22 January 2002, 12:45 PM
ScoobydoobyDave
Scooby Regular

Wink

Babber,,

Before i reply again, I just wanna point out that I have nothing to do with the book other than it helped me quit!

It's not encouragement it's a way of quiting and like the books title its the EasyWay! the geezer even has clinics around and if you start smoking again after to going to one of them he gives you your money back!! Bargin!

Cheers
Dave
Old 22 January 2002, 01:13 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Talking

Kippax,

Try dousing youself in petrol 24/7 !!

You'll never spark up again !!

Sorry... patches m8... lots of 'em !! They do work !!!

John
Old 22 January 2002, 01:20 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I gave up smoking when I was 19. Despite being so young, I was already on a 20 a day habit. I used willpower then, and managed to not smoke for another 11 years. Throughout that time I still missed smoking, especially when I smelt a pipe or roll-ups (not that I ever smoked either!). However I started again 4 years ago and am now back on a 20 a day habit (up to 60 on an all-nighter).

In the last 4 years I have tried unsuccessfully to give up again using willpower. I've failed depressingly quickly each time- promising myself "just one won't hurt".

I've also read Allen Carr's book and it failed for me (and my sister and mother). Despite all his preaching, the bottom line seemed to me about the book was you will still need to use willpower to give up (possibly helped with NRT or whatever). My sister managed to eventually give up using the nicotine pills you put under your tongue. However, I personally found them disgusting and felt ill after a minute of having it in my mouth (imagine chewing a full ash tray). I still recommend giving the book a try though - it obviously works for some people (just don't think it is a dead cert give up formula)

IMHO, you really, really have to want to give up. Any half-arsed attempts will fail (the figures quoted above confirm this). You also need to tell people offering you a cigarette "no thanks, I don't smoke" rather than "no thanks, I've given up". People who smoke often feel compelled to make someone giving up fail (possibly because they can't give up). And you absolutely must never ever ever have even one cigarette ever again.

After 11 years of giving up, one cigarette at a Christmas party has cost me £6000 (so far) and god knows how much damage to my health because it lead to me starting again.

Lastly, if one method fails, don't lose heart, just wait a while and try another method. Hopefully you will find the method that works.

Good luck.
Old 22 January 2002, 01:21 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah, last time I gave up for two weeks, was achieved using patches for five days, then will power. I was more committed to doing it before, but really want to stop now

Cheers Phill C

LOL at the petrol comment!!!
Old 22 January 2002, 01:36 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I stopped for over 6 months last year and only started smoking again when i met a new girl who smoked alot. I've now stopped again and have had a few cravings. The real thing that drives me to stop is standing near smokers and realising how much it smells .I found chewing liquorice sticks from a health food shop really helped for me.

Oh and I can also see out of my windscreen now , which is nice.

I used ot smoke 20 a day , Camels, and weaned myself donw to 5 Silk Cut Ultras a day so my nicotine levels were probably fairly low. When I was smoking if I had many stoing **** like EMbassy my craving level was higher so I feel if you want to give up you need to reduce your dependenace on nicotine.

Allan
Old 22 January 2002, 01:50 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

AllanB,

Maybe your right about the cigs you smoke!! I used to smoke Bensons and did for many years, but I coughed all the time. Coughing in the morning was getting silly. When I tried give up Bensons, it would last for a few hours

I changed to Lamberts and almost straight away the coughing stopped. When I tried giving up on Lamberts I didn't find it that hard, and managed two weeks, then the dreaded craving got the better of me.

Not sure if it would help me, but reducing the Nicotene intake and the amount of cigs you smoke should make the craving less. Maybe it would be easier to take the plunge and give up. To late for me now, as I don't smoke anymore!!

Cheers Phill C

Quick Reply: How do I give up smoking?